'The Amazing Race' on CBS HD - Page 3 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > HDTV > HDTV Programming > 'The Amazing Race' on CBS HD

HDTV Programming

Chris3mes1's Avatar Chris3mes1
05:17 AM Liked: 10
post #61 of 1795
02-23-2011 | Posts: 223
Joined: Feb 2009
Fios has Free on Demand, CBS, ABC, NBC all have their shows on there and also in HD, but for some reason Amazing Race does not show up under CBS, I wish it did. I am loving the show in HD !!
scowl's Avatar scowl
09:41 AM Liked: 23
post #62 of 1795
02-23-2011 | Posts: 10,502
Joined: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Man I hate those stupid alert crawls KOIN does. If I want to see alerts I'll watch the news or check the internet.

Well that particular case was different. A crazy man with a gun had shut down a hospital and they were informing people to go to a different hospital if they needed medical attention. People rarely check to see if a hospital is open before heading there.
R11's Avatar R11
10:35 AM Liked: 57
post #63 of 1795
02-23-2011 | Posts: 4,951
Joined: Dec 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Well that particular case was different. A crazy man with a gun had shut down a hospital and they were informing people to go to a different hospital if they needed medical attention. People rarely check to see if a hospital is open before heading there.

Ahh, since this is the TAR thread I thought you were referring to the extremely urgent "local TAR auditions" alert!! they kept popping up and scrolling during the premiere Sunday . I do remember seeing an alert for that hospital incident sometime last week as well. Of course it's a little harder to complain about a something like that that actually does have a little urgency to it without feeling a bit guilty . I admit I am a little jaded by the overkill use of alerts and screen crawls. Is it really necessary to run storm closure crawls 24/7 every time there's a 1/4" of slush somewhere in the region?


ron
SbWillie's Avatar SbWillie
12:00 PM Liked: 16
post #64 of 1795
02-23-2011 | Posts: 3,543
Joined: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Wish my PQ was as good as all of yours. Iwatched the show on both a new Panasonic plasma and my old standby Sony LCD and on both sets the closeups of the cast looked pretty murky and pasty. Long shots looked much better. Watching on Comcast on KPiX in SF Bay Area.

My 42" panny Plasma looked great! This show definately is up there with Survivor for best overall pic quality on tv! Most of this year's returns are not any I cared about to begin with so we are just along for the ride.
dad1153's Avatar dad1153
12:21 PM Liked: 199
post #65 of 1795
02-23-2011 | Posts: 36,670
Joined: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Loved the show in HD, but for some reason, Survivor's PQ at times seems sharper than anything I saw last night.

"Survivor" takes place on a single, production-sanctioned location that can be lit and/or staged on the production team's timeline. "TAR" is a run-and-shoot-on-the-fly show with contestants running through locations (airports, streets, cabs, etc.) that the producers have no control over. I'll give "TAR" some leeway if it doesn't look as pretty as "Survivor" given the totally different shooting environments both shows have (with "TAR" getting the rougher of the two shooting environments).
Kib's Avatar Kib
02:26 PM Liked: 12
post #66 of 1795
02-23-2011 | Posts: 1,046
Joined: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

"Survivor" takes place on a single, production-sanctioned location that can be lit and/or staged on the production team's timeline. "TAR" is a run-and-shoot-on-the-fly show with contestants running through locations (airports, streets, cabs, etc.) that the producers have no control over. I'll give "TAR" some leeway if it doesn't look as pretty as "Survivor" given the totally different shooting environments both shows have (with "TAR" getting the rougher of the two shooting environments).

+1. Accurate and succinct post.
Marcus Carr's Avatar Marcus Carr
04:51 PM Liked: 31
post #67 of 1795
02-23-2011 | Posts: 8,091
Joined: Sep 2004
CBS Gives 'The Amazing Race' Premiere an Encore This Saturday

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...saturday/83546
scowl's Avatar scowl
05:37 PM Liked: 23
post #68 of 1795
02-23-2011 | Posts: 10,502
Joined: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

"Survivor" takes place on a single, production-sanctioned location that can be lit and/or staged on the production team's timeline. "TAR" is a run-and-shoot-on-the-fly show with contestants running through locations (airports, streets, cabs, etc.) that the producers have no control over.

