'Top Gear UK' on BBC America HD - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 68Likes

post #271 of 414 Old 03-28-2015, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Bingo! We have a winner.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 414 Old 03-28-2015, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Sadly, the Del Prestons of this world are getting harder and harder to find.

"So there I am, in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at about 3 o'clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass, or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night. So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed. So there's me, and Keith Moon, and David Crosby, breaking into that little sweets shop, eh. Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shop owner and his son... that's a different story altogether. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business, really. But, sure enough, I got the M&Ms, and Ozzy went on stage and did a great show. " -Del Preston.
Very funny...never heard it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
Some of these guys make these demands as a lark to see if people are dumb enough to do it. Just call their bluff.
What if they're not bluffing, then what?

Quote:
I heard when Prince performed at the BBC, he said he wouldn't do stairs or the lift, so they had to have some men carry him up and down the stairs.
You don't really believe that one do ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I don't see why anyone doesn't think the BBC can re-boot this show with another cast of entertaining characters. People move on all the time; change is the operative word in show business. There are a lot of talented, funny guys over there across the pond who could probably step in with their own brand of entertaining schtick and keep the show's light brand of humor chugging along.
They would have to find people who have a car background or it wouldn't be credible: journalists, former drivers, etc.

Quote:
So, here's a name for you. It would be a bold step (primarily because he's not British), but nobody knows more about cars, loves cars more, and is one of the funniest people alive. He might be willing to do it if the schedule was light enough and the travel arrangements could be worked out. (I really don't think he needs the money.)

Gentlemen, I give you... this guy as the new host for 'Top Gear'...!
He is the perfect guy for the AMERICAN version of TG.
The Brits wouldn't buy him IMO.

BTW, Leno does have a YouTube Channel where he, essentially, has his own show based out of his "garage."
I watch it all the time.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQM...L38KPm8kM-4Adg

I reserve the right to be ignorant, annoying, and just plain stupid...I'm an American.
post #273 of 414 Old 03-28-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 616
What if they're not bluffing, then what?

Then the show doesn't go on, the patrons get a refund and they are told right on stage why the show didn't go on. See how many times the performer does that. Oh, and they get no money for the gig. That usually handles it.

Ah yes I do. Came from some one rather high up at the BBC back then. It was told to me directly not hearsay.

Louder is NOT better!
post #274 of 414 Old 03-28-2015, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Told about a guy who renamed himself some unpronounable gibberish and insisted everyone flummox around trying to address him that way, "yes," I do tend to believe it.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #275 of 414 Old 03-28-2015, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
Told about a guy who renamed himself some unpronounable gibberish and insisted everyone flummox around trying to address him that way, "yes," I do tend to believe it.
Gotta be a Saturday....

I reserve the right to be ignorant, annoying, and just plain stupid...I'm an American.
post #276 of 414 Old 03-28-2015, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I believe there was talks of Leno doing American Top Gear, and he said no way. Jay is a funny and a car guy, but trying to watch a reboot of the UK version with a nicer american guy, wouldnt work. We all want that brash JC
post #277 of 414 Old 03-28-2015, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Funny Mashup

post #278 of 414 Old 03-28-2015, 10:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5l View Post
I believe there was talks of Leno doing American Top Gear, and he said no way.
Can't say I blame him...
Why put himself in a situation where he would constantly be compared to a UK show?

Quote:
Jay is a funny and a car guy, but trying to watch a reboot of the UK version with a nicer american guy, wouldnt work. We all want that brash JC
Unlike JC, Leno doesn't have an acid wit.

post #279 of 414 Old 03-29-2015, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Can't say I blame him...
Why put himself in a situation where he would constantly be compared to a UK show?

Unlike JC, Leno doesn't have an acid wit.
Ive always wanted to see the original ABC or NBC pilot of top gear they did with Adam Carolla. I think Adam Carolla would be JCs American doppleganger. Ive watched Adam on Love Line and The Man Show, hes very boasting and brash. I still enjoy American Top Gear, its another car show, though I wish Adam Ferra and Rutledge would learn to drive like their UK counterparts could. Hammond and May may not have been race car drivers but at least they could power slide a $250k Ferrari with no issue while talking on camera. That and I just miss car reviews
post #280 of 414 Old 03-29-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5l View Post
Ive always wanted to see the original ABC or NBC pilot of top gear they did with Adam Carolla. I think Adam Carolla would be JCs American doppleganger.
The show was never supported well by the $$$ people and the chemistry between the hosts just wasn't there.
IIRC, Carolla has a YouTube Channel devoted to car stuff.

Quote:
I wish Adam Ferra and Rutledge would learn to drive like their UK counterparts could.
Also, their car knowledge seems to be limited.

