'The Amazing Race' on CBS HD - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1699 Old 09-30-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 114
That's pretty much the only think I don't like about the show. I can understand different cuisines in different cultures and how that can relate to travel but a few times I did think they went a bit too far with it. And to that point, another thing that I've found interesting is that I don't ever remember anyone ever getting any type of food sickness. Never mind about the "weird foods" I mean just from international travel in general. You'd think out of one of the seasons and all of that travel one person would have gotten some kind of bug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1699 Old 09-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_b View Post

Did you not watch season 8, Family Edition, that was a race across the US.
And it was a terrible season.
post #1173 of 1699 Old 09-30-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 601
I've seen a pretty good portion of the USA .. one of the reasons I like TAR is the travels thru countries and areas that I'll likely never see .. and since they went HD a few seasons back, the photography is just spectacular ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1174 of 1699 Old 09-30-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 76
A lot of time passed between the daughter returning to the dock so her father could perform the task. It was pitch black when dad first appears on camera.
post #1175 of 1699 Old 09-30-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

That's pretty much the only think I don't like about the show. I can understand different cuisines in different cultures and how that can relate to travel but a few times I did think they went a bit too far with it. And to that point, another thing that I've found interesting is that I don't ever remember anyone ever getting any type of food sickness. Never mind about the "weird foods" I mean just from international travel in general. You'd think out of one of the seasons and all of that travel one person would have gotten some kind of bug.

To be fair, we don't see what happens during the mandatory rests. Could be a lot of praying in various forms to a porcelain god. tongue.gif
post #1176 of 1699 Old 10-01-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I didn't know you could switch the person doing the task once the decision on who's going to do the it starts the challenge.
post #1177 of 1699 Old 10-01-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

I didn't know you could switch the person doing the task once the decision on who's going to do the it starts the challenge.

They added a couple of twists on the first two challenges, one of which was that whoever did the Paragliding *had* to then do boat/fish challenge. It wasn't that they "switched," it was that they didn't read the clue and had to backtrack.
post #1178 of 1699 Old 10-01-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

They added a couple of twists on the first two challenges, one of which was that whoever did the Paragliding *had* to then do boat/fish challenge. It wasn't that they "switched," it was that they didn't read the clue and had to backtrack.

And I don't think contestants are used to that .. they just assumed either could do the challenge .. I liked that twist ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1179 of 1699 Old 10-01-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, I think that it's usually been that if there are two challenges on the same leg then they must alternate. I think contestants were used to it working that way and simply assumed the switch. I think this was a great twist on the first leg as well, as obviously a few missed this detail. There is also the rule that each team must split the tasks equally by the end of the race but that's separate from what we're talking about. Finally, it doesn't happen much but there have been some challenges in the past where a team member couldn't complete it and they switched with their teammate and no penalties were assessed.

On another note, as in the case with the doctors' finish....I guess there is a rule that you can't turn around and do it over once you get to the mat. Seems to me like they would give the contestants that choice to go back and follow the clue as written instead of just giving them a penalty.
post #1180 of 1699 Old 10-01-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I agree I would've liked to have seen them have to run back and then walk. Though at that point could they have just taken another taxi back to where they started?

The weird thing is in the past it's been 30 minutes + the time saved by their choice. So if the taxi saved them 5 minutes, it's 35 minutes.
post #1181 of 1699 Old 10-01-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post

I agree I would've liked to have seen them have to run back and then walk. Though at that point could they have just taken another taxi back to where they started?

The weird thing is in the past it's been 30 minutes + the time saved by their choice. So if the taxi saved them 5 minutes, it's 35 minutes.

It may just be my memory or lack thereof, but a re-do or a time penalty at the pitstop does not seem to have any consistent rule .. I think I remember folks having to go back and folks that have had a time penalty ..

Uncle Willie

post #1182 of 1699 Old 10-01-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Yup you're right! Sometimes they go back, sometimes they don't.

It would be nice if they had a common set of rules!
post #1183 of 1699 Old 10-01-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

It may just be my memory or lack thereof, but a re-do or a time penalty at the pitstop does not seem to have any consistent rule .. I think I remember folks having to go back and folks that have had a time penalty ..

You know what, you're right now that I think about it. Wait...now that I further think about it, at least the times I (vaguely) remember, the contestants had to go back to complete a task correctly or complete a task period. I don't recall it being for not following directions to get to the checkpoint.
post #1184 of 1699 Old 10-01-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Thanks. I only caught the last 15-20 minutes of the episode, so it looks like I really missed all these new twists.
post #1185 of 1699 Old 10-02-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 171
We watched, glad its back. I don't like the double express pass but other then that, still a solid and fun series.

Amazing eye candy this season. Wow.

post #1186 of 1699 Old 10-02-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

We watched, glad its back. I don't like the double express pass but other then that, still a solid and fun series.

Amazing eye candy this season. Wow.
Didn't they have the double express pass last season also?
post #1187 of 1699 Old 10-02-2013, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Didn't they have the double express pass last season also?

Yes they did. I think someone had an express pass and didn't use it, and got eliminated anyway.

-- David
post #1188 of 1699 Old 10-02-2013, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

Thanks. I only caught the last 15-20 minutes of the episode, so it looks like I really missed all these new twists.
They made it confusing with the Para-Gliding challenge as the one "doing the challenge" had the mission of Finding their partner para-gliding. This also had the effect that the person that wanted to Para-Glide didn't get to. Then they had to have the other person do the challenge for the Row Boats. At least 2 teams (Afghan-imals & Indian Father/Daughter) thought the person that did the Para-Gliding actually did the mission which wasn't the case & forced a late boat swap.

It was relatively confusing as the person doing the cool thing (Para-Gliding) technically wasn't the one doing the mission, which was odd...

PS3 ID: Mav_26_
post #1189 of 1699 Old 10-02-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMavs View Post

They made it confusing with the Para-Gliding challenge as the one "doing the challenge" had the mission of Finding their partner para-gliding. This also had the effect that the person that wanted to Para-Glide didn't get to. Then they had to have the other person do the challenge for the Row Boats. At least 2 teams (Afghan-imals & Indian Father/Daughter) thought the person that did the Para-Gliding actually did the mission which wasn't the case & forced a late boat swap.

It was relatively confusing as the person doing the cool thing (Para-Gliding) technically wasn't the one doing the mission, which was odd...

Yes, but IMO, this is what I really liked about the first challenge. It really sets the tone for the race and keeps people (viewer included) from getting comfortable with how things work. That one little detail could have bounced what may be considered the strongest team. To me, it's one measure to level the playing field so to speak.
post #1190 of 1699 Old 10-02-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMavs View Post

Well, you gotta admit, neither the paragliding nor the finding on the beach was much in the way of a challenge ..

Uncle Willie

post #1191 of 1699 Old 10-02-2013, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Well, you gotta admit, neither the paragliding nor the finding on the beach was much in the way of a challenge ..

Nope, not much at all, but considerably harder than eating ice cream biggrin.gif

Bill
post #1192 of 1699 Old 10-02-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkerbow View Post

Yes they did. I think someone had an express pass and didn't use it, and got eliminated anyway.

Correct. The surfboard challenge did in the boy/girl team. Girl was cute, guy had an obnoxious smile. First team to ever be eliminated w/an express pass!
post #1193 of 1699 Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_Tee View Post

Nope, not much at all, but considerably harder than eating ice cream biggrin.gif

I don't know .. a brain freeze can be painful .. tongue.gif

Uncle Willie

post #1194 of 1699 Old 10-02-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

I don't know .. a brain freeze can be painful .. tongue.gif

haha. Funny biggrin.gif

I want some frozen alcoholic drinks cool.gif
post #1195 of 1699 Old 10-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post

Correct. The surfboard challenge did in the boy/girl team. Girl was cute, guy had an obnoxious smile. First team to ever be eliminated w/an express pass!
I think everything about that guy was pretty obnoxious. I thoroughly enjoyed him going out like that with an express pass in his pocket last season. Good times. cool.gif

Does that make me a bad person? wink.gif

PS3 ID: Mav_26_
post #1196 of 1699 Old 10-07-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Several contestants looked good in bikinis.

Marie, with the pink streak, is a piece of work.

Diabla indeed.
post #1197 of 1699 Old 10-08-2013, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 171
WOW! Whoeever thought of the Brine challenge should win an Emmy. Brilliant putting that in there early with these hot women. smile.gif

That guy that shined the shoes for the wrong shoe shiner then took his whole cart was one of the best momments in race history. Priceless.

I can' t beleive that lady said this was the hardest thing she has ever done. Really? Carrying bags of salt was the hardest thing you ever have done in your life? Wow, she sure has an easy life.

Laughed out loud at the beginning when Phil said they were in the land of internal sunshine and all the shots they showed it was a thick overcast sky with a heavy mist/fog.

post #1198 of 1699 Old 10-08-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can' t beleive that lady said this was the hardest thing she has ever done. Really? Carrying bags of salt was the hardest thing you ever have done in your life? Wow, she sure has an easy life.

Laughed out loud at the beginning when Phil said they were in the land of internal sunshine and all the shots they showed it was a thick overcast sky with a heavy mist/fog.

1) Is it that surprising that any young person would say that these days? Perhaps the hardest thing she's had to endure so far in her life is when her internet goes out and she can't check Facebook or Twitter! :O
2) I guess the term "Internal sunshine" was indeed appropriate. wink.gif
post #1199 of 1699 Old 10-08-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

WOW! Whoeever thought of the Brine challenge should win an Emmy. Brilliant putting that in there early with these hot women. smile.gif

That guy that shined the shoes for the wrong shoe shiner then took his whole cart was one of the best momments in race history. Priceless.

Yeah, it's high time Race got a little "racier"

I kept saying to myself .. "How is it he's the only one that could not figure out the shoe shine .. ?? I mean, the dude he picked even said something like .. I'm working, leave me alone .. "

Uncle Willie

post #1200 of 1699 Old 10-08-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

The girl half of the ex-couple team? She's quite possibly the worst of any season that I've watched. That I can remember anyway. Sportsmanship and gamesmanship is one thing. Telling that shoeshine guy at the locker not to help the "bingo" contestant (sorry, I don't have names down yet)? That's bad form. IMO he was right to call her the devil. And I really don't even know how her teammate can even stand to be around her even in a race for $1MM.

To be as behind as the bingo team was, to basically catch up and have a shot at the shoeshine challenge was incredible fate. But to get the wrong shoe shine vendor was just unbelievable. I'm sure it's different when you're in the heat of the moment but still, I can't believe something in the back of your mind wouldn't have tipped you off that this guy was pushing back too hard telling him no he was working. This kind of thing makes me wonder about the selection process and what they look for in contestants. More specifically, do they pick teams they feel have a shot to win? If so, did they feel these guys would really compete?

The part I loved about the leg was the Afghanimals who when purchasing tickets the ex couple girl asked them about the travel time and they told her some bogus answer and she said "there is no 12:30" or something to that effect. The guys responded with "then why did you ask?" and she just turned and walked away. That was hysterical to me because they found a way to shut her up!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page