AVS Forum banner
149K views 3K replies 216 participants last post by  blade005 
#1 ·
#178 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 /forum/post/20603202

If they can't track any less than 500 people, they probably can't track a tank.

But it's the roughly 3 gallons of fuel per mile that would be the biggest issue.

Don't forget, they can track heat, though. That tank generates a lot of it. Plus, it spews all kinds of visible black crud from the exhaust system. It's far from a stealthy vehicle. It's an intimidation vehicle. The idea is, your enemy bugs out and you don't have to ever fire a shot. These aliens wouldn't be scared like that, though.

The problem is, when the enemy fires back, a tank is a death trap during combat unless it can shoot. If you don't have shells, it's just a big oven to cook the occupants in.

It may be a great hideout from zombies, but aliens with lasers are a different story.

#179 ·
I have many of the same questions about the show. They have only shown two episodes of the show.

There is just suspend some stuff for a sci fi show. In reality - aliens that had the ability to just find our planet much less travel to it wouldn't let us walk hundreds of people down a street without noticing. Of course if they came and wiped out everyone - we wouldn't have a show.

I will say this is far better then "V"

#180 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV /forum/post/20603394

Don't forget, they can track heat, though. That tank generates a lot of it. Plus, it spews all kinds of visible black crud from the exhaust system. It's far from a stealthy vehicle. It's an intimidation vehicle. The idea is, your enemy bugs out and you don't have to ever fire a shot. These aliens wouldn't be scared like that, though.

The problem is, when the enemy fires back, a tank is a death trap during combat unless it can shoot. If you don't have shells, it's just a big oven to cook the occupants in.

It may be a great hideout from zombies, but aliens with lasers are a different story.

Yeah, but it will burn about any fuel that can be put in it .. 500 gallon fuel tank will take you a long way .. it may have some downsides, but I'll take it ...

#181 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark /forum/post/20600660

While gas does go bad eventually, mostly from evaporation of the volatiles leaving behind a gooey mess, I don't subscribe to the Stabil ads that show the guy who left his boat/mower/chainsaw over the winter and it won't start cuz he didn't put Stabil in it. I've heard stories about old gas going sour but never have experienced it and I've kept gas in sealed containers for over six months w/ no apparent harmful effects.

My old car(chevy Cavalier) recently sat for an entire year. I charged the battery and it started right up. I had 3/4 of a tank of gas in it. It had no issues running for the few days I drove it.

I like this show. It's of course not the best, but it is Summer and viewing choices are limited in Summer. If it were on in the regular viewing season I would probably still watch it but it would also depend on what other shows I'm watching.

#182 ·
I'd like to see if an armed Abrams could stand up to the aliens Laser, and fire back.

You know someone will get a P51 Mustang or maybe a B25 and drop a few bombs. Then again the aliens might shoot them down, if they have the command and control to track them. 30 seconds over Aliens??? My Dad was in flight school with one of the Pilots on the Doolittle Raid.....

#183 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson /forum/post/20596433

I'd say that if there are more than two or three weekly dramas that you think are better than this one, I don't trust your taste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn /forum/post/20596469

What a ridiculous statement. If you can't find three shows on television with better writing, acting or creativity then you don't pay enough attention ... Thrones just finished, Justified, FNL, The Good Wife, Fringe and those are just the ones I watched recently. When you get into other shows that I haven't kept up with like Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, True Blood, Dexter et al. I think you'll find a lot of people will be able to come up with a far greater list.

I don't know whether cwilson's claim that there aren't but two or three shows running that are better than Falling Skys is "ridiculous" but I will say that I don't trust his taste.

Virtually every actor in Falling Skys was painfully miscast, beginning with the easy going pretty boy from central casting, Noah Wylie, playing a hardbitten fighting man. Puhlease! The actor playing Wylie's son is 25, although Wylie was only 39 when the series began. To put it gently, that doesn't work. Finally, although Will Patton is one of my favorite actors, he is entirely wrong for the role of Captain Weaver, a man whose bitterness and anger have so destroyed his leadership ability, he is serially betrayed by his underlings. For Patton to be at his best he needs a role portraying men with subtlety and complexity, neither of which Weaver seems to possess.

