'Terra Nova' on FOX HD - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1423 Old 11-29-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
it was more enjoyable this week. A little action, a little drama, some story development. It's coming along better than it was a few weeks ago. Still a few things for people to complain about, but heck, that keeps this thread rolling.
It was sufficiently uncomfortable when the boy was declaring his intentions for the 16 year old girl.

My Maelstrom-18" EGG build.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1423 Old 11-29-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Hope they dont try and force the entire show into grey and not black vs white.

Mira im dealt a bad hand but im going the best i can.
Skye. Mom's dying so ill betray you all.

My take on this is that Mira is being set up by the writers to later become one of the good guys. She will either be betrayed by the evil corporate interests (i.e. her child gets harmed or killed) or she will be forced to commit an act that she cannot do, such as kill all the Terra Nova settlers. I noticed that the writers have witten the role for Mira to keep her from being irrevocably bad. She is fiercly loyal to her people (goes to great lengths to rescue any who are captured) and uses non-deadly force when she raids convoys for supplies. This last show just establishes that Taylor and Mira are more alike than not.

Same goes for Skye. She originally agreed to help the Sixers out of love for her mother. At first, she didn't realize or comprehend the extent of the harm that she was going to do to those she respects and admires. By the time she fully understands what she is doing, it is too late to back out. That is why she tried to keep Josh from making the same mistake she had made.

I also believe Taylor's son will have a story that takes him out of the black and white. It all fits with the over-all theme of the show: second chances to make it right. The real villains are the coporate powers who want to strip mine TN for their own greed. I believe we will see more of them later.

By the way, the reveal of the purpose of the Sixers answered a previous question: why would the Sixers need to control a mine if they have no infrastucture to use the ore?

Finally, to respond to a previous post about the size of the baby ankylosaurus. Is there any science at all about haw fast one of those critters grows that early in its life? It started out as an egg!!!!! Unless dino eggs are supposed to be the size of small cars, the ankylosaurus must grow from small enough to fit in the egg into the bahama mamma we saw as the full sized creature. How fast it gets there is anyone's guess.
post #1173 of 1423 Old 11-29-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarg7883 View Post

I predict the mole will be identified by tonight and will likely be someone we've regularly seen. Like Taylor's second in command maybe, but probably not Skye (unless the writers are better than I thought)..

The writers are better than you thought.

I was certainly surprised when I found out it was Skye. She would not have done it, if it wasn't for the fact that she was being blackmailed because of her mother.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1174 of 1423 Old 11-29-2011, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

The writers are better than you thought.

I was certainly surprised when I found out it was Skye. She would not have done it, if it wasn't for the fact that she was being blackmailed because of her mother.

(munch munch eating my words) Yeah, she's the mole, but not exactly willingly. They moved things along with the plot. Mira's backstory, the true aims of the Sixers etc. I'm sticking it out to the end of the season but I still don't think it'll be back for another.
post #1175 of 1423 Old 11-29-2011, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I'm a little behind on this show...just watched the EMP episode last night. But I have to say, I don't get all the hate for this series. I don't think its any worse than many shows I loved when I was a kid. Buck Rodgers, The A Team, the original cheeseball Battlestar Galactica, Greatest American Hero, Knight Rider, etc. It isn't any worse than those. It's perfectly fine action oriented family entertainment. It's not meant to be as deep and serious as a Heinlein or Arthur C. Clarke novel.

Was it completely stupid that somebody could fix a microchip with hand tools or whatever? Sure. One of the dumbest ideas I've seen in a TV show recently. But so what. It's no dumber than a talking self-aware car or a super hero suit left by aliens. I'm sure it has great appeal to 10-12 year old boys, provided their parents aren't repressive mormons. If you are looking for hard science fiction, may I suggest getting yourself a Nook Tablet for Christmas and do some reading instead? As entertaining as I find some of the comments in this thread, I really think you guys are missing the point. This show isn't written for you.
post #1176 of 1423 Old 11-29-2011, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
At 0:16: "Jim, I'm a Doctor not a Chemist."
post #1177 of 1423 Old 11-29-2011, 04:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus View Post

And the acting is sooo bad. We all know who the "mole" is right? How dumb can they really be?

I like "American Horror Story" and "HOUSE" though this year is not up to par.

Was the mole who you thought it would be?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1178 of 1423 Old 11-29-2011, 05:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

Skye the spy . . . how cute. But she's doing it out of love for her living mother, so I guess that justifies it, right? She's really a "good" person being forced into a criminal life.

Boxer the ankylosaurus . . . looked really fake. And it's way too small. A full grown ankylosaurus was larger than an elephant. There's no way you would be able to cradle a baby one in your arms and carry it around like Kittie the kitten. They also lived about 20 million years later than the time period of Terra Nova.

No one has any idea how large or small the eggs or the size of a baby ankylosaurus was. They have never found a nesting area so they really have no clue except what few partial skeletons and skulls they found from adults.

post #1179 of 1423 Old 11-29-2011, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

The best part of this show is still the whole son and the two-way portal stuff. Very interesting.

Without doubt. The exposition heavy episode about the future plot was the most interesting turn the show has made. It wasn't the unstuck in time element theorized before, but it's a lot more interesting than which poor CGI dinosaur they are going to have the kids reacting to each week.

post #1180 of 1423 Old 11-29-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I continue to watch and continue to wonder why or how long I will keep it up. The plots are just badly written, the CGI continues to be mostly terrible and some of the acting is awful. There are nuggets of some interesting story lines, but they seem unwilling to write them in clever or truly interesting ways.

The whole dino hunt/duel was a decent idea, but so badly carried out and acted that you couldn't take it seriously, even within their sci-fi world. Just look at how it starts - the two people are on the trail together and they show the dino sticking its face just through the bushes a few feet away, to indicate the menacing stalking/hunt to come. But really, the dino would be within 3 or 4 ft and just let them go by, so it could stalk them better later, from a distance with its partner? Please. That's just lazy writing that could have been done so much more cleverly, with more tension. And the entire rest of that hunt story played out with similarly ridiculous scenarios. I especially loved yet another Tayor-stares-down-the-dino moment, where he stood there menacingly with his lethal knife.

The mole story was done a bit better, but really, no guard on the biggest clue to your biggest internal problem? You wait until it's compromised and have to weed it down from 84 people? There was a lot more, but for some reason I still watch it. Honestly, I don't think it stands much chance of renewal and just hope they know it in time to concoct some sort of conclusion. Probably Taylor staring down the portal until it implodes and everyone lives happily until 2189 again.

And, oh yeah I know, I'm "a hater" and why don't I go away, because criticizing something I want to like but can't means I must not watch or be yelled at.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #1181 of 1423 Old 11-30-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
" It had to be on purpose" .....
Anyone catch the wife/Doctor saying to her husband, (when he brought over the pint of Toelulene with the blood drop):
" I'm a doctor, Jim, not a Chemist"

post #1182 of 1423 Old 11-30-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by acksnay View Post

At 0:16: "Jim, I'm a Doctor not a Chemist."

Yeah we saw that too. My wife and I looked at each other and mouthed "WTF"?
post #1183 of 1423 Old 11-30-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post

Anyone catch the wife/Doctor saying to her husband, (when he brought over the pint of Toelulene with the blood drop):

post 1193 .. beat you to it .. this was so obvious to anyone that ever watched Trek ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1184 of 1423 Old 11-30-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Yeah we saw that too. My wife and I looked at each other and mouthed "WTF"?

I thought it was a good nod to Star Trek. Nothing wrong with that. I got good chuckle out of it.

post #1185 of 1423 Old 11-30-2011, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I thought it was a good nod to Star Trek. Nothing wrong with that. I got good chuckle out of it.

Yeah, I caught it, too, and thought it was a good inside joke.

Makes you wonder if the producers chose the name "Jim" just to set it up...
post #1186 of 1423 Old 11-30-2011, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
For those who think this show is lame should have to watch what passed for SciFi when I was growing up. Space Patrol, Tom Corbett and the Space Cadets, Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, etc. Space ships looked like cardboard cutouts w/ a blowtorch simulating a rocket engine. Of course that was before Al Gore invented the internet so we didn't have any way to tell how bad it was.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #1187 of 1423 Old 11-30-2011, 10:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

For those who think this show is lame should have to watch what passed for SciFi when I was growing up. Space Patrol, Tom Corbett and the Space Cadets, Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, etc. Space ships looked like cardboard cutouts w/ a blowtorch simulating a rocket engine.

But they were only 25 minutes long, didn't stop to pretend they were in some kind of serious adult thriller or tween romance and had plenty of fisticuffs and laser battles.

If Terra Nova was 20 minutes long and consisted of Dinosaur punching, evil jungle lords with death rays and people driving off cliffs before retroactively jumping out just in time at the last second... that might be a lot more fun!

Just like this was:

post #1188 of 1423 Old 12-01-2011, 12:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

The mole story was done a bit better, but really, no guard on the biggest clue to your biggest internal problem? You wait until it's compromised and have to weed it down from 84 people?

It was obviously a plot device to drag out the identity of the mole. Could it have been done a little differently? Probably.

Quote:

Honestly, I don't think it stands much chance of renewal and just hope they know it in time to concoct some sort of conclusion. Probably Taylor staring down the portal until it implodes and everyone lives happily until 2189 again.

Ain't gonna happen. All 13 43 min episodes are done and in the can.

2149, not 2189.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

post #1189 of 1423 Old 12-01-2011, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post

And then there's "Nurse Ogawa"...

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #1190 of 1423 Old 12-01-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It wasn't an insult.

You can't tell me that couples don't hook up in high school, where he turns of age before she does and they eventually get married after she becomes of age. Happens a lot.

Not saying that the marriage will last, just that it happens, without the male asking permission to court and announcing his intentions.

Saying that someone is out of touch with reality is not exactly a compliment.
All I said was that the situation was uncomfortable. Your example doesn't include a boy telling a 16 year old girl's father that he plans to marry her. Seems to me that this would be uncomfortable for at least some dads.
Hooking up at school is not the same as telling a dad that you plan to hook up with his young daughter.

post #1191 of 1423 Old 12-01-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 121
Umm, he is attracted to his daughter, and in a good way. He wants to make sure Dad understands that he isn't in it for a friendly bounce, but a long term relationship. If I were Dad, I'd be happy about that, and he seemed to be given the smile as he walked away.

Bobby 

post #1192 of 1423 Old 12-01-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Umm, he is attracted to his daughter, and in a good way. He wants to make sure Dad understands that he isn't in it for a friendly bounce, but a long term relationship. If I were Dad, I'd be happy about that, and he seemed to be given the smile as he walked away.

I agree. He's a good guy. It's natural for a dad to feel uncomfortable about even a nice guy taking about his "little girl" that way. If the kid was a jerk about it, it would (or should IMO) have been more than just unfomfortable.
As it was, dad was just caught a little off gaurd, but then realized that his girl could do worse. I was just saying that the sceen worked for me.

post #1193 of 1423 Old 12-01-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

It was obviously a plot device to drag out the identity of the mole. Could it have been done a little differently? Probably.

Exactly my point - it was an obvious plot device that should have and could have been handled more cleverly - just another example of the lazy writing.

Quote:

Ain't gonna happen. All 13 43 min episodes are done and in the can.

No big deal then. I can watch it suffocate to death and imagine my own ending, which would probably be more interesting anyway.

Quote:

2149, not 2189.

Yeah, I did mess up that important date from memory. Probably because I was so involved keeping up with the other vital info they were developing.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #1194 of 1423 Old 12-01-2011, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 View Post

I agree. He's a good guy. It's natural for a dad to feel uncomfortable about even a nice guy taking about his "little girl" that way. If the kid was a jerk about it, it would (or should IMO) have been more than just uncomfortable.
As it was, dad was just caught a little off guard, but then realized that his girl could do worse. I was just saying that the sceen worked for me.

One of the "big theme" kind of things the show could have explored is how different life would be, out of necessity, in a situation like this. Traditional mores would be immediately challenged, and new paradigms of sociology would emerge from a small, isolated group charged with being the vanguard of humanity in a strange new world. Maybe traditional dating protocols as we understand them would evolve based on the critical need to reproduce - lots of interesting territory to explore. Terribly exciting stuff, no?

But what we get is Swiss Family Robinson in the Cretaceous. Go figure.

And remember, I'm one of the fans of the show. I know it is what it is, and I'm determined to appreciate it for that (cool dinosaurs!). But I get what folks here are complaining about: it could have been so much more. This is just another example.
post #1195 of 1423 Old 12-01-2011, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

For those who think this show is lame should have to watch what passed for SciFi when I was growing up. Space Patrol, Tom Corbett and the Space Cadets, Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, etc. Space ships looked like cardboard cutouts w/ a blowtorch simulating a rocket engine. Of course that was before Al Gore invented the internet so we didn't have any way to tell how bad it was.

In the 1936 serial Flash's ship was pathetic. There were poofs of smoke coming out of the rear and on close examination you could see the thin wires holding it up.
post #1196 of 1423 Old 12-01-2011, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

In the 1936 serial Flash's ship was pathetic. There were poofs of smoke coming out of the rear and on close examination you could see the thin wires holding it up.

And it's movements were kind of herky, jerky like a puppet.

post #1197 of 1423 Old 12-01-2011, 07:20 PM

Liked: 15
Well, now we know what's coming to replace TN on Monday nights. "Alcatraz" begins January 16th. Fox made the announcement today.
post #1198 of 1423 Old 12-01-2011, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
zarg, we already knew what, just not the precise date. You might like this wiki link, they start a new page every year, same title except for the years. This thing helps keep me sane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011-20...ision_schedule

For the when, I found this link, but it's pretty last minute. Better than nothing, tho.

http://www.tvline.com/2011/11/fall-f...remieres-2012/
post #1199 of 1423 Old 12-01-2011, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Since they don't show a TN return date, does that mean finito?

post #1200 of 1423 Old 12-02-2011, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Anyone have rating numbers?

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page