post #991 of 1771 Old 03-06-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post

OK, this is meant to be a joke, and is not directed at anyone in particular, either real, fictional, or imaginary. It is not intended to be offensive to any fish mammal, or amphibian that may be present, or might read or hear of this "joke" in any possible future:

"I thought the "pond idiot" was on the shore."

Thank you for taking the time to read the preceding attempt at humor. If for any reason, you were offended by said "joke", please bite me.

Edit: PS. The "bite me" comment above was, as well, an attempt at levity. No offense was intended by the "bite me".
smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif , especially the "edit."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1771 Old 03-06-2013, 10:24 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post

OK, this is meant to be a joke, and is not directed at anyone in particular, either real, fictional, or imaginary. It is not intended to be offensive to any fish mammal, or amphibian that may be present, or might read or hear of this "joke" in any possible future:

"I thought the "pond idiot" was on the shore."

Thank you for taking the time to read the preceding attempt at humor. If for any reason, you were offended by said "joke", please bite me.

Edit: PS. The "bite me" comment above was, as well, an attempt at levity. No offense was intended by the "bite me".

I am "outraged" by your flip flopping on this highly contentious issue... but at least it's a step in the right direction tongue.gif

ron

post #993 of 1771 Old 03-06-2013, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I thought the "gimp" comments were funny. I really didn't even think much about them until people made a big deal out of it. Good times!
post #994 of 1771 Old 03-06-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I have called friends gimpy when they had an injury or a cast on etc etc, none of them ever told me it was offensive.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #995 of 1771 Old 03-11-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Gimpy is doing just fine.

Being eliminated with an Express Pass in your pocket is even worse than being booted from Survivor with an immunity idol.eek.gif
post #996 of 1771 Old 03-11-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I can't believe how little the guy cared, too. Seemed very strange. It's also amazing to see what racing for 4 days straight does to people.
post #997 of 1771 Old 03-11-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post

I can't believe how little the guy cared, too. Seemed very strange. It's also amazing to see what racing for 4 days straight does to people.

I felt the same way .. he was really acting weird .. and that big goofy grin .. his girlfriend was pissed though ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #998 of 1771 Old 03-11-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I felt the same way .. he was really acting weird .. and that big goofy grin .. his girlfriend was pissed though ..
I've watched both shows since the beginning, but The Amazing Race and Survivor sure have their share of (for lack of a better word) "idiots" every season. In the immortal words of Pete Seeger and reiterated by The Kingston Trio and Peter, Paul, and Mary, "When will they ever learn, when will they ever learn?"
post #999 of 1771 Old 03-11-2013, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I've no proof, but I strongly suspect an ulterior motive to him effectively quitting. My suspicion is either he got reeeeeeeeeally sick of his girlfriend, or some other, serious issue jumped up in front of them.
post #1000 of 1771 Old 03-11-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 680
^^^ yeah, there was a motive .. plain stupidity ... could not find his way to the pitstop .. could not pick the right surf board .. inability to recognize it was time early on to use the Express Pass .. .. would not listen to his girlfriend .. thought he knew it all .. eek.gif

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1001 of 1771 Old 03-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
It is too bad. I wasn't sick of his girlfriend yet! wink.gif
post #1002 of 1771 Old 03-11-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

It is too bad. I wasn't sick of his girlfriend yet! wink.gif

Yeah, she looked really good in that wet t-shirt...

And I was amazed at how Jessica didn't come completely unglued. Just imagine what it would have been like if that had been Kate instead of Jessica. Kate constantly berated her husband just because he had a little trouble on the race car course. It would have gotten really nasty if he kept ignoring her advice to use a pass.

On other topics:

I thought the cabbies were going to claim another victim this week with the Youtubers ending up on the wrong beach and the Hockey Players not being able to find the Monkey Shrine. But John's mule-headedness prevailed. BTW, how big is Bali that the cabbies can manage to get big time tourist locations wrong? It seems impossible to me that the cabbies don't know every square inch of Bali.

And I'm not usually too jealous of the racers since they tend to spend a lot of time in slums in places like India and Moscow and Cameroon, but so far this season with Bora Bora, New Zealand and Bali, WOW, do I ever wish I was on this season.
post #1003 of 1771 Old 03-11-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Wow, this has rank up there in terms of bad decisions on the race. At some point you would think they would call it quits and use the express pass.
post #1004 of 1771 Old 03-11-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Phils reaction when the guy was explaining his decision was classic. On another note, whats the deal with people being told the planes are full, yet when they show them sitting in them there are empty seats every where?

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #1005 of 1771 Old 03-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Noticed that as well. That first plane had no one on it. Maybe they limit how many contestants could be on that plane? They should tell us that then.
post #1006 of 1771 Old 03-11-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

The producers probably purchase sets of tickets for certain flights
post #1007 of 1771 Old 03-12-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Best parts were when they went to a strangers house and was trying to build something from the stuff he had outside and they were adding pieces of candy to be "artistic", to funny.

Plus the very end when Phil looked at the camera, priceless.

post #1008 of 1771 Old 03-12-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post

Phils reaction when the guy was explaining his decision was classic. On another note, whats the deal with people being told the planes are full, yet when they show them sitting in them there are empty seats every where?

They are probably sitting around at the gate for hours. Most people do not arrive until a couple of hours before a flight so they may shoot some filler stuff in the meantime. My guess is the cameramen/Producers are packed up and ready to board the plane when a lot of people show up. You will notice they hardly ever shoot people boarding the plane only when they are in their seats.
post #1009 of 1771 Old 03-12-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Best parts were when they went to a strangers house and was trying to build something from the stuff he had outside and they were adding pieces of candy to be "artistic", to funny.

Yeah, I love it when they barge into somebody's house that doesn't speak English and they start doing things while the bufuddled homeowner stares at them, like the time a few seasons back where they barged into a house and started painting the wall. biggrin.gif
post #1010 of 1771 Old 03-13-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post

On another note, whats the deal with people being told the planes are full, yet when they show them sitting in them there are empty seats every where?

I am pretty sure the racers (when they aren't standby or running for a last minute plane) get pre-boarded, so the camera guys can shoot their footage and put their stuff away. It avoids having to get waivers from anyone who might be sitting nearby.

It's also worth keeping in mind that although they (re)shoot the racers saying they need 2 tickets at all the counters and travel agencies, in fact they need 4 for every flight, because their camera crew has to fly with them. If there aren't 4 tickets per team, they can't buy them. A lot of the planes they fly for shorter hops are probably less than 150 seats, too.
post #1011 of 1771 Old 03-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I read an interview with the latest losers from this week's show, and they said that the producers had put an extra Clue in the box at the last surfboard challenge, so they thought that they were still safe. By the time Jessica found out that they were one of only two teams left, she was too far away from John to let him know.
post #1012 of 1771 Old 03-14-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

I read an interview with the latest losers from this week's show, and they said that the producers had put an extra Clue in the box at the last surfboard challenge, so they thought that they were still safe. By the time Jessica found out that they were one of only two teams left, she was too far away from John to let him know.

The thing is that the two went right past the girls at one point. Jessica didn't even try to get his attention.

Reminds me of Season 5. Chip standing on the Yield mat, messing around, pretending to yield the twins then laughing about it. Then open clue box "one left!". Oops. I'll bet all clueboxes have extra clues now.
post #1013 of 1771 Old 03-14-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

Then they are bigger idiots. For the last couple years the show has stacked the boxes with extra clues and is clearly visible if you look when the last team takes a clue. The only thing they haven't done is put extra vehicles out for people to select from.

post #1014 of 1771 Old 03-14-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Then they are bigger idiots. For the last couple years the show has stacked the boxes with extra clues and is clearly visible if you look when the last team takes a clue. The only thing they haven't done is put extra vehicles out for people to select from.

Ooooh! I like that idea! That could lead to some hilarious mistakes.
post #1015 of 1771 Old 03-15-2013, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Plus the very end when Phil looked at the camera, priceless.

Oy vey !!!!

-- David
post #1016 of 1771 Old 03-18-2013, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Why bother flying all the way to Hanoi to quit? rolleyes.gif
post #1017 of 1771 Old 03-18-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

Why not when CBS is footing the bill? They had the chance to see a part of the world (and a part of history) that they otherwise wouldn't get to see. I'd jump at the chance and thought it was pretty darned smart of them, especially given that they were in first place at the time. They went out of the game on their terms.
post #1018 of 1771 Old 03-18-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 56
That one roller derby mom (Mona I think) reminds me of that woman a few seasons back that got blasted in the face with the watermelon. Every time I see her I keep thinking it's the same woman.
post #1019 of 1771 Old 03-18-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Why not when CBS is footing the bill? They had the chance to see a part of the world (and a part of history) that they otherwise wouldn't get to see. I'd jump at the chance and thought it was pretty darned smart of them, especially given that they were in first place at the time. They went out of the game on their terms.

Good point. Plus the other teams didn't know they quit so they were forced to race hard as usual.

I'm definitely enjoying this season so far!
post #1020 of 1771 Old 03-18-2013, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

Better doctors? Maybe he was going to get the operation on Hanoi?
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page