AVS Forum banner
149K views 3K replies 216 participants last post by  blade005 
#1 ·
#1,927 ·
The most unintentionally funny moment to me?

Near the end... Tom and Dan are talking... "What do we do now?" and one of them says "Go to Charleston and warn people about the relocation" and the other says "good idea"... Why wasn't that the ONLY idea? Really? They even had to think about that... Should have been priority one! I mean, Tom was elected the president of New Charleston and all... seems kinda like they would want to go back to their friends and family and oh yeah more people and supplies and weapons...

Meanwhile...

I feel jerked around a bit.

The Volm aren't evil overlords... that's ok... I was afraid they might be, but it looks like they just were viewing humans as children that needed protecting as they have done on other planets... but they revealed benevolence instead of malevolence... I liked that.

BUT... The "fishheads" suddenly want peace? Karen unceremoniously blown away... Annie and daughter back happy and healthy... magic daughter can kill eye bugs with her hands (I'm reminded of Eddie Murphy here... "Knives? I don't need knives... I'll cut them with my hands!")

So, what... back to war with the old enemy but not with super help from the new friends... but also less danger from the old enemy because they are fighting on two fronts.

AND... the name of the episode was "Brazil"... but the only thing "Brazil" about it was the Volm wanted to move the humans to Brazil but agreed not to do so!

I feel a little jerked around here... as if the whole season just ran around in circles to put us basically back where we were at the end of season 2.

#1,930 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel  /t/1301566/falling-skies-on-tnt-hd/1890#post_23596034

Oh and what happen to madam Pres..Unless I forgot something from last weeks epi, she was absent from the finally.

She's hiding out with Ben's girlfriend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2  /t/1301566/falling-skies-on-tnt-hd/1920#post_23599713

I forgot to add... after they fired the gun... and someone said "I expected more"... and then they waited... and then the building ultimately fell down... that whole sequence was cringeworthy as I had the same thought... I expected more.

It also didn't make much sense. It's like someone wanted to add suspense that the weapon wouldn't work, except that it did, which made the scene awkward. They might as well have saved some screen time by blowing the tower to bits immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2  /t/1301566/falling-skies-on-tnt-hd/1920#post_23598608

I feel a little jerked around here... as if the whole season just ran around in circles to put us basically back where we were at the end of season 2.

This is a sadly apt observation.

#1,931 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2  /t/1301566/falling-skies-on-tnt-hd/1920#post_23598608

The most unintentionally funny moment to me?

Near the end... Tom and Dan are talking... "What do we do now?" and one of them says "Go to Charleston and warn people about the relocation" and the other says "good idea"... Why wasn't that the ONLY idea? Really? They even had to think about that... Should have been priority one! I mean, Tom was elected the president of New Charleston and all... seems kinda like they would want to go back to their friends and family and oh yeah more people and supplies and weapons...

Meanwhile...

I feel jerked around a bit.

The Volm aren't evil overlords... that's ok... I was afraid they might be, but it looks like they just were viewing humans as children that needed protecting as they have done on other planets... but they revealed benevolence instead of malevolence... I liked that.

BUT... The "fishheads" suddenly want peace? Karen unceremoniously blown away... Annie and daughter back happy and healthy... magic daughter can kill eye bugs with her hands (I'm reminded of Eddie Murphy here... "Knives? I don't need knives... I'll cut them with my hands!")

So, what... back to war with the old enemy but not with super help from the new friends... but also less danger from the old enemy because they are fighting on two fronts.

AND... the name of the episode was "Brazil"... but the only thing "Brazil" about it was the Volm wanted to move the humans to Brazil but agreed not to do so!

Of course the fishheads suddenly want peace, their protective shield is down, the Volm are now here, and we have seen time and again their weapons are very capable of destroying the fish head armor/equipment. The Volm now have the numbers and have kicked the butts of the fishheads time and again. Wouldn't you try to ally with someone to turn the tide???

#1,933 ·
I thought is was an OK finale for the season .. we got some action, some backstory on the Volm .. I think they packed quite a bit into it ..

