post #91 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

And why would you pick a car when you could probably get about any vehicle you wanted?

Because a Browning M2HB mounted on a classic goat is just plain cool .. come on now ..

One of the few highlights of the show was the large selection of ordinance .. everything from the mentioned Browning M2HB to a Colt Single Action Army .. the folks that picked the weaponry really did do an excellent job ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
This show is lame... It's War of the worlds (Cruise one blew) and District 9 only in TV form...

The only thing I can say is, Will Wyle ever age?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Heh ... For some reason, I couldn't stop thinking about playing "Resistance: Fall of Man."

That makes it even worse. That game fails so bad.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #93 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

And I don't recall seeing a hood scoop on the 50 cal "GTO". But it may have been due to how intensively I was engaged in watching the interaction of four or five people shooting on full auto at one guy on the 50 and not hitting him for an eternity.

And why would you pick a car when you could probably get about any vehicle you wanted?

The aliens sent out an electronic pulse that killed all cars with computers in them and all electronics like tv etc

Oh yeah seen that before...Jericho. It wasn't done by aliens but they had to drive around in old cars because of it.
post #94 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds54 View Post

I was very disappointed with this premier.
First off, I only DVR shows like this, so I FF through all the commercials.
But, I found myself FF through much of the show too. The kiddie/sentimental scenes
do nothing for me. And the second half is spent fighting other Humans, rather than aliens. What happened there?Don't know if I'll watch again....

Scifi movie etiquette dictates that when humanity is threatened by an outside entity civilians and their military protectors must be in conflict. I'm gonne keep watching b/c it's summer and this is really the only psudo spacebased scifi on tv but its painfully obvious that this show is paint-by-numbers scifi.

- geeky everday Joe turned resistance leader - check
- 7 of 9 clone (once an enemy now a super warrior fighting for humanity) - check
- sexy yet compasionate doctor (Tamara from SGU) - check
- brash military commander that goes out of his way to show antipathy for civys - check
- A father and son who have differing ideas regarding how aggressive to resist (WotW) - check

I kinda hope Noah Wyle's character finds an alien probe on their next scouting mission just to provide a bit of comic relief. Everyone knows that aliens only travel to earth for proctology residency training.
post #95 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Boring. Too much militarism that didn't aid the plot line. If you're going to do something like this why not a "Red Dawn" type story with aliens as the invaders. Just another contrived TNT series. I think FX does much better when it come to shows worth seeing on a cable network. They push the envelope and this show's envelope seemed to collapse.
post #96 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromorris View Post

I'm gonne keep watching b/c it's summer and this is really the only psudo spacebased scifi on tv but its painfully obvious that this show is paint-by-numbers scifi.

Ditto .. after all, it can't get much worse .. ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #97 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
One small nit that I just couldn't get over was the Bataan Death March from Boston. Hostile aliens take over the world, exterminate all adult humans, and enslave children. So lets march away from their ship in broad daylight? En mass? Down the center of the city streets? Lets camp the civilians in the middle of open fields? wtf? Was there a single military consultant on this show?
LMAO...same thing I was thinking. And it even looked like the civilians were camped in some sort of small valley with hills all around them. I also couldn't figure out why scouts would be using loud-ass dirt bikes in the middle of the day. Or why they ended up staying in a school at the end when earlier they had said that some other place had too many windows and too many ways in...as opposed to a school with a bunch of windows and multiple entrances?

Bleh. It's not a good show, but there's really nothing else on so I'll probably watch for a couple more weeks at least. As an aside, the "skitters" look decent but the mechs look awful. How old is the BSG mini? 7 or 8 years? And those cylons still look much better than those mechs.
post #98 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post
LMAO...same thing I was thinking. And it even looked like the civilians were camped in some sort of small valley with hills all around them. I also couldn't figure out why scouts would be using loud-ass dirt bikes in the middle of the day.
The bike was discussed in the show, it was a choice between speed or less-noise so they clearly chose speed.

