post #721 of 840 Old 08-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

....and I love you. (of course that could really be all of the judges)

"Who are you!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 840 Old 08-11-2011, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Mark Ballas was definitely in audience. They only showed him once, and that was sometime before the completion of the dance routine. I forget exactly when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

My take...
  • Katie Holmes played her part just fine. She was there as a fan of the show and as such she expressed her various feelings over the season.

THANK YOU.

Enough of this whining over the guest celebrity comments. They are there to draw in casual viewers, "oh, look.. it's Lady Ga Ga!.. what's she gonna say?!?", etc. Being disappointed that most of them aren't offering incredible insights is almost entirely besides the point.

The only part of these guest judge appearances that may irritate me a little is just the fact it's yet another person we gotta sit through, mostly saying the same sorts of things about the dancers/routines. I usually turn on the closed captions for the judging and skim read through their comments on low level fast forward.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #723 of 840 Old 08-11-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The complaint isn't that the guest judges spew gibberish. It's that they extend the judging to about 4-5 times the allotted time given to the dance. Reverse that ratio and it would be a better show.
post #724 of 840 Old 08-11-2011, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
No surprise. So Melanie got 47% of the vote and Sasha 32%, no chance at all for the boys. She won by quite a bit. Congrats.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #725 of 840 Old 08-11-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Re: comments about no Emmy nominated routines expected from this season....I would expect Statues, the Wall, and the Circus ones to be nominated.

I know we love to conspiracy theory it up in this thread, and it is entertaining to read, but I really don't think the boys were sabotaged. Were there poor decisions in including disco and step? Yes. However...consider the style of the two same sex routines. Those were not drawn from a hat if you think about it. Would the boys have drawn Stacy and the housewife dance? No. Those were clearly pre-determined. And it was a very poor decision to go with something completely new, and easy to see how a conspiracy theory can develop. But come on, Melanie got nearly half the votes...no way Nigel has that much influence.

I was thinking about the whole "drawing" process and I think Nigel would do well to put the event on their website as a sort of webisode. Not live or anything, but just to show the audience it is done fairly and build a little hype/tease what the upcoming show is going to have.

Best season ever? Nope. Season 7 is my favorite. But this season did have the closest top 4, I thought, and Melanie dominated the whole time. Well deserved.

Been nice talking with you guys about it all this summer. Let's do it again next year!
post #726 of 840 Old 08-11-2011, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

No surprise. So Melanie got 47% of the vote and Sasha 32%, no chance at all for the boys.

Goes a long way in explaining the comment Nigel made last night.
post #727 of 840 Old 08-11-2011, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, there's no way Nigel garnered 80 percent of the vote for the girls. And come on, most of us nailed the final 4 many many weeks ago. Not because of Nigel, but because of the talent on display. Unfortunately for the guys, they were mostly invisible until the allstars showed up. Not sure if its because the girls were that far ahead of them or if its simply because of their tiny stature. There weren't any real men among the final 10 guys except the tap dancer, and he was gone fast. Twitch commands the stage when he's on it, both with his size and bravado. I can't say that about any of the final 10 guys. I don't think I'd have risked Melanie flinging herself full speed at any of the guys in the final 10 like she did with the allstar (sorry, I cant remember his name).
post #728 of 840 Old 08-11-2011, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

The complaint isn't that the guest judges spew gibberish. It's that they extend the judging to about 4-5 times the allotted time given to the dance. Reverse that ratio and it would be a better show.

That didn't even work on PBS (ballroom dancing)... what chance would Fox have?
post #729 of 840 Old 08-11-2011, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

That didn't even work on PBS (ballroom dancing)... what chance would Fox have?

Didnt watch the PBS show, but I'm betting a 3-4 minute hip hop number set to a popular song would be infinitely more enjoyable than a 3-4 minute ballroom number. As far as ratings go, I don't know what Fox can do with SYTYCD. How were the ratings when it wasn't on in the summer? Clearly the day and time it airs isn't the problem since Idol does so well, and I'll bet X Factor does well in that time slot. I'm guessing its because of summer.
post #730 of 840 Old 08-12-2011, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Did anyone have any video problems last night? A few times durin ghte show mine looked like it switched to widescreen-SD for a little bit.

A nice show to end the season, even if the results were expected. The routines they picked as favorites mostly matched up with my own from the season. From the favorite routines, last year was the season of Nappy-Tabbs while this year was Sonya's.
post #731 of 840 Old 08-12-2011, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Wadsworth View Post

Did anyone have any video problems last night? A few times durin ghte show mine looked like it switched to widescreen-SD for a little bit.

A nice show to end the season, even if the results were expected. The routines they picked as favorites mostly matched up with my own from the season. From the favorite routines, last year was the season of Nappy-Tabbs while this year was Sonya's.

