'So You Think You Can Dance' Season Eight - FOX HD - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 840 Old 05-27-2011, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I don't know, probably just me, but I'm just tired of the audition process. I'm going to pull it from my series recordings until they get to the Top 20 in Hollywood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 840 Old 05-27-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

I don't know, probably just me, but I'm just tired of the audition process. I'm going to pull it from my series recordings until they get to the Top 20 in Hollywood.

Since there was nothing new on last night, I gave this show a chance again. Still as dreadful as I remembered. When do they start doing the real competitions? These auditions are as bad and poorly edited as Idol's. You see a girl dance, get her ticket, then run off down the street, only to appear again behind the judges during the next contestants audition. I don't expect much from a Lythgoe production though.
post #33 of 840 Old 05-27-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

You see a girl dance, get her ticket, then run off down the street, only to appear again behind the judges during the next contestants audition.

Yes, the "screaming ticket" part is obviously staged. You also see their parent or other dancers waiting to greet them as they come out, even though the parent was just sitting in the audience. That part doesn't really bother me, though.
post #34 of 840 Old 05-27-2011, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Wadsworth View Post

Yes, the "screaming ticket" part is obviously staged. You also see their parent or other dancers waiting to greet them as they come out, even though the parent was just sitting in the audience. That part doesn't really bother me, though.

Idol has the same type of editing (Lythgoe again). You see a singer audition, run out of the building with their ticket, and then there they are sitting behind Ryan as he interviews another contestant.
post #35 of 840 Old 05-27-2011, 12:06 PM
PMA

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I found it interesting that they told the audience they were in San Francisco for auditions but the Paramount Theater is actually in Oakland.
post #36 of 840 Old 05-27-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Welcome back, SYTYCD! Oh, how I've missed you! (And the awesome discussions we always have in this thread.)
post #37 of 840 Old 05-27-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Has that idiot "Sex" shown up, or has it finally gotten through his (and his mother's) thick skull? One, you have no talent. Two, you're too old (age range is 18 to 30).
post #38 of 840 Old 05-27-2011, 12:49 PM

Liked: 123
Hmmm. I'm not as excited about SYTYCD this year as I have been in the past. Maybe it's because we skipped that gawd-awful "singing competition" this year entirely (best decision EVER) and my brain isn't longing to get the foul imagery out of my head.

Some good dancers last night; certainly entertaining, but nothing that's blown me away so far. It's still early, so I fully expect we've got great things to come. LOVE that Mary is back after the (quiet) cancer bout!
post #39 of 840 Old 05-27-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post

I found it interesting that they told the audience they were in San Francisco for auditions but the Paramount Theater is actually in Oakland.

Close enough for government work--the theater's a 10-12 mile drive from downtown San Francisco and Joe Average would be more familiar with the name San Francisco.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #40 of 840 Old 05-27-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Well it sure didn't take long to make Mary get misty-eyed on the second audition. And with Mary Murphy and Melanie Moore (the perky art major) we sure have the "M"-based alliterations covered this season.

I found it strange it that they only showed one male comtemp dancer's audition (the Park kid) even though they showed several others getting through. The emphasis was very skewed to the girls last night.

If both Melanie and Amber make the finals it should be a really wacky season.
post #41 of 840 Old 05-27-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

LOVE that Mary is back after the (quiet) cancer bout!

Is that why she was gone last season? Yikes. Didn't Mia have something similar with her or someone in her family?
post #42 of 840 Old 05-27-2011, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Since there was nothing new on last night, I gave this show a chance again. Still as dreadful as I remembered. When do they start doing the real competitions?

You've whined about how much you hate this show at the beginning of the last three seasons. Why would you care when the competitions start? You won't watch another episode until the beginning of the next season.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #43 of 840 Old 05-27-2011, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
The tables have turned.
post #44 of 840 Old 05-27-2011, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

You've whined about how much you hate this show at the beginning of the last three seasons. Why would you care when the competitions start? You won't watch another episode until the beginning of the next season.

