'Falling Skies' on TNT HD - Page 97 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 267Likes

post #2881 of 2996 Old 08-31-2015, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimv1983 View Post
Wow. I can't believe how much hate there is here for Falling Skies. The entire show has been AWESOME. Most sci-fi shows get cancelled before they get a real end and instead we are given crime drama after crime drama that's almost always the same damn thing. Falling Skies was good sci-fi that actually got a real end. The last scene was excellent.
This. Definitely.

This was an enjoyable run. The curmudgeons here may not have liked it (they are forever seeking the never-coming perfect show), but i quite enjoyed this show - start to finish. As you say, I look back now and see this as (what is now rare) quality sci-fi, with a bit of an edge occasionally too. It was not the usual antiseptic, sanitized-looking set, but IMO a reasonable facsimile of what a situation on Earth might look like in this scenario, complete with grime, muck, and attitude. It wasn't BSG, but it was pretty damn good IMO. I thought the dialogue was fairly good, and I enjoyed most of the cast as well. Stack up the really good sci fi series, and in my book there won't be too many better than this to date. Cheers to TNT for sticking with it and giving it a proper ending.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 2996 Old 08-31-2015, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 209
This show was a lot of fun but I admit I sit in the camp that didn't like the final direction that it went. This reminded me of what Star Trek did with The Borg. When odds seem great and the enemy not so definable, it brings a good amount of anxiety for the audience. The minute there is a "queen" that is all too human, it undoes all the great seasons that came before. I guess Noah was in a hurry to get back to "The Librarian" - sigh.
post #2883 of 2996 Old 08-31-2015, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1693 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
The Espheni's leader is... Arachnia! Queen of the Spider People!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
it's good to be part of the Mason family so you don't have to die and stay dead!
...unless you're Lexi. Then you die, come back to life, then die again.
replayrob and HDMe2 like this.

post #2884 of 2996 Old 08-31-2015, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 611
So how does Pope in his condition even track Tom to that secret beach location that only Tom knew about? That was more magical than Annie coming back to life.

And why do heroes always have to chat with the big bad villain before finishing them off resulting in a needless "fight"?

It was nice seeing everyone cleaned up at the end, but I'm glad it's over.
post #2885 of 2996 Old 08-31-2015, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 731
I liked it.
post #2886 of 2996 Old 08-31-2015, 11:39 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
When did Tom and Anne even have time to make that happen recently? That's a serious question.
Sounds like you need to go back to sex education class. Plenty of time has gone by since his return to do it at least once, especially right after he came back.

The comment about Pope being able to find Tom at that beach was right on. I wondered how he could have done that as well.

Not only that, that beach was a long was from D.C., so how did Tom get there that fast?

Even with all of the weird things that have happened in this series, I have enjoyed it.

One last thing, I love the fact that the episode was 46:54 in length. Why can't all hour-long shows on all networks be 47 min again!!!! I know wishful thinking. There oughta be a law.

"You're Sherlock Holmes, wear the damn hat!" - Watson to Sherlock
Sherlock - The Abominable Bride - 1/01/16
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #2887 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 12:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Even 47 is conservative. They used to be 50+.
post #2888 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am a huge Falling Skies fan and tried to make the finale work but just can't. In my dream world, Spielberg would have come in for the final episode and made it awesome AND 2 HOURS LONG as it should have been after we invested 5 years into it. It almost seems like they decided they wouldn't make any more money on the show so drop it like it's hot. It seems like they left lots of this episode on the cutting room floor.

If you're gonna steal material from Aliens with the eggs, then get Noah some tips from Sigourney on a kick ass fight with a queen. I knew Pope would be back, but use him in the final fight to redeem himself, kicking some skitters ass that are guarding the queen to allow Tom to reach the queen instead.

The concept of the final story was OK but executed poorly. Show Mason militia fighting for their lives in the streets as Tom holds a conversation with the queen.

