Forum Jump: 

Old 09-29-2011, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

Dinklage didn't just get a nom, he took home the Emmy. I was really bummed when he didn't thank all the 'little people' in his acceptance speech.

Didn't have time, they told him to keep it short.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

And they showed dinosaurs with mottled, colorful skin & not wrinkled lizard green.

Current thinking, backed up by fossil evidence, is that dinosaurs were much more birdlike in appearance than previously thought. Including feathers or precursors to feathers.

I was happy to see the show use a more updated look reflecting what we now know.

They made that point during the publicity push, that the dinos would reflect the latest scientific thinking. They even hired the famous paleontologist Jack Horner, familiar to many from his frequent TV appearances on science-based shows, as a technical adviser.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Didn't have time, they told him to keep it short.

Ouch!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Ouch!

really...

But I am glad he won the Emmy. He deserved it.
He was in Threshold and I liked the role he played in it, too.

back to TN, my wife just reminded me I watch Dr Who, so how silly can TN be
She's right, it's all relative

I'll try hard not to criticize next week's episode.

Steve
Old 09-29-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They even hired the famous paleontologist Jack Horner

I didn't know that but I have seen dinosaur documentaries with him in them. I do recognize the name. We watch a lot of science programming.

Really liked the Wonders astronomy series with Brian Cox and Through the Wormhole. Very thought provoking.

Steve
Old 09-29-2011, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Really liked the Wonders astronomy series with Brian Cox......

I saw someone in a thread here say they had a man-crush on that guy. Me too. He's got this infectious enthusiasm and a way of making arcane scientific concepts understandable and relatable. Kind of like the late, great Carl Sagan in that regard.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:

I think he was talking specifically about science fiction series. I've often said that sci-fi fans tend to "eat their young", insisting on a very high bar and rarely being satisfied with what they see. Very few shows of that genre get the kind of near universal respect as you see for shows like those you mentioned.

That's because by and large the people who write television science fiction and the people who put them on the air don't seem to have any interest or background in science or science fiction or the concepts which they rely on.

They approach it with same level of detail and understanding as they do the usual television landscape of cops and lawyers. They think only as far ahead as they need to, which is passable with real world concepts but doesn't demonstrate the imagination necessary to visualize a world which doesn't exist. So what you are left with more often than not is procedural writer or producer filling out a story with the same level of depth they would any other show. Which leaves gaping plot holes where a background story should be.

As I've said before. if you want to be serious about SF, then you need to be serious about the level of commitment to making the world believable. And that's effort which the majority of TV SF doesn't have the time or inclination to do.

Watching Community makes me believe they have more interest and knowledge of SF than the creators of TN. In tonight's show they resolved the storyline by using the Hadron Collider to build a portal to a parallel Earth. I don't get the feeling that anyone inolved in TN has the same level of enthusiasm for the genre and it's all just about checking boxes.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

That's because by and large the people who write television science fiction and the people who put them on the air don't seem to have any interest or background in science or science fiction or the concepts which they rely on.

Babylon 5 had Harlan Ellison as a technical consultant. Terra Nova has ???

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
Old 09-29-2011, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Not sure if I read your post correctly, but the probe did exist in the original timeline. It was sent from 2149 back to the past. The Terra Novans then followed the probe back in time, recovered it and put it on display.

Their entire supposition that they are creating a new timeline is based solely on the fact that after 85 million years, that probe was not found back in 2149 buried under 85 million years of soil someplace.

blueroom is suggesting that it might be possible that it actually was found, but deliberately destroyed so that the TNs would make no attempt to impact the future.

Or... the power source in the probe didn't last long enough. And in 1870, the probe was discovered in an excavation in India, and crated up and sent to the British Museum, and stored in the basement along with a lot of other relics and curiosities... where it lies to this day. Origins? Unknown ...so far!

Oh jeez. We're out-thinking about a dozen executive producers without half trying. I'm going to watch as much of the rest of this series as I can stand. The show had better improve.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Two for sure were mentioned earlier in the thread: BSG (remake) and 'Firefly'. I'd add 'Dollhouse' and 'Terminator SCC' to that list as well.

The second (and sadly, last) season of Stargate Universe is being shown in syndication now. Despite the musical interludes, that was a very well made show, and strikingly different from the other Stargate shows, which were also good. I'm going to miss it when it's gone.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarg7883 View Post

Oh jeez. We're out-thinking about a dozen executive producers without half trying. I'm going to watch as much of the rest of this series as I can stand. The show had better improve.

What would be interesting to see is the original script for this. It's hard to know if the basic premise was flawed or as is typical over time solid concepts and ideas were watered down by executives and producers to the point where they don't make sense now.

Of course the writer of the original story is the daughter of the writer/director of Hawk the Slayer, so I don't expect realism and scientific accuracy were high on the priorities list.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarg7883 View Post

The second (and sadly, last) season of Stargate Universe is being shown in syndication now. Despite the musical interludes, that was a very well made show, and strikingly different from the other Stargate shows, which were also good. I'm going to miss it when it's gone.

SGU looked far better than TN did. Production design, sets and the CGI looked more plausible, filmic and creative than anything I saw in the $20 million dollars this week on Fox.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Finally got to this tonite.

