post #61 of 840 Old 05-31-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

I could see Mary and Mia hating each other...of course, I could see Mia hating nearly anyone for any reason. While she's brilliant as a choreographer, and I'm sure that there's a real person with a real heart inside, she comes off as THE biggest bitch on TV.*

*If we exclude Tyce.

Mia always comes of as honest to me. So I will be sad to see her go. And this rumor seems rather silly. It was pretty clear that Mary was dealing with a personal issue last season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 840 Old 05-31-2011, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've got a prediction.

Considering SYTYCD was one of the first shows to pick up on Lykke Li when they used Time Flies a couple of seasons ago. I predict that they'll use her new song Get Some this season.

And the Time Flies routine for those who've forgotten it.

post #63 of 840 Old 06-01-2011, 10:11 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post

I found it interesting that they told the audience they were in San Francisco for auditions but the Paramount Theater is actually in Oakland.

These talent-style reality shows do this all the time. AI's "New York City" auditions are always in New Jersey. Boston's are held in Foxborough, which is like 35 miles outside of the city. They usually just do the "final" round (in front of the judges) somewhere with good views of the city to get good camera shots and make it look like they are all held there.
post #64 of 840 Old 06-01-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by drocpsu View Post

These talent-style reality shows do this all the time. AI's "New York City" auditions are always in New Jersey. Boston's are held in Foxborough, which is like 35 miles outside of the city. They usually just do the "final" round (in front of the judges) somewhere with good views of the city to get good camera shots and make it look like they are all held there.

That theater in Oakland was definitely close enough that it might as well be considered San Francisco. Like Boston, the actual city of San Francisco is pretty small, surrounded by other towns which form a metropolitan area. I remember that when I lived there, we used to consider everything inside of the I95 beltway to be "Boston"; of course, "we" worked in Shrewsbury and lived in the surrounding towns ). Calling frickin' Foxborough part of Boston is out of line .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #65 of 840 Old 06-01-2011, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Anyone know how Alex (who did that outstanding ballet/hip-hop routine last season with Twitch, before he tore a ligament (or whatever) prepping for an encore) is doing these days?

I had read about a month ago (sorry, I cannot remember where) that someone else (Nigel?) had posted he was 80% recovered from his surgery. Sorry, that's about as bad of 4th hand information as you will get. But if it were the case, I would be surprised if he was ready for a tryout whenever these filmed.

I hope we do see Anthony Burell (NY dancer that barely didn't make it last season) tonight.
post #66 of 840 Old 06-02-2011, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Well I enjoyed the auditions much more without the spoiler-filled "coming up next" segments, which I skipped.

But, dang, Nigel was a little harsh on that girl with amnesia, but maybe I don't need to be sensitive about it on her behalf. She seemed to be laughing along with him.
post #67 of 840 Old 06-02-2011, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by drocpsu View Post
"Hollywood week" on AI is held in Pasadena, which is neither Hollywood nor L.A.
post #68 of 840 Old 06-02-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010 View Post
Funny you should bring that up. Wifey and I were in Penn Station one day last month and saw him (with his mother) waiting for a train. Looks just like he does on TV.

Actually, my wife is dying to see him audition again. She really enjoys the "experience". My feeling, however, is that he's gone for good. I'm guessing the producers made a deal with his mother last time: we'll put your son through to choreography if you promise never to show up again.

Oh, well.
My wife joking said last night "Where's sex?"

Katee, best SYTYCD dancer ever.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #69 of 840 Old 06-02-2011, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post
Katee, best SYTYCD dancer ever.
You are absoultely correct about Katee Sir! Not everyone feels as we do but she is still, to me, the best all-around dancer that the show has ever seen. She made any guy who partnered her dance up to her level and Joshua, in great part, owes his win to her.

Last night's show was very good and the fact that the oddballs (ie: "Ringo Starr's" daughter) and the pure jokes are getting minimal screen time has been refreshing. The last kid, doing hip hop, was great and drop dead funny. The Irish Dancer was a joy to watch as was the chiseled guy who stripped down. One of the most interesting contestants was the Krumper who put up that rough, tuff exterior, did well in choreography and turned out to be a very nice and humble kid. I wondered about Nigel's jokes regarding the amnesia but the kid and her mom seemed to understand that he was trying to keep the situation as loose as possible. Considering what she is going through, she did damn well and I'm sure that she'll be back. The raw talent appears to be there.
post #70 of 840 Old 06-02-2011, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post
My wife joking said last night "Where's sex?"
That's when you should have turned to her and said "he's right here baby"
post #71 of 840 Old 06-02-2011, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
That's when you should have turned to her and said "he's right here baby"
Where were you last night when I needed that? I had a couple of drinks in me, so uh yeah, that's why.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #72 of 840 Old 06-02-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like there might be a chance of having back-to-back wins by Phoenicians with red-headed Aimee making the cut.

