Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 160
From the "Hot Off The Press" thread (top of 'HDTV Programming' page):

TV Notes
CBS Announces Cast For 'The Amazing Race 18'
By StarsEntertainment.com - January 19th, 2011

For the 18th season of The Amazing Race, teams will settle some "unfinished business."

At the end of the 17th season finale, a teaser promo aired for the upcoming season. The trailer says, "They are some of the most memorable, dynamic, and interesting teams ever to run the race. They didn't come in first. Some didn't cross the finish line. But you love them anyway. For these teams, the Amazing Race competition has always been unfinished business."

Amazing Race 18 Cast

Kynt and Vyxsin -- The Dating Goths from season 12; finished in 5th place.

Ronald and Christina -- Father and Daughter from season 12; finished in 2nd place.

Jamie and Cara -- Former NFL Cheerleaders from season 14; finished in 2nd place.

Margie and Luke -- Mother and Son from season 14; finished in 3rd place.

Kisha and Jen -- Sisters from season 14; finished in 4th place.

Mel and Mike -- Father and Son from season 14; finished in 6th place.

Amanda and Kris -- Dating Couple from season 14; finished in 8th place.

Flight Time and Big Easy -- Harlem Globetrotters from season 15; finished in 4th place.

Zev and Justin -- Best Friends from season 15; finished in 9th place.

Jet and Cord -- The Cowboys from season 16; finished in 2nd place.

Gary and Mallory -- Father and Daughter from season 17; finished in 6th place.

Sources: http://www.starsentertainment.com/tv...g-race-18.html and http://www.homorazzi.com/article/the...stin-jet-cord/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1699 Old 01-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
In all the promos I have seen, they showed Brook and Claire (the shopping channel girls from the last season). Looks like they didn't make the cut after all.
post #3 of 1699 Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 AM

Liked: 12
I believe that Brook and Claire said on The CBS Morning Show the day after the last race that Claire was pregnant so they would not be part of the next Amazing Race.
post #4 of 1699 Old 01-19-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Can't wait.

post #5 of 1699 Old 01-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Can't wait.

+1

One of my fav shows. And HD to boot!
post #6 of 1699 Old 01-19-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 81
5 teams from the same season seems like too many. Looking forward to it though.
post #7 of 1699 Old 01-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

5 teams from the same season seems like too many. Looking forward to it though.

Agreed. On both.

Too bad they couldn't round up a season of nothing but 2nd and 3rd place finishers, the folks who made it to the final leg but didn't win.
post #8 of 1699 Old 01-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking forward to it in HD. When does it start?
post #9 of 1699 Old 01-19-2011, 12:07 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor View Post

Looking forward to it in HD. When does it start?

The Amazing Race premiere Sunday, February 20
post #10 of 1699 Old 01-19-2011, 02:44 PM

Liked: 10
Really excited to see former teams come back, always love "all-star" like seasons, plus I've been watching TAR since the beginning. I'm even MORE excited that it'll FINALLY be in HD.
post #11 of 1699 Old 01-19-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I too like former teams to come back, but I am hoping

1.) The idiot Globetrotters are off first. They are idiots who had to quit because one of them was so dumb on a challenge they gave up. Plus it's shameless advertising, nothing more.
then
2.) Mike White and his dad. Sorry, if you've been in School of Rock and do other Hollywood stuff, and your dad Mel White has too, you are too celebrity to be on TAR. This is like Jimmy Johnson on Survivor, hate that too.
then
3.) Jamie and Cara. Jamie is Miss January 2010 for playboy, they need to go (but they are pretty hot though).
then
4.) Any teams with paegent queens.

Basically I am pulling for Margie and Luke (aka the deaf kid and his mom) or Zev and Justin.
post #12 of 1699 Old 01-19-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto17 View Post

Too bad they couldn't round up a season of nothing but 2nd and 3rd place finishers, the folks who made it to the final leg but didn't win.

They could but they chose to. Why do that when you can put on more advertising for the Globetrotters, help Mike White's hollywood career, or put some paegent queens back???
post #13 of 1699 Old 01-19-2011, 04:17 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
Basically I am pulling for Margie and Luke (aka the deaf kid and his mom) or Zev and Justin.
Really? From what I recall, those two were the poorest losers ever. They started out fine but the further they went in the show the more unlikeable they become. The mom was just nasty and pathetic by the end IMO. As a rule it's usually pretty hard to root against a deaf kid, but by the end I definitely didn't want them to win.

ron
post #14 of 1699 Old 01-19-2011, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Really? From what I recall, those two were the poorest losers ever. They started out fine but the further they went in the show the more unlikeable they become. The mom was just nasty and pathetic by the end IMO. As a rule it's usually pretty hard to root against a deaf kid, but by the end I definitely didn't want them to win.

ron

It's just process of elimination. I hate hate hate the Globetrotters and their shameless advertising and idiotic play, hate that Mike White is there, hate that Miss January 2010 for Playboy, and hate any beauty pageant queens.