I don't really know why it's taking the aliens so long to find them either. Surely they have some kind of thermal imaging system that will cover a wide open area? Even humans can do that now using satellites.

post #99 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
One of the few highlights of the show was the large selection of ordinance .. everything from the mentioned Browning M2HB to a Colt Single Action Army .. the folks that picked the weaponry really did do an excellent job ..
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Falling_Skies

post #100 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Still. Even a regular bike would be a step-up from riding a leaf-blower to scout an area. But I guess if the aliens can't detect a mass of people walking around in the open, detecting one bike would probably be even harder.
post #101 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Multiple angles here...

First up... "Waling Dead is better"... well, Walking Dead isn't original either... and while I like that show, it isn't breaking new ground either for Zombies or for post-apocalyptic chaos.

Meanwhile... you might as well compare Falling Skies to Wagon Train... since Wagon Train involved a small group of people risking everything going West in hopes of finding food and safety, while avoiding dangers along the way and in-fighting... basically, the concept goes back a long ways

I think it is apt, however, to compare this to "V"... I found myself thinking about "V" a lot... this seemed like "V" IF we skipped the war and went right to the fight to survive... and if we didn't have all the pretense of friendship... then were just dumped right into the aftermath of the initial strike.

So... while there's not a lot of originality here, I think what we got was fairly well done and seems character driven... which is a good thing.

I was bothered, though, by how large groups of people were just wandering around in broad daylight... as if the aliens only hunted at night or something? Seemed like they would all be easy pickings walking down the road like that.

Breaking into smaller groups was a smart idea... to help hide... except if you still walk right down the main street during the day!

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #102 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
I thought it was pretty good for a cable-TV show. That said, what bugged me in particular is that it's clearly shot somewhere like Vancouver, when they're saying it's suburban Boston (where I live)- a blatant attempt to parallel it to the American revolution.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #103 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

One good thing I noticed about this show is that Greg Beeman (of Heroes fames) is involved. Even if the end product isn't that great he always seems genuinely enthusiastic about the process and audience feedback.

You can read his behind-the-scenes blog here:

http://gregbeeman.blogspot.com/2011/...-premiere.html

post #104 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
One good thing I noticed about this show is that Greg Beeman (of Heroes fames) is involved. Even if the end product isn't that great he always seems genuinely enthusiastic about the process and audience feedback.
I think my head exploded.
post #105 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post
I think my head exploded.
If you have any interest in television as a medium having Beeman on board is a good thing, because he sometimes goes into great detail about how a production makes it to the screen.

post #106 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
I thought it was pretty good for a cable-TV show. That said, what bugged me in particular is that it's clearly shot somewhere like Vancouver, when they're saying it's suburban Boston (where I live)- a blatant attempt to parallel it to the American revolution.
Shot in Toronto
post #107 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Because a Browning M2HB mounted on a classic goat is just plain cool .. come on now ..

I think it's a LeMans at best since it has buckets but no hood scoop.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #108 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I agree with the majority of the posts. I thought we would see the aliens arrive in the first episode, not jump right into it. I also thought WotW/Walking Dead. On that note, a buddy of mine said it's supposed to "pick up" after the 4th episode.
post #109 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post
Shot in Toronto
I figured. It was clear to me it was shot in Canada, so I find it quite a bit ludicrous they're trying so hard to push the analogy of the Humans vs Scitters= American Colonists vs Redcoats- going so far as to set it in the Boston, MA region, the birthplace of the American Revolution.

I'm curious to see if we'll see any other regions of the US/World, or they'll keep the focus going on the MA region.

Also, what I found to be a bit odd was if there was a EMP field going, how did they get their cars to start, let alone have working flashlights, batteries, generators, etc?

post #110 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I enjoyed it and thought it was pretty decent for a summer fling..Have they been pushing this show since the summer of 2010? I remember seen a preview in the theater last year.

