'The Amazing Race' on CBS HD - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1699 Old 04-25-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Dammit you teams, stop helping each other! This is competition, not some silly reality television show, right?

Once again skipping the food challenge would have been an easy decision for me. Fondue already looks like someone has eaten it, if you know what I mean. Blech.

At last the Cowboys' ability to cheat the constraints of time failed but not by much.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1699 Old 04-25-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Aster View Post
I'm guessing that Zev and Justin would not have been allowed to eat the schnitzel if it were pork. And that the producers would take that into account.....
I recall an episode of Survivor where they were bidding blind on breakfast meals and the guy who won the ham and eggs was Jewish and apparently kosher since he ended up giving the ham away.

Anyway, have they ever mentioned that Zev and Justin are Jewish let alone kosher, because I don't recall it ever coming up? With the large number of non-practicing Jews and large number of other religions in America that are fond of old testament names, it's pretty much impossible to just go by the names.
post #273 of 1699 Old 04-25-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
Dammit you teams, stop helping each other! This is competition, not some silly reality television show, right?

Once again skipping the food challenge would have been an easy decision for me. Fondue already looks like someone has eaten it, if you know what I mean. Blech.

At last the Cowboys' ability to cheat the constraints of time failed but not by much.
Thank you, forget my feelings towards the Trotters, but everyone and their grandma seems to want to help them out? I understand everyone is buddy-buddy with them, but do you really want to be in a final 3 with them considering their physical prowess??? Aren't the teams trying to win or are they trying to hand the Trotters the win??? The teams collectively were more scared the Cowboys than the Trotters, but that's really dumb thinking since the Trotters have just as much physical prowess. I would only give the mental edge between the two to the Cowboys, but the Trotters make up for that by getting answers for anything from Zev and Justin...speaking of which, I sincerely believe the Trotters would have had to go back on the moped challenge but for their groupies Zev and Justin giving them the answer.

Also, it makes no sense for hardly anyone to use the Double U-Turn. Again, even if you are buddy-buddy with the Trotters, it's down to 5-6 teams, there isn't likely to be another U-turn again (but it doesn't matter), use it god damn it!! Make Kisha and Jen or Gary and Mallory go back and do the fondue challenge they didn't want to touch, or as I noted, U-turn the Trotters. I don't like that teams are so scared to use it. This was the perfect time to use the u-turns (both of them only one got used, ridiculous) because nobody wanted to touch the fondue, and even Zev and Justin know that most teams couldn't get through it.

They think "karma" will come back to them, but that makes no sense whatsoever. It's beyond dumb that only a second to last place team ever uses the U-turn to insure they will advance. When you start the next leg is also determined by when you check in, so if you can delay the team behind you, it makes sense (notwithstanding bunching points, but as a competitor you can't see them coming). So it made total sense for Zev and Justin to use it on somebody, especially Kisha and Jen since they knew they close (because they had tried the fondue and then gave up).
post #274 of 1699 Old 04-25-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Hate to see the cowboys go .. they were a class act, IMO .. and I guess they finished the fondue challenge although no time was really spent watching them ..

Fondue looked bad, especially near the end of the pot ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #275 of 1699 Old 04-25-2011, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Thank you, forget my feelings towards the Trotters, but everyone and their grandma seems to want to help them out? I understand everyone is buddy-buddy with them, but do you really want to be in a final 3 with them considering their physical prowess??? ....

I think what's going on here is that everyone knows that the final stage always contains a Roadblock that involves recalling lots of details about all the previous stages and they all seem to think that they'd rather be competing against the Trotters rather than the Cowboys on that stage and their physical prowess is a wash.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about Kisha and Jen [unless they know another swimming challenge is coming up ].
post #276 of 1699 Old 04-25-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

I think what's going on here is that everyone knows that the final stage always contains a Roadblock that involves recalling lots of details about all the previous stages and they all seem to think that they'd rather be competing against the Trotters rather than the Cowboys on that stage and their physical prowess is a wash.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about Kisha and Jen [unless they know another swimming challenge is coming up ].