When I think about it some more, I probably like Zev and Justin more (that's the team where one of them is autistic).
post #15 of 1699 Old 01-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

If you look at the teams a little closer, you can see that they didn't bring back any of the real volatile in-fighting teams. Sometimes you need a little spice to keep the show interesting. It could make for a bland season when everyone is too nice. The closest thing to 'villians' amongst this batch are probably Kesha&Jen vs Margie&Luke who got into a shoving match when they played.
post #16 of 1699 Old 01-20-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Never was a fan of Margie and Luke, they were too pushy/think they deserve it just because Luke is deaf.

Wasn't there a team or two that got eliminated at the very first challenge, as in before they even got to the airport? That just flat out sucks! I recall a couple seasons ago there was a challenge right after the start that involved license plates, team started from the flood control viaducts in Los Angeles. The one team didn't even make it to LAX! I think they should have gotten another shot, although I guess that might not jive with the "all-stars" theme.
post #17 of 1699 Old 01-20-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

Never was a fan of Margie and Luke, they were too pushy/think they deserve it just because Luke is deaf.

Wasn't there a team or two that got eliminated at the very first challenge, as in before they even got to the airport? That just flat out sucks! I recall a couple seasons ago there was a challenge right after the start that involved license plates, team started from the flood control viaducts in Los Angeles. The one team didn't even make it to LAX! I think they should have gotten another shot, although I guess that might not jive with the "all-stars" theme.

Yes, there was a season with that license plate challenge. It was hyped up as having someone eliminated before anything starts, a la several seasons of survivor.

I'm sure you realize that "All-Star" Editions are not really "all-stars" in terms of skill or ability (Whether it be Survivor or TAR). If that was the case, as someone else suggested, everyone coming back for this would be a final 3 from their season or even a previous winner.

Instead we get teams that finished as low as 8th (Amanda and Kris) and 9th (Zev and Justin), and get extremly low IQ teams with their blatant advertising like the Globetrotters.

Thus of course that team eliminated at the license plate challenge would never come back. Not because they aren't all-stars, but because the fans have no connection to them. All-star editions are really fan favorite/villain editions, and a team with 5 minutes of screen time for an entire season won't make the cut.

P.S. No matter how much you dislike Margie and Luke, how can anyone like them less than the Globetrotters? If there is any one team every viewer should root against, it's them. They have no business on TAR, are just advertising (shamelessly I might add), and happen to be dumb and showed it on their season.
post #18 of 1699 Old 01-20-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

If you look at the teams a little closer, you can see that they didn't bring back any of the real volatile in-fighting teams. Sometimes you need a little spice to keep the show interesting. It could make for a bland season when everyone is too nice.

Agreed. It's the old "trainwreck" syndrome. Last season, the "country of London" hayseeds were among the most fun to watch.

Doug
post #19 of 1699 Old 01-20-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Who knows, maybe the asked the license plate team but they weren't able to get a month off work to do the show again. BTW, this is why I consider that type of elimination to be extremely cruel. All these people have made a month long commitment, often at risk of losing a job, and you whack'em before they even get on a plane and go someplace? Brutal.
post #20 of 1699 Old 01-20-2011, 11:57 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:

P.S. No matter how much you dislike Margie and Luke, how can anyone like them less than the Globetrotters? If there is any one team every viewer should root against, it's them. They have no business on TAR, are just advertising (shamelessly I might add), and happen to be dumb and showed it on their season.

Quite simple. Even though the Globetrotter duo were not very good they were entertaining, likable and good sportsmen who were gracious in defeat. On the other hand we had the whiny sourpuss team Margie and Luke who were abrasive, vindictive and poor losers .

What happened pappy, did you go to a Globetrotter game as a child and get traumatized by the "bucket of water trick" or something? I really don't understand your seeming extreme dislike for the them. Clearly they do not have them on the show as an advertisement for the team, but rather because they add viewer interest.

ron
post #21 of 1699 Old 01-20-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Quite simple. Even though the Globetrotter duo were not very good they were entertaining, likable and good sportsmen who were gracious in defeat. On the other hand we had the whiny sourpuss team Margie and Luke who were abrasive, vindictive and poor losers .

What happened pappy, did you go to a Globetrotter game as a child and get traumatized by the "bucket of water trick" or something? I really don't understand your seeming extreme dislike for the them. Clearly they do not have them on the show as an advertisement for the team, but rather because they add viewer interest.

