post #1261 of 1795 Old 10-22-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

When they won 5K each I really liked one of them said .. "I can live off that for a year" .. discounting the obvious "Duck Dynasty" comparisons, I think these guys are honestly trying to run a clean Race and they seem like pretty good guys .. they even helped the girls figure out how to put the truck in reverse .. had that been what's her name, she would have said "I have the Express Pass .. come over here and move this truck for me" ..

Although they are not my pick team, I agree they they are trying to run a clean race. I personally like that. In fact, it seems to me that there is more "help" amongst the teams this season compared to seasons past. Granted, I feel that a lot of it has to do with playing against the Ex-couples. But still, I like to see good sportsmanship while still playing to win. There is a U Turn coming up next week. That really whets the appetite at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1795 Old 10-22-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Although they are not my pick team, I agree they they are trying to run a clean race. I personally like that. In fact, it seems to me that there is more "help" amongst the teams this season compared to seasons past. Granted, I feel that a lot of it has to do with playing against the Ex-couples. But still, I like to see good sportsmanship while still playing to win. There is a U Turn coming up next week. That really whets the appetite at this point.

Yeah, when the U-Turn comes around, that's when the rubber really starts to meet the road .. eek.gif

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1263 of 1795 Old 10-22-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

They weren't looking for the pit stop; they were looking for the clue. The doctors had already completed the 4-wheel-drive task and found the clue and bag of coins "which they will need later." Pinky and her ex are so impetuous that they missed the marked pole to hang their fish heads from and also missed the buried bag of coins with the clue during the 4-wheel-drive challenge. Merely following the docs to the pit stop wouldn't help.

My point still stands, regardless of what they were looking for, all you had to do was follow them. They were on the last challenge, last thing to do, just follow the team to where they were going instead of giving up the express pass.

post #1264 of 1795 Old 10-22-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

My point still stands, regardless of what they were looking for, all you had to do was follow them. They were on the last challenge, last thing to do, just follow the team to where they were going instead of giving up the express pass.

It does seem like simple logic .. I guess she's so obsessed with using (or not using) the Power of The Bonus Express Pass, the simple idea of following escapes ..

But we do now know just how tough those Ford trucks are .. wink.gif

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1265 of 1795 Old 10-22-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I see your point. The Pinky Team picked up the bag of coins but not the clue. Pinky said something like "maybe the coins are the clue." So they could have just followed the Doctors to the pseudo-Pit Stop, but I wonder if they would be penalized for not getting there using the clue. Didn't a team on another season happened to find the pit stop by accident but they had to go back to do the challenge before Phil could check them in?
post #1266 of 1795 Old 10-22-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

I see your point. The Pinky Team picked up the bag of coins but not the clue. Pinky said something like "maybe the coins are the clue." So they could have just followed the Doctors to the pseudo-Pit Stop, but I wonder if they would be penalized for not getting there using the clue. Didn't a team on another season happened to find the pit stop by accident but they had to go back to do the challenge before Phil could check them in?

Yes, but as I recall, that team didn't do the challenge. The Ex-Couple team did the challenge, they just didn't pick up the clue. I'm not sure how that factors in.
post #1267 of 1795 Old 10-22-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

When they won 5K each I really liked one of them said .. "I can live off that for a year" .. discounting the obvious "Duck Dynasty" comparisons, I think these guys are honestly trying to run a clean Race and they seem like pretty good guys .. they even helped the girls figure out how to put the truck in reverse .. had that been what's her name, she would have said "I have the Express Pass .. come over here and move this truck for me" ..

The Oklahoma boys helped the girls with reversing the truck, not the beardy boys.

Unless the beardy boys also helped the baseball wives which I am not remembering at the moment.

post #1268 of 1795 Old 10-23-2013, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think the show purposely finds folks who can't drive stick for situations like this. Everyone who applies for the race knows that it is very likely you'll have to drive a stick shift vehicle somewhere in the race. The stick shift is marked where Reverse is but they still can't figure that out. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif
post #1269 of 1795 Old 10-23-2013, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:

Yes, but as I recall, that team didn't do the challenge. The Ex-Couple team did the challenge, they just didn't pick up the clue. I'm not sure how that factors in.

Well, unless they go back and get the clue, we will see if there is a penalty because if they give her the pass she will just tell her where to go and they still will not have the clue.

post #1270 of 1795 Old 10-23-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

I think the show purposely finds folks who can't drive stick for situations like this. Everyone who applies for the race knows that it is very likely you'll have to drive a stick shift vehicle somewhere in the race. The stick shift is marked where Reverse is but they still can't figure that out. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

The Reverse gear in a manual drive car usually has different way of engaging it other than simply pushing the stick into the R slot. In the cars that I've owned, the R gear is the "sixth" gear and you have to push the stick more to the right and down for it to engage. The fifth gear is right above the R, but that one engages with a less forceful push to the right. This is done so that you don't actually go into reverse by accident.

