AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Can you say cougar alert.....
Every time I see that word I think of that horrible episode of 24.
mike1812 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2532 Old 09-17-2014, 02:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Tragedy hits filming of the 5th and final season of Falling Skies:

Production on sci-fi series Falling Skies halted after crew member killed in freak accident on set.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ident-set.html

Arvy
post #2523 of 2532 Old 09-17-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 89
That DOES sound like a freak accident. How terrible

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2524 of 2532 Old 09-17-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I myself would not call it a "freak accident". Trucks don't roll down the hill by themselves. The driver didn't secure the truck in gear and with the parking brake on. That's taught to everyone who drives a large heavy vehicle. Sad story.
post #2525 of 2532 Old 09-17-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I myself would not call it a "freak accident". Trucks don't roll down the hill by themselves. The driver didn't secure the truck in gear and with the parking brake on. That's taught to everyone who drives a large heavy vehicle. Sad story.
And if it was on hill as mentioned it should have been chalked chocked as well. I wouldn't call it a freak accident either, it sounds very much like negligence.

Last edited by Keenan; 09-19-2014 at 10:25 AM. Reason: spelling
post #2526 of 2532 Old 09-19-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
And if it was on hill as mentioned it should have been chalked as well. I wouldn't call it a freak accident either, it sounds very much like negligence.
"Chocked", not "chalked", but yes, it should have been.

Any time we have vehicles parked in areas where crew will be walking near them, we always chock the wheels, even on the flat. That even goes for disconnected trailers, too.

The only time we don't do it is when the truck is at a loading dock (all them are on level ground and the vehicles are usually in reverse when parked) or when the driver is sitting in the driver's seat.

Heck, even the postal employees chock their wheels when they get out of the mail trucks. I'm always seeing those chocks with the big long handles on them against at least one wheel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2527 of 2532 Old 09-19-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 623
'A five-ton truck parked on a six per cent slope had been left unattended.'

That's may not seem like a steep slope, but it's enough to get the vehicle rolling rather quickly in a short time .. obviously negligence on whoever was in charge of the truck ..

A sad story indeed .. anytime someone dies due to something that could be prevented ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2528 of 2532 Old 09-19-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
'A five-ton truck parked on a six per cent slope had been left unattended.'

That's may not seem like a steep slope, but it's enough to get the vehicle rolling rather quickly in a short time .. obviously negligence on whoever was in charge of the truck ..

A sad story indeed .. anytime someone dies due to something that could be prevented ..
In railroad terms, a 6% slope often means adding helper engines. In truck terms, hills over 6% would have low gear warnings on the downhill side. 8% would likely have runaway truck ramps.

Obviously, this was in some sort of residential area, so the hills wouldn't be as long to normally worry about the grade, but steep is steep when a truck is rolling without a driver.

Last edited by NetworkTV; 09-19-2014 at 08:39 AM.
post #2529 of 2532 Old 09-19-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
In railroad terms, a 6% slope often means adding helper engines. In truck terms, hills over 6% would have low gear warnings on the downhill side. 8% would likely have runaway truck ramps.
Yes, that info was pretty much the basis of my post .. having motorcycled through the Rockies and other mountainous areas, I've actually witnessed a truck lose it on the downhill, and when you're at the peak of the grade looking down, it looks pretty damn steep .. especially on a bike ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2530 of 2532 Old 09-19-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Yes, that info was pretty much the basis of my post .. having motorcycled through the Rockies and other mountainous areas, I've actually witnessed a truck lose it on the downhill, and when you're at the peak of the grade looking down, it looks pretty damn steep .. especially on a bike ..
Having once pushed a broken down motorcycle up a 6% grade, I can tell you that it looks pretty damned steep going up, too...

Thankfully, it wasn't a Goldwing...

post #2531 of 2532 Old 09-19-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Having once pushed a broken down motorcycle up a 6% grade, I can tell you that it looks pretty damned steep going up, too...

Thankfully, it wasn't a Goldwing...
I'm afraid that now, at my age, a bike of any size would be forced to the side as I tried to just walk my own ass up that grade ..
mike1812 likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #2532 of 2532 Old 09-19-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Obviously, this was in some sort of residential area, so the hills wouldn't be as long to normally worry about the grade, but steep is steep when a truck is rolling without a driver.
There are no 6 per cent slopes (or grades) in railroads. Too steep. The closest one was the (close to) 5 per cent grade at Saluda Grade in North Carolina, run by Norfolk Southern, and they stopped running trains on it in December 2001, and disconnected it from the system in April 2003. (Info for Saluda Grade from the Wikipedia page)

The steepest grade for trains is usually no more than 2.2 per cent.
post #2533 of 2532 Old 09-19-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
"Chocked", not "chalked", but yes, it should have been.

Any time we have vehicles parked in areas where crew will be walking near them, we always chock the wheels, even on the flat. That even goes for disconnected trailers, too.

The only time we don't do it is when the truck is at a loading dock (all them are on level ground and the vehicles are usually in reverse when parked) or when the driver is sitting in the driver's seat.

Heck, even the postal employees chock their wheels when they get out of the mail trucks. I'm always seeing those chocks with the big long handles on them against at least one wheel.
Dropped 27" single axle trailers should have a trailer stand used as well, nothing like entering a trailer with a forklift and having the back end rise up as you get near the nose!
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Falling Skies The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Falling Skies The Complete Second Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Falling by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page