Spartacus: Gods of the Arena on Starz - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 276 Old 02-18-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
No, didn't she get banned from the house or something?

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 276 Old 02-19-2011, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wow, for a prequel, this episode had a lot of surprises. Shame there's only 1 ep left, as this show has been an outstanding fill-in while waiting for S2. Too bad about Doctore's wife, but the way it played out again speaks to the quality writing for this show. A woman determined to do whatever it takes to keep her husband happy consequently kills a woman who should have felt the same. I know some detest the amount of graphic violence and sex on this show, but I for one think they do a good job of weaving a story with those elements in the background.

Here's hoping the last episode is worth of the preceding ones. I intentionally avoided the previews so that I won't have any expectations.
post #93 of 276 Old 02-19-2011, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 331
^^
I really hope this makes it Blu-ray soon, I'd really like to watch it again from the beginning.

Spartacus and this prequel are both very well written & well acted stories. The scenery isn't bad either

While we know Doctore's wife doesn't make it to the time Spartacus arrives, it was still sad to see her end up as collateral damage. Still, she had succumbed to temptation... I was hoping she'd have resisted Gannicus but maybe it was a "one for the road" thing

Looking forward to last episode & like you, I wish there was more. A nice setup for the 2nd season. Only wish Andy Whitfield was still in it. And I'm going to miss John Hannah. All his "jupiter's c*ck" type lines are funny!

Care to speculate on what Batt has in store for Tullius? It should be good

Steve
post #94 of 276 Old 02-19-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought this was the most dramatic episode in a few weeks. So Lucretia had been poisoning Papa Bat's wine without Quintus's knowledge? I was surprised that Quintus didn't go all assault on him at the old arena.

It was interesting how they decided to present her first Crixus interaction as such a tortured duty when we know how she then came to relish their affair. I got a kick out of her fertility interview.

Ashur gets dirtier all the time. It has to be time next week to see how he gets rendered inactive as a gladiator. Do you guys think that he's wearing some kind of fake body suit this season? He was not even close to looking so muscular last year.

I can't imagine a Season 2 without any of these characters. Who can we expect to see again? Doctore, Crixus, Ashur and possibly Lucretia? What will they do all season?

Next week Tulius and the young Lanista must get whacked.

XBL: mmjp08 PSN: mikeny1
post #95 of 276 Old 02-19-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, the last 5 min. pretty shocking. Good episode, didn't realize there is one left. Can't wait!

post #96 of 276 Old 02-19-2011, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeny View Post

I thought this was the most dramatic episode in a few weeks. So Lucretia had been poisoning Papa Bat's wine without Quintus's knowledge? I was surprised that Quintus didn't go all assault on him at the old arena.

It was interesting how they decided to present her first Crixus interaction as such a tortured duty when we know how she then came relish their affair. I got a kick out of her fertility interview?

Ashur gets dirtier all the time. It has to time next week to see how gets rendered inactive as a gladiator. Do you guys think that he's wearing some kind of fake body suit this season? He was not even close to looking so muscular last year.
I can't imagine a Season 2 without any of these characters. Who can we expect to see again? Doctore, Crixus, Ashur and possibly Lucretia? What will they do all season?

By the time we saw Ashur I think it had been some time since he had last trained so of course he would not be in shape any longer (at least this is MOHO).

I think towards the end of the 1st interaction, you culd see her start to "enjoy" it, as if she was surprised that she did. She is trying to serve two purposes, getting pregnant AND self pleasure.
post #97 of 276 Old 02-19-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Ashur gets dirtier all the time. It has to be time next week to see how he gets rendered inactive as a gladiator.

ashur told spartacus that his injury was sustained in the ring with crixus who, he claimed, betrayed him when they were fighting together
post #98 of 276 Old 02-19-2011, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

ashur told spartacus that his injury was sustained in the ring with crixus, who he claimed, betrayed him when they were fighting together

I hope Crixis uses him as a shield.
post #99 of 276 Old 02-19-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My guess is Crixus and Ashur will fight together against two others in the new arena next week. Crixus is all about brotherhood and after seeing Ashur betray his friend he will not assist Ashur in the arena. Karma at its' best

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
post #100 of 276 Old 02-19-2011, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
One more episode left and I have to say how disappointed I am... that it is such a short season. I wish they could have spread out the story a full season.

Great story so far and a some great background on established characters from B&S. My only gripe is that Manu seems to portray Crixus's inexperience by looking slack jawed all season.
post #101 of 276 Old 02-19-2011, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

My only gripe is that Manu seems to portray Crixus's inexperience by looking slack jawed all season.

That's actually pretty funny. lol

post #102 of 276 Old 02-20-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 201
One episode left!

post #103 of 276 Old 02-22-2011, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

I actually thought they were poisoning the father when Lucretia handed the wine to him, especially when she wouldn't let Bati drink any. Then he started hacking at the arena, I was sure he was gonna kick the bucket mid speach.

I'd just like to say... I called it. Although I would have never though that Lucretia had been poisoning him since before he left the first time. He might still be very healthy if it wasn't for her poisoning him in the first place.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #104 of 276 Old 02-22-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

I'd just like to say... I called it. Although I would have never though that Lucretia had been poisoning him since before he left the first time. He might still be very healthy if it wasn't for her poisoning him in the first place.

200 Denari for you!

XBL: mmjp08 PSN: mikeny1
post #105 of 276 Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Hoping for a great finale.. How does one get invited to these wild parties? To quote and change a saying "Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow you will die"

post #106 of 276 Old 02-22-2011, 11:03 AM

Liked: 17
This show has been unbelievable and I can't wait to watch the finale.

