AVS Forum banner

'The Amazing Race' on CBS HD

133K views 3K replies 126 participants last post by  hooked01 
#1 ·
From the "Hot Off The Press" thread (top of 'HDTV Programming' page):

TV Notes
CBS Announces Cast For 'The Amazing Race 18'

By StarsEntertainment.com - January 19th, 2011

For the 18th season of The Amazing Race, teams will settle some "unfinished business."

At the end of the 17th season finale, a teaser promo aired for the upcoming season. The trailer says, "They are some of the most memorable, dynamic, and interesting teams ever to run the race. They didn't come in first. Some didn't cross the finish line. But you love them anyway. For these teams, the Amazing Race competition has always been unfinished business."

Amazing Race 18 Cast

Kynt and Vyxsin -- The Dating Goths from season 12; finished in 5th place.

Ronald and Christina -- Father and Daughter from season 12; finished in 2nd place.

Jamie and Cara -- Former NFL Cheerleaders from season 14; finished in 2nd place.

Margie and Luke -- Mother and Son from season 14; finished in 3rd place.

Kisha and Jen -- Sisters from season 14; finished in 4th place.

Mel and Mike -- Father and Son from season 14; finished in 6th place.

Amanda and Kris -- Dating Couple from season 14; finished in 8th place.

Flight Time and Big Easy -- Harlem Globetrotters from season 15; finished in 4th place.

Zev and Justin -- Best Friends from season 15; finished in 9th place.

Jet and Cord -- The Cowboys from season 16; finished in 2nd place.

Gary and Mallory -- Father and Daughter from season 17; finished in 6th place.

Sources: http://www.starsentertainment.com/tv...g-race-18.html and http://www.homorazzi.com/article/the...stin-jet-cord/

See less See more
#1,837 ·
Instead of "blind dates", which is still interesting in it's own way, I would have been more intrigued in seeing a professional matchmaker pairing up the new couples. It would be interesting to see how supposedly "objectively compatible" brand new couples would fair against established couples who came together by other more typical means (met at a bar, introduced by a friend, workplace or other proximate random human encounters, etc.).

#1,838 ·
The couple that was voted out this week just might be the most laid back competitors I can ever remember in the history of this series. Likeable people, but not nearly competitive enough for a competition like this.

PS: hope she finally gets her ring from Mr. "Someday". :D

#1,841 ·
I look at it as a way for the racers to document the show. They can't bring cameras or cell phones normally so it's nice to see they get to have memories of their journey other than what is edited and aired on TV...

#1,842 ·
Strategic selfies could come in handy if there's a memory challenge near the end of the race...

#1,848 ·
Yeah I was not thinking about the usual end memory challenge, just more about reflecting on the experience 5 years later. I just finished watching season 1, and think about how nice it would be for Frank and Margarite to have been able to share their pictures from the Race with their daughter who is now probably old enough to understand what her parents did and is taking selfies herself.

I will be sorely disappointed if the last challenge integrates selfies in some way. Just wait - Ford's going to release a new vehicle that takes selfies as you drive. "Take a selfie from each seat in the vehicle before you can continue the Race."

#1,853 ·
Actually they should let the racers use the phones to take pictures. Those who make it to the end will probably hand hundreds of pics to sort through.

Get with the modern age, they don't prohibit racers from borrowing phones from bystanders or taking notes throughout the race.

#1,858 ·
I am shocked on how good all the teams did on the milk challenge, pour milk in a bowl then do nothing. The teams just knocked that out like they could be all stars.

#1,859 ·
Yeah .. don't know which to root for .. milk challenge or the ice cream challenge from a few seasons back .. ;)

#1,862 ·
Finally had an episode appear on the DVR timer for Friday .. don't know why they took a break .. ? Two weeks .. ??

#1,866 ·
The singing challenge, especially when they got the water dumped on them, was quite funny. :D
Jackie has a hell of a voice on her. I was surprised she didn't pass that on the first try.

Okay, so I admit I'm not a good manual driver, but how the hell do you go on this show without learning how to do so? It would be the one main thing I would practice over and over again if I was picked for this show. That's basic suicide not learning since it's a given most of the cars will be manual over there.

#1,867 ·
.... how the hell do you go on this show without learning how to do so? . . .
The pickup truck I bought for my son to drive when he was in high school came with an anti-theft device (lower RH corner).
If he wanted to drive, he had to learn to drive it... and he did! :)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Vehicle audio Center console

#1,872 ·
Not easy to find a manual car to practice on any more.

Most rental agencies no longer offer manual.

I even called driving schools and they don't have manual cars to teach on.
I'm with Tom on this .. if you've been selected to compete for a million, and you know there is a good chance you'll need to drive a stick, find a way before departure .. at least study the number of on line videos and consider buying a driving game controller with stick and pedals if you can't find a real car .. or find a truck with stick ..

#1,869 ·
Wow, the little blond chick is beyond a PITA. I also want to thank March Madness for making me forget about this being on. Watching it now though on my PC monitor, 27", but my TV is 55", so its a slight downgrade. :crying:

#1,870 ·
49 crates high is the world record, holy cow. I thought at first stacking crates, big deal, then seeing them have to climb them, makes that 49 amazing. With all that, I rather be someone who doesn't need the 500k half.

#1,875 ·
Out of the 13 cars I've owned only two had automatics and one of those was the Sportamatic type. It has been all manual since 1970.

With that said I agree with others here, that any Amazing Race contestant should get some manual shift training prior to race time. It's no secret that this has been a stumbling block in past seasons. Are they not aware of the phrase "To be forewarned is to be forearmed."

Although I hate it when truly competent teams are eliminated by an unexpected turn of events, I have no remorse when the moronic are sent home.