'Top Gear UK' on BBC America HD - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2015, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post
Oh really? Did not know that.

I used to say that in elementary when playing duck duck goose. This was back in the late 80s.

Not trying to open a wound but just sharing on how society is. The other changed racist line I remember as a kid growing up was from the original 1968 Planet of the Apes movie. It was when the apes were on horses and preparing to chase down George Taylor the astronaut played by Charlton Heston. The line was , "the only good human, is a dead human"! Substitute "human" with the "N word" and you have what an angry mob said before going out "to hunt and lynch". The story I read was in 1918 a black man shot and killed a white man over payment of wages. The retaliation was to have a lynching and they found a pregnant black woman, and the baby was the object of whom was considered good. I would guess the majority of the masses have no idea and simply repeat what it hears. It was also used to refer to Native Americans.

Last edited by Sharp1080; 03-11-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked: 1338
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
First, I'd be very surprised if we never get the last 3 episodes of the series, otherwise the BBC will be sued for breach of contract from foreign TV networks.
Yes, they will be.

Quote:
I think, most likely, Clarkson/Hammond/May are done with the BBC.
That may very well be.

If the BBC was a private-owned network, we may not have even heard about the "fracas."
However, because it is publicly owned, political PTB can influence what comes next.
BUT the politicos had better be damn careful or the blowback will be enormous.

Quote:
They'll be moving onto another show on another network that is as close to Top Gear as possible to avoid lawsuits.
No problem with that...none of the boys have a contract after this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
It was also used to refer to Native Americans.
IIRC, that is historically accurate, going back 150 years or more.

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Top Gear UK > All haters

PERIOD.

Now gimme back my god damn show! I wait long enough for it every break... !

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
Old 03-11-2015, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 282
The problem is Clarkson sold the rights to the show to the BBC a few years back, so Clarkson/May/Hammond might be able to do another auto show but it would look nothing like Top Gear - the BBC's lawyers would make sure of that.

Given the PC-ness of the BBC and how the BBC likes to bend over backwards for the environmental movement and the general complainers, I suspect that Top Gear is a thorn in their corporate side they would be thrilled to be rid of if it weren't for the substantial financial incentive.

When all is said and done, we may see Clarkson on another show, we may see more Top Gear, but I suspect we won't see what we all know and love as Top Gear again without Clarkson being put on so tight a leash he wouldn't agree to it anyway.

Now we'll never get to see that McLaren/Porsche/Ferrari test.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Old 03-11-2015, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Liked: 2169
While I findT Clarkson annoying as hell and a terrible driver he was quite entertaining. The other two certainly need him to play off. BBC has to realize his personality is what it is but that it's a two edged sword....

How would any company react to an assault on a fellow employee? Would love to know more details about the food forgetting by Mr Tymon if that's the real story....was it one of these silly things in entertainer's contracts like having a bowl of M&Ms but without any red ones?
Old 03-12-2015, 12:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
The problem is Clarkson sold the rights to the show to the BBC a few years back, so Clarkson/May/Hammond might be able to do another auto show but it would look nothing like Top Gear - the BBC's lawyers would make sure of that.

Given the PC-ness of the BBC and how the BBC likes to bend over backwards for the environmental movement and the general complainers, I suspect that Top Gear is a thorn in their corporate side they would be thrilled to be rid of if it weren't for the substantial financial incentive.

When all is said and done, we may see Clarkson on another show, we may see more Top Gear, but I suspect we won't see what we all know and love as Top Gear again without Clarkson being put on so tight a leash he wouldn't agree to it anyway.
The BBC needs Clarkson more than Clarkson needs the BBC.

It seems the PTB at the BBC believe this to be a Penis Battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
BBC has to realize his personality is what it is but that it's a two edged sword....
Exactly.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 03-18-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

My dvr delivered a new episode a few days ago, at least according to the "first aired" info....and currently my dvr says 3/23 is next one. Am I missing something?
Old 03-18-2015, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2078 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Quote:
My dvr delivered a new episode a few days ago, at least according to the "first aired" info....and currently my dvr says 3/23 is next one. Am I missing something?

There hasn't been a new show since the week before last. I think BBCA maybe an episode or so behind so it may be a catchup episode.

Sent from nowhere
Old 03-18-2015, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 796
BBCA air brand new episodes the day after UK broadcast, but this week it was a "new to BBCA" episode. It was another DVD special split into two parts. Next week is the second part of "The Perfect Road Trip 2".

According to the news the BBC has an obligation to provide the required amount of new Top Gear to the worldwide networks that bought the rights or something like that. So they offered them a new DVD special in place of the episodes they cancelled.
Ph8te likes this.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Jeremy Clarkson booked to host BBC's Have I Got News For You
By John Plunkett | Tuesday, March 17, 2015 | theguardian.com

Jeremy Clarkson is in line to make a sensational return to the BBC as a guest host on Have I Got News For You.

Clarkson, currently suspended from BBC2’s Top Gear following an alleged fracas with a producer, has been booked to present the third episode of the new series of the comedy panel show, due to return to BBC1 next month.

Jimmy Mulville, managing director of Have I Got News For You producer Hat Trick, said: “We always have a field day with Jeremy … Maybe we will get the producer on so he can hit Jeremy Clarkson live on television.”

But with Clarkson currently suspended and his altercation with producer Oisin Tymon the subject of an internal BBC inquiry, the presenter’s participation on the BBC1 show must be in doubt.

His appearance, understood to have been arranged before the latest controversy, has the potential to be hugely embarrassing for the BBC, and potentially even more contentious if it airs in the run-up to the general election on 7 May.

David Cameron has expressed his support for Clarkson, describing him as a “great talent” and saying his children would be “heartbroken” if Top Gear was taken off air.