As much as I like the cowboys, I don't recall them being exactly Einstein ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #277 of 1699 Old 04-25-2011, 02:05 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
It would have been interesting to see the mound of bread chunks they needed to swab up all that fondue . I suppose they must have been required to use the bread because it would have been a lot easier to just ask for a spoon otherwise. Even then, that much rich cheese would be pretty sickening as well I guess. Just think of all the saturated fat and sodium they had to pack down...

ron
post #278 of 1699 Old 04-25-2011, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Now if that is a reason behind practically pushing the Trotters into the final 3, even if its not the sole reason, I can get behind that. If you had to ask me who I wanted to compete against in one of those final leg roadblocks where you have to recall things from every leg, I'd want to be up against the Trotters rather than the Cowboys. Trotters have proven that they stink in mental challenges (original season, had to quit because they couldn't get the correct answer) and lack of attention to detail (didn't pay attention to flavor of tea they tasted in China, almost cost them in India).

My only counter to that is if the Trotters are pushed into the finals and get far enough ahead, they can make up for length of time they take to finish such a challenge.

Your point about Kisha and Jen is well received, and considering Zev and Justin saw them bail on the fondue challenge, the U-Turn was their opportunity to really stick it to them. It's not like there are any really weak teams at this point (physically, Kynt and Vixsin might fall into that), so having to go back and do the fondue would have been a major blow to Kisha and Jen. If they survived, it could have crushed them. They could have been too sick to continue, for example, or simply psychologically drained that it affects on them on future legs. But again, Zev and Justin aren't thinking like that, which is a shame.

I know I may get decked to saying this, but TAR needs more people who will play TAR like Russell plays Survivor. Byt that I mean TAR could really use someone (or I should say someones) who wants to use U-Turns everytime (so much so that even once they've used a u-turn, they try to convince other teams to use it strategically), tries to throw other teams offtrack by giving them false information, etc.

This unfinished business season you thought would be great given the determination of these teams to win, but then you have teams like Zev and Justin who just want to make friends during the Race. Ugh.
post #279 of 1699 Old 04-25-2011, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I may be in the minority, however, I've always viewed TAR as a kind of condensed "Around the World in 80 Days" .. played with a degree of civility and hosted by a real gentleman .. in fact, the only reality show where the backstabbing, cheating and lying is rare .. which is refreshing for me anyway .. .. like I said, I'm probably in the minority on that ..

Not to say that a Russell might not add some spice, but it would change the flavor of things substantially ..

There is almost a feel of a throwback to an earlier time with TAR .. IMO ..

Uncle Willie

post #280 of 1699 Old 04-25-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I may be in the minority, however, I've always viewed TAR as a kind of condensed "Around the World in 80 Days" .. played with a degree of civility and hosted by a real gentleman .. in fact, the only reality show where the backstabbing, cheating and lying is rare .. which is refreshing for me anyway .. .. like I said, I'm probably in the minority on that ..

Not to say that a Russell might not add some spice, but it would change the flavor of things substantially ..

But I'm only suggesting it because it's gotten to the point where there is no competition. I wouldn't mind the atmosphere you describe, as long as it was unfathomable for the teams to share information such the answer to how long the ride was from North Liechtenstein to South Liechtenstein. It would not be underhanded to not give them the answer and force them to actually participate in these challenges (in that case, by paying attention the odometer and having to make corrections for going off-track and so forth). It would have not been underhanded for Zev and Justin to U-Turn Kisha and Jen, knowing that they didn't want any part of the fondue challenge, having previously given up right before their eyes.

That's the only reason I suggest that something the other way needs to be there because it's getting way too friendly during active racing for this to be a competition. And Russell's an extreme I am point out for dramatic effect. It can be someone who is half of a Russell type and that would still be better than the on-camera lovefest we are seeing now. I don't mind if the teams like each other behind the scenes, and don't necessarily mind strategy/alliances, but at some point you've got to think that you want to get to the final 3 and who you want to be there at the end so you have the best chance of winning. Not enough Survivor contestants think like that, and it seems like virtually no TAR contestants think in that mode.
post #281 of 1699 Old 04-25-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But I'm only suggesting it because it's gotten to the point where there is no competition. I wouldn't mind the atmosphere you describe, as long as it was unfathomable to the teams to share information such the answer to how long the ride was from North Liechtenstein to South Liechtenstein. It would not be underhanded to not give them the answer and force them to actually participate in these challenges (in that case, by paying attention the odometer and having to make corrections for going off-track and so forth). It would have not been underhanded for Zev and Justin to U-Turn Kisha and Jen, knowing that they didn't want any part of the fondue challenge, having previously given up right before their eyes.

That's the only reason I suggest that something the other way needs to be there because it's getting way too friendly during active racing for this to be a competition.

I understand .. the U-Turns are there to be used or not .. and I did not agree with the answer sharing on the bike ride .. the cowboys were never in the "circle of trust" in this season .. and, yes, I agree that perhaps steps could be taken to liven things up somewhat .. I just don't want it to turn into a stereotypical reality show ..

