post #181 of 1699 Old 03-21-2011, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

And I must admit I'm surprised that K&V got that fanny pack back and only got a 30 minute penalty for the flight.

I'm not sure what other penalty would have been proper. Usually, when teams break a rule, it's to gain time, so the penalty is usually the time it would have taken but not for the rule-breaking + 30 minutes. Here, the rule-breaking only resulted in the loss of time, so it seemed fair enough.

Quote:

And why didn't the penalty apply at the first pit stop they encountered after the infraction?

Well, the pit stop last night was the first pit stop. There was no pit stop after the first half of the leg -- they just picked up the clue and raced onwards.

Anyway, it would have made even less difference then, since K&V still would have made that train if they'd had to wait 30 minutes.

Quote:

Can anyone recall this situation ever occurring on a previous season (i.e. a penalty on a "your still racing pit stop" leg)?

I don't think it has occurred before... such legs are not all that common, or they weren't, until this season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1699 Old 03-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I actually think that Jaime and Kara should not have been allowed to U-Turn the Globetrotters. After Kent and Vyxin U-Turned the cheerleaders, shouldn't they have been required to go and complete the second challenge before using the Double U-Turn on someone else?
post #183 of 1699 Old 03-21-2011, 05:50 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

That's a great explanation. The goal isn't to be first. The goal is to stay out of last place as often as possible.

It shares one thing with Survivor: Outlast. You gotta stay alive. It's really not easy to avoid elimination all the way to the end either. It takes a lot of effort, skill, good decision making and toughness, and a big dose of luck, to make it all the way . By the time they get to the finale the teams that are left have definitely earned it IMO.

ron
post #184 of 1699 Old 03-21-2011, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post
I actually think that Jaime and Kara should not have been allowed to U-Turn the Globetrotters. After Kent and Vyxin U-Turned the cheerleaders, shouldn't they have been required to go and complete the second challenge before using the Double U-Turn on someone else?
Totally with you BUT I guess the only thing is that the double U-Turn is new and I guess it never crossed their mind, OR maybe it did and they want to allow a U-Turned team to use the second U-turn.

But we didn't have precedent for the rule previously because the double U-Turn is new. With the single U-Turn, this situation could not happen.
post #185 of 1699 Old 03-21-2011, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
As to your last point about it being "classy," IMHO, I think there's your real reason for the wins, even though TAR has its own smut as it likes to play up internal drama in teams, there was a season that every time you saw the teams name, you saw under it "Dating 12 years, virgins." Not to mention they love to cast teams that are insensitive to other cultures and insensitive to the lack of english speakers around the globe rather than cast "worldly" teams. They also love to play up those insensitivities in the broadcasts. Stuff like that is typical reality tv fare, not some noble exception. But somehow in the industry, Jamie & Cara berating a cab driver for not speaking English (best example of this I can think of, but there are many others) is somehow classier than a verbal fight on Jersey Shore or Real World. IMHO, it's not.
No argument that teams are cast to produce conflict/drama, but it is not played up as much as other Reality shows. When you're racing around the world with little sleep and little food and in unfamiliar situations, tempers will be short and bad behavior will result. But I believe AR does not play them up. Sure they'll show what happens, but then the race continues.

If AR wanted to play up the conflicts, they would put everyone together during the pit stops and show more of that interaction. I'm not sure if they prevent the teams from mingling during the stops nowadays. Imagine the juicy footage they'd have if the teams were allowed to go at it during their downtime. Of course, if they provided unlimited alcohol, then Whooeee! Ratings Bonanza!

Quite a few reality shows have gone down this route. Think of the show that started it all...The Real World. The first few seasons were about the social experiment of placing kids from different backgrounds together and see what happens. Now it's just to see who's going to sleep with who and how many fights will break out. I remember watching the first season of the Real Housewives of Orange County. It focused on the lifestyles of the families, but there were no big arguments. Nowadays, all of the RH series requires name calling and bitchiness.
post #186 of 1699 Old 03-21-2011, 08:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
That's what perhaps you don't get, most TAR fans don't pay attention to who's ahead of who throughout most of an ep. They just watch the show and see how each leg finishes out. Although during an ep the show will say "Currently in First Place," most fans know not to put any stock into that unless it is right before the pit stop, and even then, it could be a non-elimination leg so you never know at the end of each ep if the final team is going home, unless Phil clearly says the last team to arrive WILL be eliminated (most of the time he says "may").
This show has a lot of stuff that's not worth paying attention to. I've finally got the apocalyptic crashing/explosions soundtrack tuned out of my head. Now I have to remember not to pay attention to who's ahead until a leg is over.

Wait, produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. OK, I get it now.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #187 of 1699 Old 03-22-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

There's no indication this is the rule.
post #188 of 1699 Old 03-22-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

There's no indication this is the rule.