I can only hope that someone on Youtube comes up with some good fan fiction to replace the finale with something better.
mike1812 likes this.
post #2889 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Well, I stuck with it for it's five year run. I'm not sure why I stuck with it, I think it had a lot to do with ample on-screen eye candy. In the end, I'm happy that it actually made it to a finale, which I found satisfying. Come next week, I won't miss when my DVR doesn't have a new episode recorded.
post #2890 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 06:13 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 6415 Post(s)
Liked: 3964
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Sounds like you need to go back to sex education class. Plenty of time has gone by since his return to do it at least once, especially right after he came back.

The comment about Pope being able to find Tom at that beach was right on. I wondered how he could have done that as well.

Not only that, that beach was a long was from D.C., so how did Tom get there that fast?

Even with all of the weird things that have happened in this series, I have enjoyed it.

One last thing, I love the fact that the episode was 46:54 in length. Why can't all hour-long shows on all networks be 47 min again!!!! I know wishful thinking. There oughta be a law.
That's because it wasn't an hour long show. It was around 65 minutes long with commercials.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2891 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 7193
My only comment: At least we got closure.
post #2892 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I think it's time for the 2nd MA to help out at the Dome. All considered, the ending was better than expected.

So did Ben's remaining spikes get affected by the virus affect?
post #2893 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyp View Post
I think it's time for the 2nd MA to help out at the Dome.
Actually, the final scene for Under the Dome will the be original attack of the Espheni on Earth that began Falling Skies.
post #2894 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 895
IIRC, they produced 52 episodes correct?
Will make very good binge watching during some upcoming blizzard this winter...

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth!”
M. Tyson
post #2895 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5108 Post(s)
Liked: 11778
Watched this since the beginning. Had it's ups and downs, but this last season was hard to get thru. The finale was ok. Too long in the egg tunnel, Pope appearing at the end, Anne getting resurrected, etc. However, we did get closure, which was nice.

post #2896 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Regrets for sticking it out for the full run? No.

Glad it's over. Yes.

At least it got a definitive finish. That doesn't happen enough with sci fi series.
post #2897 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Personally, I think the whole last season could have been dropped and a 2 hour wrap up movie would have been better. There was no point to 90% of the season, and they could have spent the money on good writers and special effects.

I'm glad some enjoyed the series, you can't count me among them - even Noah was unhappy with the way the series progressed. The name Spielberg no longer holds any cache for me, he's put his name on so much crap lately that for me he's lost any expectations I once may have had for his work. Even if he is an EP he has cheapened his brand with decisions he's made.
mike1812 likes this.
post #2898 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyp View Post
So did Ben's remaining spikes get affected by the virus affect?
I swore when Ben was talking to his Dad right after the queen got zapped, the look in Ben's eyes, skin color, seem like they might have gone that direction, but quickly became the Anne dying thing!

Anyway that would have been an interesting direction if gone that way, and would have made sense too.

Djoel
post #2899 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
I swore when Ben was talking to his Dad right after the queen got zapped, the look in Ben's eyes, skin color, seem like they might have gone that direction, but quickly became the Anne dying thing!

Anyway that would have been an interesting direction if gone that way, and would have made sense too.

Djoel
Indeed, if all eshfeni bio-tech went up in a poof of smoke with the queen's death, Ben should've been shown writhing in pain for a while, with his survival uncertain. That would've been much more compelling than Annie dying from bleeding out from random shrapnel wounds. It would've still tempered Tom's celebrations and created some drama without relying on an as-yet unrevealed form of alien space magic to bring him back. They could've just had Ben in a coma until he healed in time for Tom's election to Supreme Emperor of the United Nations of America.
mike1812 and mnevar like this.
post #2900 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
There were more showrunners than the different alien types. Speaking of the latter, up until the Queen appeared in the finale we saw many Espheni alien types that resembled insects of a sort. They were led by Overlords who had somewhat streamlined human structure. I assumed that progression would follow with the Queen, but alas no, she was just a super bug.
post #2901 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirebuilder View Post
I knew Pope would be back, but use him in the final fight to redeem himself, kicking some skitters ass that are guarding the queen
The finale didn't have any skitters at all, which was kind of silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Indeed, if all eshfeni bio-tech went up in a poof of smoke with the queen's death, Ben should've been shown writhing in pain for a while, with his survival uncertain.
That entire defeat scenario made no sense, anyway. Unless the Espheni are all connected via Wi-Fi and Tom was uploading a computer virus into the queen, it makes zero sense that killing the queen would cause all of her underlings to spontaneously die, too. Biological viruses aren't transmitted that way. The miracle virus was nothing more than a deus ex machina necessary to wrap up the series because the writers wasted the last season introducing and killing random characters instead of building to a realistic victory scenario.
Turrican4D likes this.
post #2902 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The finale didn't have any skitters at all, which was kind of silly.