Yeah, it was like watching a really good clip show. I couldn't remember ever seeing the geisha dance, so that was new to me and I really liked it. I also liked the tap number that the winner from the British version of the show did. I have to say I'm quite surprised Marko and Tadd only accounted for 21 percent of the voting. I assumed Marko was more popular than that. I'm not surprised Melanie won by such a big margin, but I am surprised that there was such a large gap between Sasha and Marko. Not a fan of Nigel's apology coming after people have already voted.
post #732 of 840 Old 08-12-2011, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Wadsworth View Post

Must have been a local issue, looked great with HD in my market. Such a joy to have real HD now and not the upconverted stuff. Only a few scenes with bad macroblocking, mostly during times of heavy strobes and at the end when the confetti dropped and I could hardly read the titles because of the macroblocking
As bad as Wednesday's night was, last night was refreshing even if it was basically repeats of old routines. Kind of surprised Tadd was #4, I had him picked for a possible runner up if not the top guy, for me it was a total toss-up between the two girls, I had no idea who would win.
post #733 of 840 Old 08-12-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Mark Ballas was definitely in audience. They only showed him once, and that was sometime before the completion of the dance routine. I forget exactly when.

Yes, my mistake. I looked closely at the end of the routine last night as I worked my way through extracting the performance clips from my recording.

I honestly must have dozed for just a few seconds at the end of the dance, because that's all the airtime they gave him. He was indeed there, and shown for maybe 1-2 seconds tops!

But as I originally mentioned, there was nary a comment from any judge that spoke his name. And never a second camera shot.

Oh well.

Nice finale show last night. Cat looked VERY good, it should be said.

I really liked those group numbers that got reprised a second time. The "cirque du soleil" routine really was just perfect, beautiful to look at and danced perfectly. And the "geisha" girls, and the "doors" guys numbers... both superb.

I think Melanie's leap into Neil's arms this second time was even more spectacular than the first time. I think she moved faster this time, if that's possible. I mean, I think he almost looked a bit unprepared for this missile coming at him through the air, but he held up stunningly and it came off without a fumble. Brilliant!

The opening group number was obviously a Sonya number, and I knew it without being told. Typical Sonya choice of music, and typical Sonya "ogre steps" (think "The Garden" with sumo wrestler postures, again and again and again). But it's entertaining.

Now that it's all over, I do think Katee's more lean physique is more appealing than Melanie's as an elegant and all-around dancer for all styles. Melanie is certainly more athletic, and has remarkable body control of arms and legs and hands and feet.

They're both terrific.
post #734 of 840 Old 08-12-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Very good show last night with a good assortment of routines. I was also glad to see the Circus number repeated. It's a beautiful piece. The one sour note: after Nigel makes what appears to be a sincere apology to Marko and Tadd, they play the clip with him dissing them. Not sure what to make of the vote percentages. Melanie getting 47% by herself is huge but clearly deserved. The girls getting 79% between them is beyond impressive but I am surprised that Marko didn't garner more support. He did make a wonderful farewell "speech" which really defined what this show and dance is about. Kudos young man. You are a class act all the way.
post #735 of 840 Old 08-12-2011, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Pretty much as expected, except for Marko apparently getting so little of the vote (21% shared with Tadd??? I'd hate to hear what Tadd got by himself). As results shows go, not too shabby, though I miss Debbie Allen this season--she has that "grande dame de la danse" diva vibe that went so well with the finales.

The dance reprises were nice, except that I don't recall them ever using recorded clips before. It's a shame that they couldn't recreate the make-up for "Turn to Stone", but it would probably have been too hard to clean Melanie up for her dance with Sasha in time. I'd almost would have rather seen a recorded clip, though they did a good job (I still have all of the performance shows on my TiVo, anyway ). I don't know why everyone's so ga-ga over Melanie's leap--it's Neil's catch that amazes me .

Overall, I give the season a "C".

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #736 of 840 Old 08-12-2011, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 44
OK, another season in the books. Now Fox can breath a sigh of relief and get down to important things (AI, NFL, X Factor, Obama bashing, etc.).

For those of you who miss the whining, complaining and other back-stabbing , see you on the flip side in my thread (Dancing With The Stars on ABC - in HD) come September. (new season starts September 19 - teams still to be announced).
post #737 of 840 Old 08-12-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I think I never got over Miranda getting booted way earlier than justified, IMO, due to the dances she was given rather than her ability.
post #738 of 840 Old 08-12-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post
I think I never got over Miranda getting booted way earlier than justified, IMO, due to the dances she was given rather than her ability.
I agree--I think that she could have gone far and should have been top 10 at the least. She was definitely held back by Robert, a weak partner in every genre outside of Hip Hop.

post #739 of 840 Old 08-12-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
... There were what 5 Emmy nominated dances from last year, ....
Actually there were 5 SYTYCD "choreographers" nominated and each had three dances listed.

Which makes me wonder how the heck do the Emmy's actually work?

Does anyone here know?

Is each dance voted on "individually"?

Or are the judges supposed to look at all three dances as a "body of work" and decide which "body of work" is better than the others?

