post #361 of 1699 Old 05-09-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazza View Post
Maybe this has been explained before, but how do they pick the taxi drivers? ....
I don't know about Miami, but in a lot of cities in the US, you're not allowed to pick any taxi you want. For example, here in Phoenix, you get in line at the taxi stop and when you get to the front of the line you get whatever taxi is next in line. If you don't like that taxi too bad, you either take it or go back to the end of the line and wait and see what cab you get stuck with the next time you get to the front. If no one else is in line, then you'll have to wait until someone else comes along and takes the cab you don't like and then get back in line.

This bullsh*t is why some people will actually pay twice as much to use the limo service at PHX SkyHarbor since they can actually pick whichever limo they want instead of being forced to take a cab they don't want to get in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1699 Old 05-09-2011, 01:34 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the clarification of the camera man getting in the front of the taxi - I guess they just have to get permission to use footage of the cab driver (why would Sterling allow that ... lol?).

To Mac the Knife ... yep, lived in Phoenix and LA so understand how the taxi lines work, just wasn't sure how the camera stuff played out. (Haven't watched much of TAR)
post #363 of 1699 Old 05-09-2011, 01:41 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post
I think Justin said it more than once, but the time I remember he said "What's the penalty for punching her in the face?"
Yeah, I think there were several iterations of that theme in there. You just know it's gotta hurt when it takes 3-4 good, hard yanks to pull a patch off

ron
post #364 of 1699 Old 05-09-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
BTW scowl, since you haven't seen any other episode of "TAR" yet (and if you can avoid spoilers) I'd strongly suggest you rent on DVD Seasons 1 and 7 of "TAR" (the only one's released so far on home video) to see how the show has evolved.
I thought this show was fine but it's nothing I would spend more time on. I like the concept but I got very tired of the hyperactive soundtrack and the cuts every three to five seconds so I couldn't focus on anything.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #365 of 1699 Old 05-09-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

For example, here in Phoenix, you get in line at the taxi stop and when you get to the front of the line you get whatever taxi is next in line. If you don't like that taxi too bad, you either take it or go back to the end of the line and wait and see what cab you get stuck with the next time you get to the front. If no one else is in line, then you'll have to wait until someone else comes along and takes the cab you don't like and then get back in line.

In Portland you can give the person behind you the taxi you don't like. You don't have to go to the end of the line.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #366 of 1699 Old 05-10-2011, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 149
As long as the Globtrotters didn't win I am happy with the result.

post #367 of 1699 Old 05-10-2011, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 329
I happy for Kesha and Jen. They played for our local university so it is nice to see a team with a local connection win. I never understood the dislike for the Trotters. They are fun guys who wear their emotions on their sleeves. I liked the switch up of the memory challenge since most of teams have already seen something like during their race.

The biggest hang up for the final challenge was the wind. Having bad luck with a taxi driver is just part of the game. We have seen plenty of legs change when you have a good taxi driver so I do not see why things should change.
post #368 of 1699 Old 05-10-2011, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

I felt bad but I was howling on the couch when Justin and Zev were undergoing their wax torture. I see since they were so densely carpeted, the waxers had mercy on them and only did patches.

ron

If you watched closely for all the contestants' waxing, they showed a countdown clock. So, it was a set amount of time. They stopped when the clock stopped, and Justin and Zev had a lot more hair left than the other contestants.

Doug
post #369 of 1699 Old 05-10-2011, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

I happy for Kesha and Jen. They played for our local university so it is nice to see a team with a local connection win. I never understood the dislike for the Trotters. They are fun guys who wear their emotions on their sleeves. I liked the switch up of the memory challenge since most of teams have already seen something like during their race.

I liked all four of the final teams this time. If I have any complaint about Kesha and Jen, it was that they were a bit boring - no infighting, etc. Sometimes, the problem teams like Vyxen and Kynt are the most entertaining, but I'm glad they didn't win.

Doug
post #370 of 1699 Old 05-10-2011, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

As long as the Globtrotters didn't win I am happy with the result.

Thankfully for you, the "Globtrotters" weren't on the show.

I still don't get the hate for the Trotters. They were my favorite team, and primarily because they were both competitive AND enjoying the ride...though Zev and Justin became a strong second favorite near the end.

I guess I get the "publicity/product placement" angle as far as the Trotters go, but who cares? As someone said here, it's not like no one has ever heard of them. The team is still active, and still touring (they were here during this season), and they don't need two contestants on TAR to promote them.

And I'm someone who has decried "stunt casting" on this show in the past. You should have heard me bleat when they cast Rob-n-Ambuh. But they were a good team, had a good season (two of 'em counting All-Stars) and I accepted them in the TAR-not-Survivor universe.

Kisha and Jen? Meh. They were a good, strong, competitive team, but boring as all get out. Nothing to distinguish them, nothing to "grab onto" as far as personality goes. But congrats to them for the win...they very much deserved it, and I agree that teams should have been more worried about them over the course of the season than, say, the Cowboys.