I keep giving it a chance, and it keeps letting me down. Unlike Ram and SNL, I don't claim SYTYCD was once great but has now fallen on hard times and only tune in to bash it. I actually want it to be good. It just hasnt been. No biggie.
post #45 of 840 Old 05-27-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

Is that why she was gone last season? Yikes. Didn't Mia have something similar with her or someone in her family?

Yeah. Mary was absent due to the cancer last year. I only read about it a few days ago and had never even heard mention of it until then. At first, I found it odd that Nigel didn't give us the reason for her absence last season, but I then came to the conclusion that she likely wanted to keep it quiet until things went one way or another. Seems like she's doing well, so that's great.
post #46 of 840 Old 05-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Yeah. Mary was absent due to the cancer last year. I only read about it a few days ago and had never even heard mention of it until then. At first, I found it odd that Nigel didn't give us the reason for her absence last season, but I then came to the conclusion that she likely wanted to keep it quiet until things went one way or another. Seems like she's doing well, so that's great.

I thought Mary was doing Burn the floor. They were certainly advertising as she toured our area.
post #47 of 840 Old 05-27-2011, 10:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post

I thought Mary was doing Burn the floor. They were certainly advertising as she toured our area.

Just google "mary murphy cancer"--here's one of stories I found. Apparently she had thyroid cancer; she'd known about the tumor for a few years and had surgery in December. The article makes it sound as though she's not going to be able to do all of the loud shouting and screaming that she's known for. We'll see.

post #48 of 840 Old 05-28-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

There is one thing about the audition episodes that I don't like. And it is the "when we come back" segments right before a commercial. They show too much! It's like a spoiler! For instance, we saw every bit of insect boy and the stripper girl so that when they actually came up, there was nothing really new to see. I've gotten to where as soon as Cat says that, I start FFing.

Also....I don't like how they are combining sound bites in these segments. A couple of times they showed a quick clip of an audition that looks good, but then Cat says something like "but will the judges go for it?", then a statement from a judge that appears negative. Then we get to that point in the show and the judge's comment was never said in relation to THAT audition; they loved it all the way.

I was like wait....I thought they were going to say this was a steaming pile of vomit like they did in the promo... Just seems a bit false to combine clips that really had nothing to do with each other.

To end on a positive note, I do like that this show does not glorify the bad dancers like certain other shows do their bad auditions. I mean yes, there are some funny ones, but it is rarely a full segment. They spend their time on the potentials.
post #49 of 840 Old 05-28-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I also dislike those previews, I mean at times it seems like they spend more time telling whats coming up than actually showing new things. Same thing happens on DWTS and I always FF there also.
They did show a few clunkers but I liked how they kept it to a minimum, not like another audition show(that I rarely watch) that seems to linger on the bad....
I also agree with your third point but again the FF button limits the false expectations(except when I forget to push the button fast enough).
ATL sure lived up to it's name, HOTlanta! Many great dancers thats for sure.
Nice to see Mary back but IMO Tyce blows, he seems so egotistical, Lil C' is a bit odd but OK, sure miss Dan Karaty he seemed like a decent guy.
post #50 of 840 Old 05-28-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I also agree with your third point but again the FF button limits the false expectations(except when I forget to push the button fast enough).
ATL sure lived up to it's name, HOTlanta! Many great dancers thats for sure...

I'm not so certain that ATL really had that many good dancers. Again, I wasn't rally blown away by anything I saw. Sure, they went on and on about how 10 in a row made it, but we see this every year; judges go a bit overboard on the first stop of the audition tour. Perhaps they're giddy after the long wait, but every year we've noticed that FAR superior dancers in later stops dont' get the free pass or even a chance at choreography once the eagerness seems to wear off and the audition process starts taking its toll.

I'm not 100% certain that ATL was even the first stop (since it could be edited) but even if such is the case, one can argue that the judges' moods and the overall events of the day can play a large role on who makes it or not. It happens often with this show and elsewhere, but it's human nature. Time will tell.
post #51 of 840 Old 05-28-2011, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:

I keep giving it a chance, and it keeps letting me down. Unlike Ram and SNL, I don't claim SYTYCD was once great but has now fallen on hard times and only tune in to bash it. I actually want it to be good. It just hasnt been. No biggie.

