post #541 of 1780 Old 04-10-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Sounds like if you were going on TAR it would probably be a good idea for you to spend an hour or so riding a man's bike around then Whitearrow!

Definitely... though I have to say, of the many things one could do to get ready to compete on TAR, before this episode, this one wouldn't have occurred to me.

(PS - I will definitely not be going on TAR!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1780 Old 04-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can't stand Army guy yelling at his wife.

Also Big Brother lady got called fat.

lol
post #543 of 1780 Old 04-11-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post

Can't stand Army guy yelling at his wife.

I agree, but at times she can be quite a harpy.
post #544 of 1780 Old 04-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Vanessa is the worst in our opinion; what a ****. Hope she's gone next...
post #545 of 1780 Old 04-11-2012, 05:26 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post

Vanessa is the worst in our opinion; what a ****. Hope she's gone next...

I love Vanessa . It's probably not smart of her to waste that much time and energy getting sucked into digging at Rachel but, you don't see her having big issues with any of the other teams do you? They all have their little stress related problems with their partners and the other teams but I think there are reasons "nobody likes the green team".

ron
post #546 of 1780 Old 04-11-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

I love Vanessa . It's probably not smart of her to waste that much time and energy getting sucked into digging at Rachel but, you don't see her having big issues with any of the other teams do you? They all have their little stress related problems with their partners and the other teams but I think there are reasons "nobody likes the green team".

ron

Especially if they also watch Big Brother (twice).
post #547 of 1780 Old 04-12-2012, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I'm definitely "pro-Venessa". She is one of the best parts of watching the show this year.
post #548 of 1780 Old 04-12-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 88
She's a mean girl but she bullies someone who's not that sympathetic.
post #549 of 1780 Old 04-12-2012, 12:28 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

She's a mean girl but she bullies someone who's not that sympathetic.

Ah, but that raises the question, is it really "mean" when it's well deserved? Some would just consider it putting someone in their place. It's like she said, "She shouldn't dish it out if she can't take it."...

ron
post #550 of 1780 Old 04-12-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Well maybe it's the editing but the first time they clashed was when Vanessa was making fun of Rachel who was bending over and people could see some intimate parts of her.

Rachel has an irritating personality but she didn't deserve that kind of humiliation and she didn't target that personality at Vanessa.
post #551 of 1780 Old 04-12-2012, 01:11 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Well maybe it's the editing but the first time they clashed was when Vanessa was making fun of Rachel who was bending over and people could see some intimate parts of her.

Rachel has an irritating personality but she didn't deserve that kind of humiliation and she didn't target that personality at Vanessa.

At the time I thought that may have just been game play, as a way to piss Rachel off and distract her from the task at hand, which it did if I remember correctly, since it seemed so out of the blue otherwise. Or it may have just been ongoing from some earlier stuff as well. The main reason I think it's like that is because Vanessa doesn't really seem to have any big issues with any of the other teams, and Rachel is well known for being pissy to other women, especially other hot women she seems to feel some how threatened by. Like another of Vanessa's comments, Rachel's giant insecurities seem to bring the serious cattiness out in her (based on big brother seasons anyway).

ron
post #552 of 1780 Old 04-13-2012, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Go put on some more sparkle!

post #553 of 1780 Old 04-16-2012, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 200
YOU BROKE YOUR WORD! YOU BROKE YOUR WORD!

How ridiculous the way those guys went carrying on about it.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #554 of 1780 Old 04-16-2012, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Did anyone else laugh like an idiot when they showed the shot of Narie and Jamie on a plane (the one where one of them looks sick and the other points like a model) in the title credits? Of all the new tweaks the show has introduced recently (like contestants reading the clues being the background to video showing their next location/task) the new updates to the opening credits as the show's season advances is my favorite.

Boring episode since we all knew Narie and Jamie were out of it, especially when it became clear they'd reach the next-to-last point at the same task the Fed gals were supposed to do an additional task. And, as disliked as they are, I can't help but root for Team Big Brother now that two teams are wholeheartedly gunning for them. And color me surprised that Team Kentucky (with Boper practically on one leg; who has knee surgery a few months prior to going on a reality TV show about running a race around the world?) got a #1 placement. When the season started I didn't like anybody besides Rachel and Brendon (because of my "Big Brother" fandom), but now I've kind-of grown used to the teams left and don't dislike any of them as much as neutral. Even Art and J.J.'s 'WE WERE LIED TO' schtick isn't upsetting as much as a realization that every team that competes eventually realizes: everybody is looking out for #1. Dave and Rachel were totally correct not to waste a U-Turn on a team that they knew they couldn't eliminate. It'd be ironic if Team Big Brother and Team Border Patrol end up taking each other out (or Dave and Rachel are taken down by Art/JJ, then Rachel/Brendon take Art/JJ out) allowing the other 'weak' teams to practically walk into the Final 3.