No, but rSambuca's thought was (And I suspect many viewers had this thought too), that back when it was a single U-Turn, you saw you were U-Turned and had to go back. The assumption was with the double U-turn that if you saw that you were U-Turned, you simply had to go back as well.

Obviously we know now that isn't the case, and since it was new they could set new rules for it [and they can always change their rules as they please since it's a tv show], but it was reasonable to assume this based on how single U-turns work.
post #189 of 1699 Old 03-22-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

No argument that teams are cast to produce conflict/drama, but it is not played up as much as other Reality shows. When you're racing around the world with little sleep and little food and in unfamiliar situations, tempers will be short and bad behavior will result. But I believe AR does not play them up. Sure they'll show what happens, but then the race continues.

If AR wanted to play up the conflicts, they would put everyone together during the pit stops and show more of that interaction. I'm not sure if they prevent the teams from mingling during the stops nowadays. Imagine the juicy footage they'd have if the teams were allowed to go at it during their downtime. Of course, if they provided unlimited alcohol, then Whooeee! Ratings Bonanza!

What you see as them being classy, I see as them not being popular enough. IMHO, if TAR's ratings were massive, they would consider doing what you propose: increase mandatory rests to 48 hours and turn those rests into another reality show that would either air on CBS or a Showtime network (somewhat similar they've done in the past with Big Brother where you can watch the people in the house live on one of the Showtime channels, at least in the sense of having a TV venue for fans to watch more of what happens on the show).

If TAR pulled anything close to American Idol or Dancing with the Stars (let's say at least 20M viewers instead of the 10M they get), you can bet your a** they would find a way to add a second hour, most likely with pit stop drama.
post #190 of 1699 Old 03-22-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 329
The focus of the show has always been about the race. It has nothing to do with ratings it is just the nature of the show. Like any reality show they play up all kinds of team turmoil and inter-team dynamics every season. The biggest difference between this show and others is the adventure aspect. This part of the show has always been part of the hook, and it has stayed apart of the core dynamic.
post #191 of 1699 Old 03-22-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Since we are waxing nostalgic .. the reasons I have always liked the show ..

1) Ordinary folks placed in a once in a lifetime (mostly) situation
2) I relate to the show because I can see myself doing it
3) All ages / nationalities / can compete and everyone has a fair shot to win
4) First place winners on each leg are always rewarded ..
5) I can muse about what I would do in that situation
6) Phil is one of the best hosts on air, IMO
7) Interaction with other cultures as well as seeing places I probably will never visit
8) You can pick a team and root for it, and if they get booted, you can pick another

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #192 of 1699 Old 03-23-2011, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
If there's one thing I wish they would add to the series, it would be a post-race show, kind of like what 'Survivor' does.
post #193 of 1699 Old 03-23-2011, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto17 View Post

If there's one thing I wish they would add to the series, it would be a post-race show, kind of like what 'Survivor' does.

Yeah, when it's over, it's definitely over .. always so abrupt ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #194 of 1699 Old 03-23-2011, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto17 View Post

The race does have a post-show exactly like Survivor. You can watch them on CBS's web site. The teams are required to go to a resort where they spend their time there before they have to go back to the reunion at the finish line. I don't think it is as good as Ponderosa but if you like a particular team you can still get more episodes of them.

post #195 of 1699 Old 03-23-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

The race does have a post-show exactly like Survivor. You can watch them on CBS's web site. The teams are required to go to a resort where they spend their time there before they have to go back to the reunion at the finish line. I don't think it is as good as Ponderosa but if you like a particular team you can still get more episodes of them.

Now that I did not know .. thanks for the tip ..

post #196 of 1699 Old 03-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

That's cool. I'll check them out.

I was actually talking about a 'reunion' type show, like the hour show 'Survivor' does after their finale.
post #197 of 1699 Old 03-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had no idea AR has their own "Ponderosa" either.

I did like them showing the scene with the pick up basketball game.

Very rarely do they show any downtime activities. Between planes, trains and even long car trips, they probably have way more downtime then they do racing activities.
post #198 of 1699 Old 03-23-2011, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I suspect the most common "down-time activity" is sleeping. Since you never know how long the stage is going to be, you really need to sleep whenever you get a chance.
post #199 of 1699 Old 03-23-2011, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

There are the "Elimination Station" videos on the web site (previously known as Sequesterville by the Television Without Pity forum dwellers and recappers). Also, the day after the finale, The Early Show does something of a "reunion" with Phil awarding the $1 million check to the winners.
post #200 of 1699 Old 03-27-2011, 04:52 PM

Revised start times for tonight's CBS programs:
60 Minutes (7:17pm ET),
Amazing Race (8:17pm ET),
Undercover Boss (9:17pm ET) and
CSI: Miami (10:17pm ET)

due to CBS Sports live coverage of the NCAA Basketball Tournament/Regional Final.

You are receiving this message because you signed up for CBS Eye-lert messages.

