'Falling Skies' on TNT HD - Page 98 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #2911 of 2930 Unread Yesterday, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 81
It was OK and glad they did a fairly good wrap-up for the end.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 2930 Unread Yesterday, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Perhaps more importantly, if the pre-enslavement skitter race has a super bioweapon that can destroy all Espheni, why didn't they use it when the Espheni were trying to conquer their planet, thus preventing the Espheni from ever invading Earth in the first place?
And considering the Espheni ground forces were made up of mostly one race and the big invasion of Earth plan revolved around a ground takeover, how did they take them down if the skitters didn't exist until the Diahatsus (or whatever) had been skittered?

From previous seasons I was under the impression the pre-skitter race were a primitive species and easily enslaved, but if the diahatsus were pre-skitter, based on their mega-ships and resurrection technology they should have been more than capable of not becoming their own enemy.

Last edited by VisionOn; Yesterday at 07:25 PM.
post #2913 of 2930 Unread Yesterday, 07:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked: 1088
Quote:
Perhaps more importantly, if the pre-enslavement skitter race has a super bioweapon that can destroy all Espheni, why didn't they use it when the Espheni were trying to conquer their planet, thus preventing the Espheni from ever invading Earth in the first place?
???? They obviously didn't have it then.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2914 of 2930 Unread Yesterday, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
???? They obviously didn't have it then.
The one who pretended to be Tom's dead wife over and over said that she was the last one, didn't she? If so, how did she make a superweapon all by herself? For that matter, how is she operating that ship all by herself without a crew?
post #2915 of 2930 Unread Yesterday, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
Not to pick on you... but what exactly about that last scene was excellent? If you liked it, and we didn't... that's fine, to each their own... but "excellent" implies more than just liking it, so I have to ask.
I assume, he liked the crowd that looked like a cardboard collection.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #2916 of 2930 Unread Today, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Astonishingly stupid ending to a an equally dumb series. Good riddance from my hard drives and my mind................end of line..........................................

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #2917 of 2930 Unread Today, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
The one who pretended to be Tom's dead wife over and over said that she was the last one, didn't she? If so, how did she make a superweapon all by herself? For that matter, how is she operating that ship all by herself without a crew?
My theory is that if you can do one infinitely improbable thing like traveling faster that light, you can just as easily do an infinite number of infinitely improbable things...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #2918 of 2930 Unread Today, 03:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 335
You know what would be funny?

If aliens have actually landed on earth and some of them were involved in writing Falling Skies.
mike1812 likes this.
post #2919 of 2930 Unread Today, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Why did Ben still have his spikes at the end? The camera specifically went behind him as to show he still had them when his dad was giving the speech to everyone. Aren't those things alive? When that guy pulled one out, the withered and moved and then leaped and attacked the guy in the face on their own. Shouldn't they have died too when everything else went poof?

Disappointed they didn't wrap up the other alien race that gave Tom the device to kill the queen. For that matter, they didn't wrap up the Volm story either and why are they still there, what are they going to do next, etc.

Pope felt like an after thought and the writers were obligated to have him in the finale.

post #2920 of 2930 Unread Today, 04:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 335
I think they could have handled the Pope thing a little better. Maybe he tosses the granade into grasshopper queen (while Tom's tied up) and saves the human race effectively steeling Tom's big save in the end. The grateful human race or what remains of it makes Pope ruler for life. Final scene is Tom with head tilted down, shaking his head. lol
post #2921 of 2930 Unread Today, 05:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
This show became just another example of mainstream television sci-fi. Poorly thought out, no respect for their own canon or the intelligence of the audience, a concept the budget could not fill and dumb characters doing dumb things. Surely there is someone out there with the writing chops of Milch, Simon or Yost and thinks laser guns, alien race canon and quantum slipstream drives are cool to write about?

There has to be ...
Well, there is. But Ron Moore is currently slumming by showrunning the bodice-ripper 'Outlander' on Starz. It's kind of distantly related to sci-fi, in that time travel created the plotline, but other than that it's a Harlequin Romance brought to life. The man is squandering his prodigious talents. He, and we, ain't getting any younger.
post #2922 of 2930 Unread Today, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Well, there is. But Ron Moore is currently slumming by showrunning the bodice-ripper 'Outlander' on Starz.
Except Ron Moore is not interested in making sci-fi, he wants to write human drama with a light cosmetic brush of space bling. BSG was full of the same lack of detail and consistency that follows mainstream television sci-fi around.

post #2923 of 2930 Unread Today, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Ahhh, I am done. Watched E10 last night.

People in this thread are all I believe in agreement about the problems both in the ending and during the evolution of the show.

SO many problems and things that just don't make sense.

I will only agree with all the negative comments in this thread, (that I have read) it is not hard to see what was wrong with the show as time went by.

SAD though, when a show starts out SO STRONG and so interesting and finds its way into the mud and mire of mediocrity so quickly and completely.

Remember when Skitters were damn near impossible to kill with an ordinary gun? Then they got the mech metal and they could kill them? In the end Skitters could be killed just by looking at a gun and a Overlord could be taken down by a shoelace. Nice job guys.

Still it was somewhat fun to watch. I wish Ben had become more of a central figure toward the end.
post #2924 of 2930 Unread Today, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Except Ron Moore is not interested in making sci-fi, he wants to write human drama with a light cosmetic brush of space bling. BSG was full of the same lack of detail and consistency that follows mainstream television sci-fi around.
While I don't doubt your description of Moore's ambitions, I take exception with you shortchanging BSG. For a space opera tee-vee show on a cablenet, and all the budget challenges that represents, I thought the production design and the pseudo-science techno-stuff was pretty darn good, and remained relatively consistent through the show's run. Best I've ever seen, except maybe 'Firefly'.
post #2925 of 2930 Unread Today, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
While I don't doubt your description of Moore's ambitions, I take exception with you shortchanging BSG. For a space opera tee-vee show on a cablenet, and all the budget challenges that represents, I thought the production design and the pseudo-science techno-stuff was pretty darn good, and remained relatively consistent through the show's run. Best I've ever seen, except maybe 'Firefly'.
BSG never did win any significant Emmy awards, but it did win a Peabody award, so that's saying something.
post #2926 of 2930 Unread Today, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Emmy voters don't like sci-fi, probably because they're too dense to understand any of it. If BSG didn't even get nominated for a Best Drama Series award, it's probably never going to happen for a genre show.

But there was that Peabody Award, as you say. More respected than the Emmys anyway.
post #2927 of 2930 Unread Today, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Funny, I don't know what you'd have to be to understand this mess, but dense might help...
post #2928 of 2930 Unread Today, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 43
It is really sad to see something fall apart like a good show.

At least they had the decency to take the show behind the woodshed and put it out of its misery.

BUT, at least they could have had the common sense to pan out to Orion and show emerging from the distance a big ship, full of ticked off overlords who aren't allergic to shoelaces coming to wipe the human race out.

Because there is no way they could have lost given the entire premise of the show.

That is the biggest problem with the whole deal, the AssFanny had this in the bag. And in the end the writers let the humans win with a can of mountain dew. LAME.
post #2929 of 2930 Unread Today, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Disagree with Moore, not me. He's said it repeatedly that he's not particularly interested in the lore or tech of anything he works on.

"Moore: Yeah, this was a character show. This is a character drama first and foremost that happens to take place in a science fiction universe. And we’ll try to live by the rules of the science fiction universe that we create, try to have an integrity to it, but it’s never going to be about that.

I had a list of “don’t”s at the very outset. We weren’t going to do time travel. We weren’t going to do evil twin stories. We weren’t going to encounter aliens that control our minds. There were all these tropes of sci-fi that we just were not going to do.

It was always going to be about these people, the moral choices that they make, their mistakes, their loves, their hates. I was more interested in a story about the characters than the sci-fi of it."

http://www.wired.com/2010/10/galactica-technobabble/

You can tell that from every episode of Trek he worked on too. BSG had lazy adherence to it's canon and world. Cylon clones never made sense as "machines" and it all took place in a galaxy in which everything was basically a contemporary Earth world of people driving Humvees and using bakelite telephones. Even Stargate made the effort to make their alien cultures look a bit different even if they were mostly medieval villages.

Sci-fi television needs someone with the vision and detail of Babylon 5 but the character and dialog skills of Moore. And more importantly someone who thinks it's all just plain cool and cares about being nerdy enough to come up with a backstory and history for every tiny thing that appears on screen.

post #2930 of 2930 Unread Today, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Or give it to the Volm?
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Falling Skies The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Falling Skies The Complete Second Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Falling by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page