post #631 of 840 Old 08-04-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I agree with everyone about Caitlyn's solo. It was pretty bland. Cat look great except that there was something weird about her eyebrows. They seemed to be a bit severe to me. When she arched her left eye, I thought she was gonna yell "Can you smell what the Rock is cooking?" Ricky is going to do very well and I would imagine that several contemporary dance companies will be talking to him after the tour. So the final shaped up exactly as everyone predicted (and the show runners no doubt wanted). Should be a great show. Mark is coming back. Guess that Gaga gave him a night off

Have the judges telegraphed their desire for the final 4 this obviously in past seasons? It bugged me on Idol this past season when Nigel very clearly produced a series intended to get Scotty McCreery to the final. Bugs me on a lot of these shows when instead of judging they appear to be campaigning. I can't say I'm upset with the final 4 as it's pretty much what I knew I wanted to see since back around the time there were 14 remaining.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 840 Old 08-04-2011, 10:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 472
As people say, no surprises. I'll bet that, if "America" hadn't given them the the two eliminees they wanted by vote count, they'd have "judged" them out.

I actually didn't like Cat's dress--the design seemed amatuerish and not particularly well constructed. That flowery growth of organza (or whatever) on her right shoulder was hideous. I think that if a contestant on Project Runway had presented that work it would have landed he or she in the bottom .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #633 of 840 Old 08-04-2011, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Have the judges telegraphed their desire for the final 4 this obviously in past seasons? It bugged me on Idol this past season when Nigel very clearly produced a series intended to get Scotty McCreery to the final. Bugs me on a lot of these shows when instead of judging they appear to be campaigning. I can't say I'm upset with the final 4 as it's pretty much what I knew I wanted to see since back around the time there were 14 remaining.

I believe that they have to varying degrees. Sometimes it's blatant and at other times it's more subtle. It's more in the line of "vote shaping" than outright rooting. A well played compliment or a backhanded one can definitely influence the vote either way. Everyone thought that Simon Cowell did this on AI at tmes. Ultimately it's a TV show and casting is paramount to the producers.
post #634 of 840 Old 08-05-2011, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Nothing really to add about the opinions of the dancing and results, so I'll just point out two things:

1. Pretty sure that was Marina Sirtis, aka Counselor Troi from ST:TNG, next to Melanie's mom and grandma? Cool!

2. Pretty sure Kent got some tongue action with Lauren at the end of their dance. Aside from that, I can see why that routine was nominated. The way those moments flow and never stop is really amazing and stands out completely from what we've seen this season. I still hold last season was better.
post #635 of 840 Old 08-05-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

This year was more blatant than in years past. Every week Nigel said that either Sasha or Melanie was his favorite dancer and has told both they would be in the finale multiple times. Sasha is good but the judges have built her statue larger than life.
post #636 of 840 Old 08-05-2011, 09:48 AM
PMA

Liked: 12
I agree that Caitlyn's solo was lackluster. I wonder if the contestants already know their status before we do. It could explain why there was no energy in her solo. Otherwise, she just did not perform as well as Melanie and Sasha last night who both deserve to be in the finale.
post #637 of 840 Old 08-05-2011, 09:54 AM

Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

This year was more blatant than in years past. Every week Nigel said that either Sasha or Melanie was his favorite dancer and has told both they would be in the finale multiple times. Sasha is good but the judges have built her statue larger than life.

Can you imagine what will happen if Marko wins?

Cat: "And the winner is............Marko."

Sad Nigel: "Congratulations. Whatever. Here's your $250K, there's the door."

[Nigel then jumps onto the judging table, starts dancing around like a lemur on crack, and announces that they've decided to give a "special consolation prize" to both Melanie and Sasha in the amount of one billion dollars each. Mary pulls her imaginary train horn and "WHOO-HOO!!!" pierces the eardrums of those as far away as China, even without a TV. Confetti rains down over the two girls and nobody else. Melanie "acts" shocked. Sasha falls to her knees...again, praying to the demon that she sold her soul to for such undeserved praise. Parades are scheduled all over the US. Giant monuments are carved of both girls into mountainsides. National Melanie/Sasha days moths are declared and the postal service takes them off. World peace is achieved.]

Next year, we get even more of the "girls are great, guys suck" blather shoved down our throats from the jidges. Every group number will have the males dressed in a black unitard with a black hood cast against a black, dark background...while the girls all wear glow-in-the-dark, brilliant white, elegant dresses with fireworks shooting out the tail end and big, blue, flashing neon letters on the front stating "GIRLZ RULE!" Billy Bell will be housed with the men in hopes that they all contract the dreaded "Bell Proximity Injury Bug." Every male dance critique will end with "at what you do" backhand.

Yep, more of the same, "unbiased" judgement. Stay tuned.
post #638 of 840 Old 08-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post

I agree that Caitlyn's solo was lackluster. I wonder if the contestants already know their status before we do. It could explain why there was no energy in her solo. Otherwise, she just did not perform as well as Melanie and Sasha last night who both deserve to be in the finale.