Quote:
Hammond and May may not have been race car drivers but at least they could power slide a $250k Ferrari with no issue while talking on camera. That and I just miss car reviews
+100000000000

TG's reviews and The Stig was awesome stuff....they will be missed.

post #281 of 414 Old 04-23-2015, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Something afoot?

http://www.theweek.co.uk/62887/jerem...ir-this-summer

post #282 of 414 Old 04-24-2015, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Rumors now are a possible NetFlix show

Former Top Gear producer Andy Wilman has criticised BBC “meddling” in the show and described Jeremy Clarkson’s axing by the corporation as a “tragedy”.

Wilman, who quit the BBC in the wake of Clarkson’s departure, fuelling speculation that the pair will reunite on a rival broadcaster, described Clarkson as an “editorial genius”.
Wilman, who reinvented Top Gear with Clarkson in 2002, is expected to join Clarkson on a new motoring show, likely to be with fellow Top Gear presenters James May and Richard Hammond, with US on-demand service Netflix the frontrunner to land them.
In an article for the new issue of Top Gear magazine, Wilman said BBC executives had initially insisted on having a woman among the programme’s presenters and were worried it was “three middle-class public schoolish type blokes of a similar age”.
He also told how racing driver the Stig was originally going to be called the Gimp.
Wilman said it was a “tragedy … what the BBC has lost in getting rid of Jeremy”.
Departure of long-time colleague fuels speculation that team will reunite on a motoring show for another broadcaster

Wilman met with Clarkson and the show’s other presenters at Clarkson’s west London flat on Thursday, on the same day that the BBC confirmed the producer’s departure.
Wilman said: “It hasn’t just lost a man who can hold viewers’ attention in front of a camera, it’s lost a journalist who could use the discipline of print training to focus on what mattered and what didn’t; it’s lost an editorial genius who could look at an existing structure and then smash it up and reshape it in a blaze of light-bulb moments.”
Wilman told how Clarkson had come up with a new vision for Top Gear after the then BBC2 controller Jane Root axed it 14 years ago.

He said Root gave her full backing to its new incarnation, even when Wilman resisted efforts by senior BBC management to put a woman on the show.
“I’m a big, big fan of the Beeb but, my God, they do stretch your patience when they start applying logic, or to use another word, meddling,” said Wilman.
“Their theory behind a female presenter was that if you want women to watch something, you need women presenting it. I pointed out many times that I was an avid viewer of What Not to Wear, despite Jimmy Nail not featuring in the line-up.”
Of the 6 million viewers who watched Top Gear on BBC2 before its remaining episodes were shelved following Clarkson’s suspension and subsequent axing, around 2 million were women.
Wilman said the programme had interviewed “lots of excellent girls” but “bloke banter was going to become an important part of the show”. He said Root told him: “Fine, do what you think’s best. I’m not fussed either way.”

Current BBC2 controller Kim Shillinglaw, who put many more women on screen during her time as the BBC’s science and natural history chief, has said women will be considered for the show’s reinvention next year.
Wilman said the “BBC meddling department” was also responsible for James May initially losing out on a presenter’s role to Jason Dawe, despite Clarkson backing May, who came on board soon after.
It was also Clarkson’s idea to call the show’s anonymous racing driver “the Gimp”, but Wilman said the first occupant of the white helmet, Perry McCarthy, “told us exactly where we could stick our notion of calling him the Gimp, so we settled on the Stig”.
ambesolman likes this.

post #283 of 414 Old 05-05-2015, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Report: The BBC has chosen its new 'Top Gear' hosts

The BBC has reportedly selected its "dream team" for the next season of its hit car show, "Top Gear."

According to the Telegraph's James Rothwell, the trio will consist of model Jodie Kidd, actor Philip Glenister, and television host Guy Martin.

Kidd, 36, is a a noted fashion model and TV personality who currently hosts "The Classic Car Show" on the UK's Channel 5. Kidd is a well-known car enthusiast and has appeared on "Top Gear" twice as guest.

Glenister, 52, has had leading roles on the British TV shows "Life on Mars" and "Ashes to Ashes." The actor currently hosts "For the Love of Cars" on Channel 4 in the UK.

Martin, 33, is a successful TV host and motorcycle racer. He's made nearly a dozen appearances at the prestigious Tourist Trophy motorcycle race on the Isle of Man.

The new hosts will take over for Jeremy Clarkson – removed from the show after nearly 30 years at the helm due to a fracas with a producer – as well as Richard Hammond and James May, both of whom chose not to renew their contracts.

Longtime executive producer Andy Wilman has also left the show.

