'Top Gear UK' on BBC America HD - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #271 of 282 Old 03-28-2015, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Bingo! We have a winner.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 282 Old 03-28-2015, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Sadly, the Del Prestons of this world are getting harder and harder to find.

"So there I am, in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at about 3 o'clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass, or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night. So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed. So there's me, and Keith Moon, and David Crosby, breaking into that little sweets shop, eh. Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shop owner and his son... that's a different story altogether. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business, really. But, sure enough, I got the M&Ms, and Ozzy went on stage and did a great show. " -Del Preston.
Very funny...never heard it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
Some of these guys make these demands as a lark to see if people are dumb enough to do it. Just call their bluff.
What if they're not bluffing, then what?

Quote:
I heard when Prince performed at the BBC, he said he wouldn't do stairs or the lift, so they had to have some men carry him up and down the stairs.
You don't really believe that one do ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I don't see why anyone doesn't think the BBC can re-boot this show with another cast of entertaining characters. People move on all the time; change is the operative word in show business. There are a lot of talented, funny guys over there across the pond who could probably step in with their own brand of entertaining schtick and keep the show's light brand of humor chugging along.
They would have to find people who have a car background or it wouldn't be credible: journalists, former drivers, etc.

Quote:
So, here's a name for you. It would be a bold step (primarily because he's not British), but nobody knows more about cars, loves cars more, and is one of the funniest people alive. He might be willing to do it if the schedule was light enough and the travel arrangements could be worked out. (I really don't think he needs the money.)

Gentlemen, I give you... this guy as the new host for 'Top Gear'...!
He is the perfect guy for the AMERICAN version of TG.
The Brits wouldn't buy him IMO.

BTW, Leno does have a YouTube Channel where he, essentially, has his own show based out of his "garage."
I watch it all the time.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQM...L38KPm8kM-4Adg

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
post #273 of 282 Old 03-28-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 478
What if they're not bluffing, then what?

Then the show doesn't go on, the patrons get a refund and they are told right on stage why the show didn't go on. See how many times the performer does that. Oh, and they get no money for the gig. That usually handles it.

Ah yes I do. Came from some one rather high up at the BBC back then. It was told to me directly not hearsay.

Louder is NOT better!
post #274 of 282 Old 03-28-2015, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Told about a guy who renamed himself some unpronounable gibberish and insisted everyone flummox around trying to address him that way, "yes," I do tend to believe it.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #275 of 282 Old 03-28-2015, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
Told about a guy who renamed himself some unpronounable gibberish and insisted everyone flummox around trying to address him that way, "yes," I do tend to believe it.
Gotta be a Saturday....

post #276 of 282 Old 03-28-2015, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I believe there was talks of Leno doing American Top Gear, and he said no way. Jay is a funny and a car guy, but trying to watch a reboot of the UK version with a nicer american guy, wouldnt work. We all want that brash JC
post #277 of 282 Old 03-28-2015, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Funny Mashup

post #278 of 282 Old 03-28-2015, 10:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5l View Post
I believe there was talks of Leno doing American Top Gear, and he said no way.
Can't say I blame him...
Why put himself in a situation where he would constantly be compared to a UK show?

Quote:
Jay is a funny and a car guy, but trying to watch a reboot of the UK version with a nicer american guy, wouldnt work. We all want that brash JC
Unlike JC, Leno doesn't have an acid wit.

post #279 of 282 Old 03-29-2015, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Can't say I blame him...
Why put himself in a situation where he would constantly be compared to a UK show?

Unlike JC, Leno doesn't have an acid wit.
Ive always wanted to see the original ABC or NBC pilot of top gear they did with Adam Carolla. I think Adam Carolla would be JCs American doppleganger. Ive watched Adam on Love Line and The Man Show, hes very boasting and brash. I still enjoy American Top Gear, its another car show, though I wish Adam Ferra and Rutledge would learn to drive like their UK counterparts could. Hammond and May may not have been race car drivers but at least they could power slide a $250k Ferrari with no issue while talking on camera. That and I just miss car reviews
post #280 of 282 Old 03-29-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5l View Post
Ive always wanted to see the original ABC or NBC pilot of top gear they did with Adam Carolla. I think Adam Carolla would be JCs American doppleganger.
The show was never supported well by the $$$ people and the chemistry between the hosts just wasn't there.
IIRC, Carolla has a YouTube Channel devoted to car stuff.

