"Downton Abbey" on PBS - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

Old 01-20-2016, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 337
^ It's partly that London has special status, but also that expression "up to London" mainly seems to be used by people in the upper social classes (which would certainly include the Crawleys). England is funny like that (even today, not just back then).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2016, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 717
The Dowager Countess is really delivering some great zingers this final season. Maggie Smith going out with a bang.
gwsat and mapspringer like this.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 85
NY Times review, episode 3. LOL re reviewer's comment about granny knowing what a gear stick is. -- John
Old 01-25-2016, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1521 Post(s)
Liked: 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
NY Times review, episode 3. LOL re reviewer's comment about granny knowing what a gear stick is. -- John
I love this show and the people in it. Watching every week's show is like putting on a well worn but comfortable pair of old shoes.

As has been noted many times in this thread, the great Maggie Smith's lines and her delivery of them have been particularly terrific. No actress who has ever lived has done arch comedy as well as Dame Maggie.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Audio

I've posted earlier about the picture quality of this series, but I felt I had to comment also about the sound.

This is not an in your face, heavy on the subs and surrounds mix, but I am struck by the clarity of the speech. So often in movies - and occasionally TV dramas - I am struggling to understand what an actor is saying, wishing I'd activated the subtitles. But here every word is clear, a tribute to the on-set recording, and also to a well-crafted sound mix. Additionally, I never get the feeling that the entire track has been subjected to a dynamic range compressor, the easy way out for so many mixes (though often the fault of the transmission channel dumbing down an otherwise fine mix). So here's thumbs-up to another aspect of a fine television series.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Lots of witty and delightful dialog in this week's 6th episode. Stood out, perhaps, from what emerged from so many other shows during the week. There's a small sampling in the NY Times recap. -- John
gwsat likes this.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Lots of witty and delightful dialog in this week's 6th episode. Stood out, perhaps, from what emerged from so many other shows during the week. There's a small sampling in the NY Times recap. -- John
Thanks for the link to the terrific NYT review of this week's show! It was funny and charming. The critic who wrote it, Louis Bayard, gets Downton Abby.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 489
I thought it funny that the people who live in the house knew very little about the house.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like Mr. Carson should have married Mrs. Patmore, and I hope Mrs. Hughes sets him straight.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
It looks like Mr. Carson should have married Mrs. Patmore, and I hope Mrs. Hughes sets him straight.
Oh God yes! Let him get used to some bedroom pleasures then cinch it up!

Bobby 

Old 02-20-2016, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Mrs Patmore is headed into some trouble with the mystery figure taking notes outside her B&B. My guess is that he's a detective documenting an illicit affair by the breakfast couple.
With Molesley leaving, I wonder if that leaves a vacancy for Thomas? Yeah, I know it's a demotion. Maybe Carson is murdered for criticizing too many dinners and a head butler vacancy arises? The Bates crime family could offer to do the job for Mrs Hughes.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Wow, Mary drops to a new low. I can't be the only one hoping she gets hit by a bus on her next trip to London.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ Yeah, poor Edith got it right when she succinctly called Mary a "bitch." Mary had shown herself to be selfish and mean before, particularly in her dealings with Edith, but this was indeed a new low, even for Lady Mary. Edith is star crossed. Although in her own way she is as capable as Mary, poor Edith can't seem to catch a break in her personal life. Maybe things will come right for her in the series finale, the Christmas Special. I hope so. She deserves for something good to come her way for a change.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Kept looking for, during Lady Mary's second wedding reception, Lady Edith to appear and, Hollywood-style, meet and reconcile with dufus Bertie. He'd just inherited the title Marquess of Hexham. He'd also stalked, as a guest, from the Crawley's dining table when Lady Mary implied that Marigold was Edith's little girl. That helped Mary earn the column title of "Lady Mary, That Skinny You-Know-What" for episode 8's witty NY Times review. Choice review line: A certain scene that compares Lady Mary to Martha Stewart. But it looks like it'll be the finale before we see whether Bertie announces whether he can trust Lady Edith. -- John
gwsat likes this.

Last edited by John Mason; 03-02-2016 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I really liked the comparison made between Mary and Thomas, while different they can both be very nasty and I don't feel sorry for either, even though I have a feeling we're supposed to
IMO Mary's marriage will end shortly in a divorce, either Henry will tire of all the crap Mary will come up with or Mary will be upset he's willing to put up with her crap and divorce him, I very much doubt it will end in a happily ever after.
And Thomas, well he'll continue to be the prick he's always been, I just don't see him changing.
Great last season, can't wait for the finale!
Old 02-23-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
And Thomas, well he'll continue to be the prick he's always been, I just don't see him changing.
Great last season, can't wait for the finale!
See, I feel a lot differently about Thomas in these recent episodes. They are showing him in a much more compassionate light (IMO) than the earlier seasons where he came off as a giant jerk. My wife was actually just saying it would be interesting to go back and watch from the beginning to see how he's changed.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Thomas has begun to show self awareness of the fruit of his selfish and mean behavior and has changed in small ways. He's less strident to all, plays with Mary's son wholeheartedly and sincerely and selflessly tried to help a young co-worker learn to read. A very different Thomas.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Thomas has begun to show self awareness of the fruit of his selfish and mean behavior and has changed in small ways. He's less strident to all, plays with Mary's son wholeheartedly and sincerely and selflessly tried to help a young co-worker learn to read. A very different Thomas.
That's the way I see it.

Cary
Old 03-01-2016, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
^^^ Yeah, poor Edith got it right when she succinctly called Mary a "bitch." Mary had shown herself to be selfish and mean before, particularly in her dealings with Edith, but this was indeed a new low, even for Lady Mary. Edith is star crossed. Although in her own way she is as capable as Mary, poor Edith can't seem to catch a break in her personal life. Maybe things will come right for her in the series finale, the Christmas Special. I hope so. She deserves for something good to come her way for a change.
Edith called Mary a biatch not just once but twice. Well done, Edith.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
Old 03-01-2016, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I'm not alone in hoping Edith will to reverse her recent mistake. Whether it be by marriage or some other happy outcome.
joblo likes this.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

NY Times pre-finale. Light summary and review of series main characters. -- John
l
Old 03-04-2016, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
NY Times pre-finale. Light summary and review of series main characters. -- John
l
Thanks for the link to the delightful NYT piece by Louis Bayard. It is equally suitable for those like you and me, "hard-core Abbots who’ve been watching the whole time," and others who have wandered off in recent seasons. Bayard does really good work!
Old 03-05-2016, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I think my wife is going to have a funeral service for the end of this show next week. This was her favorite show EVER!
Garrett Adams and New24K like this.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Old 03-05-2016, 01:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 489
I'll sure miss it.

Looking forward to this Sunday's episode.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

To use an NBC 1990s term Downton Abbey was definitely "Must See TV".
Old 03-05-2016, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I'll sure miss it.

Looking forward to this Sunday's episode.
You know who is really going to miss it? PBS, that's' who. They were using it for pledge breaks and fund raising from season two on. I bet they are pressuring Julian to make a follow up series, or movies, or SOMETHING.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Old 03-06-2016, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
You know who is really going to miss it? PBS, that's' who. They were using it for pledge breaks and fund raising from season two on. I bet they are pressuring Julian to make a follow up series, or movies, or SOMETHING.
Like ITV's New Julian Fellowes costume drama Doctor Thorne perhaps? http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...-doctor-thorne
Old 03-07-2016, 06:29 AM

The finale was well-done, if a bit predictable. Tied up all the loose ends and everyone lives happily ever after!
Old 03-07-2016, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My FIOS cable guide made the finale sound like they'd been nuked. But it was a nice, solution-based wrap-up. NY Times reviewer Louis Bayard sumarized it in detail, and added his best scene, lines, etc. list. I'd only add best baroque music, with the church organist playing Handel's
for Lady Edith's wedding entry. I'd caught a similar version during the second wedding in "Four Weddings and a Funeral" recently, downloaded a MIDI version for stringed instruments, converted it to organ music, then fed it into my Piano Suite Premier to practice. -- John

EDIT: An interview in the NY Times with the finale director.

Last edited by John Mason; 03-07-2016 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typo; add-on
Old 03-07-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ The NYT review of the series finale, by Louis Bayard, was terrific! Thanks for the link. Like Bayard, I will remember Downton Abbey fondly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement