'Falling Skies' on TNT HD - Page 80 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 267Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDMe2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kittrell, NC
Posts: 6,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
I like Falling Skies but almost wish they'd kill her off. She was a good doctor/love interest character. But I can't stand her as the leader of the group. What were her qualifications? Having sex with Tom? George Washington was a fearless leader, but I'm glad Martha didn't try to command the troops
When did Moon become the leader?

Their group was splintered... the small group with her she sort-of led... but now that everyone is back together, she isn't the "boss of everyone"... Last I knew Tom was still their elected President... but if they merged with people who were with the other elected President, then I don't know how that works.

The Doctor... the Original, you might say!
Where I am when I'm not here!
HDMe2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-05-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NickTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
When did Moon become the leader?

Their group was splintered... the small group with her she sort-of led... but now that everyone is back together, she isn't the "boss of everyone"... Last I knew Tom was still their elected President... but if they merged with people who were with the other elected President, then I don't know how that works.
Not the leader-leader, but she was clearly the one leading the push to town. For that small group.
NickTheGreat is offline  
Old 08-05-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tomhunter8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Not the leader-leader, but she was clearly the one leading the push to town. For that small group.
She was definitely the leader of that militia group. She was barking out orders and planning strategies. When I first saw her leading them I just rolled my eyes and said "When did she go from doctor to commander?" Typical plot skip for this show though.

I used to long for more sci-fi on TV. Now I know what they mean by "Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it."
tomhunter8 is offline  
Old 08-05-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 12,817
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked: 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
I like Falling Skies but almost wish they'd kill her off. She was a good doctor/love interest character. But I can't stand her as the leader of the group. What were her qualifications? Having sex with Tom? George Washington was a fearless leader, but I'm glad Martha didn't try to command the troops
I felt like her assuming that role was a new low for the show as far as any sort of continuity goes ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
Old 08-05-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Leaky Tiki
Posts: 12,397
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4045 Post(s)
Liked: 8478
Both Lexi and Moon need to go.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
Old 08-05-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,564
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 1185
I'm surprised at all the hate for Anne. I've thought Lourdes was a much bigger drag this season, especially since she went from nurse to spy to a religious zealot suddenly willing to die for an alien she hardly knew.
Aleron Ives is offline  
Old 08-05-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5,085
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I'm surprised at all the hate for Anne. I've thought Lourdes was a much bigger drag this season, especially since she went from nurse to spy to a religious zealot suddenly willing to die for an alien she hardly knew.

+1 and she got her wish
ambesolman is online now  
Old 08-06-2014, 12:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 13,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I'm surprised at all the hate for Anne. I've thought Lourdes was a much bigger drag this season
This season? Lourdes has sucked since season two. Every season she comes back as another character with some ridiculous jump in character arc that makes no sense. The audience expect Lourdes to automatically suck, but I guess the difference for many with Anne is that her character was okay for most of the run.


VisionOn is online now  
Old 08-06-2014, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,564
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 1185
I've thought Lourdes has sucked for pretty much the entire series except season 2, but I still think the hate for Anne this season is a bit unfair. Both she and Tom are being irrational in their defense of Lexi, especially since Tom said he would kill her if she posed a threat and then did nothing when he saw that she clearly did. If Anne is annoying this season and needs to die, then Tom does, too.

Of course for all the reasons pointed out earlier with all his ridiculous capture-and-escape scenarios, he really should have died a long time ago. Then again, so should everybody else. Humans surely wouldn't have stood a chance against aliens with the technological prowess to construct ships capable of intergalactic travel. I guess we can add that to the list of science fiction tropes this series uses: not only are the aliens terrible shots, but they're somehow too stupid to exterminate a species that would realistically stand no chance against their superior technology.
Aleron Ives is offline  
Old 08-06-2014, 04:07 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 27,807
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4086 Post(s)
Liked: 2435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I've thought Lourdes has sucked for pretty much the entire series except season 2, but I still think the hate for Anne this season is a bit unfair. Both she and Tom are being irrational in their defense of Lexi, especially since Tom said he would kill her if she posed a threat and then did nothing when he saw that she clearly did. If Anne is annoying this season and needs to die, then Tom does, too.

Of course for all the reasons pointed out earlier with all his ridiculous capture-and-escape scenarios, he really should have died a long time ago. Then again, so should everybody else. Humans surely wouldn't have stood a chance against aliens with the technological prowess to construct ships capable of intergalactic travel. I guess we can add that to the list of science fiction tropes this series uses: not only are the aliens terrible shots, but they're somehow too stupid to exterminate a species that would realistically stand no chance against their superior technology.
Isn't this true of most alien invasion shows/movies? It is certainly nothing new. It would be a boring show if everyone was just killed outright.
aaronwt is offline  
Old 08-06-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gprace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 4381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I've thought Lourdes has sucked for pretty much the entire series except season 2, but I still think the hate for Anne this season is a bit unfair. Both she and Tom are being irrational in their defense of Lexi, especially since Tom said he would kill her if she posed a threat and then did nothing when he saw that she clearly did. If Anne is annoying this season and needs to die, then Tom does, too.
Pope for president.
gprace is offline  
Old 08-06-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 10,772
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2465 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Well, maybe the Espheni really don't understand their technology, either. Maybe they stole it from another group who are really ticked off and are coming to take it back.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
Old 08-06-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 31,047
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1907 Post(s)
Liked: 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Well, maybe the Espheni really don't understand their technology, either. Maybe they stole it from another group who are really ticked off and are coming to take it back.
Apple?
mike1812 and VisionOn like this.
Keenan is online now  
Old 08-06-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,564
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Well, maybe the Espheni really don't understand their technology, either. Maybe they stole it from another group who are really ticked off and are coming to take it back.
The Ancients?
Aleron Ives is offline  
Old 08-07-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vfxproducer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,181
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The Ancients?
The Shadows would be more fun.
vfxproducer is offline  
Old 08-07-2014, 04:20 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 3,651
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 385
That last episode was so bad, in a way that was comical.

I think they have a group of 10 year old kids writing the shows, with just one "professional" writer making their ideas look legit. But whatever they say goes.


Those robots were befuddled by smoke. That's some sweet tech they got.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is offline  
Old 08-08-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 10,772
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2465 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Supposedly they have an all-new writing team this year. It's hardly surprising that the storylines are inconsistent with previous years.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
Old 08-08-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garrett Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Stockton, CA USA
Posts: 2,958
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Supposedly they have an all-new writing team this year.
That's because the writers last year graduated and moved on to secondary school.
mike1812 likes this.
Garrett Adams is offline  
Old 08-08-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
That's because the writers last year graduated and moved on to secondary school.
LOL
cajieboy is offline  
Old 08-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
nottenst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bowie, MD
Posts: 827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Just caught up with the most recent two episodes. The whole Lexi plot appears to have hit a new low and may be getting even worse with her "turning?" Ben.

This last episode sure reduced the cast of name and red-shirt characters. Some characters that have been with the show for quite some time are now dead.
nottenst is offline  
Old 08-10-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,005
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottenst View Post
Just caught up with the most recent two episodes. The whole Lexi plot appears to have hit a new low and may be getting even worse with her "turning?" Ben.

This last episode sure reduced the cast of name and red-shirt characters. Some characters that have been with the show for quite some time are now dead.
Budgetary considerations ... more to follow as the ratings drop lower and lower. Now, if they could just write Lexi off the show ...
RayGuy is online now  
Old 08-11-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 10,772
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2465 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
My understanding is that the season has already been completely shot, with maybe some post production left. I.e. the quality and cast membership of individual episodes is unaffected by ratings, and they've already said that next season (#5) will be the last. My guess is that cast members were eliminated in order to have more money available for special effects.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
Old 08-11-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Budgetary considerations ... more to follow as the ratings drop lower and lower. Now, if they could just write Lexi off the show ...
Makes you wonder how much deniro it took to lure Mira Sorvino to join the show.

Last night's episode was an improvement to me, and the pace picked-up a bit. Sorvino is a first rate actress, and can only hope her addition will make for some more interesting storylines. Couldn't hurt, that's for sure.

Last edited by cajieboy; 08-11-2014 at 10:08 AM.
cajieboy is offline  
Old 08-11-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 27,807
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4086 Post(s)
Liked: 2435
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Makes you wonder how much deniro it took to lure Mira Sorvino to join the show.

....
It's not like she is an A list actress. Far from it.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
Old 08-11-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sharp1080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Calif
Posts: 2,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It's not like she is an A list actress. Far from it.
It is obvious there wasn't too much dinero involved at least judging her role on this show!
Sharp1080 is offline  
Old 08-11-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It's not like she is an A list actress. Far from it.
If not, then please tell me what alphabet letter you would categorize an Academy Award & Golden Globe winning Actress that's also been nominated for two other Golden Globe Awards and an Emmy for her other work??
cajieboy is offline  
Old 08-11-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 13,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
If not, then please tell me what alphabet letter you would categorize an Academy Award & Golden Globe winning Actress that's also been nominated for two other Golden Globe Awards and an Emmy for her other work??
B

Her name cannot open a movie and despite her awards (which were a long time ago) she does a lot of television now.

She still probably costs more than 90% of the other cast members on the show however.


VisionOn is online now  
Old 08-11-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Leaky Tiki
Posts: 12,397
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4045 Post(s)
Liked: 8478
I'd rate her a B-, or a solid C+

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
Old 08-11-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
B

Her name cannot open a movie and despite her awards (which were a long time ago) she does a lot of television now.

She still probably costs more than 90% of the other cast members on the show however.
Maybe not open for the next Transformer flick, but given the right script/story and ensemble, she's quite capable and has a proven track record to show she can deliver.
cajieboy is offline  
Old 08-11-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 13,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Maybe not open for the next Transformer flick, but given the right script/story and ensemble, she's quite capable and has a proven track record to show she can deliver.
Irrelevant. She cannot sell tickets on her name alone. That's one of the major indicators of an A-lister.

She can act but that doesn't make her anymore bankable than the hundreds of other major supporting actors out there.


VisionOn is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
Falling Skies The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Falling Skies The Complete Second Season Blu Ray
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off