The BBC has not set a formal date for season 23 of "Top Gear."
post #284 of 414 Old 05-05-2015, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 2552
Not happy, but I guess we will have to wait and see (if we even get the show in the US). Hopefully Clarkson, May, Hammond and Wilman will come through with a new show and we will get it in the US.
What will become of the poor Stig?

This one is for Oink
post #285 of 414 Old 05-05-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Report: The BBC has chosen its new 'Top Gear' hosts

The BBC has reportedly selected its "dream team" for the next season of its hit car show, "Top Gear."

According to the Telegraph's James Rothwell, the trio will consist of model Jodie Kidd, actor Philip Glenister, and television host Guy Martin.

Kidd, 36, is a a noted fashion model and TV personality who currently hosts "The Classic Car Show" on the UK's Channel 5. Kidd is a well-known car enthusiast and has appeared on "Top Gear" twice as guest.

Glenister, 52, has had leading roles on the British TV shows "Life on Mars" and "Ashes to Ashes." The actor currently hosts "For the Love of Cars" on Channel 4 in the UK.

Martin, 33, is a successful TV host and motorcycle racer. He's made nearly a dozen appearances at the prestigious Tourist Trophy motorcycle race on the Isle of Man.

The new hosts will take over for Jeremy Clarkson – removed from the show after nearly 30 years at the helm due to a fracas with a producer – as well as Richard Hammond and James May, both of whom chose not to renew their contracts.

Longtime executive producer Andy Wilman has also left the show.

The BBC has not set a formal date for season 23 of "Top Gear."
Hmmm, OK that lineup is good enough for me to give the new show a chance. I was a big fan of Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes, Glenister is just about a perfect choice. Jodie Kidd... yeah I remember her appearances on Top Gear, she is maybe the best woman out there for the show. I've never heard of Guy Martin, but it takes some gargantuan stones to race the Isle of Man TT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...atal_accidents
post #286 of 414 Old 05-05-2015, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Professional motorsports guy = instant fail.

Doesn't matter if he rides bikes it will have the same effect as adding Foust did to TGUS. The fun is in watching three amateurs fumbling with cars, not a model who races cars as a semi-pro and a guy who has no problem taking a hairpin at 200mph scraping his knees on the floor.
ambesolman likes this.

post #287 of 414 Old 05-05-2015, 11:15 AM

If anyone is interested these are the shows Jodie Kidd and Philip Glenister are currently hosting.

Jodie Kidd currently hosting The Classic Car Show on Channel 5 UK

Philip Glenister currently hosting For the Love of Cars on Channel 4 UK

post #288 of 414 Old 05-05-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Doesn't matter if he rides bikes it will have the same effect as adding Foust did to TGUS. The fun is in watching three amateurs fumbling with cars, not a model who races cars as a semi-pro and a guy who has no problem taking a hairpin at 200mph scraping his knees on the floor.

Okay what were Clarkson, May, and Hammond doing in their careers before starting Top Gear? The show hasn't even made it to air yet! I'll wait and actually watch it, and not pretend to be Nostradamus and know the outcome of something yet to happen.
post #289 of 414 Old 05-05-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
Okay what were Clarkson, May, and Hammond doing in their careers before starting Top Gear?
Journalists and radio presenters. None of them have professional driving backgrounds. Clarkson road tested cars on old Top Gear and May actually studied music.

That's why the show chemistry works and it's relatable to a general cross-section of viewers who don't know much about cars. It's three guys with equal inexperience, messing around with cars for laughs, failing on equal terms and all three severely outclassed by Stig who is the only pro driver.

Glenister is the only pick that is relatable in that way. An everyman who likes cars but doesn't really know how to drive them better than anyone else.

The UK already has several car shows presented by pro drivers and none of them come close in terms of popularity or entertainment value.

Last edited by VisionOn; 05-05-2015 at 01:49 PM.
post #290 of 414 Old 05-05-2015, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Okay what were Clarkson, May, and Hammond doing in their careers before starting Top Gear? The show hasn't even made it to air yet! I'll wait and actually watch it, and not pretend to be Nostradamus and know the outcome of something yet to happen.
Before Top Gear (2002-2015) Clarkson worked on Top Gear (1977-2000). May worked for various car magazine's, and then Channel 4's Top Gear wannabe, Driven. Hammond worked for various radio stations before Top Gear.

But none of them were professional race car drivers.

I believe Jodie Kidd is known for doing some racing, but not professionally, and Guy Martin is a pro motorcyclist. IMO I really don't know if that will be detrimental to the show. Yeah TGUSA sucked, but is that really just because they had a pro driver? I doubt it.

