'Falling Skies' on TNT HD - Page 78 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2311 of 2328 Old 07-24-2014, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It's probably tough to try to keep coming up with small victories that are satisfying but would not lead to a rapid victory over the aliens. Remember when they wrote themselves into a corner with the super Mech bullets? They've got to win at times but avoid something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2328 Old Yesterday, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalierlwt View Post
Remember when they wrote themselves into a corner with the super Mech bullets?
"What if the third time you shoot them, they disappear?"
"I'm going to pretend I didn't just hear you say that, because that is possibly the stupidest thing I have ever heard you say."

cavalierlwt likes this.
post #2313 of 2328 Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
I guess I'm one of the few on here that actually like Falling Skies, and have watched the show from the beginning...which everyone needs to do to properly enjoy it. Yes, I do have some complaints though. The series has had its ups & downs like most, but I would like to see this story move at a faster pace. Also, I agree that some of the story line seems to get repeated way too often with the splitting-up of the Massachusetts Unit, and Dad pulling the disappearing acts.
Personally, I like falling skies.

The problem is, I want to love it and it just isn't good enough for that. I see so many ways it could be better, only to have it slip back into the same old things that annoy a lot of us. Even worse, they repeat things that have been done (and criticized) in previous SciFi shows. At times, it seems as though they're reading from the "how not to write for SciFi" manual and viewing it as what they're supposed to do.

The criticisms you made are exactly the things people complain about again and again on this show, but the writers keep throwing those things in as if they think it's opposite day or something.
post #2314 of 2328 Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalierlwt View Post
It's probably tough to try to keep coming up with small victories that are satisfying but would not lead to a rapid victory over the aliens. Remember when they wrote themselves into a corner with the super Mech bullets? They've got to win at times but avoid something like that.
The problem isn't coming up with something that gives the humans an edge - it's coming up with the right way to counteract it so they can't outright win and end the series. The simplest solution to the mech bullet issue would be to limit the number they can make. If they simply don't take down enough in a situation where they can collect the metal, they simply won't always have them.

Adaptive shields would be another way, but then you run into the problem of the humans needing to find ways to take down a mech that they haven't already adapted to or risk violating continuity.

Probably the biggest issue they've written themselves into a corner on is Tom himself. He's been captured so often, it make me wonder a) why anyone trusts he hasn't been compromised and b) why the aliens simply don't kill him and be done with it. The answer to "b" is that the show would be over, but it creates a discontinuity when he slips from their grasp in the process of handing the aliens a massive defeat, again and again. Further, he seems to be one of the few people able to rally the masses together to continue the fight, so killing him would likely kill the movement.

As a result, the simple solution is for him not to get captured. He's always on the outside trying to get those that are captured out. He needs to be a little less Kirk and a little more Picard and not be on every away mission. That's not to say he can't be put in peril now and then, it just feels like the aliens aren't even trying to defeat him and his army.

Of course, now we have Lexy who is a grown woman that has alien superpowers and becoming increasingly evil. She's also the child of two of the series heroes. That means, they only possible way to write themselves out of this is to have her have a change of heart at some point and sacrifice herself to save the humans in order to avoid the need for her parents to put her down. She can't just destroy the aliens and continue to live among the humans.

Honestly, I'm not sure where they go for the final season other than the typical everyone gets captured and escapes and we see yet another offshoot of the aliens we never knew existed in previous seasons.
post #2315 of 2328 Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This show isn't about Alien invasion. It is about how characters react to an Alien invasion. The pathos and drama are the brushes the auteur works with. It was never intended to replace Star Wars even though it is about a star war. It is on a cable channel with the budgetary restrictions that entails.
post #2316 of 2328 Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post
This show isn't about Alien invasion. It is about how characters react to an Alien invasion. The pathos and drama are the brushes the auteur works with. It was never intended to replace Star Wars even though it is about a star war. It is on a cable channel with the budgetary restrictions that entails.
...and we never actually learn the reason for the invasion, right....?

...now where have I heard that recently....
post #2317 of 2328 Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Presumably the early announcement of season 5 being the last one means that it will feature the humans winning in the end. If so, it might work out better for sharing Falling Skies with friends and family if you show them seasons 1 and 5 and skip everything in between.
post #2318 of 2328 Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Presumably the early announcement of season 5 being the last one means that it will feature the humans winning in the end. If so, it might work out better for sharing Falling Skies with friends and family if you show them seasons 1 and 5 and skip everything in between.
Maybe they'll pull a surprise and end it like Space Above and Beyond. That was one of the best series enders I've ever seen.
post #2319 of 2328 Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post
Maybe they'll pull a surprise and end it like Space Above and Beyond. That was one of the best series enders I've ever seen.
I enjoyed it when I read it in old UK comic strip The V.C.s.

It's amazing how much SAAB took from that comic and slipped under the nerd radar.

post #2320 of 2328 Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

I wasn't familiar with the comic, but I sure did enjoy the show.
post #2321 of 2328 Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Except that it wasn't really supposed to be the "end" ... it was just a normal seasonal cliffhanger. ... IIRC
post #2322 of 2328 Old Today, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
...and we never actually learn the reason for the invasion, right....?

...now where have I heard that recently....
Well, we may have heard the reason for the invasion this season. They want resources to help battle a bigger enemy.

If they keep that storyline, maybe the cliffhanger at the end of this season is the arrival of the bigger badder aliens and the last season will be the unified resistance against them.
post #2323 of 2328 Old Today, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
Except that it wasn't really supposed to be the "end" ... it was just a normal seasonal cliffhanger. ... IIRC
I was under the impression that they wrote the ending that way because the series had been cancelled, but I could be wrong. Either way, it was an outstanding ending.
post #2324 of 2328 Old Today, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
I was under the impression that they wrote the ending that way because the series had been cancelled, but I could be wrong. Either way, it was an outstanding ending.
I suppose it's possible that a few plot elements might have been "tweaked." It's been awhile since I've viewed any of it ...
post #2325 of 2328 Old Today, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I wasn't familiar with the comic, but I sure did enjoy the show.
Easy to miss. I think somewhere I still have the collected volume that I bought from a UK comic book store (Forbidden Planet?) when I was in London 20+ years ago. Another great strip from the best years of legendary comic 2000AD.

post #2326 of 2328 Old Today, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I guess my feelings on Falling Skies... is that I think it wants me to like it more than I do... I think it likes me more than I like it... I like it, but I don't LIKE like it...

It's a show that has all the pieces of being a good show, but somehow the total is less than the sum of its parts.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #2327 of 2328 Old Today, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
I guess my feelings on Falling Skies... is that I think it wants me to like it more than I do... I think it likes me more than I like it... I like it, but I don't LIKE like it...

It's a show that has all the pieces of being a good show, but somehow the total is less than the sum of its parts.
I like chocolate, steak and General Tso's Chicken. I just don't like them all mixed together.
post #2328 of 2328 Old Today, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
Because the producers are creatively lazy. They constantly ignore their own rules, use worn-out tropes and make the story too convenient even when it doesn't make sense.

Remember when you had to blow the legs of skitters because they were so hard to kill? Remember when "mech bullets" were a thing? When noise and light were problems? When Tom was escaping the Overlord used the kid to shout an alert. The skitters are all telepathically linked to the Overlords so why was he shouting? They should know.

The list goes on. The cast deserve better.

Last edited by VisionOn; Today at 01:33 PM.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Falling Skies The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Falling Skies The Complete Second Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page