That entire defeat scenario made no sense, anyway. Unless the Espheni are all connected via Wi-Fi and Tom was uploading a computer virus into the queen, it makes zero sense that killing the queen would cause all of her underlings to spontaneously die, too. Biological viruses aren't transmitted that way. The miracle virus was nothing more than a deus ex machina necessary to wrap up the series because the writers wasted the last season introducing and killing random characters instead of building to a realistic victory scenario.

Falling Skies Writers Room, meeting to discuss possible series endings:

Producer:
" OK Gimme what you Got."

Writer # 1:
"I got it. An Espheni "queen bug" shows up, (Think the Dr. Smith Alien from the Lost In Space Movie), & she is killed by Mason using some biological virus weapon, , and then, see, every Espheni living being on the planet just spontaneously "blows up" wherever they are..."

Producer:
" That's Great, I don't need to hear any more from anyone else. Get started on this script right away .. Oh, .. & I want Pope in the Finale, so make sure no one bothers to look for his body when he was supposed to die." ...
Tack and cctvtech like this.
post #2903 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Because of commercials. If you noticed the actual time of the episode with commercials was 1hr 7min.
post #2904 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 878
Hated the "Magic Pill" solution. Really wanted to see the full out final battle with the good guys winning.

And what about the Skitter Queen ... whatever she was, she just got Tom to do her dirty work for her and off she goes into the universe without a "thanks, be seeing you"? Wife brought back from the dead ... I guess that's supposed to be thanks enough.

Pope? Geesh, talk about not knowing what the heck to do with him. I agree with a prior poster, he should have gone out as a hero, helping Tom as his final redemption.

Bikers just show up at the last minute and they are welcomed with open arms and told all the critical plans of attack? Didn't even ask to check their necks for blood first? I hate when stupidity is the driving force of a plot.

Too many cooks spoil the pot .... So many missed opportunities in this show. D+ / C-
post #2905 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry if this has been posted already, but good summation of the entire series and how it went so wrong

Last Night's Falling Skies Finale Actually Depressed the Hell out of Me

TL;DR --
Quote:
They should teach Falling Skies in classrooms, because it’s one of the clearest examples I’ve ever seen of bad worldbuilding leading to bad characterization. After a while, nothing the characters do matters or makes sense, because the world isn’t consistent or thought-out.
post #2906 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Considering Falling Skies had six showrunners in only five years, I'm actually kind of surprised it was as consistent and watchable as it was. It could have been much worse, but that doesn't mean it was good enough to be even close to a science fiction classic.
post #2907 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Personally, I think the whole last season could have been dropped and a 2 hour wrap up movie would have been better. There was no point to 90% of the season, and they could have spent the money on good writers and special effects.
No kidding. From the beginning stall to the Aliens rip-off in the tunnel this entire season was mostly foot-dragging filler that went nowhere waiting for the occasional moment when something would be pulled out of thin air to make the finale work.

They introduced new characters for no good reason (and introduced Jeff Fahey in the finale no less!) and little characterization and the beerchemist reveal didn't make him more likeable, it just made him ridiculous. Pope was just wasted on character repetition and without any real purpose. The scene with him on the beach I thought was the best part of the episode. Pity it didn't happen 6 episodes earlier with the rest of his arc and didn't involve him magically traveling from Fort Bragg to a secret rendezvous in DC after a building fell on him.

