post #1681 of 1699 Old 05-19-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by bswiz View Post

How about some all new teams for next season? Getting sick of seeing these people who have made reality shows their full time jobs.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1699 Old 05-19-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Although I was rooting under my breath for the singers to win, I am relatively pleased with the winners - Dave and Connor did run a great race, as good as any this season. They did get a little whiny towards the end, but I guess this happens to the best of the teams due to the stakes being raised as they get towards the end.

The singers got two non-eliminations AND two express passes, and could never have gotten to the latter stages if not for Dave and Connor literally carrying them on their backs through the challenges. It was ridiculous how much most of the top teams were cooperating/cheating on challenges that I was rooting for the eye-candy props to win it all as a slap in the face to the showrunners. So I was rooting for the Brenchels to win based on this fact alone, as they were running it like a real race.

I am sick of teams getting sabotaged by incompetent cab drivers. Doesn't TAR allow the contestants to take a different cab en route if they think their cabbie is going to cost them the race??
post #1683 of 1699 Old 05-19-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 69
In Las Vegas, you can ONLY get a Taxi from a hotel, convention center etc. Try flagging one down driving past you, they will keep going.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #1684 of 1699 Old 05-19-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post

In Las Vegas, you can ONLY get a Taxi from a hotel. Try flagging one down driving past you, they will keep going.

True, with respect to Vegas. I was talking in general, and my argument is applicable to all the locations the team run off to across the world. Many capable teams routinely get screwed by clueless cabbies in foreign countries.
post #1685 of 1699 Old 05-19-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

True, with respect to Vegas. I was talking in general, and my argument is applicable to all the locations the team run off to across the world. Many capable teams routinely get screwed by clueless cabbies in foreign countries.

Luck of the draw ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1686 of 1699 Old 05-19-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I have to admit, after the lame magic challenge they flagged down a taxi right away. It got me thinking about how did they get one with the Vega rules for taxis. My guess was the show made sure they had them close by. ITS RIGGED. biggrin.gif

post #1687 of 1699 Old 05-19-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Old Man Whiner won. "I can't believe you would do that to an old man", "why are they coming after us, can't they see I'm old?", etc. blech.

They got the second best price too, winning the cars. I like to see the good prizes get spread around to different teams more.

While I do like the country singers eye-candy and their good persevering attitude, it was getting on my nerves a little with their inflated sense of accomplishment as a team. They mostly survived by luck (two non-elimination challenges) and from the benevolence of other teams helping them out. I'm sure they'll be fine though. Got to travel the world a couple times over, dabbled a bit as "country singers", eventually to settle down with some rich husbands.

Quote:
The singers got two non-eliminations AND two express passes, and could never have gotten to the latter stages if not for Dave and Connor literally carrying them on their backs through the challenges. It was ridiculous how much most of the top teams were cooperating/cheating on challenges that I was rooting for the eye-candy props to win it all as a slap in the face to the showrunners. So I was rooting for the Brenchels to win based on this fact alone, as they were running it like a real race.

I am sick of teams getting sabotaged by incompetent cab drivers. Doesn't TAR allow the contestants to take a different cab en route if they think their cabbie is going to cost them the race??

Great points. The cooperation reached ridiculous levels this year. I also appreciated the Brenchels on that level, playing it as a real competition. Had the singers won, I wonder if Dave/Conner and the Afghanimals would ever have a realization that they had duped themselves. Or if they would forever have been too smitten by their charms to realize it.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #1688 of 1699 Old 05-19-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Trust me, the Brenchels would have lapped up any chance of an alliance with any team ..

And First to the Mat prizes do get spread around .. to the First to the Mat folks ..

Uncle Willie

post #1689 of 1699 Old 05-19-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Ha ha, but not really. It's pure luck not accomplishment when it comes to which prize the team receives for each winning leg.

Just wish someone else had the luck of the winning leg draw and won the cars and the Mormon father/son had wound up with yet one more trip, since they ended up with the ultimate prize anyway. Like I said, I just like seeing the prizes spread around more teams. Not only did they win the million but they also lucked into the second best prize of them all. Not that anything can be done about it, just random luck.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #1690 of 1699 Old 05-19-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I also feel that due to safety demands of skydiving like the need to space the jumps apart, the winner would have been sealed the moment the first team spotted the clue in the chopper. This is not a taxi-ride and sprint to the finish mat like most of the other seasons, so, I am sure the winner was sealed the moment Dave spotted the Raceway signage in the chopper. From then on, it would be a matter of getting the contestant to jump off and land safely in the speedway.

@mgkdragn:
It would have been high-larious if they introduced an element of "luck of the draw" and had one of the chopper drivers forget flying directions to the Raceway, or develop a snag in the chopper forcing an aborted jump, thereby costing a team the chance to get to the mat on time. tongue.gif
post #1691 of 1699 Old 05-19-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

@mgkdragn:
It would have been high-larious if they introduced an element of "luck of the draw" and had one of the chopper drivers forget flying directions to the Raceway, or develop a snag in the chopper forcing an aborted jump, thereby costing a team the chance to get to the mat on time. tongue.gif

You're suggesting an intentionally instructed pilot and/or a malfunctioning helo would be funny .. ?? confused.gif

Uncle Willie

post #1692 of 1699 Old 05-19-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Ha ha, but not really. It's pure luck not accomplishment when it comes to which prize the team receives for each winning leg.

That was exactly my point .. I guess I don't know what you're getting at .. are you saying the producers should select what prize a first to the mat team gets based on the team .. ?? IOW, let's give Dave and Connor the cheapest prize we have left because they already won the cars .. ??

Uncle Willie

post #1693 of 1699 Old 05-19-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

.. are you saying the producers should select what prize a first to the mat team gets based on the team .. ?? IOW, let's give Dave and Connor the cheapest prize we have left because they already won the cars .. ??

No, not at all. Like I said before, "not that anything can be done about it, just random luck." (that they also wound up with the second best prize of all)

post #1694 of 1699 Old 05-19-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

You're suggesting an intentionally instructed pilot and/or a malfunctioning helo would be funny .. ?? confused.gif

I was being sarcastic, in case the tone wasn't obvious. I wasn't hinting at deliberate manipulation of the choppers by the showrunners, but they wouldn't take a chance at "the luck of draw" with helos and skydive jump-offs, so why not eliminate the recurring screwups by cab drivers directly impacting the race outcomes irrespective of how well the team(s) ran the rest of the race?
post #1695 of 1699 Old 05-19-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was being sarcastic, in case the tone wasn't obvious. I wasn't hinting at deliberate manipulation of the choppers by the showrunners, but they wouldn't take a chance at "the luck of draw" with helos, so why not eliminate the recurring screwups by cab drivers directly impacting the race outcomes irrespective of how well the team(s) ran the rest of the race?

There is a very large difference between a helo pilot and a cab driver .. in order to eliminate cab driver screw ups, each driver would have to be vetted and determined to be on equal footing with all others .. or each provided with a GPS .. and even at that, there is nothing that could be done about traffic .. or cab breakdowns, heck, I think we've even seen cabbies run out of gas a time or two ..

Myself, I've always found the cab driver randomness kind of a part of the game .. "it's like a box of chocolates . . " wink.gif

Uncle Willie

post #1696 of 1699 Old 05-19-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 353
It seems to me that every time I think anyone but this team winning would make me happy that team ends up winning. The constant whining by Dave and Conner turned me off those weeks ago. Bad luck with the cab driver for Rachel and Brandon, but that is the race.
post #1697 of 1699 Old 05-19-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Brenchel cab luck was GOOD luck.

For me.
I WANT MORE likes this.

post #1698 of 1699 Old 05-19-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
if they wanna get rid of cab drivers, then legs would have to be done based off of time. Not the time that they hit the pit stop. The problem is there's too many variables. I agree leave it as is. Chance/luck is part of the game!
post #1699 of 1699 Old 06-18-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Excellent article with the head honchos. They put to rest a lot of speculation brought up on this forum.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/awards/am...de-1201221416/

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page