I wonder if there's a 'Jimmy Carter' or 'Bill Clinton' little business on that same road where there's a Clinton/Obama shack store.
post #555 of 1780 Old 04-16-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

When the season started I didn't like anybody besides Rachel and Brendon (because of my "Big Brother" fandom)

You are very unique. Usually it's the people that watched Big Brother that don't like Brendon & Rachel.

I had assumed the only fans they'd have in AR were people that didn't know them at all.
post #556 of 1780 Old 04-16-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I've watched my fair share of "reality tv", but Big Brother was one that I managed to avoid. Based solely upon their participation in AR, Brendon/Rachel seem decent to me. She's over-emotional and whiny at times, but all in all, she seems like she has a good heart while Brendon seems to be a pretty steady and decent guy. Apparently they didn't come off as well on Big Brother.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #557 of 1780 Old 04-16-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

Did anyone else laugh like an idiot when they showed the shot of Narie and Jamie on a plane (the one where one of them looks sick and the other points like a model) in the title credits? Of all the new tweaks the show has introduced recently (like contestants reading the clues being the background to video showing their next location/task) the new updates to the opening credits as the show's season advances is my favorite.

We DVR the show, so I never noticed there was a new beginning each week. That's pretty cool.

I gotta say one thing I'm disappointed at. For being in a place as hot as Tanzania, I'm upset that Rachel (BB) and Vanessa wore so much clothing. I was kinda hoping for a lot less being worn up top.
post #558 of 1780 Old 04-16-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Ah, but that raises the question, is it really "mean" when it's well deserved? Some would just consider it putting someone in their place. It's like she said, "She shouldn't dish it out if she can't take it."...

ron

Nobody seems to remember that Rachel was being catty and making comments about how Vanessa needs to go put on some more make-up just a couple of episodes prior.

Then Rachel is crying that its just so 'wrong' that Vanessa was making personal comments about her appearance.

Blah. I agree with Vanessa...if Rachel cant take it then dont dish it out.

I sure hope Rachel doesnt win...which is a shame because her boyfriend seems to be a decent enough guy.

So far I'm rooting for Art and JJ...(though I wont mind if Vanessa sticks around)

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #559 of 1780 Old 04-16-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

Nobody seems to remember that Rachel was being catty and making comments about how Vanessa needs to go put on some more make-up just a couple of episodes prior.

Then Rachel is crying that its just so 'wrong' that Vanessa was making personal comments about her appearance.

Blah. I agree with Vanessa...if Rachel cant take it then dont dish it out.

I sure hope Rachel doesnt win...which is a shame because her boyfriend seems to be a decent enough guy.

So far I'm rooting for Art and JJ...(though I wont mind if Vanessa sticks around)

Exactly .. however ... Team Kentucky for the win ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #560 of 1780 Old 04-16-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Those Kentucky boys are one of the most likable teams ever to run the race.
post #561 of 1780 Old 04-16-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Those Kentucky boys are one of the most likable teams ever to run the race.

Yup .. they are honest / what you see is what you get / they are having the time of their lives /

I was so glad to see them win the leg last night .. too bad Ford was not giving away another couple cars ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #562 of 1780 Old 04-16-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

... Dave and Rachel were totally correct not to waste a U-Turn on a team that they knew they couldn't eliminate. ...

I've gone back and forth on this issue and I think where I finally ended up is that it would have been a bad idea for Dave and Rachel to use the u-turn, but there was no downside and a big potential upside for the Border Patrol doing it.

Because it was a double u-turn, which meant Big Brother wouldn't be the only one that got u-turned and because the Faux Teachers started out over three hours behind and because there's likely a multi-hour long bunching point at the airport for the next stage, it was highly unlikely that they could eliminate Big Brother, so I agree there was no point in Dave and Rachel adding a target on their back.

But, the BP already had a big target on their back for winning so many stages and for backing Ralph and Vanessa in the bird-flipping situation. So adding a u-turn on top of all that isn't going to matter.

And in TAR, you never know how important that u-turn could have been. Admittedly, the odds were terribly low, but if Rachel had just dropped that water barrel in a slightly different spot on her leg or foot, instead of just a scrape, she might have broken her foot or sprained her ankle or her knee and been knocked out of the game.

Or if they get lost on the way to the airport, the extra hour wasted on the u-turn might be the difference between making a flight and missing it. So I'd say the Border Patrol made the correct decision too. Might as well throw every obstacle you can at them and increase the odds that one of them actually works.
post #563 of 1780 Old 04-16-2012, 07:18 PM

The bottom line - and the reason the Border Patrol guys were right to be ticked off - is that the Army guy & wife had no idea how important that U-Turn may have been to help the Border Patrol.

... and nobody knew that doing the second part of the U-Turn would take less time than the Speed Bump. Anything could have happened.
post #564 of 1780 Old 04-17-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

YOU BROKE YOUR WORD! YOU BROKE YOUR WORD!

How ridiculous the way those guys went carrying on about it.

