'Falling Skies' on TNT HD - Page 75 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2221 of 2532 Old 07-05-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 751
I thought the reason they were keeping the Humans alive in the camps was to use them with Harnesses or something like with the kids? They said they had perfected it on the adults and was going to start converting the people within a couple of days at the camp that Tom was in. I thought that was the entire reason they were keeping them alive instead of killing them?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2222 of 2532 Old 07-05-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I thought the reason they were keeping the Humans alive in the camps was to use them with Harnesses or something like with the kids? They said they had perfected it on the adults and was going to start converting the people within a couple of days at the camp that Tom was in. I thought that was the entire reason they were keeping them alive instead of killing them?
Well, yeah, as of last episode, but since the harnessed kids, it seems like they didn't have much of any use for them other than to give the skitters something to do.

Maybe the Espheni are hosting their version of the "Running Man" game...

Damon Killian: There are still two stalkers out there. Dynamo and Fireball. Who do you think will make the next kill?
Elderly Lady: Oh my. That's a tough one.
Damon Killian: Come on, Agnes. You can do it. Who do you think?
Elderly Lady: Alright, I think the next kill will be made by... Ben Richards.
Damon Killian: No, no. Agnes, Richards is a runner. You have to pick a stalker.
Elderly Lady: I can pick anyone I choose. And I choose... Ben Richards. That boy is one mean motherf****r.

Actually, the show makes so much more sense that way....
aaronwt, Tack and ambesolman like this.
post #2223 of 2532 Old 07-05-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Note to self: *watch Running Man again*

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎
post #2224 of 2532 Old 07-05-2014, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 136
While watching one of the horrendous Nazi-like kids camp scenes, my wife looked at me and said "Where'd they get all those nice clean uniforms while everyone else is scrambling around trying to survive?"
ambesolman likes this.
post #2225 of 2532 Old 07-05-2014, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 364
The people in the paradise camp have clean clothing and water, too. Maybe the aliens borrowed some from the wackos in exchange for not attacking.
tomhunter8 likes this.
post #2226 of 2532 Old 07-06-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:

No, they clearly said they were not going to use the harness as it served its purpose. The camp is to re-educate the kids into their new army of soldiers. They mentioned how the harness had limits and served its purpose but this was the next step.

post #2227 of 2532 Old 07-06-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Wife and I have been loyal followers of the show since the beginning, but she checked out and has officially decided not to watch any more as of the middle of episode 2. Can't say I blame her. I made it through the whole episode, but there really wasn't enough meat there to continue with the series. It's just all over the place, and the hybrid space baby has kind of ruined the show for me. I'm going to give it one more episode, but that's going to have to be REALLY good for me to continue watching the rest of the season.
post #2228 of 2532 Old 07-07-2014, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
The problem is, when you're at war, the last thing you want is to have another war to get the resources for your battle. Make no mistake, they're expending a ton of resources fighting humans. It's not just the battles, either. They seem to love keeping vast numbers of humans alive in prison camps to do absolutely nothing to aid the war effort. They feed them and guard them with their own personnel as well as ships that have to hover overhead that supply power to electronic fencing. I seriously wonder how much they're getting out of Earth and the humans compared to the resources they have to expend to quell the rebellion - and that's not even taking into account the initial war to take over.

Further, these guys are idiots. If I were them, Tom would be dead. He causes them nothing but grief. He dies, so does the cause. Every time he's out of the fight, the human war effort grinds to a halt. If he died, I'm not sure the people would stand up and avenge him. They don't seem to know how unless he tells them.

At least in "V" (at least the original, anyway - I hated the remake), the aliens harvested us for food, which was at least a good excuse to keep humans alive.
Yeah with all the problems he has caused he would of been dead along time ago.

post #2229 of 2532 Old 07-07-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
No, they clearly said they were not going to use the harness as it served its purpose. The camp is to re-educate the kids into their new army of soldiers. They mentioned how the harness had limits and served its purpose but this was the next step.
Last night they mentioned how they would all be "Skitterized" soon if they did not escape. I wasn't talking about the re-education camp. But the camp where all of the adults are. They plan on converting the adults. It was that process that they had perfected.