You've heard of Albert Einstein's classic definition of insanity, haven't you?

Fact is, SYTYCD has established a reputation as the very best of these kinds of performance reality shows, with good reason. If you don't agree, then it might be best for you to, you know, stop the insanity.

Loved to see my boy, the Prince of Pontification, the Emperor of Elocution, the Squire of Simile, the One, the Only.... Li'l C back on the show. And he didn't disappoint. I loves me some "C".
post #52 of 840 Old 05-28-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Actually, it's not that different of a situation at all.

I want SNL to be good, too.
post #53 of 840 Old 05-28-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

Also....I don't like how they are combining sound bites in these segments. A couple of times they showed a quick clip of an audition that looks good, but then Cat says something like "but will the judges go for it?", then a statement from a judge that appears negative. Then we get to that point in the show and the judge's comment was never said in relation to THAT audition; they loved it all the way.

I was like wait....I thought they were going to say this was a steaming pile of vomit like they did in the promo... Just seems a bit false to combine clips that really had nothing to do with each other.

It's a common technique used in previews of the next week's episode at the end of a scripted program and ads for the program during the intervening week. They display a bit of one scene followed by some character's reaction that would be shocking if it were in the context of that scene, but when the new episode airs you find out that he or she wasn't reacting to that scene at all . I don't pay attention to that anymore.

post #54 of 840 Old 05-29-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The story I picked up last year was that Mary and Mia hated each other and only one would be present and featured on a show at a time...and it was Mia's year. Does the Mary cancer reveal supplant that take or could both reasons coexist?

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #55 of 840 Old 05-29-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

The story I picked up last year was that Mary and Mia hated each other and only one would be present and featured on a show at a time...and it was Mia's year. Does the Mary cancer reveal supplant that take or could both reasons coexist?

Yeah that was one of the rumors going around last season.

IIRC, Mia said something about wanting to move on to other things to explain her absence this season.

I doubt we'll ever know the truth about it.
post #56 of 840 Old 05-29-2011, 05:36 PM

I could see Mary and Mia hating each other...of course, I could see Mia hating nearly anyone for any reason. While she's brilliant as a choreographer, and I'm sure that there's a real person with a real heart inside, she comes off as THE biggest bitch on TV.*

*If we exclude Tyce.
post #57 of 840 Old 05-29-2011, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

I could see Mary and Mia hating each other...of course, I could see Mia hating nearly anyone for any reason. While she's brilliant as a choreographer, and I'm sure that there's a real person with a real heart inside, she comes off as THE biggest bitch on TV.*

*If we exclude Tyce.

If your inner-self knew you were born to dance, but nature played an evil trick and gave you a massive body ill-suited to the task such that you never got a single paying job dancing, to compensate, you might end up a bit bitchy also.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #58 of 840 Old 05-30-2011, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Dancing is so hard on the body, a dancer's career is so short and uncertain, with fame and fortune relatively rare and small, that I think people who are in dancing are really in it for the love of it. So naturally you get passionate people and people with maybe not the most stable personality or even temperament.
post #59 of 840 Old 05-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Has that idiot "Sex" shown up, or has it finally gotten through his (and his mother's) thick skull? One, you have no talent. Two, you're too old (age range is 18 to 30).

Funny you should bring that up. Wifey and I were in Penn Station one day last month and saw him (with his mother) waiting for a train. Looks just like he does on TV.

Actually, my wife is dying to see him audition again. She really enjoys the "experience". My feeling, however, is that he's gone for good. I'm guessing the producers made a deal with his mother last time: we'll put your son through to choreography if you promise never to show up again.

Oh, well.
post #60 of 840 Old 05-31-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Dancing is so hard on the body, a dancer's career is so short and uncertain, with fame and fortune relatively rare and small, that I think people who are in dancing are really in it for the love of it. So naturally you get passionate people and people with maybe not the most stable personality or even temperament.

Anyone know how Alex (who did that outstanding ballet/hip-hop routine last season with Twitch, before he tore a ligament (or whatever) prepping for an encore) is doing these days?
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page