Yeah, it is like people forget they are in a GAME for a million dollars, they think they are dealing with thier best friends or something.

post #565 of 1780 Old 04-17-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 416
In this case I am with the Army Guy and his Wife. When the last place team is three hours behind the leaders it does not pay to U Turn some one. Given the likely travel options for the next round your not going to gain anything at the airport.
post #566 of 1780 Old 04-17-2012, 12:17 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This one?

When I saw it in the live ep I thought she was "catching flies", sleeping with her mouth open and Jamie was making fun of her for being passed out while the rest of them were going ga ga over the great scenery below them. I guess she could be sick though. Wasn't there another contestant besides Mark that got car sick too? Was it Nary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

I've watched my fair share of "reality tv", but Big Brother was one that I managed to avoid. Based solely upon their participation in AR, Brendon/Rachel seem decent to me. She's over-emotional and whiny at times, but all in all, she seems like she has a good heart while Brendon seems to be a pretty steady and decent guy. Apparently they didn't come off as well on Big Brother.

To tell you the truth, even with the less than steller light Rachel has been shown in on TAR, I think she's actually still being given a pretty sympathetic edit . It's surprising how much being around Rachel seems to change Brendon. On BB when she was out of the house he actually seemed like a pretty normal guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Based on the preview for the next ep it appears that Mark is actually saying he's ready to quit and go home. Probably just a red herring though.

ron
post #567 of 1780 Old 04-17-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

The bottom line - and the reason the Border Patrol guys were right to be ticked off - is that the Army guy & wife had no idea how important that U-Turn may have been to help the Border Patrol.

... and nobody knew that doing the second part of the U-Turn would take less time than the Speed Bump. Anything could have happened.

Yeah, but once they knew it would not turn out to be important (as seemed obvious by the time they hit the roadblock), to keep going on and on about it seems silly. Just let it go.

It's a silly agreement to have made in the first place, when you think about it -- the only time it really makes sense to use the u-turn is when you are far in the back of the pack (3rd or 2nd to last) to keep those teams from passing you. It almost never makes sense to use it otherwise, especially when you know the last-place team is far, far behind.

They've now made enemies of a team that has a u-turn left, if there is another one, and they don't.
post #568 of 1780 Old 04-17-2012, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

Yeah, but once they knew it would not turn out to be important (as seemed obvious by the time they hit the roadblock), to keep going on and on about it seems silly. Just let it go.

It's a silly agreement to have made in the first place, when you think about it -- the only time it really makes sense to use the u-turn is when you are far in the back of the pack (3rd or 2nd to last) to keep those teams from passing you. It almost never makes sense to use it otherwise, especially when you know the last-place team is far, far behind.

They've now made enemies of a team that has a u-turn left, if there is another one, and they don't.

You don't think a u-turn makes sense when you are 1st and the 2nd place team may be on your heels and you want to make sure you finish 1st for the prize and also starting first on the next leg?

The next leg thing may not matter because of bunching points, but some of those 1st place prizes are nice... (Just pointing out there can be other times for a u-turn). Another time is if the u-turn comes when there a whole bunch teams close to each other (and you are aware of it). That kind of situation warrants usage to not only insure you won't be last, but also can be used to help get a team you want off.

Which raises another reason to use the u-turn, regardless of where you are -- in the hopes you can get a team you want gone to actually be eliminated. For example, if there is a REALLY strong (physical and mental) team that by u-turning, you might be able to get eliminated, and, thus, eliminate a threat. That alone makes a u-turn worth it, even if you are 1st by a country mile when you reach the u-turn.
post #569 of 1780 Old 04-18-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

Brandon and Rachel u-turned Ralph and Vanessa so they don't have a u-turn left.

The Border Patrol already had a big target on their back for winning so many stages and for calling out Brandon for flipping off Ralph and expressing their dislike of team green in other ways, like the numerous times the BP has called them out for just following and not being able to work on their own. So they were already enemies, using the u-turn didn't make a difference as far as that was concerned.

And for that matter, the use of the u-turn by the Border Patrol can be analogized to a knight for knight sacrifice in chess. U-turning team green pretty much ensured that team green would be forced to u-turn another team to protect themselves from possible elimination. So the BP has now taken the u-turn threat off the table. By "sacrificing" the u-turn, the BP has forced team green to play without any tricks and the BP is probably much more comfortable with a straight-up game, without any tricks, given all the first places they've already racked up.
post #570 of 1780 Old 04-18-2012, 06:20 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

And for that matter, the use of the u-turn by the Border Patrol can be analogized to a knight for knight sacrifice in chess. U-turning team green pretty much ensured that team green would be forced to u-turn another team to protect themselves from possible elimination. So the BP has now taken the u-turn threat off the table. By "sacrificing" the u-turn, the BP has forced team green to play without any tricks and the BP is probably much more comfortable with a straight-up game, without any tricks, given all the first places they've already racked up.

The only question in that regard though Mac, given their strong dislike for Ralph and Vanessa there's probably a pretty good chance they would have U-Turned them anyway even if they hadn't been turned themselves?

ron
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page