My biggest beef was the fact that the Volm weapon takes 10 minutes to recharge .. ?? Really .. ?? Your a super advanced alien race schooled for hundreds of years in Planetary warfare, yet your weapon takes 10 minutes to recharge .. ?? Come on ..

#1,934 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR  /t/1301566/falling-skies-on-tnt-hd/1920#post_23600255

My biggest complaint was the train, where did it come from, how did they get it working, how did they have people experienced in working the train, how were the tracks clear, etc.

Plus, wasn't that Volm weapon like insanely large under ground when they showed it??

You choose, the blue pill or the red pill? Although this is Sci-Fi with this show we really have to use our imagination and just "go with it".

#1,936 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR  /t/1301566/falling-skies-on-tnt-hd/1920#post_23600251

Of course the fishheads suddenly want peace, their protective shield is down, the Volm are now here, and we have seen time and again their weapons are very capable of destroying the fish head armor/equipment. The Volm now have the numbers and have kicked the butts of the fishheads time and again. Wouldn't you try to ally with someone to turn the tide???

Yes... but not the humans of earth who you had been exterminating or enslaving. Why would you think they would help you?

Imagine... when the tide of WWII started turning... wouldn't it have been laughable of Adolf Hitler to turn to the UK or France and say "please join with me against the US"? That's what we are talking about here.

Foreign aliens come to earth... kill and enslave everyone they can... fight the remaining humans... then another alien comes... allies with the humans... you still keep trying to kill the humans and the new aliens... THEN when the tide fully turns and you are on the ropes... you go to the remaining humans and try to side with them against the aliens that actually had been helping those humans? And you think they will listen and ally with you? Really?

Even with the Volm still being mysterious and unknown intentions... the one thing you do know is... those first aliens want to kill and enslave you... so on what imaginary world would you ever ally with them?

Tom and Dan and company reacted in the only way that made sense... attack and kill everyone there... it was just an insane idea for Karen's band to even entertain that notion.

#1,937 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2  /t/1301566/falling-skies-on-tnt-hd/1920#post_23602200

Even with the Volm still being mysterious and unknown intentions... the one thing you do know is... those first aliens want to kill and enslave you... so on what imaginary world would you ever ally with them?

Tom and Dan and company reacted in the only way that made sense... attack and kill everyone there... it was just an insane idea for Karen's band to even entertain that notion.

I came away believing the Volm have good intentions .. the banter between Cochise and his Dad did it for me .. and although I was a little shocked when Tom opened fire, it was certainly understandable ..

#1,938 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn  /t/1301566/falling-skies-on-tnt-hd/1920#post_23602231

I came away believing the Volm have good intentions .. the banter between Cochise and his Dad did it for me .. and although I was a little shocked when Tom opened fire, it was certainly understandable ..

Agreed. That's my take as well... that the Volm "seemed" suspicious but that came from them still looking at humans as children in need of protection but that Cochise had convinced his father that the humans were more capable than that.... then you know what Karen's group had been doing for years... and frankly had Tom not reacted like that I would have been really disappointed in the show.

#1,940 ·
The double standard with Karen annoys me, though. Ben, Hal, and Lourdes were all subjected to the same alien mind control and made to kill people and commit other atrocities, but they get a free pass, while everyone wants to see Karen dead. All their compassion for people who've been exploited by the aliens applies to everyone except her, because the show needed a villain who was less expensive to show on screen than the CGI overlord alien.

#1,941 ·
Let's talk about Karen ..

1) She was captured and harnessed by Skitters, However when no longer under the effects of the harness she clearly showed that she turned her back on humanity and serves the Overlords.

2) After the death of her Overlord, Karen was appointed by her masters to take his place, overseeing all military operations in eastern North America, including destroying the humans, the rebel Skitters, and the Overlords' interplanetary enemy, the Volm.

3) She would later be used by the Overlords to convince Tom to willingly give himself up in exchange for Ben's life

4) She has used the "white flag" more than once

5) She discovers that Anne is pregnant and threatens to electrocute both Anne and Tom's unborn child. Tom breaks and tells her that he'll talk.