Uncle Willie

post #282 of 1699 Old 04-25-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand .. the U-Turns are there to be used or not .. and I did not agree with the answer sharing on the bike ride .. the cowboys were never in the "circle of trust" in this season .. and, yes, I agree that perhaps steps could be taken to liven things up somewhat .. I just don't want it to turn into a stereotypical reality show ..

We can definitely agree on that and I don't think that will ever happen, as TAR has a solid base of fans/ratings that it doesn't need to bring in people like Russell or nutso Phillip (from this season's survivor cast), but a team of strategists wouldn't hurt, that's all I'm saying.

IMHO, the best individual from this season hands down is Christina. Christina is very intelligent, always tries to learn basic words of the language where-ever they are visiting, and rocks mental challenges and can do well enough in physical challenges. Her downfall is her dopey dad, a real life version of Homer Simpson.

Edit: For this season [or say future seasons], all they have to say is, at the beginning of a season, that sharing answers to a team that has not yet completed that task will give both teams (the ones who share and the ones who solicit) a 2 hour penalty at the next pit stop. I think most of us could live with that rule, a rule that normally wouldn't be needed but appears to be needed in TAR. The evidence is almost always on camera and the producers can determine if a team is asking for answers or if a team just volunteered it, and penalize appropriately. For example, if the Trotters rode by and said nothing and Zev/Justin said "Hey Trotters, the answer is 22km. Love you guys" Then I would be ok with the penalty to Zev and Justin only. But if the Trotters ask and then receive the answer (Which they did ask), both teams get penalties. That would stop this answer sharing nonsense (recall that Zev and Justin gave an answer earlier this season to the Trotters in Australia allowing the Trotters not to have to do a tedious task)...and yes I would support a 2 hour penalty for a team that even asks without getting an answer, this whole thing needs to be nipped in the bud and teams should have it engrained in them that will almost assuredly lose if they even ask someone (another team) for an answer...
post #283 of 1699 Old 04-25-2011, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As much as I like the cowboys, I don't recall them being exactly Einstein ..

I'd agree with that. But I think it's the relative nature of it rather than the absolute. As Pappy mentioned, the Trotters are notoriously bad at the detail tasks whereas the Cowboys were just a bit below average.
post #284 of 1699 Old 04-25-2011, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But I'm only suggesting it because it's gotten to the point where there is no competition...

I wouldn't go quite that far. I'd say it's still a competition, but more like olympic boxing, with 20oz gloves and headgear and a heavy emphasis on scoring points rather than on damaging your opponent.

Quote:

. I don't mind if the teams like each other behind the scenes, and don't necessarily mind strategy/alliances, but at some point you've got to think that you want to get to the final 3 and who you want to be there at the end so you have the best chance of winning. Not enough Survivor contestants think like that, and it seems like virtually no TAR contestants think in that mode.

I think my complaint about not using the U-turn falls into that category. At some point you need to realize that it's possible to get lost on the way to the rest stop so you really need to U-turn someone just to pad your lead. This is especially true for teams like Team Pink that seem to be able to get lost when just crossing the street. And if your lucky, you can target the strongest competitors too.
post #285 of 1699 Old 04-26-2011, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 174
With the Cowboys gone, I don't really have a team I am rooting for, don't care who wins now.

post #286 of 1699 Old 04-26-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 367
The Cowboys were nice guys, but no one would want to go against those guys in the finals. It does not matter if it is luck or skill, but they have managed to overcome some really bad odds. If I was one of those teams I would have teamed up to get rid of them as well.
post #287 of 1699 Old 04-26-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:

Rob was on the show already, and he was as devious as they get. I just think this season has a lot of naturally friendly and co-operative people. Not to mention you have three teams who have spent time in the same state. Since that state is basketball crazy even the Trotters have a built in connection.
post #288 of 1699 Old 04-26-2011, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

The Cowboys were nice guys, but no one would want to go against those guys in the finals. It does not matter if it is luck or skill, but they have managed to overcome some really bad odds. If I was one of those teams I would have teamed up to get rid of them as well.

I'd take it a step further and say they were the hardest playing team this season .. they definitely wanted the win ..

Some of the others that are left are still in it from a lot of luck ..

Uncle Willie

post #289 of 1699 Old 04-26-2011, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

Rob was on the show already, and he was as devious as they get. I just think this season has a lot of naturally friendly and co-operative people. Not to mention you have three teams who have spent time in the same state. Since that state is basketball crazy even the Trotters have a built in connection.

