Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1711 of 1724 Old 09-29-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I'm curious about how the change to Friday will impact ratings as well. It was quite strange come Sunday night because I kept feeling like I was missing something. And now it seems like it's so long until next Friday.

For the first time, I'm a little indifferent about the teams and the start of the show. I liked the kick off, location and first challenge and all but the teams I'm finding so far, no one that I'm really wanting to get behind. Just about every team is rubbing me the wrong way, which has never happened before. I'm tired of Survivor retreads, mom and daughters, super cocky players, homosexual couple, Boston and firefighters. Don't get me wrong about the last two, it's just that it's a been there done that thing is all. I'm hoping my thoughts and feelings on this change after the next episode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1724 Old 09-29-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I do not like the change to Friday, granted I just record it, but on Sunday I would watch it live. Too much on Fridays for me to have this show added.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #1713 of 1724 Old 09-29-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post
I'm tired of Survivor retreads, mom and daughters, super cocky players, homosexual couple, Boston and firefighters. Don't get me wrong about the last two, it's just that it's a been there done that thing is all.

You've eliminated 95% of teams! About all that would be novel would be a rich guy and his man servant or a kid raised in the jungle and his Orangutan mentor.
post #1714 of 1724 Old 09-29-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
You've eliminated 95% of teams! About all that would be novel would be a rich guy and his man servant or a kid raised in the jungle and his Orangutan mentor.
I'd tune in to that!

The thing is (for me) it all gets to be the same storylines and I just feel like I've seen it before. There are far more personality options that are available IMO.
post #1715 of 1724 Old 09-29-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
Both of those sound fairly familiar ..

Maybe it's just me, but it looked like this season was pretty diverse cast wise .. go Team Soul Surfer

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1716 of 1724 Old 09-29-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Do the people casting for these shows just make sure they have gays on? Survivor does it, AR does it, BB does it, at least I think, only watched it for my first time this season.

post #1717 of 1724 Old 09-30-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post
Do the people casting for these shows just make sure they have gays on? Survivor does it, AR does it, BB does it, at least I think, only watched it for my first time this season.
No offense, but they are a part of the population .. asking that question is like asking if they cast African Americans, Latinos, Oriental folks, etc .. what difference does it make .. ?? A show tries to reach as much of the population at large as possible, that's how a network makes money .. and casting choices are certainly not limited to the shows you mention ..
John dhein likes this.

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1718 of 1724 Old 09-30-2014, 07:37 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
No offense, but they are a part of the population .. asking that question is like asking if they cast African Americans, Latinos, Oriental folks, etc .. what difference does it make .. ?? A show tries to reach as much of the population at large as possible, that's how a network makes money .. and casting choices are certainly not limited to the shows you mention ..
But if it there was no "quota" involved in casting it would seem that some seasons would have two or three (or more) gay individuals, and some seasons would have none. The question arises because it seems that there is "one" or one "couple" each season, causing it to appear an intentional casting decision.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider

normal on a two month old set..
post #1719 of 1724 Old 09-30-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
But if it there was no "quota" involved in casting it would seem that some seasons would have two or three (or more) gay individuals, and some seasons would have none. The question arises because it seems that there is "one" or one "couple" each season, causing it to appear an intentional casting decision.
I have no doubt it is an intentional casting choice .. which is why I said

"A show tries to reach as much of the population at large as possible, that's how a network makes money .. and casting choices are certainly not limited to the shows you mention .. "

To be cast, you must, of course, pass thru a series of requirements / tests/ etc .. beginning with :

http://www.theamazingracecasting.com/web/apply

The point is, all contestants are intentionally chosen .. that's why it's called casting ..

Uncle Willie

post #1720 of 1724 Old 09-30-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats a fair explanation, I have just always found it weird that shows make sure we have some gays. Almost like they are exploiting, more so than trying to just reach a balanced audience. I dont watch any show, telling myself, hey I watch cause I want to see white people. I watch cause I enjoy the show and the people, no matter what or who they are.

post #1721 of 1724 Old 09-30-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post
Thats a fair explanation, I have just always found it weird that shows make sure we have some gays. Almost like they are exploiting, more so than trying to just reach a balanced audience. I dont watch any show, telling myself, hey I watch cause I want to see white people. I watch cause I enjoy the show and the people, no matter what or who they are.
I don't now if there is a disproportionate share of any particular group .. what I do know is a casting crew looks for folks that will get viewers / ratings and ad revenue .. to do that, especially in a Reality Show, personalities are important .. good, bad and ugly ..

I, like you, watch a show because I like the show .. there have been plenty of contestants over the years that I did not like, and it made no difference to me what their background, ethnicity or what not was .. it always boiled down to how they played, their personality, etc ..

I watched Big Brother for a few seasons and just could not stand the show .. if there ever was a formula Reality Show, BB is it ..

Uncle Willie

post #1722 of 1724 Old 09-30-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't now if there is a disproportionate share of any particular group .. what I do know is a casting crew looks for folks that will get viewers / ratings and ad revenue .. to do that, especially in a Reality Show, personalities are important .. good, bad and ugly ..

I, like you, watch a show because I like the show .. there have been plenty of contestants over the years that I did not like, and it made no difference to me what their background, ethnicity or what not was .. it always boiled down to how they played, their personality, etc ..

I watched Big Brother for a few seasons and just could not stand the show .. if there ever was a formula Reality Show, BB is it ..
I am not sure if I will watch BB again. Its summer, so not many choices, ironic that the person on the show who was the biggest idiot was Frankie.

post #1723 of 1724 Old 09-30-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Gays are often a desirable target demographic to some advertisers.

They tend of earn and spend more in many cases.
post #1724 of 1724 Old 09-30-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Casting for a reality show is a thankless job. You have so many factors to consider. Your bosses want the cast to appeal to themost profitable demographics so you need to cast mostly young, attractive people without alienating the older crowd. As wco81 mentioned, the advertisers are probably targeting the Gay community as a source of revenue,so you must be sure that they are represented. Then you have to consider the major demographic groups. Blacks and Hispanics are a given. As are women. Noone really seems to care if Asians are included in the mix. I'm guessing that the execs don't want to stir up trouble by including Muslims. Every season, someone has to show how good they are by bringing and reading the Bible, but the show probably wants to avoid any religious controversy .
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page