Overall, a thumbs up (sorta of).

I don't watch a lot of network drama.
However, I did notice something that I suspect may be part of the formula for typical network evening fare...

This pilot worked well....when it DIDN'T mix action scenes with soap opera scenes.
Good theatrical movies typically keep the 2 seperate.

There is nothing more jarring than turning a scene of nasty dinos trying to rip open a tank into a moment of teen love.

Several times in this premiere, action and soap was served up simultaneously.

DUDESSSSSSS, keep it seperate!
Nothing can jerk the viewer out of the moment more quickly than that!

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 09-30-2011, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

SGU looked far better than TN did. Production design, sets and the CGI looked more plausible, filmic and creative than
anything I saw in the $20 million dollars this week on Fox.

Agree 100%

Ignoring the other aspects of our debate, that's what shocked me the most considering how much money was spent. Several scenes looked like anime or a cartoon. It was really disappointing.

One has to ask, where was all the money for?

Steve
Old 09-30-2011, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's because by and large the people who write television science fiction and the people who put them on the air don't seem to have any interest or background in science or science fiction or the concepts which they rely on....

As I've said before. if you want to be serious about SF, then you need to be serious about the level of commitment to making the world believable. And that's effort which the majority of TV SF doesn't have the time or inclination to do.

I don't get the feeling that anyone inolved in TN has the same level of enthusiasm for the genre and it's all just about checking boxes.

Very eloquently said. And your comment about checking boxes is dead on, IMO.

Several of my favorite hard SF novels were Greg Bear's Eon & Niven's Ringworld. The ideas behind both stories were mind-blowing. Ever since I read them many years ago, I've longed for some creative team to try to turn Eon into a mini-series/movie. But I know Hollywood would ruin it by making it a mindless action flick. That's what they do.

Look how hard it's been to come up with a totally satisfying version of Dune.

Could 2001 Space Odyssey be made today & be successful? I don't think so

Steve
Old 09-30-2011, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

SGU looked far better than TN did. Production design, sets and the CGI looked more plausible, filmic and creative than anything I saw in the $20 million dollars this week on Fox.

A good chunk of the money was spent on the on location filming and the base complex. The far off shots of the base were CGI but the up close shots shows they actually built some of the wall sections and the main gate as well. That cost can be written off across the episodes though.

Argee
Old 09-30-2011, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

One has to ask, where was all the money for?

A dozen or so executive producers? Cut 'em some slack; Lamborghini's don't come cheap these days.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

^^

you're right, wouldn't want to see them deprived in any way

Steve
Old 09-30-2011, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Finally finished the 2nd hour this morning. Much better than Falling Skies. I wish they had held back the explanation for the cryptic writings on the rocks. Giving that away in teh first 2 hours in additon to the Sixers is a lot to tackle.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Finally finished the 2nd hour this morning. Much better than Falling Skies. I wish they had held back the explanation for the cryptic writings on the rocks. Giving that away in teh first 2 hours in addition to the Sixers is a lot to tackle.

I'm guessing the mystery is what those equations and symbols mean and what the Colonel's son has learned living out there. Has he been on his own or hangin' with the Sixers? There has to be a reason they gave it up so quickly other than mere screenwriting incompetence, doesn't it?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I would guess he's on his own living he hermit lifestyle. I would hope they wait a while to introduce his character, leave the mystery there for a while until we learn more about the colony, the sixers and the main characters.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I would guess he's on his own living he hermit lifestyle. I would hope they wait a while to introduce his character, leave the mystery there for a while until we learn more about the colony, the sixers and the main characters.

He was "lost" out there before the Sixers arrived, wasn't he?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Well the sixers were teh 6th group to come across, and Taylor's kid went missing "years ago". But there's no timeline that I remember that would suggest which came first.

Also hard to believe they have all those cameras but not one right where the teenagers snuck out and no type of alarm system to detect people going through the fence. Oh well.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Also hard to believe they have all those cameras but not one right where the teenagers snuck out and no type of alarm system to detect people going through the fence. Oh well.

I thought they went back and found them leaving on the security footage? That's how they knew who was missing. My guess is it isn't actively monitored but they do have the footage.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah nevermind forgot that. I was watching it at 5 am which might be the reason for my foggy memory.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Did anyone notice National Geographic channel is also telecasting Terra Nova? I saw this in the program descriptions yesterday, didn't actually tune to it. I think they showed the pilot yesterday at 8.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by akSun View Post

Did anyone notice National Geographic channel is also telecasting Terra Nova? I saw this in the program descriptions yesterday, didn't actually tune to it. I think they showed the pilot yesterday at 8.

yes, I saw that last night ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by akSun View Post

Really????
What the heck for?

And I thought those stupid prison "reality" shows was a bad idea....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 09-30-2011, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Terra Nova star Jason O'Mara got bitten by an ant but thought it was a spider..ouch!

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...ious_aust.html

Old 09-30-2011, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

Terra Nova star Jason O'Mara got bitten by an ant but thought it was a spider..ouch!

They should write that into the script. Give a boost to the danger factor present in the show.