LED DLP

post #2230 of 2532 Old 07-07-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 103
I wonder if Lexi is even Tom's daughter, or she has alien DNA implanted after conception? Still she doesn't look like Mom or Pop

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #2231 of 2532 Old 07-07-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So, tell me again, with all the worry about climbing the fence with the bomb, why not just toss it over? Pope certainly dropped it enough and still avoided having it blow. Further, wouldn't light a short fuse be little safer than having it go off 2 seconds after connecting the wires? Heck, why not use a big long pole and a sticky bomb instead of the foolishness of climbing the fence in the first place?. The cable appeared to be pretty close to the fence.

Further, why not sneak charges over to the entrance of the bunker where the skitters come in and out? Blow that and you reduce the number of skitters giving chase.

Further, shouldn't Tomhave covered up his map until he was ready to take off so, you know, he doesn't arouse suspicion when he's playing Geronimo?

BTW, it's awfully nice of the aliens to make their super fence posts so easy to climb with nice foot and hand holds. However, couldn't the humans have built some kind of Faraday ladder or would that make climbing too easy?

Finally, wouldn't it have made sense to block the entrance to the underground tunnels so the Skitters couldn't get in and catch them by surprise? Despite that, Hal was awfully mopey for losing what, one guy? Not bad for an entire camp escaping.

Last edited by NetworkTV; 07-07-2014 at 06:13 PM.
post #2232 of 2532 Old 07-07-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 416
One OLD guy who could hardly walk let alone run with everyone else[emoji15]

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎
post #2233 of 2532 Old 07-08-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, not sure I like what I watched just now. It was all over the place with to many holes and issues that were groan worthy.

post #2234 of 2532 Old 07-08-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
So, tell me again, with all the worry about climbing the fence with the bomb, why not just toss it over? Pope certainly dropped it enough and still avoided having it blow. Further, wouldn't light a short fuse be little safer than having it go off 2 seconds after connecting the wires? Heck, why not use a big long pole and a sticky bomb instead of the foolishness of climbing the fence in the first place?. The cable appeared to be pretty close to the fence.
I couldn't get past the fact that they've got enough explosives to bring down a building, but they don't just use that to blow up the fence post and its accompanying tether in one big boom. No Faraday suit or convenient hand/footholds required.
post #2235 of 2532 Old 07-08-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post
I couldn't get past the fact that they've got enough explosives to bring down a building, but they don't just use that to blow up the fence post and its accompanying tether in one big boom. No Faraday suit or convenient hand/footholds required.
Well, I can buy that the fence post was made of some "terrilium alloy" that is stronger than any metal on Earth, so they couldn't blow up the pillar while an Earth building would come right down after strategic weakening.

What I had trouble with was the need to climb the fence at all.

Further, what was stopping them from slipping between the beams? They looked far enough apart for someone to carefully step through.
post #2236 of 2532 Old 07-08-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Well, I can buy that the fence post was made of some "terrilium alloy" that is stronger than any metal on Earth, so they couldn't blow up the pillar while an Earth building would come right down after strategic weakening.

What I had trouble with was the need to climb the fence at all.

Further, what was stopping them from slipping between the beams? They looked far enough apart for someone to carefully step through.
A split second touch and you are vaporized. I don't think they would get many volunteers for that.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-08-2014 at 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling...doH!!
post #2237 of 2532 Old 07-08-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Anne has one of the most loyal bands of followers ever. In any other circumstance, when your leader tells you, "Let's go west, because I had a dream," it's grounds for mutiny, since the boss is obviously insane. Everyone seems to have no trouble trusting her, though.

Quote:
All the fence interactions we've seen indicate that it's a solid barrier with no ability to pass safely between the beams. It was probably just cheaper to do the graphics that way.