I still have a headache from some of Mallory's screeching, but I liked their final leg. They knew pretty much from the moment they had cab problems that they were gonna come in last (boo, bad taxis!), but enjoyed their way all the way to third place.
post #371 of 1699 Old 05-10-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder how much they made being a Globetrotter? Are there salaries huge like NBA players?

post #372 of 1699 Old 05-10-2011, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I wonder how much they made being a Globetrotter? Are there salaries huge like NBA players?

All I can find on line is a 4 year old article ..

http://nycitywatch.org/mu/nycitywatc...s-up-to-speed/

But I don't think they approach the NBA level ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #373 of 1699 Old 05-10-2011, 11:21 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

If you watched closely for all the contestants' waxing, they showed a countdown clock. So, it was a set amount of time. They stopped when the clock stopped, and Justin and Zev had a lot more hair left than the other contestants.

Doug

Ah, now that you mention it I do remember seeing the clock on some of the others. I was so busy laughing/cringing while they were doing Z&J that I didn't even notice it then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

IIRC the NBA minimum is about 500K a year, and the maximum is somwhere around 20 million now.

ron
post #374 of 1699 Old 05-10-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

IIRC the NBA minimum is about 500K a year, and the maximum is somwhere around 20 million now.

ron

I have a hard time believing a Globetrotter does 500K ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #375 of 1699 Old 05-11-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now I am even more glad they did not win.

post #376 of 1699 Old 05-11-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I cannot believe how much hate there is on this forum for the Globetrotters! It seems rather transparent by your responses.
I enjoyed the episode with the response they gave to the cheerleaders who tried to eliminate them. In staying with the topic Jen and Kisha just didn't have a lot of drama as did Mallory and her Dad.

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #377 of 1699 Old 05-11-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I cannot believe how much hate there is on this forum for the Globetrotters! It seems rather transparent by your responses.
I enjoyed the episode with the response they gave to the cheerleaders who tried to eliminate them. In staying with the topic Jen and Kisha just didn't have a lot of drama as did Mallory and her Dad.
So by your standards, no one should dis the Globetrotters .. ?? We have a right, last time I checked, to like or dislike any team .. I don't think the 'Trotters were exclusive in being disliked .. I fact, I did not dislike them at all ..

Although I did think Big Easy had a chip on his shoulder at times .. a little factoid on him .. he was displaced by Katrina and New Orleans is his hometown .. thus "Big Easy" ..

post #378 of 1699 Old 05-11-2011, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
To those who keep saying "I cannot believe people hate the Trotters team," go back and read the posts in this thread about the hatred. It's all been explained. You don't have to agree, but it's been said, no need to repeat it again.

Of course I am in the camp happy they didn't win (and will be happy to never see a team of Globetrotters on TAR anymore, which I hope is the case), and in fact, I'm STILL pissed Zev and Justin gave them answers on two occasions this race, only to find the Trotters passing them to make the final 3.
post #379 of 1699 Old 05-11-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
I have a hard time believing a Globetrotter does 500K ..
My best guess would be that they make more than players make in the European pro leagues (other than a couple of the highest paid players) but less than NBA pros.
post #380 of 1699 Old 05-11-2011, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 161
TV Notes
Phil Keoghan Signs New Deal, Sticks With The Amazing Race
By Michael Schneider, TVGuide.com - May 11th, 2011

EXCLUSIVE: It's another non-elimination round for Phil Keoghan, who has just signed a new deal to continue for several more years as host of CBS' The Amazing Race.

Under the new deal, Keoghan has now been named a co-executive producer of the Race (an acknowledgement that he's already deeply involved with the show's production). "Most of what I do [on Race] is behind-the-scenes," Keoghan says. "My energy has been consumed with other duties besides just being in front of the camera. I've always enjoyed that side of it."

Keoghan's deal with CBS also includes a development component at the network. "I've been talking to CBS about developing other projects," he says. "It's been a part of what I've done for years anyway. I'm constantly thinking up new ideas and ways of sharing stories."

Keoghan hits the road for the 19th edition of The Amazing Race next month. The show just concluded its 18th cycle, an all-star edition, and recently celebrated its 10-year anniversary with a reunion of past contestants in Miami.

The Amazing Race has helped Keoghan expand his "No Opportunity Wasted" brand line, which now encompasses TV, as well as a line of nutrition bars and luggage. He also regularly gives motivational speeches, and in 2009 rode a bike cross-country for charity. That journey was turned into the documentary The Ride.

"My real motivation is to inspire people, and that's why I have enjoyed my time on The Amazing Race so much," Keoghan says.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Phil-Keo...l-1032942.aspx
post #381 of 1699 Old 05-12-2011, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought the Globetrotters were fine. The only thing they did that bothered me was when Run Time took a piss on the wall of the library in Vienna. How tacky!