Bottom line is, I have very little doubt we'll see Clarkson/May/Hammond for some sort of quasi Top Gear motoring show in a year or less, and maybe, just maybe, the new Top Gear on BBC will also be worth watching. This could work out well.
post #291 of 414 Old 05-05-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
I believe Jodie Kidd is known for doing some racing, but not professionally, and Guy Martin is a pro motorcyclist. IMO I really don't know if that will be detrimental to the show.
As a professional motorsport rider he would come to the show with experience of travelling not only at speed but in high adrenaline events. Nothing is going to phaze him.

Putting May, Hammond and Clarkson in any type of racing scenario, car or high speed racing experience always resulted in comedy because they were out of their depth and you got to see that reaction. Which again is something the audience can empathize with.

A racing expert in a fast car on a track is just another day at work. Tanner Foust was always too good on TGUS and Tiff Needell is never out of his comfort zone on Fifth Gear. Nothing that funny or entertaining for the general public watching guys who know what they are doing just driving a car. Because even when going fast we know they are in control, just like any other pro driver.
ambesolman likes this.

post #292 of 414 Old 05-05-2015, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This is a good article from (now ex) producer Andy Wilman about why the show not only worked, but was massively popular worldwide.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-...and-catch-fire

" That’s where we come in – an hour a week where three badly dressed middle-aged men bicker, fall over and catch fire. An hour a week where nothing is achieved, but the path to nine-year-old escapism is briefly lit up. This is an important service we provide, and therefore essential that being nine should remain a massive remit of our films."

"I was a bit nervous when we transmitted the search for the source of the Nile special last year, because in truth not much happened. It turned out to be one of our most popular and well-received programmes ever, and I’m convinced what people bought into was just watching those three bumble about."

Not being good is the essence of new Top Gear ... "ambitious but rubbish" remember? Add people who are good at this stuff and they've essentially gone back to old Top Gear - competent, and boring.

Last edited by VisionOn; 05-05-2015 at 02:25 PM.
post #293 of 414 Old 05-05-2015, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
This is a good article from (now ex) producer Andy Wilman about why the show not only worked, but was massively popular worldwide.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-...and-catch-fire

" That’s where we come in – an hour a week where three badly dressed middle-aged men bicker, fall over and catch fire. An hour a week where nothing is achieved, but the path to nine-year-old escapism is briefly lit up. This is an important service we provide, and therefore essential that being nine should remain a massive remit of our films."

"I was a bit nervous when we transmitted the search for the source of the Nile special last year, because in truth not much happened. It turned out to be one of our most popular and well-received programmes ever, and I’m convinced what people bought into was just watching those three bumble about."

Not being good is the essence of new Top Gear ... "ambitious but rubbish" remember? Add people who are good at this stuff and they've essentially gone back to old Top Gear - competent, and boring.
Being nine indeed! That's what I loved about this show. I remembered playing with the Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars and the imaginative games and scenarios we would create. These guys got to do that with real cars! Playing soccer with hatchbacks? Jumping a bounce house in an ice cream truck? Brilliant!

I'm afraid that will all change. And if it doesn't, the show will smack of hosts trying too hard to be a bad imitation.
post #294 of 414 Old 05-05-2015, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 416
post #295 of 414 Old 05-06-2015, 11:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
What will become of the poor Stig?

This one is for Oink
There is but ONE Stig....

Quote:

I can't really disagree....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
Yeah TGUSA sucked, but is that really just because they had a pro driver? I doubt it.
No, that wasn't it.
It was because the other 2 guys were so lame as to be unbelievable.
Neither had screen presence or was convincing in their roles.

Also, racing station wagons or bashing junk heaps was as boring as anything I could imagine.

Quote:
A new yellow Z06 and JC....sound like a winning formula to me.

post #296 of 414 Old 05-08-2015, 07:40 PM

Former ‘Top Gear’ Presenters Hold Talks with U.K. Network ITV

http://variety.com/2015/tv/global/fo...90891/#respond

The former stars of hit BBC motoring show “Top Gear,” Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond, and the show’s former executive producer, Andy Wilman, have held talks with commercial broadcaster ITV.

Streaming service Netflix may also be a potential home for the former “Top Gear” team, according to media reports.
post #297 of 414 Old 05-08-2015, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He'll just bag on it and mention some anti American pro British remark.
post #298 of 414 Old 05-08-2015, 11:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
He'll just bag on it and mention some anti American pro British remark.
IIRC, in one show he mentioned he liked the C7.
Also, he does/did own the Ford GT and a Viper.

post #299 of 414 Old 05-09-2015, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
IIRC, in one show he mentioned he liked the C7.
Also, he does/did own the Ford GT and a Viper.
That's true Oink. I just got tired of the "criticizing America and it's cars. Maybe to attract viewers?
post #300 of 414 Old 05-09-2015, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Maybe to attract viewers?
Dunno...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page