'So You Think You Can Dance' Season Eight - FOX HD - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 840 Old 07-19-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Anyone else looking forward to NPH as the guest judge this week? I'm not a fan of the whole guest judge thing, but I am a NPH fan, so I'm hoping he brings a lot of fun to the evening(s).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 840 Old 07-19-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
Season Four was a humdinger alright, packed with winners and stars. I still think the best dancer that year was Will Wingfield, and so did the other dancers who, to the man or woman, looked dumbfounded when he was voted off in eighth place. His Pas de deux with the wonderful Katee, choreographed by Desmond Richardson & Dwight Rhoden, remains at the top of my list all-time.
Will, in any other season, would have probably have made the finals. He is one of the best technical dancers the show has ever had.
post #453 of 840 Old 07-19-2011, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Please stop, people. Too many bad memories!

...Plus, it makes me realize even more how this season pales in comparison to those past.
post #454 of 840 Old 07-19-2011, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

His Pas de deux with the wonderful Katee, choreographed by Desmond Richardson & Dwight Rhoden, remains at the top of my list all-time.

That was also one of my all time favorites. It's also something that makes the "pull a partner and dance out of a hat" seem ridiculous. Arguably only Katee and Will had the skills to perform that dance. It was the top 10 performance show, the one and only time that Katee & Will were paired and supposedly both their pairing and their getting that dance were random .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #455 of 840 Old 07-20-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I wonder why Desmond and Dwight haven't done any choreography for the last few seasons?

Desmond has performed recently, but IIRC, it's been at least 3 or 4 seasons since the last time they choreographed a routine.
post #456 of 840 Old 07-20-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I didn't remember, but according to Wikipedia they did one last season for Kathryn and Adechike (Chike was eliminated that week). And they did one the previous season for Karthryn and Jakob (I remember that one - it was very good.)

Seems like 1 per season is about their output. But usually it's a pretty good routine.
post #457 of 840 Old 07-20-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Huh. I wonder why I don't recall that they choreographed those routines?
post #458 of 840 Old 07-20-2011, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
After the stinker last week was tonight was miles better.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #459 of 840 Old 07-20-2011, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Clarice must be wanting to kick the producers in the junk about now.

She finally gets to dance with someone other than Jess, gets lucky and gets Robert. Robert comes right out and says he finds her hot. They make a great looking couple and have pheromones pouring off of them in waves. And they get to dance ..... Bollywood .

What a waste of chemistry.
post #460 of 840 Old 07-20-2011, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW, what happened after the end of Mitchell's Broadway routine until the commercial break. My DVR hiccuped and lost that part of the programming. I think all I missed was Ricky's solo, but I'd like confirmation of that.
post #461 of 840 Old 07-20-2011, 10:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

BTW, what happened after the end of Mitchell's Broadway routine until the commercial break. My DVR hiccuped and lost that part of the programming. I think all I missed was Ricky's solo, but I'd like confirmation of that.

If you saw the judging, I don't think that you missed anything. All of the solos happened before the paired numbers.

This was a great show with several outstanding numbers. I don't think that I'd ever seen Melody before (didn't start watching until Season 3 and she was Season 1). Funny that we were just talking about Rhoden and Richardson and there they are with a new piece of choreography .

I'm guessing that Mitchell will get sent home this week; not sure which of the girls will end up in the bottom, or which other guys.

post #462 of 840 Old 07-20-2011, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

If you saw the judging, I don't think that you missed anything. All of the solos happened before the paired numbers.

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I missed something. I have most of the judging for Mitchell's routine but before the judging is finished I get about a quarter of a second of Ricky standing next to Cat with the the phone number graphics up and then it goes to commercial.

I guess I'll have to watch the whole thing again to figure out if there's anything missing or not.

Quote:

This was a great show with several outstanding numbers. I don't think that I'd ever seen Melody before (didn't start watching until Season 3 and she was Season 1). Funny that we were just talking about Rhoden and Richardson and there they are with a new piece of choreography .

I'm guessing that Mitchell will get sent home this week; not sure which of the girls will end up in the bottom, or which other guys.

Yeah odd coincidence with Dwight and Desmond and I think they managed to get more out of Jordan than anyone else has been able to get out of her.
post #463 of 840 Old 07-21-2011, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Melody did several excellent Broadway routines during that first season, one in particular with Nick who she finished second to. I thought that Tice completely wasted her abilities and let Mitchell down with his pale steal from All That Jazz last night. The very thin vocal track didn't help matters either.
post #464 of 840 Old 07-21-2011, 04:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I thought that Tice completely wasted her abilities and let Mitchell down with his pale steal from All That Jazz last night. The very thin vocal track didn't help matters either.

I think Tyce's output this year has been surprisingly disappointing. I felt his routines tonight were no exception, and disagree with Nigel about the non-Broadway number which I personally felt wasted Allison's great dancing style.

Hands down, best number of the night was Sasha and Twitch! Unbelievable rhythm and performance and synchronization. Astonishing choreography and unbelievable trickery and skill from both of them. Twitch, well I almost expected that kind of performance. But Sasha was like a totally different dancer tonight in that number than anything I've seen her do before. However to be fair I was unimpressed by her thrashing about in her solo, just as I am always turned off when anybody thrashes about in a solo and thinks that is great dancing or choreography (are your ears burning, Kayla??).

Next best of the night... Melanie and Pasha in that Viennese Waltz! Just remarkable. Beautiful costume she wore, and the choreography (and Pasha's strength) just made her look like she was flying. Beautiful to watch.

Bronze medal goes to Marko and Chelsie. He actually danced a samba and looked great! Who knew???

Runner-up goes to Clarice and Robert. I really really enjoyed that one.

Most surprising[ly disappointing]... Jess and Kathryn. Not only did she not look at him once DURING the routine (which I think we were told was intentional in the choreography and story), but she didn't look at him AFTER the routine! In fact, when they were standing with Cat and she finally left, she STILL didn't look at him when he went to kiss her goodbye. Bizarre. Also, that number did not show off her real dancing talents and elegance, and I was unhappy about that.

Good job: Tadd.

Mitchell and Jess in the bottom group. Overall the guys are weaker than the girls this year. Maybe Jordan as well.
post #465 of 840 Old 07-21-2011, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAHayes View Post

Bronze medal goes to Marko and Chelsie. He actually danced a samba and looked great! Who knew???

Marko was danicng that number? I didn't notice.

I agree with you (and the judges, it seemed) that Mitchell drew the short end of the choreography stick and will probably go home for it.

I consoled my wife after the Argintinian tango because for once the costume department had left Pasha's shirt on. So naturally they brought him back for the waltz sans shirt. You can't keep this man clothed for an entire episode! (My wife did not complain.)
post #466 of 840 Old 07-21-2011, 06:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

I'm in the process of "snipping" the performances (for posterity) out of last night's show, and have now re-watched the Sasha/Twitch routine three times.

Simply remarkable. The trick-steps in perfect single-or-double-or-triple-time to the beats of the music was sheer perfection of imagination, choreography, and rendition. That jump up from lying on her back where Sasha ends up bowed over backwards and Twitch somehow (who was also on his back) pushes her up from her neck, and then pops up to land on his feet

I mean Sasha was just a different human tonight... but it was obviously the brilliant choreography and brilliant choice of music ("Misty Blue" sung by Dorothy Moore), along with the unbelievably talented Twitch. I think she even looked different because it's the first time we've seen her in kind of young, casual clothes (girly top, and flared jeans)!! Terrific costuming for both of them.

Highlight of the entire season so far, for me. Gonna watch this one again and again.
post #467 of 840 Old 07-21-2011, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 329
The kid gloves have finally come off. It is good to see the contestants work with the All Stars as it raises the level the dancers.

The Bad:

Mitchell really got robbed last night. He was given such a bad number with almost nothing to do that he is almost guaranteed to go home. I feel sorry for the kid. If he was given the number Jess or Ricki got it may have been in the running for the best of the season.

Choreographers who forget where the spotlight should be shinning. Marko and Jordan both seemed to be pushed in the background in favor of their dance partners. Both kept up in terms of performance, but there were some very odd choices on who should be out in front. It is understandable for Marko because of the type of dance he was doing.

The Good

Sasha and Twitch were fantastic last night. One small criticism I have is I wish they were dancing closer together. Other than that it was pretty spot on.

Caitlynn: Sort of came into her own last night. Not to knock Mitchell, but I thought the two of them did not really have that spark.

Jess: He has been in a couple of my favorite routines of the season, but in each of them I have desire to see some one else do them. Last night he was in one favorites of the season, and he did a good job. If some one else had been in it I think it could have been fantastic.

