'Terra Nova' on FOX HD - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1423 Old 05-23-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Speaking of a possible remake of WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE...

How about another 50s classic for a remake/reboot - FORBIDDEN PLANET.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1423 Old 05-23-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

I'm pretty sure he did dinos in Jurrassic Park lll. I agree that AI was too story driven, but how about Men In Black l and ll?

I did say that there were some I did like.
In looking at his huge filmography, it just didn't "click" that those were scifi.
I suppose I should have said that almost none of the ones I liked were science fiction.
MIB was driven by Sonnenfeld and the casting, IMHO.
And, of course, just because I liked something and it was scifi, doesn't mean I thought it was "good" scifi.

RE: "Amazing Stories" - didn't really care for it.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #93 of 1423 Old 05-23-2011, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

How about another 50s classic for a remake/reboot - FORBIDDEN PLANET.

The last I heard, the film remake was stuck in development hell. An early draft script was leaked to the Internet in 2009, forcing a new complete rewrite. Of late, the project lost James Cameron as the director since Avatar 2 is being fast-tracked, so the studio is waiting for another big name director to have the time and desire to work on the project. Definitely these are different types of delays compared to what Terra Nova has seen, but ones clearly put in place to attempt to keep the potential quality high.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...64b5917e1045ee
http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1...opic=Spiderman
post #94 of 1423 Old 05-24-2011, 04:32 PM

Liked: 12
I see this concept making for a good movie, and the premiere out to be pretty kick-ass, but I don't see it making for a good series. Is it supposed to be just Jurassic Park (or in this case Cretaceous Park) on weekly basis, or an updated Land Of The Lost? This is a trait of Braga, he comes up with these cool high-concept gimmicks that make for a good movie but suck at being a series; Flash Forward was the last example.

Personally, I think this should have gone the route of S.M Stirling's Island In The Sea Of Time or Eric Flint's 1632 and have a whole town or city simply get transported to dino time by some weird event. None of this "rebuilding a dying Earth" crap.
post #95 of 1423 Old 06-07-2011, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
From reading the following piece, Fox is betting the farm on Spielberg and dinosaurs. Two "can't miss" ideas. My take from the story is that they'll quickly turn it into "90210 BC."

Christine Adams to wreak havoc in Terra Nova
http://www.eurweb.com/?p=109064
post #96 of 1423 Old 06-23-2011, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
post #97 of 1423 Old 06-24-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Set the DVR.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #98 of 1423 Old 06-24-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Seems like it has potential. I'll give it a shot.
post #99 of 1423 Old 06-24-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 76
This sci-fi fan hopes it's more compelling than "Falling Skies"
post #100 of 1423 Old 06-24-2011, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
This sci-fi fan hopes that it's just as good as Falling Skies.
post #101 of 1423 Old 06-24-2011, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by baja7475 View Post

This sci-fi fan hopes that it's just as good as Falling Skies.

This one hopes it's better (that probably won't be too hard).

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #102 of 1423 Old 06-24-2011, 06:31 PM

I hope it's intelligently done. 11 or more co-producers listed isn't reassuring.
I hope it doesn't become like Seaquest.
Or start at the top and work down, like Sliders.
Or degenerate into a "90210, BC"
post #103 of 1423 Old 06-24-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarg7883 View Post

I hope it's intelligently done. 11 or more co-producers listed isn't reassuring.
I hope it doesn't become like Seaquest.
Or start at the top and work down, like Sliders.
Or degenerate into a "90210, BC"

Or become Spielberg's next Falling Skies...

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #104 of 1423 Old 09-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Ok, just finished the screener, last night. Hate to say it, but it could go either way. In a nutshell, it's "Jurassic Park" meets "Lost" with a little "Avatar" thrown in. They even found a younger version of Evangeline Lily.

The first hour really rushes the backstory about how the central characters end up back in time some 85 million years. The central character has to bust out of prison in order to get to the ...Stargate (for lack of a better term) in time. We never see how he does this. And I think I picked up one piece of dialog later in the second hour that made reference to something that was edited out of the first hour.

That said, rushing the backstory was a good idea because there's little there that endears you to the story or the characters. While too obvious of a rip-off, I'd have preferred they start back in time and fill in the gaps through flashbacks. But, as I said.. it's been done.