[ed. or something else entirely?]
post #740 of 840 Old 08-12-2011, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post
True that. Miranda left way too soon. She had grown as a dancer even in the brief time that she was around and damned if she didn't get cuter looking as well. Ryan should have gotten the heave ho before Miranda.
post #741 of 840 Old 08-12-2011, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
The dance reprises were nice, except that I don't recall them ever using recorded clips before.

Overall, I give the season a "C".
I don't recall that either. I don't remember the count, but it felt like Melanie was in almost every other routine. Add that with the ones she had to do in the finale, and that is a butt load of routines to practice in a week.

C sounds about right for this season.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #742 of 840 Old 08-12-2011, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Not judging it against other seasons, I give it a B+ for summer entertainment value. There was one awful week early in the season and then a bad finale, but otherwise it was entertaining.
post #743 of 840 Old 08-12-2011, 09:09 PM

Liked: 123
Compared to other years, I give this season an F minus. (F for the season, extra one half grade loss for Nigel's lame-ass "apology" to the guys. I would have preferred he man-up and stand by his finale comments, since they were really no different than anything he'd (backhandedly) said since week one.

This season can only be qualified as an F, since it's BY FAR the worst one yet. That said, this is still better than most "reality" garbage out there.
post #744 of 840 Old 08-13-2011, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

Compared to other years, I give this season an F minus. (F for the season, extra one half grade loss for Nigel's lame-ass "apology" to the guys. I would have preferred he man-up and stand by his finale comments, since they were really no different than anything he'd (backhandedly) said since week one.

I don't want to knock Nigel, as he has brought us the best dance show on TV - and in prime-time, no less, showcasing dance and dancers to many who might never otherwise be exposed to this wonderful art form.
But he needs to make a bigger effort to promote dancing by men. It has been for too long considered not to be "masculine" to dance, and that needs to change. Even on this board the majority of comments ignore the male dancers, focusing almost entirely on the women. So Nigel's recent remarks were more than disappointing. I hope that in the future he'll be more supportive of the guys, who need all the encouragement they can get.
post #745 of 840 Old 08-13-2011, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3193 View Post

I don't want to knock Nigel, as he has brought us the best dance show on TV - and in prime-time, no less, showcasing dance and dancers to many who might never otherwise be exposed to this wonderful art form.
But he needs to make a bigger effort to promote dancing by men. It has been for too long considered not to be "masculine" to dance, and that needs to change. Even on this board the majority of comments ignore the male dancers, focusing almost entirely on the women. So Nigel's recent remarks were more than disappointing. I hope that in the future he'll be more supportive of the guys, who need all the encouragement they can get.

In years gone by, the male dancers have often been cheered on by both the judges and the members of this forum. Kent, Robert and Alex from last season, Russell won season 6 that also had Jacob and Legacy, Brandon, Ade and Kupono from Season 5. Joshua, Twitch and Mark from season 4, Pasha and Hok from season 3, and on and on....

Bobby 

post #746 of 840 Old 08-13-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3193 View Post

It's really difficult swimming against the current of biology on issues like this. Among birds, the male usually has all the fancy plumage and does the courtship dance but among humans it's the female that has all the fancy plumage.

As the old dance saying goes, in a pas de deux "the male is the stem and the female is the flower". So it's not surprising that the females get most of the attention.

Of course. there are exceptions to any rule and as bobby mentioned there have been several males that have stood out over the seasons.
post #747 of 840 Old 08-13-2011, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

In years gone by, the male dancers have often been cheered on by both the judges and the members of this forum. Kent, Robert and Alex from last season, Russell won season 6 that also had Jacob and Legacy, Brandon, Ade and Kupono from Season 5. Joshua, Twitch and Mark from season 4, Pasha and Hok from season 3, and on and on....

I agree with you 100%.
But I think you'll agree that male dancers have to overcome an 'image' problem that females do not have. It takes courage to choose this as your career. (Hip-hop and its various varieties being an exception, as there's a very masculine image associated with this style of dance). They need all the encouragement they can get. To be dismissive as Nigel was does not help.
btw I think it was to his credit that he allowed the comment he was apologizing for to be replayed on the final show.
post #748 of 840 Old 08-13-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Over the 8 seasons of this show, half of the winners have been male and 6 of the runners-up.

post #749 of 840 Old 08-14-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

This season can only be qualified as an F, since it's BY FAR the worst one yet. That said, this is still better than most "reality" garbage out there.

Worse than Six, the infamous lost season with no tour?
post #750 of 840 Old 08-14-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

The results show Greatest Hits night proved there were a lot of quality, entertaining dances over the season. There was also a lot of crap, which extends to the main judges and the guest judges. It also didn't help that there weren't really any manly dancers. Just a bunch of sub 5-5 guys that I would never trust to catch Melanie on her running leap of faith. Kinda sad that my favorite male dancer of the season was Twitch.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page