But I'm really happy that the cute little ballroom girl made it through. I think she's got a lot of potential.
post #73 of 840 Old 06-02-2011, 12:57 PM

Liked: 123
Too bad the Broadway kid is so young and small-framed. That said, he's incredibly talented and does seem very mature for the tender age of 18. If he can truly get over the "I had braces and don't smile often" factor, I think he has a real shot at winning it all. It's still early, but I thought his routine was by far the most polished and versatile of the tryouts. (Although, like it not, the whacker, aka "Helicopter Girl" had obviously put alot of thought into her performance as well.)

A huge shout out to Joshua for helping Katee get as unbelievably far as she did!
post #74 of 840 Old 06-02-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

.... (Although, like it not, the whacker, aka "Helicopter Girl" had obviously put alot of thought into her performance as well.)

Yeah, but when I think of "Whacking" that's not what I have in mind.

And I think that episode set an unbreakable record for destroying Cat with the "I bruised my balls... of my feet" joke. He had her totally faked out on that one.
post #75 of 840 Old 06-02-2011, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Bring on Vegas week! I hope they dedicate a lot of time to it and not just one episode. Seems like auditions went by really fast this time. Was it the one fall season they had, it drug out forever. Wonder how many they took in all this time.
post #76 of 840 Old 06-03-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Nigel has not changed his "dirty old man" ways. His reaction to the first girl at the L.A. auditions was creepy. He did come up with the best line of the season after a multi-clip setup lamenting the lack of ballroom training among the contestants. "No ballroom? Like Tyce's pants!"
post #77 of 840 Old 06-03-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

[Donning flame retardant underwear and a full oil well firefighter fire suit]

Alexis is both a better dancer and better looking than her sister.

[I'm only partially teasing on this one.]
post #78 of 840 Old 06-03-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I thought Alexis was good, but not spectacular. Then again, I wasn't a big Jeanine fan either.

As for looks, they looked pretty similar to me. At a quick glance across a room, I'm not sure I could tell one form the other.
post #79 of 840 Old 06-03-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

I've got a prediction.

Considering SYTYCD was one of the first shows to pick up on Lykke Li when they used Time Flies a couple of seasons ago. I predict that they'll use her new song Get Some this season.

Thanks for the videos, but I'm sure you are joking about Get Some as music for a routine this year. I would like to see a dance choreographed to that tune though, as I am sure the old letch, Nigel, would too...in private.

I really enjoyed the Time Flies video too, as it reminds me what we have to look forward to when the tedious audition process ends. BTW, I thought they had removed all the SYTYCD Youtube vids?

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #80 of 840 Old 06-03-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

Seems like auditions went by really fast this time. Was it the one fall season they had, it drug out forever.

Yes--it was Season 7, Fall 2009. They auditioned in six cities, in 6 one hour shows, one per week, followed by three weeks of Vegas, followed by a one hour "Top 20 Showcase" show--10 hours dragged out over 10 weeks before the competition began . I came very close to giving up on that season altogether. (To their credit, the competition began the night after the "Top 20 Showcase").

They only auditioned in 5 cities this time over 2 2-hour shows and one 1 hour one, in two weeks. Next week there's 2 hours in Vegas after which I think that the competition will begin.

I think that they realized that the summer is the right time for this program and that that drawn out format was an epic failure. I can't imagine that their Fall season ratings were any good, nor could they have garnered many new fans.

post #81 of 840 Old 06-03-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

Mia always comes of as honest to me. So I will be sad to see her go. .

I don't know. There was the one Debbie Allen-trained dancer (sorry forgot his name) whom everyone loved but Mia couldn't stand. For a long time she stuck to her gun then she reversed herself and said she'd liked him all along and just wanted to stretch him. Fwiw, I agreed with her and thought there was something a bit too precious about him.

In general I like all the judges, quirks and all. Even Thesaurus Man is amusing in his way. Mary and Adam are my favorites,
post #82 of 840 Old 06-03-2011, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

There was the one Debbie Allen-trained dancer (sorry forgot his name) whom everyone loved but Mia couldn't stand.

Do you mean Brandon Bryant from Season 5? Both Mia and Lil' C took a dislike to him at his audition, and both revised their opinions later. He was runner-up to Jeanine Mason.

He wasn't trained by Debbie Allen, though. That was Season 4's Will Wingfield, who did not make it to the final 4. IMHO, he was one of the 4 or 5 most technically competent dancers to compete on this program, though he didn't have the personality to win over "America".

post #83 of 840 Old 06-03-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

[Donning flame retardant underwear and a full oil well firefighter fire suit]

Alexis is both a better dancer and better looking than her sister.

[I'm only partially teasing on this one.]

Quick, foam the runway! Mac is coming in hot
post #84 of 840 Old 06-03-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Do you mean Brandon Bryant from Season 5? Both Mia and Lil' C took a dislike to him at his audition, and both revised their opinions later. He was runner-up to Jeanine Mason.

Yes, that was her insightful "You bug the **** out of me" comment which happened in Vegas. She then accused him of acting phony and arrogant and having a "fake" smile on his face all the time.

I think she changed her opinion once she started noticing that he's a good dancer.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #85 of 840 Old 06-04-2011, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I've got a prediction.

Well, Mac, I certainly think Lykke Li's "Get Some" has the beat, melody and rhythm to make for some very interesting choreography -- particularly if, perhaps, say Sonya got ahold of it. Another hard-hitting female rock song I'd like to see them use this season is "You Make Me Wanna Die," by Taylor Momsen and The Pretty Reckless. Ever since I first heard it about a year ago -- and every time since -- I can't HELP but move to the beat -- and I don't generally even LISTEN to contemporary music of most any popular genre... The ONLY reason I first heard that song (and saw the video) in the first place was that about a year ago one of the rotating news headlines on the AOL Welcome Screen was for a story saying Miley Cyrus wasn't getting fair treatment from the media because there was another young starlet -- both actor and singer, several months YOUNGER than her -- who both dressed more outrageously and regularly engaged in risque behavior: Taylor Momsen. The story had links about her, and I clicked on one, ended up on YouTube looking at her videos and stuff, and was SO mesmerized by that young lady it was FOUR HOURS before I left! I even became a member of her website, although I've been back only once in a year, I think... At any rate, she turns 18 sometime in July, I think (Miley turned 18 last November, I believe), and that will be during Top 10 eliminations, so that might be a good time to either use one of her songs for choreography or have her band on as guest performers. She's incredibly good and I'm SHOCKED by how mature she looks and acts. If you didn't KNOW her true age, you'd think she was 23 or so.

BTW, sorry I'm so late getting here. I have 2 DISH boxes between 4 TVs in the house, with each set up to record the show for the 2 TVs it's hooked up to. But I've spent very LITTLE time down here, by my computer, wher my only DECENT HD setup is in the past week or so, and didn't wanna watch the audtions upstairs, so I just got around to watching the first 5 hours (3 shows) today/tonight.

I THINK I can pick at least A FEW certain Top 20 finalists... Melanie with the short hair; Chyna and Chase (the guy who danced with JUST his black shorts on), POSSIBLY Alexis -- the first girl to audition in L.A. -- BUT I suspect her routine was sort of a "one-trick poiny," and since they didn't put her through choreography she might not prove to be able to learn new material very fast. D.C., on the other hand -- the hip hop dancer who went right after her and got smiles from Twitch and was COMPARED to Twitch by Nigel... Well, even though hip-hop is often very over-specialized, I got the feeling he has such RAW TALENT he'll be able to pick up ANYTHING. Jeanine's little sister... I didn't see what the judges did. I thought she was "OK," but felt she got a ticket to Vegas more as a "legacy gift" than because she was "that good." Of course I could be wrong. The "whack dancer?" I also think she could be a shoe-in for Top 20 if she's as adaptable and flexible as I think she is. If I took the time to go back over the recordings, I may be able to pick out a few more, but those are the ones I see as likely Top 20 contestants right now.

Two other things, by the way...

1. Someone asked how many they sent to Vegas... Mary said 160 at the end of the third show (although it sure SEEMED like they gave away more tickets than that.

2. Ahem, Spyder, you smarmstash, you! You know GOOD AND WELL I'll wait until AT LEAST after the Season 8 Tour passes my area to start thinking about a Season 9 Thread.

Here's to next week and Las Vegas... Looks like it may be a VERY GOOD season!
Jeff

Life is the only constant...

post #86 of 840 Old 06-04-2011, 12:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

The Irish Dancer was a joy to watch

The one audition I went back and watched again, two more times. Glorious how she just floated around the stage, feet flying. Interesting that she was not wearing tap shoes, but rather slippers, so that it was much more akin to Irish ballet... and she was on her toes.

I love that style of dance.

Early front-runner for me: Sasha (of Natali and Sasha, (sp?) the heavy and fit sisters). Remarkable.
post #87 of 840 Old 06-04-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

The one audition I went back and watched again, two more times. Glorious how she just floated around the stage, feet flying. Interesting that she was not wearing tap shoes, but rather slippers, so that it was much more akin to Irish ballet... and she was on her toes.

If you watch closely (and slowly) you can see that they land on different parts of their feet depending on the next move. You have to have really strong feet to move around the stage like that.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #88 of 840 Old 06-04-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I fully expect the young lady from Japan to make Top 20. But you just never know....some of the best auditioners crash and burn during Vegas week.
post #89 of 840 Old 06-04-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

.... Interesting that she was not wearing tap shoes, but rather slippers, so that it was much more akin to Irish ballet... and she was on her toes.

That's what made it work for me.

I can't watch (actually listen) when they wear hard-soled shoes because after about 30 seconds I feel like a drum and bugle corp has been practicing their rim-shot riffs on my forehead.
post #90 of 840 Old 06-04-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

I really enjoyed the Time Flies video too, as it reminds me what we have to look forward to when the tedious audition process ends. BTW, I thought they had removed all the SYTYCD Youtube vids?

Yeah that surprised me too. There's actually a lot of Jacob's routines up. I'm not sure if SYTYCD has just given up on trying to take them all down or if whoever posted all of Jacob's routines mucked around with them so that the automated detection tools wouldn't recognize them.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page