All of the foregoing said, the show had its moments. I got a big kick out of the way Maggie, the girl who the criminals had kidnapped and sexually abused, got even when she had the chance. There was, alas, not much else in the first two hours that came close to being as good. I agree with what other posters have said, the show is average at best. I will stick around for another episode or two but if it isn't a lot better than the pilot by then, I will be deleting my season pass.

#184 ·
My old 360cc Yamy Enduro would go anywhere pretty quick. It topped out at about 95mph but could travel in the woods as easily as on the road. A small mod to the exhaust, and it could be as quite as a mouse in church.

#185 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock /forum/post/20603218

It seems like the media is flooded with articles this week with fluff about how good "Falling Skies" is doing. I guess the Spielberg name and marketing machine are still an intimating factor among the Hollywood reporting media.

I saw a bunch of puff pieces touting Falling Skies, too. They left me wondering whether the critics who wrote them had actually seen the show. I saw what I thought was a far more accurate review here , though. Money quote:

Quote:
Within the first episode of Falling Skies, so many plot points, suitable for exploration or development, have been raised, rejected and resolved. Who knows where it will go next. I'm certainly not willing to find out.

#188 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca /forum/post/20603906

I'd like to see if an armed Abrams could stand up to the aliens Laser, and fire back.

Isn't that something Mythbusters could tackle?

"Could Abrams armor withstand directed energy weapons?"

#190 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/20604944

^I see we meet again on the field of cinematic nightmares......hmmmm.....

I predict this will be a very short-lived series.

Yep, Newton Minow was right, television really is a vast wasteland.
Why is it that so many TV series with talented ensemble casts and excellent production values are brought down by writing that is pedestrian or worse? What a waste of talent Falling Skies has been so far!

#191 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/20604929

I saw a bunch of puff pieces touting Falling Skies, too. They left me wondering whether the critics who wrote them had actually seen the show. I saw what I thought was a far more accurate review here , though. Money quote:

denofgeek.com .. ?? Come on now .. no true geek is gonna like this show .. come to think of it, maybe that's why some on the thread continue to slam it ..

#194 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/20606476

denofgeek.com .. ?? Come on now .. no true geek is gonna like this show .. come to think of it, maybe that's why some on the thread continue to slam it ..

I know nothing about the critic I quoted or who he writes for. I linked to his piece only because I though it was spot on. Why would "geeks" dislike the show? I confess I am one but my dislike of Falling Skies has nothing to do with its underlying scientific assumptions. But it has everything to do with serial miscasting of actors and writing that, so far at least, has mostly been bad.

#195 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/20606765

I know nothing about the critic I quoted or who he writes for. I linked to his piece only because I though it was spot on. Why would "geeks" dislike the show? I confess I am one but my dislike of Falling Skies has nothing to do with its underlying scientific assumptions. But it has everything to do with serial miscasting of actors and writing that, so far at least, has mostly been bad.

denofgeek.com seems like a really well known and respected spot for articulate and thoughtful material ..

as well, we are all entitled to our opinions .. I take the show for what it is .. there have been worse ..

Why would "geeks" dislike the show? underlying scientific assumptions .. you answered your own question ..

#196 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva /forum/post/20606713

Odd to pick a show runner before you even know if you have a 2nd season.

Or is that a sign they don't like what the 1st season show runner did?

The article said he was Spielberg's first choice to run "Falling Skies" but had other commitments. So he probably wanted to lock him in for season 2 while he had the chance. Plus they said most of the writers for Season 1 are on other projects now since it was such a long time from production to airing of the show.

#198 ·
I liked it okay. Not enough aliens. Still, it didn't have that unrelenting unpleasantness that The Walking Dead had. Many around these parts thought that show was the greatest thing since pressed ham.

It did give you lots more monsters, but its monsters were easier to do than Falling Skies'.

#199 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood /forum/post/20607894

I liked it okay. Not enough aliens. Still, it didn't have that unrelenting unpleasantness that The Walking Dead had. Many around these parts thought that show was the greatest thing since pressed ham.

It did give you lots more monsters, but its monsters were easier to do than Falling Skies'.

Walking Dead is the greatest thing since pressed ham.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.