Actually I just watched Blood and Sand again from start to finish, although admittedly I should have waited for the finale of Arena. Still, words simply can't describe how thrilling this show is. Just the entire journey. I hate to prejudge but man, I can't imagine the new actor fulfilling the role of Spartacus. Andy was a f*cking legend of note who was born to play Spartacus.

I also can't wait to find out what happens to Ashur in the finale. Does anyone know when Blood and Sand season 2 begins ?
post #107 of 276 Old 02-22-2011, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

This show has been unbelievable and I can't wait to watch the finale.

Actually I just watched Blood and Sand again from start to finish, although admittedly I should have waited for the finale of Arena. Still, words simply can't describe how thrilling this show is. Just the entire journey. I hate to prejudge but man, I can't imagine the new actor fulfilling the role of Spartacus. Andy was a f*cking legend of note who was born to play Spartacus.

I also can't wait to find out what happens to Ashur in the finale. Does anyone know when Blood and Sand season 2 begins ?

I read where they are getting the shooting started shortly. So depending on how hot Starz is to put their hit show back on...maybe late 2011 or Jan. 2012, at a guess.

Personally, I've been disappointed with this short season. The plots are obvious and there isn't any room for surprises. I guess we had to know that going in. I've watched, but really haven't enjoyed like I did S1...and I'm ready for Lucy to retire. Bringing her back...meh.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #108 of 276 Old 02-22-2011, 11:30 AM

Personally I think Lucy should be happy (and lucky) that she was part of this show. I thought she was fantastic in Blood and Sand and her performances have been extremely consistent. No doubt about it, it's the role of her career. The thing is, I don't think we've seen a terrible performance from any actor in either show. It's this degree of consistency that makes these shows so compelling and realistic to watch.

FYI, I don't think anyone who had studied her performances in the prequel and in Blood and Sand would ever imagine she was part of Xena to be honest.
post #109 of 276 Old 02-22-2011, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was interesting how they decided to present her first Crixus interaction as such a tortured duty when we know how she then came to relish their affair. I got a kick out of her fertility interview.

Ashur gets dirtier all the time. It has to be time next week to see how he gets rendered inactive as a gladiator. Do you guys think that he's wearing some kind of fake body suit this season? He was not even close to looking so muscular last year.

Crixus most likely will be in season 2 since historically his character played a major role in the slave revolt with Spartacus.
post #110 of 276 Old 02-22-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:

man, I can't imagine the new actor fulfilling the role of Spartacus. Andy was a f*cking legend of note who was born to play Spartacus.

Not just a new Spartacus, but a new Neavia...and no more John Hannah (the REAL star of the show, AKAIC). The creators have certainly got their work cut out for them.
post #111 of 276 Old 02-22-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Personally I think Lucy should be happy (and lucky) that she was part of this show. I thought she was fantastic in Blood and Sand and her performances have been extremely consistent. No doubt about it, it's the role of her career. The thing is, I don't think we've seen a terrible performance from any actor in either show. It's this degree of consistency that makes these shows so compelling and realistic to watch.

FYI, I don't think anyone who had studied her performances in the prequel and in Blood and Sand would ever imagine she was part of Xena to be honest.

She also has a run on NO ORDINARY FAMILY, starting with the March 1 episode.
post #112 of 276 Old 02-22-2011, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post

She also has a run on NO ORDINARY FAMILY, starting with the March 1 episode.

I wonder how much of her will be exposed on that show?
post #113 of 276 Old 02-22-2011, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Why is that show even on still... ?

post #114 of 276 Old 02-23-2011, 04:14 AM

Quote:

Not just a new Spartacus, but a new Neavia...and no more John Hannah (the REAL star of the show, AKAIC). The creators have certainly got their work cut out for them.

That is problematic. Just imagine the actor playing Crixus decides to do something else or play rugby for the All Blacks....) then the new show is totally screwed.
post #115 of 276 Old 02-23-2011, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post

Why is that show even on still... ?

Because it's harmless. It isn't nearly as bad as 'The Cape', nor is it as boring as 'V', in my opinion.
post #116 of 276 Old 02-23-2011, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Hey guys, do you know when the next season of Spartacus will start? I am already in withdraws knowing this Friday is the last episode.

post #117 of 276 Old 02-23-2011, 05:38 AM

Holy ****! Just found this thread!

Questions I have:

- Is Gannicus character going to carry over in any way to Blood and Sand?

- When will Crixus cut his hair and stop with the savage-stare bit?

- I thought I read Andy, the Threashin, was going to make a brief appearance on Gods.

Great stuff.

(and sorry for the spelling of names. I'm sure I'm way off).
post #118 of 276 Old 02-23-2011, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OconRecon View Post

- I thought I read Andy, the Threashin, was going to make a brief appearance on Gods.

Supposedly, Sparticus (Andy) makes an appearance at the end of the last episode, which is, btw an hour and five minutes long this week.

XBOX: xxx GR1MM xxx
PS3: GR1MM
post #119 of 276 Old 02-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

I wonder if the prequel would have been longer if they knew the original lead wouldn't be back? Because I'm really enjoying the prequel... I just wish it was longer.
post #120 of 276 Old 02-23-2011, 08:03 AM

I couldn't agree more and it seems like there's plenty of room for more Ashur and Crixus story line as well. There are also some Blood & Sand episode #1 gladiators who haven't shown up yet.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page