The Abyss on AMC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-15-2011, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Caught the last 20 minutes of The Abyss last nite on AMC over my new FIOS install. Couldn't believe how awful the picture quality was. Colors were...I can't even begin to describe how awful they looked, especially the cgi segments. I've been marvelling at the picture quality of even old reruns of TV programming since converting to FIOS a few weeks ago, so I'm pretty sure it's the source. And I'm sure it didn't look this poor on my old Comcast install. I hope that's not what the upcoming BRD release is going to be like. Hopefully more like Aliens BRD.

Interestingly AMC followed it up with the 1951 The Day the Earth Stood Still and it looked very good compared to my BRD of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-15-2011, 08:37 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTWS View Post

Caught the last 20 minutes of The Abyss last nite on AMC over my new FIOS install. Couldn't believe how awful the picture quality was. Colors were...I can't even begin to describe how awful they looked, especially the cgi segments. I've been marvelling at the picture quality of even old reruns of TV programming since converting to FIOS a few weeks ago, so I'm pretty sure it's the source. And I'm sure it didn't look this poor on my old Comcast install. I hope that's not what the upcoming BRD release is going to be like. Hopefully more like Aliens BRD.

Interestingly AMC followed it up with the 1951 The Day the Earth Stood Still and it looked very good compared to my BRD of it.

I haven't seen a good version of THE ABYSS since the excellent laserdiscs. HBO/Max was showing it in 4X3 (theatrical cut) and the AMC version is even worse. I'm assuming the BD will be the director's cut and in widescreen.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-15-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
The Abyss was in stretch-o-vision on AMC.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #4 of 6 Old 01-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTWS View Post

I was surprised to flip past AMC and see a b&w movie in primetime. Usually they reserve those for about 4 in the morning.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-15-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons View Post

I haven't seen a good version of THE ABYSS since the excellent laserdiscs. HBO/Max was showing it in 4X3 (theatrical cut) and the AMC version is even worse. I'm assuming the BD will be the director's cut and in widescreen.

There is a much better, but still soft, japanese BShi 1080i version from years past. likely a very early transfer.

The AMC version looked like crap compared to this version and is the very best I have ever seen.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-15-2011, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Cameron is said to be working on BR's of The Abyss and True Lies... can't wait! Neither movie ever had a proper DVD makeover. AMC's video quality is generally not so good. I tuned into The AByss for a few minutes, however I've seen it DONE RIGHT so many times that it's not worth suffering with AMC's broadcast... eventhough we now finally have an LCD in our house with pillarbox capability.

The Day the Earth Stood Still is a true classic and along with Forbidden Planet shows up occasional on TCM, which usually does things right. BTW Demolition Man is on AMC's schedule for tonight. I wonder how that will look. The AVS thread on DM's BR release is here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1268554

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page