Speaking of visual effects, it does seem like this season has a higher overall budget. We've seen Skitters in every episode so far, whereas in past seasons they only showed up during major events.
post #2238 of 2532 Old 07-08-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
A split second touch and you are vaporized. I don't think they would get many volunteers for that.
I'm a thin guy and I used to have to slip through 3 wire electric fences all the time to get from one field to another back when I was younger. We never turned the fence off because we just avoided touching it and the controls were a half a mile away, anyway.

If it meant getting out of there, I'd totally volunteer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
A

All the fence interactions we've seen indicate that it's a solid barrier with no ability to pass safely between the beams. It was probably just cheaper to do the graphics that way.
I'm not sure that's what we've seen. Think about it:

- When the fence first came down, a guy running at it gets ripped apart when he hits multiple beams.
- When Pope is trying to get over the fence and the flying bug attacks, the air canon blows the alien into the beams and he gets obliterated.

Did we actually see anyone try reaching or sneaking between the beams?

If they wanted it to act more solid, I'm not sure making it more of a closed lattice would have been any harder to create in FX. Heck, it would have made far more sense to have the fence be a series of horizontal beams about 6 inches apart since they run post to post. Diagonal beams make little sense because it means the beams in the middle are essentially zapping the ground. If they zap people, why don't they do bad things to the ground?
post #2239 of 2532 Old 07-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I'm kid of surprised that an alien race as advanced as the Espheni don't have some kind of wireless technology to get power to a fence instead of having to tether it to a ship.
post #2240 of 2532 Old 07-08-2014, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If they wanted it to act more solid, I'm not sure making it more of a closed lattice would have been any harder to create in FX.
Maybe the production company charges for effects on a per-pixel basis. Green crisscrossing lasers cover a small percentage of the screen, so they're cheaper.
post #2241 of 2532 Old 07-09-2014, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post
The Faraday guy commented on this and said it wouldn't work. Can't recall what his exact words were though.

post #2242 of 2532 Old 07-09-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Maybe the production company charges for effects on a per-pixel basis. Green crisscrossing lasers cover a small percentage of the screen, so they're cheaper.
In that case, they could have just gone the Star Trek route and just had a solid invisible energy barrier indicated only by lights on the posts. No post FX required.
post #2243 of 2532 Old 07-09-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 674
LOST had the "sonic fence" around the DHARMA compound which required no visual vfx at all, just some foley effects and makeup showing ear and nose bleeds from the afflicted. That's how you do it cheap!
post #2244 of 2532 Old 07-09-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
LOST had the "sonic fence" around the DHARMA compound which required no visual vfx at all, just some foley effects and makeup showing ear and nose bleeds from the afflicted. That's how you do it cheap!

nottenst likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2245 of 2532 Old 07-09-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

While that would have done the job, the posts would have needed some indicator lights to turn off when the power is cut, just for the sake of Tom being able to know it the plan worked or not when he takes his high dive.
post #2246 of 2532 Old 07-09-2014, 11:50 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Anything important happen in the second episode. The DVR gods saw fit to purge it. Go to watch show and I see The Mechanic.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #2247 of 2532 Old 07-09-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
Anything important happen in the second episode. The DVR gods saw fit to purge it. Go to watch show and I see The Mechanic.
Nothing special....

Spoiler!
Keenan, Tack, gprace and 1 others like this.

Last edited by NetworkTV; 07-09-2014 at 01:57 PM.
post #2248 of 2532 Old 07-09-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Spoiler!

Nothing special....
Now that's what I call an episode ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2249 of 2532 Old 07-09-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Nothing special....

Spoiler!

Nice
post #2250 of 2532 Old 07-09-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
for the sake of Tom being able to know it the plan worked or not when he takes his high dive.
That reminds me: how did he survive that? I didn't notice a parachute, a giant stack of pillows at the base of the building, a swimming pool, a trampoline, or anything to break his fall, yet somehow he was fine.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Falling Skies The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Falling Skies The Complete Second Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Falling by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page