'The Amazing Race' on CBS HD - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 1699 Old 04-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If there is a head-shaving Fast Forward, there is exactly a 0.00% chance that Vanessa or Rachel will do it. Way too vain for that.

Also, I am very disappointed that there was no bikini clad bodybuilding challenge or run through the streets in your underwear challenge! There was some fine eye-candy this season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1699 Old 04-24-2012, 01:54 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

True ... although, occasionally he says "... will be ..."

Right. Sometimes he comes right out and says "will be" and sometimes he leaves it open with the "may be".

ron
post #603 of 1699 Old 04-24-2012, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

True ... although, occasionally he says "... will be ..."

Very rarely, and possibly not at all in the past dozen seasons or so - unless they're down to the final 3 or 4 and it is already known.

... at least that I can recall.
post #604 of 1699 Old 04-24-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

If there is a head-shaving Fast Forward, there is exactly a 0.00% chance that Vanessa or Rachel will do it. Way too vain for that.

I don't think it's a zero chance .. money trumps vanity in many things ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #605 of 1699 Old 04-24-2012, 02:48 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Very rarely, and possibly not at all in the past dozen seasons or so - unless they're down to the final 3 or 4 and it is already known.

... at least that I can recall.

Now you've got me curious . My memory is far from the best, so I could easily be thinking of earlier seasons, but it sure seems like I've heard him say "will be" sporadically over the last six years...

ron
post #606 of 1699 Old 04-24-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Now you've got me curious . My memory is far from the best, so I could easily be thinking of earlier seasons, but it sure seems like I've heard him say "will be" sporadically over the last six years...

After the first couple of seasons, only very rarely, and only when it's obvious there will be an elimination. (E.g. the week before the final leg when there are 4 teams left.)
post #607 of 1699 Old 04-25-2012, 10:00 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

After the first couple of seasons, only very rarely, and only when it's obvious there will be an elimination. (E.g. the week before the final leg when there are 4 teams left.)

That's funny. I could swear I've heard Phil say it even this season but that could easily just be something I'm pulling up from the long term memory banks or something.

ron
post #608 of 1699 Old 04-25-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I think he almost certainly says "will be" following a non-elimination leg. I don't remember there ever being two consecutive non-elimination legs.
post #609 of 1699 Old 04-25-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

I'd add at least four zeros to that number. You're only at about a 1 sigma deviation with that number and I figure it as at least 6 standard deviations from the norm.
post #610 of 1699 Old 04-25-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'd really like to see her do it

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #611 of 1699 Old 04-25-2012, 02:32 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

"The Amazing Race contestant commits suicide due to depression from shaving head during show"

Close relatives report she had been in a deep funk ever since making the decision to shave her extentions to attain a "fast forward" in an attempt to win the million dollar prize

post #612 of 1699 Old 04-25-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I still think greed will trump vanity ..

post #613 of 1699 Old 04-25-2012, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

I think he almost certainly says "will be" following a non-elimination leg. I don't remember there ever being two consecutive non-elimination legs.

You just think he does. In the early seasons, he said "will be" so emphatically that it still resonates in your head because the rest of the verbiage is the same and said the same way as before.
post #614 of 1699 Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I find it very humorous to see outsiders trying to do Indian dancing. No Rhythm!

The Border Patrol Guys look like Bruce Campbell Imitators.

Marine Guy still yelling at his wife.

KY hillbillies still in the race somehow. Producers can't eliminate them yet.
post #615 of 1699 Old 04-26-2012, 11:10 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post

KY hillbillies still in the race somehow. Producers can't eliminate them yet.

Seems like in the last ep the producers were doing what they could to prop them up and keep them alive to me...

ron
post #616 of 1699 Old 04-26-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 81
One nice touch in the last ep - during the cricket scenes the background music was "Take me out to the ballgame" played on a sitar.
post #617 of 1699 Old 04-30-2012, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Technology/TV Notes
'Amazing Race's' Phil Keoghan is a gearhead
By Jefferson Graham, USA Today - Apr. 30, 2012

Photo: Jefferson Graham, USA TODAY

Phil Keoghan, host of TV's The Amazing Race, travels the world to tape his pieces for CBS' hit reality show, which has its season finale Sunday.

The New Zealand native is a gearhead who hauls his considerable tech collection with him on shoots to record, select and then transfer his work back home to Los Angeles and the producers.

We met with Keoghan at his home in Los Angeles, in his spacious living room, which was decked out with gear from one end to the other.

Why such a gearhead?

"I always had this fear that if I didn't embrace technology really cool things would pass me by. I feel technology enhances our lives."

What he totes on the road

An Apple MacBook Pro laptop, Sony PDWF800 camera, recordable Blu-ray discs, the new Sony 3-D binoculars ("not sure what I'm going to do with these, but I'm sure I'll find a cool use"), an audio recorder, noise-canceling headphones, iPad, Nikon D700 camera, 85mm 1.4 lens ("magic for portraits"), Sennheiser microphones, a sound mixer and a teleprompter (which connects to a small Sony video camera) and his iPhone.

The most important tool

A $225 Temptu airbrush makeup kit, which he uses to apply his makeup on the road. "With the advent of HD, it's kind of unfair. When I started in television 26 years ago, I was younger I had a lot less lines. The irony is, TV had a lot less lines." He travels without a makeup artist, so he pulls out the airbrush sprayer, douses his face, "and it maybe reduces 1,000 lines."

Culling his best video takes

From his hotel room, he transfers the Race video footage to the MacBook Pro and Final Cut Pro 7 video-editing software (he prefers the older version to the new, more consumer-friendly Final Cut Pro X) and selects the best takes of the day. He then ships his selections to the producers via the hotel Internet connection. For this process, "We used to take paper notes there were lots of opportunities for error." Making the visual selection himself has "allowed a more effective, precise way of working."

Other favorite: His Ford Focus

He owns a souped-up Focus, which was featured on Race showing off its parking assist and in-dash navigation. The car is decorated with blurbs for a local cycling team that he sponsors. "How could you ever get lost? Everything is voice-activated."

[CLICK LINK BELOW TO SEE VIDEO OF PHIL AND HIS GEAR]

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...ech/54631634/1
post #618 of 1699 Old 04-30-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Oh well, it was a good ride for Team Kentucky. I didn't catch the time, but they must have started way behind everyone else to not have caught up with that Fast Forward.

Now I have no clue who to root for. In the beginning I liked Dave and Rachel, but hearing them bitch at each other at every little thing has gotten annoying. Then I liked Art and JJ, but they became whining babies. I guess I'd have to go with Vanessa and Ralph simply because she's hot and they haven't annoyed me this season.
post #619 of 1699 Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Oh well, it was a good ride for Team Kentucky. I didn't catch the time, but they must have started way behind everyone else to not have caught up with that Fast Forward.

The Kentucky boys started just over 3 hours behind the team in front of them, according to the time stamps on their starts.

Kinda tough to decide who to root for now. Each team has had their fair share of undesireable behaviour. Geez, almost cheering for Big Brother now!
post #620 of 1699 Old 04-30-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Hah! I knew Rachel was way too vain to shave her head.

The FF almost saved Kentucky but they took way too long painting the guys stomach.

I was surprised that they were only 3 hours back. It looked like they spent a lot more than three hours on that Bollywood roadblock.

BTW, is there a rule that you can't go to the FF after you've started the roadblock? The reason I ask is because I was surprised that the Vanessa and Ralph didn't leave the rope making task and go do the FF after Team Green showed up.

I guess I'm on board with Vanessa and Ralph now just to see Rachel's head explode if Vanessa is standing on the podium next to Phil at the end.

Best line of the night:
Venessa: "Actually Ralph is my only boyfriend that doesn't cross dress." [Rachel's reaction was priceless.]
post #621 of 1699 Old 04-30-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Based on the preview, the 1st team to arrive seems to be sent back by Phil ..

If they do and All Stars, Team Kentucky should be part of it .. and, apparently Mark was in pretty bad shape after the dance routine ..

I so wanted to see Rachel shave her head .. .. I guess in her case, vanity trumps cash ..

post #622 of 1699 Old 04-30-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Based on the preview, the 1st team to arrive seems to be sent back by Phil ..

If they do and All Stars, Team Kentucky should be part of it .. and, apparently Mark was in pretty bad shape after the dance routine ..

I so wanted to see Rachel shave her head .. .. I guess in her case, vanity trumps cash ..

Speaking of Phil, he was trying to stir up some drama at the finish line last night egging on Vanessa about Big Brother possibly not doing the wheelbarrow task all the way through...

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #623 of 1699 Old 04-30-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

Speaking of Phil, he was trying to stir up some drama at the finish line last night egging on Vanessa about Big Brother possibly not doing the wheelbarrow task all the way through...

I think this season they have ramped up the drama factor some .. Mark near death heat stroke / Rachel the Drama Queen / etc ..

Race is getting a little long in the tooth and I'd hate to see it cancelled, so ramping it up some is what a lot of shows seem to end up doing to capture viewers ..

post #624 of 1699 Old 04-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

It was unfortunate that Kentucky was so far behind everyone else in this non-travel leg. If they were only 20 minutes behind instead of 3 hours, then Rachel's decision whether to shave her head or not would have been much more difficult, knowing that not doing it could put them behind the others. As it was, they knew they could just go back and still be way ahead of Kentucky.
post #625 of 1699 Old 04-30-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

It was unfortunate that Kentucky was so far behind everyone else in this non-travel leg. If they were only 20 minutes behind instead of 3 hours, then Rachel's decision whether to shave her head or not would have been much more difficult, knowing that not doing it could put them behind the others. As it was, they knew they could just go back and still be way ahead of Kentucky.

Difficult decision or not, I agree with the posters above that neither Rachel nor Vanessa were going to shave their heads.
No way, no how. It just wasnt going to happen.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #626 of 1699 Old 04-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Agree. You couldn't really criticize her too much for not doing it when they had a 3 hour lead and it almost surely wasn't going to cost them. With less of a lead, that would have been much more dramatic.

Also, it wasn't a given that Team Kentucky would even go to the FF. They don't know that it wasn't done yet. There's probably never been a FF that wasn't completed, so I think them going there was a real longshot. They had to decide if the slim chance the FF wasn't completed was better than the chance the someone could get held up on a task/lost/etc for 3 hours. They would have looked pretty bad if they went to the FF, found out it was done, and came back, losing a half hour in the process, only to find out they could have caught someone who got hung up at the roadblock.
post #627 of 1699 Old 04-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
If Kentucky was only 20 min behind, yes the decision by Rachel would have been harder. However, leaving the Fast Forward to go to the task, they were in 4th, with only team Kentucky behind them. They checked in at second, passing two times and having gone out of their way to the Fast Forward, so they did make up some time at the challenges.
post #628 of 1699 Old 05-06-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Great finale to a decent season.
post #629 of 1699 Old 05-07-2012, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
That final mat check-in redo was a first. The best team did win in the end. Art and JJ had it won but for a minor balancing act - and they got beat by Rachel, again. Didn't Art realize a bit of balancing using the legs would have worked? Oh, well good season.
post #630 of 1699 Old 05-07-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The generally better balance and smaller frame gave the girls an advantage on the sled challenge ..

Art and JJ each had their own challenging challenge ..

See you next time ..

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page