Tadd: Some times there are so many moves in a routine it is hard to pay attention to them all in one go. There was some really good work, but as a whole it did not reach the peak I thought it would when it started.

Rick still seems to be too immature for the roles he is given.

Melody's routine was certain flowy and pretty to look at. Technically it may have looked too simple.

Clarice: I have been waiting for her to get to this stage so she could blossom with a stronger partner, but the routine last night while cute did not really do that for her.
post #468 of 840 Old 07-21-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Just watched Melanie and Pasha for the third time again. Just wonderful, and the lighting, "flying camera", and wispy garments just added to the ethereal lightness and elegance of the whole waltz. He is such a wonderful and strong partner.

But she is absolutely the BEST dancer of the entire group. Beautiful posture, beautiful arm and hand positions and leg extension, just lovely. I wonder what she'll look like when they throw some other style at her that is just so un-like her.

I keep seeing Betty Boop. She's kind of Heather Morris class, far outshining the rest of the cast. It's gonna be her and Sasha in the end on the female side.
post #469 of 840 Old 07-21-2011, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm in the minority, but Sasha and Melanie are not my favorite girls. I'm hoping Caitlyn or Clarice continue to improve.

The waltz was nice, but the lighting, wispy garments, and flying camera angles are the same as ever waltz they ahve done for the past couple seasons. I enjoyed watching it, but it didn't impress me as much as some of the other dances.

I dind't vote last night, but if I had I would have been voting for Mitchel. I felt sorry for the poor guy with the routine he got stuck with.
post #470 of 840 Old 07-21-2011, 07:57 AM

Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

I think Tyce's output this year has been surprisingly disappointing.

Agree, 100%. While the non-entertaining NPH was the most worthless judge this season (excluding Clueless Carmen) I was overjoyed to see him openly call Tyce out on the Broadway number. The piece DID look incredibly uninspired and "thrown together." We got a huge kick out of Nigel turning to Tyce with a forced and feigned laugh and seeing Mary's face clearly contont into an uncomforatable, "Urmmm, did Neil just REALLY say that?" look.

They tried desperately to cover it up, blah-blahing on and on about how Mitchell supposedly smiled too much, but the "damage" was already done. It was also interesting that NPH went out of his way to give kudos to each and every other choreographer (including Tyce #2) if even for a brief moment.

It's as if Tyce thinks that he's "the kind of choreographer that comes along once in a million years" and is therefore untouchable. Sorry pal, but nobody should be above criticism, particularly when it's that blatantly deserved!
post #471 of 840 Old 07-21-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Loved the hip hop numbers and Melanie's. Agreed about Tyce. His dances are just blahhhhhh. NPH was also quite blahhhh. Here's hoping Lady Gaga provides a much needed spark in the third judge's seat.
post #472 of 840 Old 07-21-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought NPH was fine for a celebrity judge. I liked Jesse the best of them so far, but he was far better than Miss Dance Ohio and some of the others.
post #473 of 840 Old 07-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I don't get the Melanie love. She seems at one level for me. I thought her solo was pretty traditional and somewhat boring. I think Sasha has her beat hands down. Her solo had great musicality and story, her twitch number was the best of the evening.
My wife was all over Melanie in the beginning and she is also waning and switching over to Sasha.

I also agree Kathryn did not help Jess situation and probably hurt it.

They seem to be all over the place with all stars. First year they had them walk off right away after the dance. Last year they stayed during the critique. This year they get a brief shout out and then they leave.

I have stay that nobody works her head of hair like Chelsie.

I thought NPH was pretty good and actually did constructive comments for some of the dancers around the performance aspect of the dance.

I agree Mitchell got screwed. I also think Desmond the choreographer got screwed by having to work with Jordan. She is one of the weaker dancers. She does mostly poses and the leg lift.
post #474 of 840 Old 07-21-2011, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post

Jordan. She is one of the weaker dancers. She does mostly poses and the leg lift.

I think she has a quota of 8 leg lifts per routine. It's getting old. Simon even mentioned it and she still does it just as much as earlier.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #475 of 840 Old 07-21-2011, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Just watched Melanie and Pasha for the third time again. Just wonderful, and the lighting, "flying camera", and wispy garments just added to the ethereal lightness and elegance of the whole waltz. He is such a wonderful and strong partner.