Yep, I remember the "Rob and Amber" season ..

Uncle Willie

post #290 of 1699 Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Kynt, or Kent, looks like he is much better shape this time around. It still looks like Vyxsin could kick his ass, but at least now it looks like he could put up a fight.

I take back what I said. God, he is like a child with how weak he is and how much he complains.
post #291 of 1699 Old 04-26-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

With the Cowboys gone, I don't really have a team I am rooting for, don't care who wins now.

I like everybody. I actually like that the teams help each other even though I know they shouldn't. I would too but I'd probably be eliminated pretty quickly.

At least the teams have lots of chances to win prizes for coming in first on certain legs. It beats winning decent food like on Survivor.

post #292 of 1699 Old 04-26-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I like everybody. I actually like that the teams help each other even though I know they shouldn't. I would too but I'd probably be eliminated pretty quickly.

At least the teams have lots of chances to win prizes for coming in first on certain legs. It beats winning decent food like on Survivor.

Yeah, those two cars were sweet .. seemed like one of the best prizes ever offered on the show ..

Uncle Willie

post #293 of 1699 Old 04-26-2011, 09:38 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Yeah, those two cars were sweet .. seemed like one of the best prizes ever offered on the show ..

That was a little surprising to see alright

ron
post #294 of 1699 Old 04-26-2011, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

I take back what I said. God, he is like a child with how weak he is and how much he complains.

I've been enjoying Kynt and Vyxsin's arguing and Kynt's babyish whining. The funniest part of this week's episode is when he sat in the cart like a toddler and she wheeled him around.

The funniest parts of last week was the Globetrotters' vague and mixed-up knowledge about Sigmund Freud:

"I think he liked to lie on a couch and Philosophize..."

"Who was Freud?"
"Not sure, but I think he had dreams about his mother..."

Doug
post #295 of 1699 Old 05-01-2011, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Always surprised when a team misses something that important in a clue, this time pleasantly so. Very glad to be rid of Kynt
post #296 of 1699 Old 05-01-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Crap, West Coast airing is preempted by probably the news of the decade.
post #297 of 1699 Old 05-02-2011, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
^

That must have been one of the more expensive stops for the producers to undertake. An hour of helo time in Switzerland is crazy expensive. Then add all of the search and rescue specialists assisting as well, never mind the actual cost of staying there.

My first tought was, why don't they just run back to wherever they took the taxi from and run back - would that not have counted? It would have been good to know at what point in the 30 min penalty did the Zev and Justin show up.
post #298 of 1699 Old 05-02-2011, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Guess West Coast viewers will have to settle for watching "TAR" on the internet because of the Osama pre-emption news. Shame, because last night was the best-looking "TAR" episode in high-def that I've ever seen. The combination of a picture-perfect Swiss location, tasks that weren't fast-paced (just a handful of fixed outdoor and indoor locales) and decent photography made this one quite the looker. And though I'll miss Vixen and Kint's bickering any team dumb-enough to not read the clue and be done by their own stupidity (though it's more on him than her) deserves their humbling departure. You can keep Kint Vixen, he's your headache now.

BTW, two-hour season finale next week. It'll be a long summer, but afterwards we get our first regular "TAR" (all new contestants) in high-def.
post #299 of 1699 Old 05-02-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Guess West Coast viewers will have to settle for watching "TAR" on the internet because of the Osama pre-emption news.

It was just delayed an hour.

post #300 of 1699 Old 05-02-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

BTW, two-hour season finale next week. It'll be a long summer, but afterwards we get our first regular "TAR" (all new contestants) in high-def.

Any reason anybody is aware of as to why CBS wants to end TAR so early? I mean, it's not custom to have a two hour finale. Usually the show drags on with a final 4 for two weeks, and then finale (one-hour) has three teams.

For this season, the season is ending early with presumably the first hour seeing one team eliminated leaving a final 3 to duke it out for the final prize.

Considering the "Trotters" going from "worst to first," I actually wanted to see Zev and Justin eliminated in the last leg. Would have been justice for giving the 22km answer to the Trotters in the last leg. As it is, if Zev and Justin finish second or third and the Trotters win, Zev and Justin should look back at themselves and realize how idiotic it was to give answers to another team on two occassions.

I hate to say it, but when your final 4 consists of the Trotters, the Trotters groupies, a dad with his beauty paegent queen daughter, and another team, I think I'm rooting for that other team to win it all. That team being, of course, Kisha and Jen.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page