On the other hand you might expect the opposite. Knowing its her last solo, she could have gone all out and Melanie could have sailed since she figured she is a shoe in.

As much as I don't like Melanie's "You love me" reactions, she was much more creative in her solo.

As many others have said though this was a pretty lackluster season. Very few performances if any deserve nominations this year. Even the judges seemed to phone it in. Frankly I thought the guest judges were more interesting. I wonder if Nigel's distraction producing Idol and the royal visit had an effect.
post #639 of 840 Old 08-05-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Funny, Spyder. I might vote for Marko next week just to help make that happen.
post #640 of 840 Old 08-05-2011, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAHayes View Post

Speaking of Cat... YUMMMMYYYYYY!!! Wow! She looked like a banana split in that gorgeous yellow evening gown tonight! Do you folks realize she'll be 35 in October?!?!? Sure can't tell it!

Actually, I had sort of assumed she was somewhere in the 38 - 40 age range. 35 isn't surprising though, but I would never have thought she was any younger than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

....... Oh yeah, as for Pia Toscano, I don't think that I could listen to an entire CD of her singing. A good voice but like too many others who try to power their way through a song, it can grate on the ears after awhile.

Her self-intro was pretty cheesy, i.e., striding on stage, "Hello America! This is my new single!". I assume her song was one of those typically generic, 'brought to you by the AI songwriting team!' products. Anyway, her singing seemed a little overly-processed to perfection so I suspect her vocals were being auto-tuned.

On a dancing note, I thought the pro dance company number was just about the worst of the season (whatever their name was, the bunch of guys with the one girl). Not very interesting nor inspiring in any way, shape or form. Well, the dudes were buff, I'll give 'em that much.

As far as the final four results, no surprises there.

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #641 of 840 Old 08-05-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Pia wasn't being auto-tuned. She was doing a really weird mix of pre-recorded vocals and live vocals. The problem being the pre-recorded vocals were much louder than the live ones. Didn't help that there were a lot of instruments being played that weren't represented on stage, which means most of what was being played was coming from the keyboard. In other words - bland, over-processed sh**. Would have preferred to see them have Twitch and Lauren re-enact the hip hop number I saw them do on Youtube, or show off some other emmy nominated dances. It's a dance show, no need to pimp Idol's rejects.
post #642 of 840 Old 08-05-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 166
That was my other thought, perhaps singing along with some sort of backing track. I'm not very good at picking out the use of auto-tune in live settings, but I knew there was something oddly artificial going on there.

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #643 of 840 Old 08-05-2011, 12:08 PM
PMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Wadsworth View Post

Funny, Spyder. I might vote for Marko next week just to help make that happen.

Because I am biased against Melanie, I do plan on voting heavily for Marko. I'd really like it if he won given the judges trying to steer this towards the girls.
post #644 of 840 Old 08-05-2011, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

That was my other thought, perhaps singing along with some sort of backing track. I'm not very good at picking out the use of auto-tune in live settings, but I knew there was something oddly artificial going on there.

Yeah it was weird to me at first and then near the end of the song she moved away from the mic and her vocals kept going and that's when it became clear she was singing over a backing track. A poorly executed one.

Quote:

Because I am biased against Melanie, I do plan on voting heavily for Marko. I'd really like it if he won given the judges trying to steer this towards the girls.

The other thing steering votes to Melanie is the fact that she's far better than the rest of them.
post #645 of 840 Old 08-05-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
If Melanie choreographed those last two solos of hers, then it wouldn't surprise me if she's sitting in the choreographers section along with Travis Wall in a couple of seasons rather than being on stage as an All-Star.
post #646 of 840 Old 08-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Because I am biased against Melanie . . .

Because I am biased against Melanie, I ask my wife to bring me the eye-bleach after each performance........

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #647 of 840 Old 08-05-2011, 12:49 PM
PMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws65711 View Post

because i am biased against melanie, i ask my wife to bring me the eye-bleach after each performance........

+1
post #648 of 840 Old 08-05-2011, 05:39 PM

I realize my last post was harsh, but all I ask is that the judges be FAIR. It would be difficult for anyone to not have their faves, but if their pet turns in a worthless performance, they should call it. Don't slather it up with pleas about images from 4 weeks ago and pretend it's the greatest thing you've ever seen.

Conversely, if someone they don't like brings down the house, they should acknowledge it. Don't downplay it by picking out something idiotic like "one toe wasn't pointed for 1/1000th of a second, so I was left wanting." Don't wait until you're absolutely certain that you've doomed them to give a little credit. "Gee, we just now realized that you're great, now get your ass home. Sorry."

Lastly, it would be great if the jidges didn't make up their minds about who they are going to rave on and on and on about after seeing someone twice in Vegas or two weeks into the competition. These kids can (and do) grow.