Doug
post #382 of 1699 Old 05-12-2011, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 329
It is nice to see Phil re-up with a new contract. He does what every good host in his position should do be entertaining without making the show about you.
post #383 of 1699 Old 05-12-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree. The host of these kind of shows really makes a difference and is part of the experience for me. So glad he signed on for more seasons.

post #384 of 1699 Old 05-12-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

To those who keep saying "I cannot believe people hate the Trotters team," go back and read the posts in this thread about the hatred. It's all been explained. You don't have to agree, but it's been said, no need to repeat it again.

As for me, I said "I don't get the hate"...in that what bothers you and some others in here, I understand the basic explanation, I just don't get why that translates into "over the top hate".

There are plenty of teams I haven't liked over the 18 seasons, including some that had decent fan bases. I particularly dislike teams who come in saying they're "intense", which is usually TAR code for "he's going to be a super jerk".

I also dislike teams that put no effort into competing, who lolly-gag around and seem to treat leg #1 as a free trip and nothing more.

Yes, I'm complex.

Glad to see Phil has re-upped. I can't imagine TAR without Phil.
post #385 of 1699 Old 05-12-2011, 01:23 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

As for me, I said "I don't get the hate"...in that what bothers you and some others in here, I understand the basic explanation, I just don't get why that translates into "over the top hate".

Agree 100%

ron
post #386 of 1699 Old 06-16-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

No surprise here given Phil's deal announcement earlier, CBS PICKS "TAR" FOR 20TH CYCLE (WINTER/SPRING 2012): http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/cbs-...-amazing-race/.
post #387 of 1699 Old 06-16-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
No surprise here given Phil's deal announcement earlier, CBS PICKS "TAR" FOR 20TH CYCLE (WINTER/SPRING 2012): http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/cbs-...-amazing-race/.
More importantly, this confirms that CBS will NOT abandon doing two TAR "Seasons" during one TV season. There has been speculation over the past couple of years that CBS is tired of having TAR in the fall and spring and might go down to one "season" only. Apparently they are still doing well enough for the normal schedule.

My guess TAR 19 is already filmed, just being (heavily) edited now, and TAR 20 will probably film later this summer (August/Sept).
post #388 of 1699 Old 01-25-2012, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Border agents, clown couple team up on new 'The Amazing Race'
By Greg Braxton, Los Angeles Times' 'Show Tracker' Blog - Jan. 25, 2012

A pair of border agents, a married clown couple and last season's winner of CBS' "Big Brother" will be among the contestants competing in the upcoming 20th season of "The Amazing Race" premiering Feb. 19 on CBS.

The series this season will make first-time visits to Paraguay, Azerbaijan and other exotic locations. Along the way, the teams will travel five continents, 22 cities and nearly 40,000 miles.

One team will be composed of last year's winner of "Big Brother," Rachel Reilly, and her fiancé and fellow Houseguest, Brendon Villegas.

Other teams include:

U.S. Army Officer Dave Brown Jr. and his wife, project manager Rachel Brown, of Madison, Wis.

Motorcycle mechanic William "Bopper" Minton and best friend, former state inspector Mark Jackson, both of Manchester, Ky.

Federal agent Nary Ebeid and federal agent Jamie Graetz, both of Los Angeles. They are best friends.

Trainer/supplement company owner Joey "Fitness" Lasalla of Whitestone, N.Y. and his friend Danny Horal, a nightclub promoter from Holbrook, N.Y.

Car buyer Misa Tanaka and her sister, professional golfer Maiya Tanaka, of San Diego.

Married couple and "Ambassadors of Laughter" Dave Gregg and Cherie Gregg of New Port Richey, Fla. They are clowns.

Musician Elliot Weber of Scottsdale, Ariz., and his twin brother, professional soccer player Andrew Weber, of Menlo Park, Calif.

Program coordinator Kerri Paul, and her cousin Stacy Bowers, both of Gulfport, Miss.

Freelance writer Vanessa Macias and bar owner Ralph Kelley, both of of San Antonio. They are "dating divorcées."

Border partol agents and best friends, Art Velez of Temecula, and J.J. Carell of Carlsbad.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...ing-race-.html

MODS:
any way we can remove the '18' from the title of the thread so this can remain an active 'Amazing Race (in HD)' thread for the new and future seasons of the show in HD? Just askin'.
post #389 of 1699 Old 01-26-2012, 01:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I can't wait!

I hope another person gets hit by a watermelon or runs out of money to pay a taxi cab.
post #390 of 1699 Old 01-26-2012, 04:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

MODS: any way we can remove the '18' from the title of the thread so this can remain an active 'Amazing Race (in HD)' thread for the new and future seasons of the show in HD? Just askin'.

Why don't people understand moderators don't always read every post of every topic, and if informed of a request via Private Message, will respond?

Not askin'. Just tellin'.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page