Pappy must also have been rejected by a pageant queen at some point.
post #22 of 1699 Old 01-20-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I really don't understand your seeming extreme dislike for the them. Clearly they do not have them on the show as an advertisement for the team, but rather because they add viewer interest.
No, but clearly the Globetrotters organization has them on TAR for shameless advertising.

My extreme dislike is because they are stupid (they had to give up on a simple non-physical challenge), they are shamelessly advertising via TAR, and they certainly aren't Amazing Race All-Stars by any definition of the term.
post #23 of 1699 Old 01-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Boy, a lot of people are pretty shameless by your standards Pappy.

As far as All-Stars go, isn't it pretty much a given that with regards to reality tv, an All-Star is simply someone that resonates with the fans (for good or bad)?
post #24 of 1699 Old 01-20-2011, 06:21 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, but clearly the Globetrotters organization has them on TAR for shameless advertising.

My extreme dislike is because they are stupid (they had to give up on a simple non-physical challenge), they are shamelessly advertising via TAR, and they certainly aren't Amazing Race All-Stars by any definition of the term.

I don't think all stars has anything to do with it as they are apparently billing the season as "Unfinished Business" anyway. I guess I just don't see the "shameless advertising" thing. People identify with them as globetrotters and they were representing their team. No biggie. And despite their being "stupid", they did manage to make it all the way to the final four before being eliminated...

And what's wrong with Miss January? They nearly won on their previous season. I will say that her partner was a major complainer (not really about the other teams but about the conditions and race in general), but Miss January was a tough minded, serious competitor. Not to mention she's also in outstanding shape

ron
post #25 of 1699 Old 01-21-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think all stars has anything to do with it as they are apparently billing the season as "Unfinished Business" anyway. I guess I just don't see the "shameless advertising" thing. People identify with them as globetrotters and they were representing their team. No biggie. And despite their being "stupid", they did manage to make it all the way to the final four before being eliminated...

And what's wrong with Miss January? They nearly won on their previous season. I will say that her partner was a major complainer (not really about the other teams but about the conditions and race in general), but Miss January was a tough minded, serious competitor. Not to mention she's also in outstanding shape

Their "team?" It's entertainment, sports entertainment (A la pro wrestling), if you will. There was a former WWE diva on a season of Survivor, but I don't recall as much shameless advertising there for WWE as there is for the Trotters.

I don't like Miss January because she's Miss January. Sure there are other reasons to hate Jamie/Cara team, especially on their season when they were extremely intolerant of being in other countries and nobody speaking english, but in the end, she's Miss January 2010. Great to look at, but I don't want her to win. Reality shows are supposed to be for regular people to go do these things and win money. Don't want to see someone who is famous/semi-famous win. That's why I'll take a Margie and Luke win (even if they are really annoying) over a Trotters win any day of the week.

Funny everyone focuses on my trotters and Miss January comments, but not Mike White. Remember him in School of Rock? I do.

post #26 of 1699 Old 01-21-2011, 11:34 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Their "team?" It's entertainment, sports entertainment (A la pro wrestling), if you will. There was a former WWE diva on a season of Survivor, but I don't recall as much shameless advertising there for WWE as there is for the Trotters.

I don't like Miss January because she's Miss January. Sure there are other reasons to hate Jamie/Cara team, especially on their season when they were extremely intolerant of being in other countries and nobody speaking english, but in the end, she's Miss January 2010. Great to look at, but I don't want her to win. Reality shows are supposed to be for regular people to go do these things and win money. Don't want to see someone who is famous/semi-famous win. That's why I'll take a Margie and Luke win (even if they are really annoying) over a Trotters win any day of the week.

Funny everyone focuses on my trotters and Miss January comments, but not Mike White. Remember him in School of Rock? I do.

But pappy, Margie and Luke are famous now too . Or maybe I should say notorious... You know I'd like to say "enjoy the season", but it sounds like you're likely going to hate it, so... hey, have a good weekend!

ron
post #27 of 1699 Old 02-19-2011, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 160
So, it starts tomorrow. Anybody else besides me (and pappy97) excited?
post #28 of 1699 Old 02-19-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

So, it starts tomorrow. Anybody else besides me (and pappy97) excited?

Excited? That may be a little bit overstated. I am eagerly awaiting the destinations in HD, however. Re-tread contestants? Hell, they could use teams of monkeys for all I care.
post #29 of 1699 Old 02-19-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not excited, I'm relieved. This should have been one of the first shows to go HD, not one of the last. So for me, I'm not excited as much as I am screaming "FINALLY!"
post #30 of 1699 Old 02-19-2011, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Looking forward to my first full episode of The Amazing Race.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page