To manage your subscriptions, please log-in at: http://www.cbs.com/eye-lerts
post #201 of 1699 Old 03-27-2011, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 161
TV Notes
CBS Renews 'Amazing Race' And 'Boss'
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - March 27th, 2011

CBS has renewed its two Sunday reality series, The Amazing Race and Undercover Boss, for next season.

The Amazing Race, hosted by Phil Keoghan, is being picked up for a 19th cycle next fall. The recent fall edition of the 7-time Emmy-winning reality series delivered nearly 12 million viewers, matching the prior year's performance, and was up 3% in adults 18-49. Jerry Bruckheimer, Bertram van Munster, Jonathan Littman, Elise Doganieri and Mark Vertullo are the executive producers.

Undercover Boss, which follows high level corporate executives as they slip anonymously into the rank and file of their own companies, is being renewed for a third season. The series premiered last February following the Super Bowl and went on to become the top-rated new series last season. The show has slipped in the ratings in its current second season but has still averaged a respectable 12.3 million viewers and a 3.4/09 in adults 18-49. Stephen Lambert, Eli Holzman and Chris Carlson are executive producing.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/cbs-...race-and-boss/
post #202 of 1699 Old 03-28-2011, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It would have been interesting to know how long they were there and how many cups of tea people drank before they finally got it.
post #203 of 1699 Old 03-28-2011, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Poor Luke! As a non-tea drinker performing that task would have sent me bonkers since to me all tea (and coffee) looks/tastes/smells the same. And nothing like cab drivers in India to mess with the team's placements. Ronald and Christina seemed to have taken a commanding lead with the tea task only to wind up in third place because of misdirections, traffic and cabbies. BTW, even for "Amazing Race" and reality shows on network TV, the plugging of Snapple (and the teams' reaction to been given access to this new flavor) went over the top. Congratulations for finishing first on this leg of our race around the world... here, drink some Snapple.
post #204 of 1699 Old 03-28-2011, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Poor Luke! As a non-tea drinker performing that task would have sent me bonkers since to me all tea (and coffee) looks/tastes/smells the same. And nothing like cab drivers in India to mess with the team's placements. Ronald and Christina seemed to have taken a commanding lead with the tea task only to wind up in third place because of misdirections, traffic and cabbies. BTW, even for "Amazing Race" and reality shows on network TV, the plugging of Snapple (and the teams' reaction to been given access to this new flavor) went over the top. Congratulations for finishing first on this leg of our race around the world... here, drink some Snapple.

Luke is a wimp and nothing but a big baby .. glad to see them go ..

I guess you have not seen the 3 story Coca Cola animated graphic that runs on Idol at times .. as well as the giant coke cups the judges have placed conspicuously in front of them ..

Product placement and on screen / during show graphics are the new wave in commercials .. since apparently so many are skipping regular commercials ..

post #205 of 1699 Old 03-28-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

BTW, even for "Amazing Race" and reality shows on network TV, the plugging of Snapple (and the teams' reaction to been given access to this new flavor) went over the top. Congratulations for finishing first on this leg of our race around the world... here, drink some Snapple.

Yeah, I was going to ask about that. Do legs normally end with a three minute commercial for a sponsor's product? Even Outback Steakhouse's Survivor (brought to you by Sears Craftsman tools for making leaky shelters and Sprint Wireless for taking blurry photos with your cell phone) is more subtle about shoving products into viewers' faces.

post #206 of 1699 Old 03-28-2011, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ Not usually. Only when the first-place team gets a sponsored gift (90% of the time a Travelocity trip for two) is a sponsor usually mentioned. Guess Snapple really wanted to get the word out on that new flavor since the whole leg of the race was built around tea tasting and then seeking out a tea store for the next clue (which means more money for CBS and the production company).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I guess you have not seen the 3 story Coca Cola animated graphic that runs on Idol at times .. as well as the giant coke cups the judges have placed conspicuously in front of them ..

Except for one night in March of 2007 when I first got my 47" HDTV and was testing it I've never seen "American Idol." I only know of the Coke bottles from the "AI" clips Jimmy Kimmel shows on his show.
post #207 of 1699 Old 03-28-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey, if it helps to keep the show on the air, I could care less about the product placements.
post #208 of 1699 Old 03-28-2011, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hey, if it helps to keep the show on the air, I could care less about the product placements.

I don't really care about product placements either .. so Snapple paid to get Snapple placed in the show .. oh, well .. I might even try that Snapple ..

I do care about the graphics that come on during some shows ..

post #209 of 1699 Old 03-28-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
My love of mango chutney and my familiarity with the mexican drink that contains papaya (who's name escapes me at the moment) might have saved my butt in that tea drinking challenge. And I'd need every advantage I could get with my poor sense of smell and taste.
post #210 of 1699 Old 03-28-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I couldn't. I kind of prefer this blatant advertising. If your sponsor wants their product in front of the viewers, don't make it subtle at all. I'm surprised they didn't have people dancing in Snapple bottle costumes there!

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page