6) She implanted the Eye Worm in Hal as well as Lourdes

7) She "skittered" up a wall

I think she ended up more Alien than Human

#1,942 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn  /t/1301566/falling-skies-on-tnt-hd/1920#post_23602521

2) After the death of her Overlord, Karen was appointed by her masters to take his place, overseeing all military operations in eastern North America, including destroying the humans, the rebel Skitters, and the Overlords' interplanetary enemy, the Volm.

This never made any sense to me, and of all the oddball writing choices in this show, this was the worst. The aliens would have appointed another alien to oversee operations on Earth. They would not appoint a human, harnessed or not. We're the inferior species being enslaved. We're like cows to them, at best. Why would they appoint one of the cows to be their leader instead of one of their own kind? In a best case scenario for Karen, the replacement alien-in-charge might continue to use Karen as his/her mouthpiece to communicate with humans again, but that's it. Can you imagine, if Cortes had been killed at Tenochtitlan, that the Spanish would put a conquered Aztec in charge of the Spanish army in their fight against the Aztecs? No. And that's within the same species. Karen's story line is the most ridiculous of the many far-fetched plot turns in Falling Skies.

#1,944 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2  /t/1301566/falling-skies-on-tnt-hd/1920#post_23602200

Yes... but not the humans of earth who you had been exterminating or enslaving. Why would you think they would help you?

Imagine... when the tide of WWII started turning... wouldn't it have been laughable of Adolf Hitler to turn to the UK or France and say "please join with me against the US"? That's what we are talking about here.

Foreign aliens come to earth... kill and enslave everyone they can... fight the remaining humans... then another alien comes... allies with the humans... you still keep trying to kill the humans and the new aliens... THEN when the tide fully turns and you are on the ropes... you go to the remaining humans and try to side with them against the aliens that actually had been helping those humans? And you think they will listen and ally with you? Really?

It's called desperation!

#1,945 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams  /t/1301566/falling-skies-on-tnt-hd/1920#post_23602933

I felt great satisfaction when Tom shot Karen, and the subsequent coupe de grace. However I question Tom's mental state when he gave his youngest son the alien BFG. It worked alright but their most powerful weapon should be assigned to an adult.

During the fight, Tom's middle son Ben had the alien gun. His spikes make him stronger, faster, more coordinated, etc... than everyone else. That's who I would give the gun. And he took down the mech.

#1,948 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn  /t/1301566/falling-skies-on-tnt-hd/1920#post_23602521

She was captured and harnessed by Skitters, However when no longer under the effects of the harness she clearly showed that she turned her back on humanity and serves the Overlords.

She's been harnessed the entire time. I don't remember any sequence showing that she got rid of it. They just haven't bothered to spend the money to show it in any recent episodes. I would speculate that the reason she seemed more like her old self as she was dying was that the harness had already died and thus released her from its influence, at least until Maggie shot her.

#1,949 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP  /t/1301566/falling-skies-on-tnt-hd/1920#post_23602427

You do know the Volms have their own agenda.

Can't wait to see that unfold..

I'm not convinced that the Volm have good intentions for humans once they've dispatched the other aliens.

Agree that Hal is way over the top stupid. Spilled my beer cheering when Maggie shot Karen.

#1,950 ·

Quote:

This is different. We are talking about aliens on an alien world about to be annihilated by another alien race, if they don't try, they will be annihilated. Adolph could just go back to his country and lick his wounds, these aliens are all in and extremely desperate.

#1,951 ·
I thought it was an interesting episode. Not a huge cliff-hanger like last season. I thought that the Volm were going to be evil overlords, and they still might. We'll just wait and see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives  /t/1301566/falling-skies-on-tnt-hd/1920#post_23602072

Both the train and the magically excavated weapon were big enough leaps to make it seem like we'd missed an episode. With all the filler this season, you'd think they could have cut some of the chaff to make room for a proper explanation of the season's main storyline.

My fiance was sure we'd missed an episode between last week's and this week's. Or at least cut off 30 minutes or something

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.