While I'm dredging up "Lost," let me add that there's a "Lost"-style puzzle introduced in the first episode that producers are obviously hoping freeze-framers discuss and dissect it much like they did the Dharma hatch "map."

No doubt this show will get picked apart mostly for some of the scientific liberties they take. Others may get tired of all the "green" preaching. But, after they get by the backstory, it does get a little interesting. It's no "Lost," though. Not yet, anyway.

OH.. look for the cameo by President Obama right before our "hero" gets to the Stargate. At least I THINK it's Obama. You tell ME.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #105 of 1423 Old 09-06-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Ok, just finished the screener, last night. Hate to say it, but it could go either way. In a nutshell, it's "Jurassic Park" meets "Lost" with a little "Avatar" thrown in. They even found a younger version of Evangeline Lily.

I'm really looking forward to this and will be rooting for it to succeed. There's always a gamble with that first episode in a Big Concept series like this. You have to figure the vast promotional push FOX has been giving it will get it sampled. Somewhere between 16 and 20 million, maybe. But then you've got to get them back next week. LOST did that; FF and The Event did not. So you've got to walk that fine line between establishing the characters and getting the audience to care about them, and satisfying the adrenaline junkies and hardcore gamers who are looking for lots of dino-on-man action.

FOX blew it once before, on 'Firefly'. They shelved a perfectly good pilot that did a great job of character establishment with just enough backstory and had plenty of action too, in favor of an action and CGI-heavy episode that should logically have come later. Let's hope they get it right this time. We need a good big budget sci-fi serial on TV as that niche is empty now with the exception of 'Fringe'. I assume FOX will pair them together? Or will 'Tera Nova' be expected to be a tentpole, kind of like you don't draft a QB #1, pay him all that money, and expect him to sit on the bench...?
post #106 of 1423 Old 09-06-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

The first hour really rushes the backstory about how the central characters end up back in time some 85 million years. The central character has to bust out of prison in order to get to the ...Stargate (for lack of a better term) in time. We never see how he does this. And I think I picked up one piece of dialog later in the second hour that made reference to something that was edited out of the first hour.

That said, rushing the backstory was a good idea because there's little there that endears you to the story or the characters. While too obvious of a rip-off, I'd have preferred they start back in time and fill in the gaps through flashbacks. But, as I said.. it's been done.

While I'm dredging up "Lost," let me add that there's a "Lost"-style puzzle introduced in the first episode that producers are obviously hoping freeze-framers discuss and dissect it much like they did the Dharma hatch "map."

No doubt this show will get picked apart mostly for some of the scientific liberties they take. Others may get tired of all the "green" preaching. But, after they get by the backstory, it does get a little interesting. It's no "Lost," though. Not yet, anyway.

OH.. look for the cameo by President Obama right before our "hero" gets to the Stargate. At least I THINK it's Obama. You tell ME.

Thanks for the mini-review, I think most of us already know this one is going to have tons of cheeze piled on it. I still can't help but think the show is going to end up like this:

(This pic cracks me up, so you'll have to excuse me for referring to it 2x in the thread )

It is another Spielberg production, so I don't expect it to be any better than Fallen Skies.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #107 of 1423 Old 09-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Wow. Thought that was a screen cap for a second! Ok, it's not THAT cheesy, but yeah, there's plenty of formage to go around.

post #108 of 1423 Old 09-06-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:

Wow. Thought that was a screen cap for a second! Ok, it's not THAT cheesy, but yeah, there's plenty of formage to go around.

So more like Dinotopia then?

It's Spielberg so a scene like the bottom one is definitely coming.

post #109 of 1423 Old 09-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

It's Spielberg so a scene like the bottom one is definitely coming.

LOL...Before the first hour is over, my friend. Before the first hour is over.

Something else that bothered me. And I'm going to spoiler-quote it though it's not a plot spoiler:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
They seem to have all this technology including a penlight-size light saber of a sort. Cuts through anything. Yet the main character is shown removing vines with a machete.

post #110 of 1423 Old 09-06-2011, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I'm looking forward to this one and will definitely keep it on the DVR, but I'm nervous about it's longevity in the face of what looks like a huge production cost. I think we're all well versed in Fox's erratic tendencies regarding shows.
post #111 of 1423 Old 09-06-2011, 12:30 PM

I'm concerned that it has at least 11 "executive producers." That's too many. And it may lose it's focus with drawn out storylines they don't want to solve too soon, which is how Lost and Smallville lost me.

I've been enjoying season 1 of Stargate Universe which has been in syndication on local TV. I hope they show the other season. Very intelligently done, rather different from the other SG series. But SyFy deliberately killed it.
post #112 of 1423 Old 09-06-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I just finished watching Stargate and Stargate: Atlantis. Will start SG: Universe soon. It took me forever to get through the first two shows, not just because there were 15 seasons, but stinking Netflix had an audio/video sync issues. I got to the last 3 episodes of the SG: A series and it was unwatchable. I waited 3 months for them to fix it. All I gotta say, that kind of crap better stop if I'm expected to pay for it as a separate service.

Okay, back on topic.
post #113 of 1423 Old 09-07-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Others may get tired of all the "green" preaching.
Is there more tree-hugging green stuff than Avatar?

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #114 of 1423 Old 09-07-2011, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:

Something else that bothered me. And I'm going to spoiler-quote it though it's not a plot spoiler:
Spoiler  
They seem to have all this technology including a penlight-size light saber of a sort. Cuts through anything. Yet the main character is shown removing vines with a machete.
Well, of course.

A minivan can haul anything from plywood to a peewee soccer team and has a ton of cup holders and an audio/visual entertainment system with built in navigation. However, in the end, you get more respect at the Home Depot when you show up in a mud-covered F-150 with ladder racks on it.

It also makes more sense to cook inside where you have AC and controlled cooking temperatures. Some kitchens even have gas flame grills in them. But every guy knows a steak isn't a steak unless it's been set to flame on the grill outside.

Men just want to be men sometimes. It's not about easy - it's about looking tough.

I refer you to the scene in "Crocodile Dundee" where Paul Hogan pretends he had been shaving with the hunting knife of his to impress the girl.
post #115 of 1423 Old 09-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Is there more tree-hugging green stuff than Avatar?
You'll find this hard to believe, but I've still not seen "Avatar." I have it. Just haven't watched it. Again, spoiler quotes where they're probably not needed:

Spoiler  
The premise of the show is that we've so polluted the air on Earth that everyone has to wear a kind-of gas mask. (Hmmmm. Where have I heard the "Earth is all used up" theme, before? ) Hence the need to send humans back 85 million years into the past to "get it right, this time." So Terra Nova is filled with electric jeeps, wind farms and the like.

My "ya gotta be kidding" moment came when new arrivals began passing out from "hypoxia" ..too much fresh air.. and had to be given infusions of CO2. Puh-leeze.

In defense of that, however, what else ya gonna use? Hard to employ fossil fuels when nothing's become a fossil, yet. (Note to scientists: I'm joking).

post #116 of 1423 Old 09-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
A minivan can haul anything from plywood to a peewee soccer team and has a ton of cup holders and an audio/visual entertainment system with built in navigation. However, in the end, you get more respect at the home depot when you show up in a mud-covered F-150 with ladder racks on it.
I am so stealing that.

post #117 of 1423 Old 09-07-2011, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I am so stealing that.
Darn - you caught me before the edit.
post #118 of 1423 Old 09-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
Darn - you caught me before the edit.
Added the edit.

post #119 of 1423 Old 09-07-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post
Why would you edit that? It is soooo true here in Texas. The F-150's in the Home Depot parking lots even say "Texas Edition" on the side of them.
Mine's an odd combination of the Sport and 4x4 Off Road package.

In other words, it's a 4x4 with the smaller tires, quad cab (with rear suicide doors) and the step side fenders on the bed. So, while it's a "pretty truck", it's black, has a V8 and two stick shifts for extra manliness. No push button 4 wheel drive for this guy...
post #120 of 1423 Old 09-07-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I'm still not holding out high hopes for this show, based on comments I heard a FOX exec make on the set of another show. He was going on and on about how smart they were to minimize the dinosaurs in later episodes, because, and I quote, "Dinosaurs don't have conflict.". His basic premise was that people, not dinosaurs, form alliances, fall in love, and stab each other in the back. And that's what audiences want to see. So basically, he made it sound like they were steering the show to be Survivor: Jurassic Period. I threw up in my mouth a little bit as he was speaking. I'm hoping this guy really had nothing to do with the Terra Nova, and that smarter people prevail.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page