Sadly, the pink cell vote is easily brainwashed and blind to being overtly manipulated.
post #649 of 840 Old 08-05-2011, 05:57 PM

Liked: 10
Spider - in general I agree with you about everything, but I have to disagree and say the judges don't make up their minds quite as quickly as you suggest. Last night they replayed a clip of Nygel telling Caitlynn she was his favorite - this was when they picked the top 20 I believe. He changed his mind quickly from that, as I'd forgotten about that entirely given how consistently harsh their criticism of her has been - particularly in recent weeks.
post #650 of 840 Old 08-05-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubateve View Post

Spider - in general I agree with you about everything, but I have to disagree and say the judges don't make up their minds quite as quickly as you suggest. Last night they replayed a clip of Nygel telling Caitlynn she was his favorite - this was when they picked the top 20 I believe. He changed his mind quickly from that, as I'd forgotten about that entirely given how consistently harsh their criticism of her has been - particularly in recent weeks.

A fellow Utahn!

Perhaps you're right, but with these judges, the term "favorite" has zero meaning this year. They use that word more times per episode than Warren Jeffs has underage wives.
post #651 of 840 Old 08-06-2011, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

I realize my last post was harsh, but all I ask is that the judges be FAIR. Sadly, the pink cell vote is easily brainwashed and blind to being overtly manipulated.

I don't think the pink cell phone voting block is as large on this show as it is in American Idol. If so, Kent would have sailed to the win last year. But sadly, it's not just pink cell girls who are easily manipulated by the judges.
post #652 of 840 Old 08-06-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I think that we all agree that there is a certain amount of "shaping" by the judges on this and any other performance reality show but does anyone have any real qualms about the makeup of the Final Four this season? Melanie and Marko have been consistently excellent. Tadd's growth curve for a, for once, truly untrained B-boy has been amazing and while Sasha for whatever reason, seems to rub some the wrong way, she has been a pretty compelling figure. So the question is: if not these four, then who? Maybe Caitlyn for Sasha? Maybe but Caitlyn did, at times, reveal some immaturity entirely consistent with her young age so who else? IMHO, for this season, these are the finalists who should be there. About Melanie, from her first audition in Atlanta I believe, there was something about her that caught my attention. She is clearly a superior dancer but I also think that she's pretty damn cute and I'm a sucker for a well worn pixie hairstyle. Like others, every time she was onstage in a group number, my eyes found her and stayed on her. She may not have a typical dancer's body but those muscular legs allow her to do things that few have been able to this year. Her last two solos really illustrated that. It will come down to her and Marko and I feel that she should and will win but if she doesn't, you will see a thunderous, standing tribute from the judges and the audience that will be memorable. It will be similar the one that Kayla got when, after she was eliminated, she and Kapuno performed Mia's Addiction number again. If you watch the clip, the director switched to the wide camera at the rear of the set and the house lights turned up so your could see the audience, almost as one, up on its feet applauding wildly for her.
post #653 of 840 Old 08-06-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post
I don't think the pink cell phone voting block is as large on this show as it is in American Idol. If so, Kent would have sailed to the win last year.
I don't know that that's true--they favor both the boy whom they'd like to have as boyfriend and the girl whom they'd like to be; I think that it's probably a toss-up between the two. Note that Kent was the runner-up.

post #654 of 840 Old 08-06-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I agree, Cal. This is the appropriate top 4 for this season.
post #655 of 840 Old 08-06-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I just can't get into Sasha.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #656 of 840 Old 08-06-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got around to watching the final episode of Glee from last season and noticed Ryan singing lead for one of the other choirs. Not a bad voice if it was hers.
post #657 of 840 Old 08-06-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just got around to watching the final episode of Glee from last season and noticed Ryan singing lead for one of the other choirs. Not a bad voice if it was hers.

I mentioned that back in this post, given a link to a custom Hulu clip which no longer works for me now that I'm not a Hulu Plus sub.

post #658 of 840 Old 08-07-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

...I dont know who Jamie is, but I'm now a fan...

Then you should watch Jamie and Hok in one of fans' favorite SYTYCD performances of all time - Hummingbird And The Flower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gF_izDK1jY

For me, half the performance of dance is the music and the one above, done to a bit of the exquisite John Williams score of Memoirs Of A Geisha with the violin of Itzhak Perlman, is mesmerizing. Choreographed by Wade Robson, how could this go wrong. Had you and your wife caught year three of the show perhaps your longstanding resistance to the show's charms would have been throttled at the beginning, as mine and my wife's was. Jaime was (is) terrific, but she was a middling performer that year.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #659 of 840 Old 08-07-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Humming Bird and the Flower is still my very favorite dance of the entire series. It is just mesmerizing...

Bobby 

post #660 of 840 Old 08-07-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Humming Bird and the Flower is still my very favorite dance of the entire series. It is just mesmerizing...

Also one of my top 5 of all time. I have a lot of faves, ZERO of which are from this year. Perhaps it's; that the judges are completely unwilling to ever say anything negative to/about the choreographers, Robson has no equal, or they are all just running out of ideas, but I'm really, really hoping for more next season. I've been left incredibly wanting this year.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page