When I was on a work assignment in France, most of the rent-a-cars were manual. A co-worker picked his up at the airport and got lost on the way to the hotel. He pulled into a driveway to turn around and couldn't figure out how to get it into reverse. He eventually had to get the help of a cop to figure it out. It turns out there was a ring underneath the stick shift knobk that you have to pull up to allow the stick to go into the reverse gear. I had never seen that method before and I probably would have been just as bewildered as my friend.

If anyone plans to enter the Amazing Race, there are four things that you have to practice before it starts:

1) Learn how to drive stick
2) Learn how to swim
3) Work on your fitness
4) Work on eating 'exotic' foods
post #1271 of 1795 Old 10-23-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

To the point of the "Race" promoters "purposefully finding people who can't drive a stick", I not only believe this but the same for a number of challenges. My wife and I bring this up frequently that there must be some kind of extensive personality profile that identifies certain things about people. Someone is usually terrified of heights and there is always a height challenge. Someone is usually deficient in swimming and there is usually a water challenge. Driving a stick, weak constitution (as it relates to food), so on an so on. I even not that this year, and I may be very wrong about my information, but there seems to be a high number of contestants that can speak a little if not a lot of Spanish. I thought it was interesting that this season they traveled to Portugal, which (and I admit I may be very wrong about this) if I'm not mistaken, Portuguese is nothing like Spanish. My point is, there always seems to be a challenge to attack someone's achiles heel.
post #1272 of 1795 Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

To the point of the "Race" promoters "purposefully finding people who can't drive a stick", I not only believe this but the same for a number of challenges. My wife and I bring this up frequently that there must be some kind of extensive personality profile that identifies certain things about people. Someone is usually terrified of heights and there is always a height challenge. Someone is usually deficient in swimming and there is usually a water challenge. Driving a stick, weak constitution (as it relates to food), so on an so on. I even not that this year, and I may be very wrong about my information, but there seems to be a high number of contestants that can speak a little if not a lot of Spanish. I thought it was interesting that this season they traveled to Portugal, which (and I admit I may be very wrong about this) if I'm not mistaken, Portuguese is nothing like Spanish. My point is, there always seems to be a challenge to attack someone's achiles heel.

The Race is designed to showcase a cross section of humanity .. if it were not for human weaknesses and frailties it would be a fairly boring show .. the weaknesses you mention are just a part of life ..

The ability to "get by" with some Spanish is not uncommon, Yo puedo hablar un poco de español .. and even if you don't take it in school, the US is chock full of Spanish that can easily be picked up just in everyday life .. Pollos Hermanos, anyone .. ??

That said .. geez Race Runners .. learn to drive a stick .. wink.gif

Uncle Willie

post #1273 of 1795 Old 10-23-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

My dad, uncle and even neighbors told me at 16 years old...(ok, 14 1/2 years old), that everyone should learn to drive on a stick first. And I agree.

mgkdragon....your points about "humanity" are spot on. I just think the "Race" is not allowing for random challenges of humanity. I think exposure of these "weaknesses" are intentional.
post #1274 of 1795 Old 10-23-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My dad, uncle and even neighbors told me at 16 years old...(ok, 14 1/2 years old), that everyone should learn to drive on a stick first. And I agree.

mgkdragon....your points about "humanity" are spot on. I just think the "Race" is not allowing for random challenges of humanity. I think exposure of these "weaknesses" are intentional.

And I don't disagree .. that's why they call it "casting" .. wink.gif

My first ride was a motorcycle .. my second ride was a car with stick .. back in the Dark Ages .. we're talking the late 1950's, early 1960's .. and back in those days, pretty much everyone knew how to shift gears and do it without burning up your clutch .. wink.gif

Uncle Willie

post #1275 of 1795 Old 10-23-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And I don't disagree .. that's why they call it "casting" .. wink.gif

My first ride was a motorcycle .. my second ride was a car with stick .. back in the Dark Ages .. we're talking the late 1950's, early 1960's .. and back in those days, pretty much everyone knew how to shift gears and do it without burning up your clutch .. wink.gif

Clutch? What's a clutch? Oh, you mean that pedal thingy on the left? LOL. Funny...there are days I get in the car and still look for it. As in, I physically lift my foot as if I had one. biggrin.gif
post #1276 of 1795 Old 10-27-2013, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Uturns suck, the Afgans acted like they made some special move to stay in the race.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #1277 of 1795 Old 10-28-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I still am of the belief that if you have been U-turned at a double, you shouldn't be allowed to U-turn anyone else until you come back from your 2nd challenge.
post #1278 of 1795 Old 10-28-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Last week, I'm cheering the Beards .. this week they're gone .. should have stuck with the human statue challenge .. oh well ..