But she is absolutely the BEST dancer of the entire group. Beautiful posture, beautiful arm and hand positions and leg extension, just lovely. I wonder what she'll look like when they throw some other style at her that is just so un-like her.

I keep seeing Betty Boop. She's kind of Heather Morris class, far outshining the rest of the cast. It's gonna be her and Sasha in the end on the female side.

Couldn't agree more on all counts. As soon as she and Pasha executed their first two lifts, I texted my daughter with : "She's gliding on the lifts". Her ability to launch herself into a lift with such grace was amazing. I can't imagine that Pasha wasn't beaming when, in rehearsal, he saw what he had in a partner. She made his job so much easier and if the routine looked simple it was because their flawless technique masked the difficulty of the routine. The Jidges clearly agreed although they may want to tamp the effusive praise down a tad. Sometimes that can backfire on a contestant.
post #476 of 840 Old 07-21-2011, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Wadsworth View Post

I thought NPH was fine for a celebrity judge. I liked Jesse the best of them so far, but he was far better than Miss Dance Ohio and some of the others.

Every other former Miss Dance Ohio would be highly insulted at your putting Carmen Electra in their company
post #477 of 840 Old 07-21-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

For me, Melanie and Pasha's waltz was undermined by all the talk in the pre-package about "her leading him around". Which led me to believe she was actually going to be doing the "leading" and we were going to get yet another waltz where the only "waltz"y characteristics are the costumes and music.

I was also worried that the big size difference between them was going to be an issue.

But neither of those worries came true. They handled the size difference so well that I didn't even notice it during the dance. But it did take me half way through the dance before it became obvious that Pasha was actually going to be doing all the "leading" and I got over all those silly comments about Melanie "leading" Pasha around which didn't happen at all. Not in the "ballroom" sense of "leading" which I was worried about and not really even the less literal "storytelling/performance" sense.
post #478 of 840 Old 07-21-2011, 12:53 PM
PMA

Liked: 12
Has Melanie really been challenged by a genre outside her background? I would have liked to see her do the number that Sasha did with Twitch. I don't think she'd look as good trying that.
post #479 of 840 Old 07-21-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post

Has Melanie really been challenged by a genre outside her background? I would have liked to see her do the number that Sasha did with Twitch. I don't think she'd look as good trying that.

She did do a Nappytabs piece with Marko on the top 16 show, danced to Leona Lewis' "I Got You" (it was the start of the kissing epidemic). They were quite good.

post #480 of 840 Old 07-21-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I have been relatively indifferent to Sasha throughout the competition. My eyes never gravitated towards her in group numbers, for example. I also didn't find her very like-able with her interactions with her original partner (voted off last week, whatever his name was). There certainly wasn't any chemistry there. He was either intimated by her, or he simply lacks the social skills to interact comfortably with the opposite sex. He would try too hard and ended up looking a little silly in the process. And her lack of genuine warmth in return may have put me off in the process. But maybe that's just her natural demeanor or sense of reserve. Anyway, he was a lock for me going home last week and sure enough, he did.

Flash forward to last night, wow, a dynamite routine with Sasha and Twitch. Definite replay-worthy stuff. How much of her fantastic performance can be attributed to the routine itself and how much to her chemistry with Twitch, who knows. The music also helped me get into the routine, for sure (Too many of the musical selections have left me cold this year). Whatever the magic combination, it just worked and she was outstanding. However, while her solo had some novel stuff going on, echoing a previous comment, it ultimately did very little for me.

Jordan did well in her partner number, but her solos are getting tedious for me. And I loved her audition solo and the first few times I have seen her solos. Now, she needs to bring something more. She may be in trouble. If not her, then...

Clarice is on the chopping block for me. She's good of course, just not as good as the women who remain. Watching back 'n forth between her and Robert, she's just not as precise and powerful and compelling in her dancing.

Caitlynn has had some recent strong performances, though I'm still not entirely sure she is better than either Clarice or Jordan. But momentum appears to be on her side.

Melanie's routine w/ Pasha left me a little bored, but I guess it was good. They did make it look easy, maybe too easy and subsequently why I didn't feel it. She's absolutely still #1 for me though. And I think she's completely adorable, even with the thunder thighs.

So, Melanie and Caitlynn is my guess for making it to the top two for the women.

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page