Yes, lots of the conditions I saw were worst case for digital cameras: direct sun, people in shade, and going in and out of doors while chasing people.

The Survivor crew spends weeks scouting the area they'll be shooting in (that's when they get footage of the snakes and bugs) so they know all the conditions they'll be faced with. And they have admitted they occasionally restage things.
R11's Avatar R11
07:03 PM Liked: 57
post #69 of 1795
02-23-2011 | Posts: 4,951
Joined: Dec 2001
No doubt that the shooting conditions are much more difficult. But from what I saw even the static location type shots were pretty soft. Still, as I recall the first HD season of survivor didn't look so hot either but now looks much better, so perhaps the PQ on TAR may improve with the learning curve of their crew. Although thinking back on it now...... do I remember Survivor switching cameras after the first HD season possibly?


ron
pappy97's Avatar pappy97
09:49 PM Liked: 15
post #70 of 1795
02-23-2011 | Posts: 3,160
Joined: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

"Survivor" takes place on a single, production-sanctioned location that can be lit and/or staged on the production team's timeline. "TAR" is a run-and-shoot-on-the-fly show with contestants running through locations (airports, streets, cabs, etc.) that the producers have no control over. I'll give "TAR" some leeway if it doesn't look as pretty as "Survivor" given the totally different shooting environments both shows have (with "TAR" getting the rougher of the two shooting environments).

Just observing that it was soft, not complaining too much. It's not like we are talking about intentional softening, like watching "The View" or something.

Since the show is now HD, I'm assuming the same camera crew will be following the teams all over the world, instead of years past relying on local crews (if you recall, the excuse for not going HD in the past). I'm guessing there may be other benefits than HD with that, but I don't know enough about TV camera work to speculate. Are there any other advantages besides HD to having the same camera crew follow the teams around the world?
R11's Avatar R11
12:57 PM Liked: 57
post #71 of 1795
02-27-2011 | Posts: 4,951
Joined: Dec 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Just observing that it was soft, not complaining too much. It's not like we are talking about intentional softening, like watching "The View" or something.

Yeah, I wasn't intending to imply that it was terrible or anything either. Overall it looked pretty decent really.

It's funny you mention the intentional softening. A year or so ago I was watching The Today Show and they had a segment where all of the hosts were sitting on their couch discussing something and then they switched to an individual closeup of Meridith Vieira and someone forgot to engage the filter or resolution reduction or whatever it is that they routinely employ on her tight shots. A few seconds into the shot all the wrinkles on her face suddenly just dissolved into a soft-focus blur as the operator realized who they had on camera and "fixed" the issue . It was kinda funny to see their catch and watch them disappear instantaneously so I had to hit record and capture it off the DVR buffer. When I showed it to some friends later they were all surprised that that kind of thing goes on.

Anyway, back to the show. Can the Cowboys recover? Who goes home tonight?


ron
dad1153's Avatar dad1153
01:19 PM Liked: 199
post #72 of 1795
02-27-2011 | Posts: 36,670
Joined: Apr 2006
^^^ Well, the promos are almost guaranteeing that Mel and Mike are out, so the obvious conclusion is that somehow they'll pull through. The only logical way (besides figuring out the puzzle) the Cowboys escape from their jam is if another team takes pity on them. And there's still another team (Gary and Marllory?) with an extra task they need to do because they came last with the 'QANTAS' clue last week. So it's a safe bet it's either of these three, although with "TAR" you never know (them editors are pretty sneaky and misleading! ).
scowl's Avatar scowl
09:47 PM Liked: 23
post #73 of 1795
02-27-2011 | Posts: 10,502
Joined: Nov 2003
There's an element named "Bismuth"?

Wasn't Travelocity bought out by Expedia several years ago?
pappy97's Avatar pappy97
09:56 PM Liked: 15
post #74 of 1795
02-27-2011 | Posts: 3,160
Joined: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

There's an element named "Bismuth"?

Wasn't Travelocity bought out by Expedia several years ago
?

No, never. Travelocity was an offshoot of SABRE, the AA e-reservation system customers could use on Compuserve, and then Travelocity because the first way to buy tickets online on the internet.

Maybe you remember how Expedia arrived on the scene and spanked travelocity?

Travelocity is still around but I don't know anybody who uses it these days.
pappy97's Avatar pappy97
10:02 PM Liked: 15
post #75 of 1795
02-27-2011 | Posts: 3,160
Joined: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

^^^ Well, the promos are almost guaranteeing that Mel and Mike are out, so the obvious conclusion is that somehow they'll pull through. The only logical way (besides figuring out the puzzle) the Cowboys escape from their jam is if another team takes pity on them. And there's still another team (Gary and Marllory?) with an extra task they need to do because they came last with the 'QANTAS' clue last week. So it's a safe bet it's either of these three, although with "TAR" you never know (them editors are pretty sneaky and misleading! ).

I know this is hindsight, but had I seen this earlier I would have pointed out what would have saved the Cowboys and many times saves teams in these kinds of messes: the bunching point.

Notice that the Cowboys were WAY far behind but by making the next step involve those flights the next morning, the Cowboys were given plenty of time to catch up. These events are called "bunching points" as they allow teams to catch up. Considering TAR is meticulously planned, you have to think every bunching point is planned, even if it appears as if it is not (in the case of a location being closed and only open the next morning or whatever). There have been some seasons where there were a ridiculous amount of bunching points, but recently it hasn't been too bad. The criticism, of course, is that it allows teams to catch up and punishes teams that are doing well up to the bunching point. The show of course does it because it makes the eps more dramatic since you won't know automatically who is going home...but I personally hate to see teams leads evaporate because TAR decides to throw in a bunching point.
biker19's Avatar biker19
08:24 AM Liked: 11
post #76 of 1795
02-28-2011 | Posts: 3,696
Joined: Jan 2006
Kangaroo costumes with bouncy footwear - really?
SbWillie's Avatar SbWillie
08:32 AM Liked: 16
post #77 of 1795
02-28-2011 | Posts: 3,543
Joined: Mar 2006
THe `bunching points' were started after the season 3(?) debacle with the top 3 teams nowhere close to each other (a day apart). The BPs make it more entertaining while at the same time everyone gets to roll their eyes over it.
IceAgeTom's Avatar IceAgeTom
09:24 AM Liked: 13
post #78 of 1795
02-28-2011 | Posts: 216
Joined: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

There's an element named "Bismuth"?

Yup, #83, immediately to the right of lead (82) in the periodic table. 57% of the active ingredient by weight of Pepto-Bismol is bismuth. I knew what those elements were (mercury was too easy) as soon as I saw them, was very pleased that Kent knew them too.

The Cowboys got saved by the bunching point, but no one expected them to be so far behind at that point.
scowl's Avatar scowl
10:22 AM Liked: 23
post #79 of 1795
02-28-2011 | Posts: 10,502
Joined: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

No, never. Travelocity was an offshoot of SABRE, the AA e-reservation system customers could use on Compuserve, and then Travelocity because the first way to buy tickets online on the internet.

Maybe you remember how Expedia arrived on the scene and spanked travelocity?

Oh, I'm thinking of Travelscape. I logged in one day and it welcomed me as a new Expedia customer, wiping out all my travel history and preferences. This was over ten years ago. I used Travelscape for years and Expedia was a pain and slow. Maybe this is a good time to switch, especially since hotels don't seem too happy whenever they see I've booked through Expedia. They also made me a member of "Expedia Elite Plus" which has gotten me absolutely nothing except a little card.

I'm not really getting into TAR. I can't keep track of who is who (uh, the black guys, the Chinese father and daughter, the NFL cheerleaders, the cowboys, someone named Mallory, etc.). I don't know anything about the couples so I don't care who's ahead.