Asked whether Clarkson would be allowed to take part in the BBC1 show, Mulville told a Broadcasting Press Guild breakfast: “I’m about to find out.

“As far as I’m concerned he is hosting Have I Got News For You in early May. The BBC haven’t told me what to do yet. It’ll be an interesting conversation.”

He added: “I think he’s a fantastic broadcaster and I concentrate on that. He’s due to host the third episode.”

Clarkson has been one of Have I Got News For You’s most regular guest presenters, appearing alongside team captains Paul Merton and Ian Hislop a dozen times since Angus Deayton’s departure in 2002.

Hislop revealed last week that he was left with a cut on his face after Clarkson threw a pen at him during the recording of a show in 2008.

“We had to stop recording,” said Hislop. “He refused to believe it was blood. He said it was red biro and then apologised to me afterwards.

Mulville is one of two independent producers, along with Avalon’s Jon Thoday, jointly bidding to buy BBC3 after plans were announced to close the TV channel and take the brand online only.

The BBC declined to comment on whether Clarkson’s suspension, if it were still in force, would cover an appearance on a separate show.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...t-news-for-you
Old 03-18-2015, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
There hasn't been a new show since the week before last. I think BBCA maybe an episode or so behind so it may be a catchup episode.

Sent from nowhere
Ah, didn't think of that. Didn't note the title of the last show, next up is the conclusion of the trip thru Italy from Rome to Capri "The Perfect Road Trip:Italy"
Old 03-18-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

HIGNFY is one of my favorite UK panel shows (but tricky to acquire) and I hope they stick with Clarkson. He's been on the show in the past as a host and he does okay, but the show is notorious for making fun of any guest that has a controversial problem.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Ah, didn't think of that. Didn't note the title of the last show, next up is the conclusion of the trip thru Italy from Rome to Capri "The Perfect Road Trip:Italy"

Yeah those as previously stated are previously released did specials. It puts "new" content on but it's not actually a new episode. Worth the watch if you're a fan and haven't seen them already.

Sent from nowhere
Old 03-20-2015, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 03-20-2015, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The only thing that matters to me is the hypercar shoot-out.
I doubt it was shot (hope I'm wrong!).

The 3 Musketeers stand their ground: "All for One and One for All."

Old 03-20-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
The only thing that matters to me is the hypercar shoot-out.
I doubt it was shot (hope I'm wrong!).

The 3 Musketeers stand their ground: "All for One and One for All."

They didn't get approval until right before this happened so I doubt it's happened yet.

Sent from nowhere
Old 03-20-2015, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
They didn't get approval until right before this happened so I doubt it's happened yet.
If our 3 heroes could put this together it would be one of the most anticipated episodes ever.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 1205
I wonder what the dollar cost for a shootout like that would be. Between depreciation, damage and just the tire cost alone, it can't be cheap. Remember the scratched up Ferrari at the deserted Spanish town? They laughed it off but someone wasn't laughing.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
I wonder what the dollar cost for a shootout like that would be. Between depreciation, damage and just the tire cost alone, it can't be cheap.
The amount of marketing benefit the 3 manufacturers have to gain makes those costs insignificant.

Quote:
Remember the scratched up Ferrari at the deserted Spanish town? They laughed it off but someone wasn't laughing.
True.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
The amount of marketing benefit the 3 manufacturers have to gain makes those costs insignificant.
I get the marketing part, I just don't know how much Ferrari needs to "market". Their production runs are sold out every year regardless. But good on them for stepping up. Hope it finds a way to happen.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I get the marketing part, I just don't know how much Ferrari needs to "market". Their production runs are sold out every year regardless. But good on them for stepping up. Hope it finds a way to happen.
True, but I think the boys kinda shamed Maranello into it a couple of episodes back.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The damage is insignificance compared to the "free" advertising they get. They get to have their car(s) seen by close to 350 million people worldwide. So a few thousand in damages compared to millions in advertising seems to be a good trade off. If it didn't work for them then no one would ever offer their cars for testing.

Sent from nowhere
Old 03-20-2015, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The damage is insignificance compared to the "free" advertising they get. They get to have their car(s) seen by close to 350 million people worldwide. So a few thousand in damages compared to millions in advertising seems to be a good trade off. If it didn't work for them then no one would ever offer their cars for testing.

I get all that. But if there is one brand on earth that doesn't need advertising, it's Ferrari. They are one of the worlds most powerful brand names, and the only one that doesn't rely on volume.

None of that matters anyway, I was just curious as to the cost, not the justification.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I get all that. But if there is one brand on earth that doesn't need advertising, it's Ferrari. They are one of the worlds most powerful brand names, and the only one that doesn't rely on volume.

None of that matters anyway, I was just curious as to the cost, not the justification.
True, but we are talking about Italian pride & ego here.
When the challenge was issued on TG, they simply couldn't ignore it.
Ph8te likes this.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I wonder what the dollar cost for a shootout like that would be. Between depreciation, damage and just the tire cost alone, it can't be cheap. Remember the scratched up Ferrari at the deserted Spanish town? They laughed it off but someone wasn't laughing.
Damage will be covered by insurance like any other vehicle. Plus of course some of the cars come from owners and not the manufacturers. There have been a couple of instances I remember in which famous owners have had their cars damaged while on loan to the show.

As for tires, brakes, scheduled maintenance etc. those will either be covered by the show or the manufacturers will send spares and a team with the vehicle when it's a high-end that they want to see perform on the track. Top Gear isn't just the show, it's also a car magazine and they have a lot of vehicles on test every month.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

As good as it gets:

Old 03-20-2015, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Nice publicity stunt, but that is NOT the Stig. What a cheap costume.

Louder is NOT better!
Old 03-20-2015, 11:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It would appear JC can't go back: