Being Human on Syfy in HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 87 Old 01-18-2011, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Being Human is a re-imagining of the acclaimed BBC original series that follows three 20-something roommates: A ghost, a vampire and a werewolf who are struggling to keep their dark secrets from the world, while also helping each other navigate the complexities of living double lives.

I don't think this will fill the void that us SGU's fans want but who knows .....

http://www.syfy.com/beinghuman/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1595680/

Starts Jan 17 (Monday)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 01-18-2011, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am fan of the BBC version so I gave this a shot. It's not bad, but from what I can tell they are just completely remaking the BBC version instead of just using the premise to come up with their own story lines. This weeks pilot was very similar to the BBC version (except adding a sister and changing charater names), and next weeks seems to be using the same plot as the second ep of the BBC version as well. Also the season previews show many of the same plot lines.

I will give it a few eps, but with season 3 starting on the BBC in a couple weeks, unless they go a completely different direction, I probably won't hang on
post #3 of 87 Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Not being familiar with the original, I found myself occasionally wondering if I had missed the setup episode and was watching the 2nd episode. The plotting seemed to imply previous knowledge of things you needed to know. It was mediocre for me and not just because of that. I thought the 2 female actors were not very good. The sister trying to be emotional was awful and the ghost was about the same in her crying role, though better in the lighter moments. I will stick around a bit since the previews of upcoming shows looked a bit more interesting.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #4 of 87 Old 01-18-2011, 09:27 AM

Liked: 19
davdev, Season 3 of the original Being Human starts this Sunday night on BBC Three in the UK!

In my opinion, the Syfy version looked like a bland carbon-copy of the original, so I'll be "finding" UK Season 3 online starting Sunday since BBC America won't be airing Season 3 until at least April.
post #5 of 87 Old 01-18-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I liked it and it looks like Syfy is stepping out a bit probably to keep viewer eyes. It's more like an FX series though not quite as good as some of the AMC series. They have to go there to keep viewers and this showed signs of not being as prudish as previous NBC/Universal conglomerate series tend to be.

I put seasons 1 and 2 of the UK series in my Netflix disc queue.
post #6 of 87 Old 01-18-2011, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I watched the first episode last night and I'll give it a few chances for them to develop their chemistry and rhythm.

The werewolf guy was okay. At least he doesn't scream like a girl like George does. Vampire guy is too studly, but at least he washes his hair. Ghost girl is a bit too whiny.
post #7 of 87 Old 01-18-2011, 08:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by diditagain View Post

davdev, Season 3 of the original Being Human starts this Sunday night on BBC Three in the UK!

In my opinion, the Syfy version looked like a bland carbon-copy of the original, so I'll be "finding" UK Season 3 online starting Sunday since BBC America won't be airing Season 3 until at least April.

Agreed, the ghost character especially seems weak compared to the original. The original is also funnier at the same time as being edgier. I'll watch the 2nd episode to be sure, but this looks like one to pass on, the time far better spent on the original, this is NBC/U we're talking about, when's the last time they did anything remotely compelling?
post #8 of 87 Old 01-23-2011, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 477
I missed the shows premiere. Is this a good one that needs to be added to my DVR?

Growing Older But Not Up
post #9 of 87 Old 01-23-2011, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I missed the shows premiere. Is this a good one that needs to be added to my DVR?

Well, it's on the SyFy Channel. That should tell you something.
post #10 of 87 Old 01-23-2011, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons View Post

Well, it's on the SyFy Channel. That should tell you something.

Lol. I don't mind shows on the SyFy. With that, I think I will add this to my DVR queue.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #11 of 87 Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I thought it was pretty good. Since the girl ghost seems to be so "limited" I can't imagine what she really brings to the show in the long run. I do wonder, how can these "monsters" just hide in our midst & not be find out. This is almost like True Blood in reverse (or the typical setting for such stories).

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 87 Old 01-24-2011, 10:39 AM

Tried watching an episode of the original series a while back and gave up at the halfway mark. Since it's a given that the SyFy version will be even lamer, I'll pass.
post #13 of 87 Old 01-24-2011, 08:02 PM
AAF
AVS Special Member

Okay, I'm going to say that this is better than the UK version. I'm not sure I've ever said that about an American adaptation before. By and large - most suck. It's a long list too. Wire in the Blood is the most recent failed adaptation that I can think of

I think Sam Huntington, the werewolf, is particularly good.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #14 of 87 Old 01-31-2011, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm actually enjoying this show (3 episodes in). I've never seen the BBC version. I hope it runs for a while. I hope I'm not the only one who watches.
post #15 of 87 Old 01-31-2011, 11:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAF View Post

I think Sam Huntington, the werewolf, is particularly good.

Wow.

You do recall that he's the stupid one that says a lot of nonsense, right? He's also the most antisocial of the lot and draws considerable negative attention to himself...especially for someone who is trying to keep a low profile. Finally, the actor playing the character seems like he studied at length at the Nicholas Cage school of acting - or perhaps someplace where they teach you that you're funnier if you speak louder.

For me, he's the one that is most likely to make me stop watching. I haven't watched tonight's episode yet, but it may be the decision maker for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 87 Old 02-01-2011, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Love this show. I look forward to it each week now. Something about it I really find enjoying.

post #17 of 87 Old 02-01-2011, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
Wow.

You do recall that he's the stupid one that says a lot of nonsense, right? He's also the most antisocial of the lot and draws considerable negative attention to himself...especially for someone who is trying to keep a low profile. Finally, the actor playing the character seems like he studied at length at the Nicholas Cage school of acting - or perhaps someplace where they teach you that you're funnier if you speak louder.

For me, he's the one that is most likely to make me stop watching. I haven't watched tonight's episode yet, but it may be the decision maker for me.
Since I fully share your view of him and have already seen the new episode, let me say 'goodbye' to you right now. He doesn't get any better and continues to drag the show down for me. I want to like this show, but continually find myself thinking the 2nd tier acting is a consequence of a 2nd tier (or lower) network/budget. And this guy is a prime example.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #18 of 87 Old 02-01-2011, 12:39 PM
AAF
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

You do recall that he's the stupid one that says a lot of nonsense, right? He's also the most antisocial of the lot and draws considerable negative attention to himself...especially for someone who is trying to keep a low profile.

And you realize that's the character right?

I think the actor is excellent. You don't like the character and the actor, fine.

We disagree.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #19 of 87 Old 02-02-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAF View Post

And you realize that's the character right?

I think the actor is excellent. You don't like the character and the actor, fine.

We disagree.

I gotta agree, I actually prefer his character over Aiden's. I believe he is actually suffering with his curse while Aiden just simply goes through the motions. I haven't seen much depth in Aiden and it seems all of the emotions funnel through the ghost and to be quite honest I'm kinda bored with her story line. I can give Aiden some slack, vampires are supposed to be pretty heartless so maybe the character is being played well enough. Just wish they would give us some more backstory on him without just the teasers they throw in once in a while.

YOU'RE DEAD ---> MOVE ON!!

At least we learn that although she is on a different plane so to speak that she can interact with the living to a point.
post #20 of 87 Old 02-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

So after, what, 4 or 5 episodes, this definitely gets better. I am really enjoying this show. And the nurse is smoking hot!!
post #21 of 87 Old 02-22-2011, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

This is definitely a good show but I find the vampire stories boring. The werewolf stuff was way more interesting. Plus the actor that plays the vampire that is a cop just does not play a vampire well at all, it feels off.

post #22 of 87 Old 02-22-2011, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Season 3 of the BBC version of Being Human started this last Saturday on BBC America. Check it out.

I quit watching the SyFy version after the 1st episode. The BBC characters and script is so much better.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime,
post #23 of 87 Old 02-22-2011, 06:18 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

Season 3 of the BBC version of Being Human started this last Saturday on BBC America. Check it out.

I quit watching the SyFy version after the 1st episode. The BBC characters and script is so much better.

Same thing here. I kept comparing them to their British counterparts and there was no comparison. This is especially true of Annie.
post #24 of 87 Old 02-28-2011, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm beginning to get into the show. It's definitely a different vibe than the U.K. version and that's a good thing. It's going to be really confusing once Season 3 of the BBC version starts up again.

The weakest link is still the Sally character. All she does is mope around. At least Annie (U.K. ghost) had a personality even when she was trying to figure things out.
post #25 of 87 Old 03-01-2011, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Really, REALLY, into this show. Not as much of a fan of the vampire story line like I said before, but overall, really enjoying this. I love the humor in this too, very subtle.

post #26 of 87 Old 03-03-2011, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This show has delivered my favorite line of dialog from probably any show in recent history-- "I think the wolf eats it's own poo."
post #27 of 87 Old 03-04-2011, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I thought the characters were too whiney.

I didn't know that there was a BBC version. I saw it in the listings when I was looking for Law and ORder UK (a pretty cool show by the way with Apollo), but thought it was the Syfy version.

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #28 of 87 Old 03-07-2011, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Did the writing staff pick up a couple of Buffy alumni? Tonight's episode actually had some witty banter between the friends. Quite an enjoyable episode.
post #29 of 87 Old 03-17-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 170
TV Notes
Syfy Renews Americanized "Being Human" for Second Season
By TheFutonCritic.com Staff - March 17th, 2011

The Syfy Channel has given the green light for a second season of "Being Human", based on the British series of the same name.

According to Syfy, "Being Human" has averaged 1.8 million viewers over the course of its first season (nine out of 13 episodes have aired). That makes "Human" Syfy's most successful winter premiere in 6 years. Since 53% of the total audience watching "Being Human" is female, the series is also Syfy's most female-skewing scripted series in the network's history. Overall, when encore airings are factored in, Syfy boasts that more than 19 million unique total viewers have tuned in to "Being Human".

"Being Human" airs Mondays at 9:00 p.m. on Syfy.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...0110317syfy01/

post #30 of 87 Old 03-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Well you can't say that the writers aren't willing to take risks, make changes or move the show forward. Pregnancy? A war with the Dutch? Sallys exorcism? Multiple semi-regular vampire deaths? Holy cow a lot happened in thus week's episode. Good stuff; want more!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page