And the soundtrack is way over the top and never changes no matter what's on the screen. The people were hopping around in kangaroo suits but the relentless soundtrack always sounds like they're invading the Normandy coast. "BUM! BUM! BUDUM! BAH BAH! CRASH CRASH CRASH! THUMP! BRRRUMP! BAM! etc. etc. etc." It's just exhausting to listen to.
Mac The Knife's Avatar Mac The Knife
12:17 PM Liked: 24
post #80 of 1795
02-28-2011 | Posts: 4,903
Joined: Oct 2003
After last season where the winning move was being able to google Sancho Panza on a cabbie's cell phone and after last night's major move being able to google the location of the anchor with the inscription, I'd really like to see one season where all the teams are issued either a smart phone or an iPad and have a season that is highly dependent on googling clues and getting travel reservations online (maybe even throw in a stage where they have to do some war-driving to find a wifi hotspot) .

I wouldn't want to see this every season, but I think it would make a good change of pace for a one-off season.
R11's Avatar R11
12:45 PM Liked: 57
post #81 of 1795
02-28-2011 | Posts: 4,951
Joined: Dec 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

Kangaroo costumes with bouncy footwear - really?

Come on man, where's your sense of humor and fun? . I think doing weird and off the wall stuff occasionally is part of the draw of the show. How often does a person get the chance to bounce around streets in Australia wearing a Kangaroo costume? And the reactions of the local people to the things the contestants are doing is often some of the best stuff. I thought the kangaroo costumes were great myself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I'm not really getting into TAR. I can't keep track of who is who (uh, the black guys, the Chinese father and daughter, the NFL cheerleaders, the cowboys, someone named Mallory, etc.). I don't know anything about the couples so I don't care who's ahead.

And the soundtrack is way over the top and never changes no matter what's on the screen. The people were hopping around in kangaroo suits but the relentless soundtrack always sounds like they're invading the Normandy coast. "BUM! BUM! BUDUM! BAH BAH! CRASH CRASH CRASH! THUMP! BRRRUMP! BAM! etc. etc. etc." It's just exhausting to listen to.

To me TAR is much like Survivor in that the earlier EPs tend to be a little scattered and less engaging while the field gets whittled down and contestants get to know each other, and you get to know the contestants. As some teams get eliminated and the contestants get to know each other (and develop friends/enemies), and you get familiar with the remaining teams, it gets more compelling and fun.

The soundtrack definitely is over the top, but I think that's just part of the over all approach. Just like the costume segments, even though there's a very real and significant prize at the end, I think they try to keep the tone lighter and not so serious. It's big, loud, a little in your face and sometimes a bit wacky. Again like Survivor, I think trying to view it too much as a straight forward competition misses the mark and can make for some frustrated viewing. Watching it to see the interactions between the contestants under stress, and with the local people, and for the interest of the various destinations and their customs, people and scenery are really what it's about IMO.

ron
scowl's Avatar scowl
01:23 PM Liked: 23
post #82 of 1795
02-28-2011 | Posts: 10,502
Joined: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

The soundtrack definitely is over the top, but I think that's just part of the over all approach. Just like the costume segments, even though there's a very real and significant prize at the end, I think they try to keep the tone lighter and not so serious.

That's why I think the soundtrack has been completely wrong almost all of the time in the two episodes I've seen. The contestants are in kangaroo suits bouncing down the street which should be funny, yet the "dramatic" and completely distracting soundtrack is still playing like it's on a endless loop that can't be turned off. At least they added a "boing" sound.

Compare that to the "patriotic" music Survivor put behind Special Federal Agent Phillip's heartwarming speech about how he loves his country almost as much as he loves himself. Now that showed that the producers cared about the soundtrack.
Shedrock's Avatar Shedrock
01:56 PM Liked: 21
post #83 of 1795
02-28-2011 | Posts: 976
Joined: Feb 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

Kangaroo costumes with bouncy footwear

Those boots are actually a very interesting concept for exercising. They absorb up to 80% of the impact, enabling a better muscle workout with less injury. Even the contestants that are pretty far out of physical shape were able to run a fair distance with them on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbsTB...layer_embedded
R11's Avatar R11
02:29 PM Liked: 57
post #84 of 1795
02-28-2011 | Posts: 4,951
Joined: Dec 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

That's why I think the soundtrack has been completely wrong almost all of the time in the two episodes I've seen. The contestants are in kangaroo suits bouncing down the street which should be funny, yet the "dramatic" and completely distracting soundtrack is still playing like it's on a endless loop that can't be turned off. At least they added a "boing" sound.

Compare that to the "patriotic" music Survivor put behind Special Federal Agent Phillip's heartwarming speech about how he loves his country almost as much as he loves himself. Now that showed that the producers cared about the soundtrack.

That's what I meant about not watching it so seriously. They go over the top to pump up the drama of the, "this is a race and every second counts" aspect, even at times when it's obviously not there. The editing to make the finishes faux dramatic when there's one team way behind, the "bunching" points people were talking about, the overly dramatic music. If you're analytic and you focus on that kind of stuff it will only drive you nuts . A lot of those things bugged me at first until I figured it was best to just enjoy it for the other aspects. The funny thing is, I never really even thought much about the score until you complained about it . There wasn't anything about it that even really registered with me except the little piece after the show's over and they're rolling the credits. I always kinda liked that semi-hypnotic, measured little "dun, dun, dun dun, dun, dun bit. Maybe it's because after an hour of loud, hyperactive music it's soothing and mellow


ron
hooked01's Avatar hooked01
09:18 PM Liked: 135
post #85 of 1795
02-28-2011 | Posts: 1,310
Joined: Mar 2007
I thought for sure the Chinese Father/Daughter team was done for sure. Dad did not learn his lesson the first time around. He's still treating his kid like crap. This was only the first leg and he's blaming it on lack of sleep.
WilliamR's Avatar WilliamR
06:39 AM Liked: 256
post #86 of 1795
03-01-2011 | Posts: 8,174
Joined: May 2006
Airports are the great equalizer. The Cowboys were so far behind they were toast. They are so lucky that they had to go to the airport and wait for a flight.
dougotte's Avatar dougotte
07:16 AM Liked: 32
post #87 of 1795
03-01-2011 | Posts: 2,309
Joined: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

I thought for sure the Chinese Father/Daughter team was done for sure. Dad did not learn his lesson the first time around. He's still treating his kid like crap. This was only the first leg and he's blaming it on lack of sleep.

Speaking as an old fogey, two of the seniors did not represent us in a positive light this week. The Chinese Dad was an insufferable fool, and the actor's Dad had some kind of leg cramps or something. The only drama-free seniors this week were the Texan Dad and the Deaf guy's Mom.

I apologize for not paying attention to the contestants' names.

Doug
spid's Avatar spid
09:00 AM Liked: 419
post #88 of 1795
03-01-2011 | Posts: 3,396
Joined: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Airports are the great equalizer. The Cowboys were so far behind they were toast. They are so lucky that they had to go to the airport and wait for a flight.

This is true, but that is some of the fun of the show. Some one asked why would one team help another this is the reason. When you have a strong team like The Cowboys on the ropes you should probably try to keep them there. They went from last by hours to 3rd place.
spid's Avatar spid
09:03 AM Liked: 419
post #89 of 1795
03-01-2011 | Posts: 3,396
Joined: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

After last season where the winning move was being able to google Sancho Panza on a cabbie's cell phone and after last night's major move being able to google the location of the anchor with the inscription, I'd really like to see one season where all the teams are issued either a smart phone or an iPad and have a season that is highly dependent on googling clues and getting travel reservations online (maybe even throw in a stage where they have to do some war-driving to find a wifi hotspot) .

I wouldn't want to see this every season, but I think it would make a good change of pace for a one-off season.

That kind of change would probably favor the stronger physical teams. One of the great equalizers of detours is that the contestants still have to get from one place to another.
ak3883's Avatar ak3883
10:22 AM Liked: 10
post #90 of 1795
03-01-2011 | Posts: 1,828
Joined: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

This is true, but that is some of the fun of the show. Some one asked why would one team help another this is the reason. When you have a strong team like The Cowboys on the ropes you should probably try to keep them there. They went from last by hours to 3rd place.

They can't really do much once the race begins, to keep the Cowboys "in" the race. Everything is set up/planned before the race begins.

Reply HDTV Programming

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3