Uncle Willie

post #1279 of 1795 Old 10-28-2013, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Last week, I'm cheering the Beards .. this week they're gone .. should have stuck with the human statue challenge .. oh well ..

yep, they blew it.

thanks to the amazing race, should the question of longest wooden pier in europe ever come up in trivial pursuit , i'll now know the answer. and that apartment complex? 6,000 residents?! eek.gif
post #1280 of 1795 Old 10-28-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycarole View Post

yep, they blew it.

thanks to the amazing race, should the question of longest wooden pier in europe ever come up in trivial pursuit , i'll now know the answer. and that apartment complex? 6,000 residents?! eek.gif

What got me about the APT building was they said it was the longest in Poland .. I guess there is a longer one somewhere else .. eek.gif

Uncle Willie

post #1281 of 1795 Old 10-28-2013, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

What got me about the APT building was they said it was the longest in Poland .. I guess there is a longer one somewhere else .. eek.gif

i know, right?! crazy! sometime when i'm feeling less lazy, i'll google it, 'cause i now gotta know where the longest one is.
post #1282 of 1795 Old 10-28-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Sad to see the Beardy-Boys leave but I'm glad at least they were the ones to receive the sweet $5K pitstop prize.

post #1283 of 1795 Old 10-28-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

I still am of the belief that if you have been U-turned at a double, you shouldn't be allowed to U-turn anyone else until you come back from your 2nd challenge.

Then why have a double U turn? If they just send one team back then you kind of kill the excitement for the last half of the episode because you know one team is way far behind everyone else. With the way the current system is setup you at least have some suspense.
post #1284 of 1795 Old 10-28-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Sad to see the Beardy-Boys leave but I'm glad at least they were the ones to receive the sweet $5K pitstop prize.

Yep .. it's gotta be tough going from 1st to last .. but the 5K each is nice .. and I think they would have gone home, U-Turn or not ..

Uncle Willie

post #1285 of 1795 Old 10-29-2013, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

Actually the clue is tied to the bag of coins, as clearly shown by Phil.
You can't pick one without the other. If you look closely, you can see that the clue is in Tim's hand as he takes the bag of coins. I don't know why they untied the clue and threw it away after the challenge.
post #1286 of 1795 Old 10-29-2013, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was sure that the girls would be eliminated, because the clue said "keep the beard, remove the wig" and they did the opposite. But all the other teams did the same, so it looks like they were instructed to do so and never bother to inform us for the change in the rules.
post #1287 of 1795 Old 11-02-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I finally caught up with last weeks episode last night. First off, I'm shocked that pinky gave up the express pass. I really thought her ego and control issues would prevent her from doing so. And I was also wondering if she was gonna double cross the doctors and not give it to them later. I'm glad they got it btw, they're my pic team followed by the Boston couple. The beards grew to a team I started to like so I'm bummed they're out. Anyone catch how nice their teeth were? I thought that was a little odd.
post #1288 of 1795 Old 11-02-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I finally caught up with last weeks episode last night. First off, I'm shocked that pinky gave up the express pass. I really thought her ego and control issues would prevent her from doing so. And I was also wondering if she was gonna double cross the doctors and not give it to them later. I'm glad they got it btw, they're my pic team followed by the Boston couple. The beards grew to a team I started to like so I'm bummed they're out. Anyone catch how nice their teeth were? I thought that was a little odd.

She did demand the Docs not tell anyone .. but now, since the Docs have the only pass, she'll probably tell everyone she gave it to them ..

Uncle Willie

post #1289 of 1795 Old 11-03-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 94
People not knowing how to drive a manual transmission car doesn't surprise me at all, seeing as only about 5% of cars sold in the US aren't automatics. (I believe it's actually under 4% so far for 2013)
post #1290 of 1795 Old 11-03-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

People not knowing how to drive a manual transmission car doesn't surprise me at all, seeing as only about 5% of cars sold in the US aren't automatics. (I believe it's actually under 4% so far for 2013)

Still, if you know you are going to be on this show, how hard is it to find a car to practice with?

It's like the people who go on Survivor not knowing how to swim, knowing full well there will most likely be a swimming challenge.
kittycarole likes this.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page