Djoel
post #111 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
I figured. It was clear to me it was shot in Canada, so I find it quite a bit ludicrous they're trying so hard to push the analogy of the Humans vs Scitters= American Colonists vs Redcoats- going so far as to set it in the Boston, MA region, the birthplace of the American Revolution.

I'm curious to see if we'll see any other regions of the US/World, or they'll keep the focus going on the MA region.

Also, what I found to be a bit odd was if there was a EMP field going, how did they get their cars to start, let alone have working flashlights, batteries, generators, etc?

Hey, in Wotw weren't the main characters trying to make it to Boston to reach the kids mom?

Djoel
post #112 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 06:49 PM

Liked: 10
I liked the premiere episode alot and I liked the characters and even jumped a couple of times ;-) LOL !!
post #113 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
Hey, in Wotw weren't the main characters trying to make it to Boston to reach the kids mom?

Djoel
Yeah, maybe Spielberg has a jones for the MA region just because it is the birthplace of the "Revolution", and it's easy to make that type of parallel. But if you're going to set a show in New England, at least make it look like New England. As any good Boston resident can tell you- Toronto does not look like Boston!

post #114 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
HI ALL. For me it was LAME. Spielberg should be ashamed of himself, humans walking around in the middle of the day with aliens flying about. An nothing.? I DVR'ed it; and finding that I was fast forwarding it more than watching it. District 9 is example of effects and storing telling.

XBOX >cata1:mothballed; PS3+4  =  CHiNGOBLiNG   = RUBEN...
YOU NEED TO OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE THE PICTURE!!

itty bitty MAN CAVE:http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/32536

has now become>>.. "SHOE MAKER HOME THEATER"..click..>http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2341067/the-shoemaker-...

post #115 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 08:23 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Next episode take note the model year of all the functioning cars & trucks. I'm pretty sure they're all pre 1980 or so. I.e. Before electronic fuel injection and many of the computer controls we take for granted today. Cars of that era were purely mechanical so an emp would have zero effect. Flashlights have no integrated circuits to fry and the batteries are chemical and unaffected by the pulse. The writers actually got that part right. Now, I'm trying to recall if any of the military personnel used shortwave radios but I can't be sure. If so, those should've been toast.
post #116 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 09:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Next episode take note the model year of all the functioning cars & trucks. I'm pretty sure they're all pre 1980 or so. I.e. Before electronic fuel injection and many of the computer controls we take for granted today. Cars of that era were purely mechanical so an emp would have zero effect. Flashlights have no integrated circuits to fry and the batteries are chemical and unaffected by the pulse. The writers actually got that part right. Now, I'm trying to recall if any of the military personnel used shortwave radios but I can't be sure. If so, those should've been toast.

Don't all modern cars have spark-plugs? The newer batteries are all copper-free (no liquid)- they shouldn't work after an EMP should they?

post #117 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 09:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't think it's worth focusing on whether the car works or not.

It said in the prologue that the aliens targeted the military forces and cities so the vehicles could have been parked in a barn in the middle of the countryside and been completely unaffected by a localized EMP blast.

post #118 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

None of these movies/tv shows make any sense if you think about it anyways:

Any race with technology capable of interstellar travel can wipe us out in the blink of an eye.

post #119 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

But they don't want to wipe out the whole human race. They collect remote-controlled children for housework and cleaning chimneys.

Maybe there's a prize and the mothership that collects the most wins a $100 gift certificate to ET's Warehouse.

post #120 of 2463 Old 06-20-2011, 09:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

But they don't want to wipe out the whole human race. They collect remote-controlled children for housework and cleaning chimneys.

Maybe there's a prize and the mothership that collects the most wins a $100 gift certificate to ET's Warehouse.

Or a cameo in the next Star Wars movie bar scene!
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Falling Skies The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Falling Skies The Complete Second Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Falling by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page