The season was poor all around and the finale was actually a low point. The dialog was genuinely terrible and full of cliches, the resolution pulled out of thin air (and the Queen blown into thin air) and made little sense and the story and canon of the show was once again completely ignored by the writers. If they watched any of the previous seasons I would be genuinely surprised.

The entire motivation for the Espheni boiled down to revenge and the annihilation of humans. Which makes it slightly confusing why all those giant miles-wide spacecraft they used to obliterate Earth's military before the show began just upped and left only to leave behind some beamers and a few Overlords.

The Queen is the massive Achille's Heel and the most important being in their hierarchy; so she stays on Earth in an unprotected monument and all those massive spacecraft the Espheni have don't bother protecting her. I don't even know how she actaully got there considering the Espheni apparently have no ships on Earth. The skitters were also revealed to be harnessed aliens that were transformed. So why does the Queen look like them?

Remember the Volm? Easy to forget considering that Cochise seems to be the only one on the entire planet. When you are about to attack the Big Bad of your mortal enemy maybe diverting a few ships to give some cover fire to the assault would be nice. Oh wait, they can't do that. The reason Cochise is the only one on Earth is because their entire super battle fleet is fighting another war with the Espheni. How did that turn out I wonder? Did all those skitters and overlords a billion miles away just vaporize too?

The Overlords are a different race and there's an army of them out there and some other higher beings too if I remember correctly (or some dudes in cloaks that seem more important). What about them? Vaporized for no reason as well? What about harnessed kids on Earth? Vaporized?

As for the Deus Ex Aqua, well at least they explained how Tom arrived back on Earth. How that ship managed to get to Earth without any of the other two super powered alien races noticing or what happened after it did all it's show-saving magic we are left to wonder. Based on the track record of the writing this season I think the writers just forgot the alien was there two minutes after writing the scene. I was barely invested in this show but I seem to remember more than the production staff did.

This show became just another example of mainstream television sci-fi. Poorly thought out, no respect for their own canon or the intelligence of the audience, a concept the budget could not fill and dumb characters doing dumb things. Surely there is someone out there with the writing chops of Milch, Simon or Yost and thinks laser guns, alien race canon and quantum slipstream drives are cool to write about?

There has to be ...

post #2908 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Well, the queen did say something about coming back with 1000x the resources this time to get her revenge. It's also possible they made some advances in the 1500 years.
Yeah... but they were already a space-faring race... WAY imaginably beyond the sticks and stone humans that apparently beat them down and ran the off the planet... Even if they did advance, we advanced too... and if sticks and stones beat them back then... that should have still worked today, once they got out of their alien ships... so it's like the writers of the finale hadn't even watched the show before now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimv1983 View Post
Wow. I can't believe how much hate there is here for Falling Skies. The entire show has been AWESOME. Most sci-fi shows get cancelled before they get a real end and instead we are given crime drama after crime drama that's almost always the same damn thing. Falling Skies was good sci-fi that actually got a real end. The last scene was excellent.
Not to pick on you... but what exactly about that last scene was excellent? If you liked it, and we didn't... that's fine, to each their own... but "excellent" implies more than just liking it, so I have to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottenst View Post
Actually, the final scene for Under the Dome will the be original attack of the Espheni on Earth that began Falling Skies.
You know... that would actually improve BOTH shows!
post #2909 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
The skitters were also revealed to be harnessed aliens that were transformed. So why does the Queen look like them?
Perhaps more importantly, if the pre-enslavement skitter race has a super bioweapon that can destroy all Espheni, why didn't they use it when the Espheni were trying to conquer their planet, thus preventing the Espheni from ever invading Earth in the first place?
TeeJay1952 likes this.
post #2910 of 2996 Old 09-01-2015, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 222
It was OK and glad they did a fairly good wrap-up for the end.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Falling Skies The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Falling Skies The Complete Second Season Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page