post #91 of 1699 Old 03-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

They can't really do much once the race begins, to keep the Cowboys "in" the race. Everything is set up/planned before the race begins.

Things can and do in fact change after the race begins. In fact, things can totally flip around during a single commercial break . . .

"Controversy surrounded the final leg of the race: when Rob & Amber and Uchenna & Joyce arrived at the airport in San Juan, they were both sold tickets for a flight leaving later than one whose gate was about to close. While Rob & Amber managed to get on this earlier departing flight, Uchenna & Joyce were shown through the gate as the boarding corridor between the gate exitway and airplane began to shut. After a commercial break, the boarding corridor reopened to the gate to pick up Uchenna and Joyce. No explanation was given as to why the gate reopened, which has led to widespread speculation about intervention by the production staff.[1][2] In the "Revisiting the Race" special feature on the Season 7 DVD, Uchenna, Rob, and Host Phil Keoghan deny the accusations of intervention by the production crew. Uchenna describes his experience with finding the same airline agent at the gate who had previously informed him that there was no earlier available flight. Rob describes Uchenna running around frantically trying to get onto the flight, which the final edited version of the show does not portray. Phil cites the fact that the decision to reopen the door rested solely with the pilot, and that intervention by the production crew would have resulted in someone leaking such information out."

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1699 Old 03-01-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 554
On the soundtrack .. one season, for some odd reason, the vocal soundtrack on our CATV provider's end muted, yet the music part was still on .. so, no voices, all music (if that's what you want to call it) .. during maybe 3 episodes .. it was maddening ..

As fans, my wife and I still watched the show .. the funny thing was, the music seemed to make us tense somehow ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #93 of 1699 Old 03-01-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

They can't really do much once the race begins, to keep the Cowboys "in" the race. Everything is set up/planned before the race begins.

The individual teams do not know that. There are some legs that take place over a short amount of time while others can go for days.
post #94 of 1699 Old 03-01-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

That kind of change would probably favor the stronger physical teams. One of the great equalizers of detours is that the contestants still have to get from one place to another.

In general, yes, it would be a radical change to the game, which is why I said it I would like to only see it as a one-off season rather than a permanent change.

But I don't see how it would necessarily favor physical teams. In fact, I can think of scenarios where it works against physical teams. For example, in the current form of the game, the physical teams often get the first shot at boarding passes because they win the foot race from the rental car drop off to the ticket counter. But, if everyone is making reservations over on an iPhone then what matters is how fast you are at finding info on the phone not how fast you can run through the airport.

Anyway, the main reason I wouldn't want to see it every season is because it could greatly reduce the amount of "culture shock" that the teams experience because the iPhone be would be so useful in getting around the language barriers.
post #95 of 1699 Old 03-02-2011, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I myself would not be interested in seeing more tech available to the teams .. keep it on an even playing field ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #96 of 1699 Old 03-02-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I don't support giving the teams gadgets. Unless...the teams are given GPS Units and solving the challenges results in a set of coordinates that they use the GPS' to find the next clue box or the rest stop. Can you tell that I just got introduced to GeoCaching? Wouldn't that be cool?
post #97 of 1699 Old 03-02-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I myself would not be interested in seeing more tech available to the teams .. keep it on an even playing field ..

Same here, call me traditional but I like that when teams want to use the internet, they have to find a internet cafe or something...and when they have to go somewhere, they have to get a map or ask for directions without a translator.
post #98 of 1699 Old 03-03-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Same here, call me traditional but I like that when teams want to use the internet, they have to find a internet cafe or something...and when they have to go somewhere, they have to get a map or ask for directions without a translator.

I agree .. when I made my post, I was really thinking about some of the older teams that might not be as good at using more tech .. which would give the folks that are good at it an unfair advantage IMO ..

I fit into that older group and since I don't live on a cell phone / iphone, would probably be at a disadvantage from the get go until I at least figured it out ..

post #99 of 1699 Old 03-03-2011, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

I think this show should give you that "What would you do at this point?" feeling.

So in my case, they should give them ancient cell phones that take ten minutes to display a map of where they are.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #100 of 1699 Old 03-07-2011, 09:17 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Pappy....? Pappy......? Are you there? Thought for sure you'd have posted something by now about those dastardly Globetrotters and their thieving ways .

ron
post #101 of 1699 Old 03-07-2011, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Pappy....? Pappy......? Are you there? Thought for sure you'd have posted something by now about those dastardly Globetrotters and their thieving ways .

Crime. Punished. No need to elaborate.
post #102 of 1699 Old 03-07-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

ron

Now if it had been "Survivor" .. it would have been rewarded ..

post #103 of 1699 Old 03-07-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So the 30 min penalty cost them 2 spots?
post #104 of 1699 Old 03-07-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

So the 30 min penalty cost them 2 spots?

That's what it looked like to me ..

post #105 of 1699 Old 03-07-2011, 10:03 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Yeah, it looked to be an honest mistake as they put it right next to Ron's stuff in the locker room so they weren't trying to purposely hinder them. I couldn't quite catch what it was they said as they were getting into the car though... Ideally they would have put it back right where they picked it up, so it did cause a bit of time loss and consternation and did warrant the penalty.

ron
post #106 of 1699 Old 03-07-2011, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Now if it had been "Survivor" .. it would have been rewarded ..

Wait, you can't cheat on this show? There goes half of the fun.

Can you give other teams wrong information and get away with it?

post #107 of 1699 Old 03-07-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Wait, you can't cheat on this show? There goes half of the fun.

Can you give other teams wrong information and get away with it?

Boston Rob (from Survivor) made giving out false information into an art form when he was on TAR. He also made an extremely good decision to immediately take a penalty instead of attempting a food eating task which all the other teams spent a couple of hours to complete.

But, I think TAR must have changed the rules after that instance since I've never seen that type of intentional penalty taking ever again. So maybe they changed other rules too.
post #108 of 1699 Old 03-07-2011, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Boston Rob (from Survivor) made giving out false information into an art form when he was on TAR.

I hope some stuff like that happens. So far all I've seen are teams helping each other and are happy to see each other. What the hell is the matter with these people being all sportsmanlike and whatnot?

I plan to do all my summer traveling with Travelocity instead of Expedia this year so TAR can tell them they got one new customer after going HD.

post #109 of 1699 Old 03-07-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry, Travelocity. Let me know when you have your web site finished. Not only does it look like it was designed in 1998 (it looked like their stylesheet was missing), but just booking a flight from Portland to Seattle failed with:

???global.message.title_INVALID_PASSENGERS???

and most confusingly:

We have found more than one airport match for "PORTLAND - PDX".

There is only one PDX in the country, Travelocity.

I hope the TAR contestants have more luck booking flights than I did!

post #110 of 1699 Old 03-07-2011, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 161
This leg of the race was the first acid test for the new high-definition tech behind "TAR," and the show passed. The last few racers that were in that mud pit, driving and/or at the Pit Stop were photographed in almost total darkness (barely lit by either camera-mounted lights, fire or car headlights aimed at the mud pit) under wet conditions that are notoriusly hard on field audio. And yet the images remained crytal-clear and pretty good. Only the last two or three pairs that got on the Pit Stop with Phil sounded like a huge rain pile was being dumped on them. The earlier portions of the leg (under sunny and rain-free weather) were fine, but earlier concerns that rough field conditions would mar "TAR's" high-def season have been eased.
post #111 of 1699 Old 03-07-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

This leg of the race was the first acid test for the new high-definition tech behind "TAR," and the show passed. The last few racers that were in that mud pit, driving and/or at the Pit Stop were photographed in almost total darkness (barely lit by either camera-mounted lights, fire or car headlights aimed at the mud pit) under wet conditions that are notoriusly hard on field audio. And yet the images remained crytal-clear and pretty good.

HD cameras these days are insanely sensitive. If you want to see an example of HD in available light watch Police Women of Cincinnati. The night time streets practically look like daylight under the street lights and there's hardly any visible noise.

post #112 of 1699 Old 03-07-2011, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Exactly. Besides I don't think I'll have much to add on the Trotters until they get eliminated. When that bag switch first happened, I had hoped to God that they would show up at the pit stop without their passports and be royally screwed. Guess that will have to wait...
post #113 of 1699 Old 03-07-2011, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 96
The actor son gave up and convinced his father to do the same. Mel was still going. If Mike was that concerned about Mel's health, he would have told Mel to get out of the cold and get warm while he continued to look. But Mike got out first. He was physically and mentally defeated. Don't blame it on Dad.
post #114 of 1699 Old 03-08-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

It is always amazing what group think does to this show. Two shows in a row most of the contestants took the harder challenge because every one else was doing it. The other thing which sometimes gets lost on episodes like this one is just how long they doing this one leg. They all got in around 6-7 am, and were running the race until at lest 5 or 6 pm. That must be one heck of a mental grind.
post #115 of 1699 Old 03-08-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post
Boston Rob (from Survivor) made giving out false information into an art form when he was on TAR. He also made an extremely good decision to immediately take a penalty instead of attempting a food eating task which all the other teams spent a couple of hours to complete.

But, I think TAR must have changed the rules after that instance since I've never seen that type of intentional penalty taking ever again. So maybe they changed other rules too.
I think it is now a 6 hour penalty to skip or quit a task. And sometimes they will not even let you check in until you do a task properly.
post #116 of 1699 Old 03-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This leg of the race was the first acid test for the new high-definition tech behind "TAR," and the show passed.

Yeah, I thought the PQ was pretty good, moreover some of the countryside locations were just spectacular. In my mind that's the real reason I was looking forward to seeing this produced in HD.

I wish they would make a return visit to India for the Holi Festival, the most colorful thing you'll see on TeeVee since NBC's "Laramie" Peacock.
post #117 of 1699 Old 03-08-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

It is always amazing what group think does to this show. Two shows in a row most of the contestants took the harder challenge because every one else was doing it. The other thing which sometimes gets lost on episodes like this one is just how long they doing this one leg. They all got in around 6-7 am, and were running the race until at lest 5 or 6 pm. That must be one heck of a mental grind.

I would like to know how much detail the instructions give the contestants before they make the choice of which to do. If they were told that Lucky Frog was finding a frog in the mud, some of the teams may have elected to get purified. Plus, if you are one of the last teams in a challenge like that, you should always take the other, since most of the frogs would have been found already.
post #118 of 1699 Old 03-08-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

Plus, if you are one of the last teams in a challenge like that, you should always take the other, since most of the frogs would have been found already.

Do we know for sure that the producers don't put back some of these things during the contest? In this particular one it would have been real easy to "re-install" some of the frogs.
post #119 of 1699 Old 03-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

Do we know for sure that the producers don't put back some of these things during the contest? In this particular one it would have been real easy to "re-install" some of the frogs.

I'm pretty sure they don't replenish items, if the are "X" amount of teams running, there will be "X" amount of items. Remember back a few seasons where that poor girl unrolled bales of hay until 'O'dark-hundred'?
post #120 of 1699 Old 03-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

Plus, if you are one of the last teams in a challenge like that, you should always take the other, since most of the frogs would have been found already.

Absolutely. You see that strategy employed incorrectly on these "needle in a haystack" types of challenges quite often.

If you are first, it's going to be easy to find what you are looking for. If you are last, you could be there forever.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page