Quote:
I wish Adam Ferra and Rutledge would learn to drive like their UK counterparts could.
Also, their car knowledge seems to be limited.

Quote:
Hammond and May may not have been race car drivers but at least they could power slide a $250k Ferrari with no issue while talking on camera. That and I just miss car reviews
+100000000000

TG's reviews and The Stig was awesome stuff....they will be missed.

post #281 of 282 Old 04-23-2015, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Something afoot?

http://www.theweek.co.uk/62887/jerem...ir-this-summer

post #282 of 282 Old 04-24-2015, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Rumors now are a possible NetFlix show

Former Top Gear producer Andy Wilman has criticised BBC “meddling” in the show and described Jeremy Clarkson’s axing by the corporation as a “tragedy”.

Wilman, who quit the BBC in the wake of Clarkson’s departure, fuelling speculation that the pair will reunite on a rival broadcaster, described Clarkson as an “editorial genius”.
Wilman, who reinvented Top Gear with Clarkson in 2002, is expected to join Clarkson on a new motoring show, likely to be with fellow Top Gear presenters James May and Richard Hammond, with US on-demand service Netflix the frontrunner to land them.
In an article for the new issue of Top Gear magazine, Wilman said BBC executives had initially insisted on having a woman among the programme’s presenters and were worried it was “three middle-class public schoolish type blokes of a similar age”.
He also told how racing driver the Stig was originally going to be called the Gimp.
Wilman said it was a “tragedy … what the BBC has lost in getting rid of Jeremy”.
Departure of long-time colleague fuels speculation that team will reunite on a motoring show for another broadcaster

Wilman met with Clarkson and the show’s other presenters at Clarkson’s west London flat on Thursday, on the same day that the BBC confirmed the producer’s departure.
Wilman said: “It hasn’t just lost a man who can hold viewers’ attention in front of a camera, it’s lost a journalist who could use the discipline of print training to focus on what mattered and what didn’t; it’s lost an editorial genius who could look at an existing structure and then smash it up and reshape it in a blaze of light-bulb moments.”
Wilman told how Clarkson had come up with a new vision for Top Gear after the then BBC2 controller Jane Root axed it 14 years ago.

He said Root gave her full backing to its new incarnation, even when Wilman resisted efforts by senior BBC management to put a woman on the show.
“I’m a big, big fan of the Beeb but, my God, they do stretch your patience when they start applying logic, or to use another word, meddling,” said Wilman.
“Their theory behind a female presenter was that if you want women to watch something, you need women presenting it. I pointed out many times that I was an avid viewer of What Not to Wear, despite Jimmy Nail not featuring in the line-up.”
Of the 6 million viewers who watched Top Gear on BBC2 before its remaining episodes were shelved following Clarkson’s suspension and subsequent axing, around 2 million were women.
Wilman said the programme had interviewed “lots of excellent girls” but “bloke banter was going to become an important part of the show”. He said Root told him: “Fine, do what you think’s best. I’m not fussed either way.”

Current BBC2 controller Kim Shillinglaw, who put many more women on screen during her time as the BBC’s science and natural history chief, has said women will be considered for the show’s reinvention next year.
Wilman said the “BBC meddling department” was also responsible for James May initially losing out on a presenter’s role to Jason Dawe, despite Clarkson backing May, who came on board soon after.
It was also Clarkson’s idea to call the show’s anonymous racing driver “the Gimp”, but Wilman said the first occupant of the white helmet, Perry McCarthy, “told us exactly where we could stick our notion of calling him the Gimp, so we settled on the Stig”.
ambesolman likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming