"Downton Abbey" on PBS - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #301 of 308 Old 01-20-2016, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 309
^ It's partly that London has special status, but also that expression "up to London" mainly seems to be used by people in the upper social classes (which would certainly include the Crawleys). England is funny like that (even today, not just back then).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 308 Old 01-21-2016, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 512
The Dowager Countess is really delivering some great zingers this final season. Maggie Smith going out with a bang.
gwsat likes this.
post #303 of 308 Old 01-25-2016, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 61
NY Times review, episode 3. LOL re reviewer's comment about granny knowing what a gear stick is. -- John
post #304 of 308 Old 01-25-2016, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
NY Times review, episode 3. LOL re reviewer's comment about granny knowing what a gear stick is. -- John
I love this show and the people in it. Watching every week's show is like putting on a well worn but comfortable pair of old shoes.

As has been noted many times in this thread, the great Maggie Smith's lines and her delivery of them have been particularly terrific. No actress who has ever lived has done arch comedy as well as Dame Maggie.
post #305 of 308 Old 01-26-2016, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Audio

I've posted earlier about the picture quality of this series, but I felt I had to comment also about the sound.

This is not an in your face, heavy on the subs and surrounds mix, but I am struck by the clarity of the speech. So often in movies - and occasionally TV dramas - I am struggling to understand what an actor is saying, wishing I'd activated the subtitles. But here every word is clear, a tribute to the on-set recording, and also to a well-crafted sound mix. Additionally, I never get the feeling that the entire track has been subjected to a dynamic range compressor, the easy way out for so many mixes (though often the fault of the transmission channel dumbing down an otherwise fine mix). So here's thumbs-up to another aspect of a fine television series.
post #306 of 308 Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Lots of witty and delightful dialog in this week's 6th episode. Stood out, perhaps, from what emerged from so many other shows during the week. There's a small sampling in the NY Times recap. -- John
gwsat likes this.
post #307 of 308 Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
Lots of witty and delightful dialog in this week's 6th episode. Stood out, perhaps, from what emerged from so many other shows during the week. There's a small sampling in the NY Times recap. -- John
Thanks for the link to the terrific NYT review of this week's show! It was funny and charming. The critic who wrote it, Louis Bayard, gets Downton Abby.
post #308 of 308 Old Today, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 385
I thought it funny that the people who live in the house knew very little about the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming