'Terra Nova' on FOX HD - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 286
OT but speaking of adult SF, whatever happened to the BSG spin-off about young Adama? Was it killed or still a go? I haven't seen anything on it in a long time.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Do you have confirmation on 'Alcatraz'?

Its in the same article/link as the TN announcement but I haven't seen a dedicated confirming announcement.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/06/showbi...0_undefined,0_

Also interesting that Fox is shopping TN to another network. Maybe SyFy will pick it up Highly improbable since they don't spend money

If TN gets picked up by say TNT, I sincerely hope they take the criticism to heart and expunge some elements that caused many viewers to abandon the show. Doesn't mean they can't appeal to kids, but just tip the balance more to the adult side & I could see myself watching it again.

that's all

Steve
post #1353 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Its in the same article/link as the TN announcement but I haven't seen a dedicated announcement.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/06/showbi...0_undefined,0_

It doesn't say that, it says that Alcatraz is "under performing". The article is very poorly written.
post #1354 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

I just read the news that TN was cancelled 5 min ago and am disappointed that Alcatraz was also a casualty.

Alcatraz has not been canceled.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1355 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
OK but if both of you are right, it IS very poorly written. Candidly, I'm not a grammar expert anymore but based on the sentence structure, even though there's a semi-colon, it does read like Alcatraz was also part of the subject:

"Fox cancelling Monday night veteran "House"; and another Monday sci-fi drama, "Alcatraz," under-performing in recent weeks. From what we hear, Fox higher-ups weren't too fond of the show."

I added underlining to show how the syntax ties both shows together as a topic.

If I am in error, then I apologize for misinterpreting the sentence.

Steve
post #1356 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

OT but speaking of adult SF, whatever happened to the BSG spin-off about young Adama? Was it killed or still a go? I haven't seen anything on it in a long time.

BSG: Blood and Chrome (hate that title btw).

Last I read the guy in charge at Syfy has the fate of that show in his hands and they keep putting it off. At Comicon last year he even floated the idea it might be an online series only. I don't think he wants the show at all.

Bear McCreary tweeted in the last week or so that he had completed all the music for it.

Principal shooting started over a year ago. So when it airs is a total guess. Probably 2013 at earliest is latest rumors i read on Syfy's boards but wiki says 2012. It's March...not any mention of it by Syfy at all.
post #1357 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Principal shooting started over a year ago. So when it airs is a total guess. Probably 2013 at earliest is latest rumors i read on Syfy's boards but wiki says 2012. It's March...not any mention of it by Syfy at all.

I've been wondering about that too. Maybe they want more time to elapse between the premiere of this BSG spin-off and the cancellation of the last one.

In any event, if they've started production a year ago, you'd think they would either have pulled the plug or gotten it on the air by now.
post #1358 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

but not its execution.

That was THE problem with this series.
Good idea, poor follow thru.

Quote:

Good sci-fi is hard to find

TN had way too many eye-rolling moments to be considered "good sci-fi" IMO.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single good scifi series running right now...

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #1359 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

^^
OK but if both of you are right, it IS very poorly written. Candidly, I'm not a grammar expert anymore but based on the sentence structure, even though there's a semi-colon, it does read like Alcatraz was also part of the subject:

"Fox cancelling Monday night veteran "House"; and another Monday sci-fi drama, "Alcatraz," under-performing in recent weeks. From what we hear, Fox higher-ups weren't too fond of the show."

I added underlining to show how the syntax ties both shows together as a topic.

If I am in error, then I apologize for misinterpreting the sentence.

I read it the same as you did. They should have used another sentence if they only meant to point out it was floundering.
post #1360 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single good scifi series running right now...

I can...Fringe
post #1361 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 386
And while it's not considered sci-fi but more likely fantasy, "Supernatural" has been pretty much knocking it out of the park for at least 5 seasons, they meld humor, horror, camp and serious emotional drama better than any other show on TV, now and for the past several years.
post #1362 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Gotta make room for 3 American Idol eps each week!
post #1363 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

And while it's not considered sci-fi but more likely fantasy, "Supernatural" has been pretty much knocking it out of the park for at least 5 seasons, they meld humor, horror, camp and serious emotional drama better than any other show on TV, now and for the past several years.

One of my favorite shows....seen every episode.

It's interesting how many horror or supernaturally-based shows are on my DVR, but no scifis.
In some sense, I get nearly the same "fix" from those shows as I would normally get from scifi.

Scifi has been in a bit of cinematic slump lately...not sure why.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #1364 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

Gotta make room for 3 American Idol eps each week!

yep .. let's have the American Idol Network ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1365 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

yep .. let's have the American Idol Network ..

Last week they had 6 hours of that execrable show comprising their entire prime-time line-up for 3 days of the week. It's like they don't even need any other programing.
post #1366 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Last week they had 6 hours of that execrable show comprising their entire prime-time line-up for 3 days of the week.

excrement also works
we may disagree on some shows but I think most of us agree on our disdain of AI & clones

Steve
post #1367 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

we may disagree on some shows but I think most of us agree on our disdain of AI & clones

And BOY, has the success of AI spawned clones!

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #1368 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Indeed. No surprise. From the minute the premise and promos came out, My first thought was this show would be too expensive to maintain at mediocre (and certainly at low) ratings.
post #1369 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 View Post

I guess we could make up whatever we want at this point.
Anyone care to give it a go?

I didn't go back and try to find it but I think I posited that they were in the future which would explain the ship's bow. Or maybe someone else said that awhile back, damn CRS is kicking in again.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #1370 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

I didn't go back and try to find it but I think I posited that they were in the future which would explain the ship's bow. Or maybe someone else said that awhile back, damn CRS is kicking in again.

Isn't it obvious that the time portal has been sending people (and obviously at least one boat) back to the past accidentally for centuries? The Terra Novans were going to start running into the descendants of Phoenicians, Romans, Polynesians, Asians, Dutch, Africans from throughout history whose ancestors had stumbled into the portal and been sent back. That would become the premise of the show.

An idea stolen from William Forstchen's "Lost Regiment" series.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #1371 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 08:11 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Isn't it obvious that the time portal has been sending people (and obviously at least one boat) back to the past accidentally for centuries? The Terra Novans were going to start running into the descendants of Phoenicians, Romans, Polynesians, Asians, Dutch, Africans from throughout history whose ancestors had stumbled into the portal and been sent back. That would become the premise of the show.

An idea stolen from William Forstchen's "Lost Regiment" series.

Same idea as "Fantastic Journey" in the late 70's.
Heck I'd like to see that back, for that matter.
post #1372 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 08:18 PM

Liked: 15
My own opinion in what wrecked TN. 13 "Executive Producers." Seems like a dozen too many.

And that Braga guy who was responsible for the mess "Enterprise" turned into with that season long Xindi arc.

And the finale... too little, too late. Too bad, because I'd have liked to know what was out in the Badlands. (Ironically where ST:Voyager began and where TN left off...)
post #1373 of 1423 Old 03-06-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

I go with the earlier comment about the Bermuda Triangle.

In fact if it the portal was located in the Triangle at one point I would be kind of disappointed to see the show cancelled. It would open up vast possibilities for the show as the settlers discover ancient ships and weapons, WW2 fighter planes, 20th century ships ...

It would open up inventive new storylines from multiple periods of history. Secret cargo and historical mysteries.

Refitting an old Avenger bomber from Flight 19 to fight dinosaurs would be awesome!

If it wasn't the Bermuda Triangle then I'm not really bothered the show is done.

post #1374 of 1423 Old 03-07-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 29
No big deal. I thought the show was average at best. If it was between this and Falling Skies, then I would have rather seen this renewed. FS has some of the worst acting and writing around. Is there anyone worse than Noah Wylie? Moon Bloodgood isn't to great either.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #1375 of 1423 Old 03-07-2012, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
** sigh ** . . . First Terra Nova may be canceled (or not), and now Alkatraz?

And then "Fringe". . . which was working for me for awhile. I refused to watch the first 2 seasons of Chuck, thinking it would be canceled. Then, when it didn't, we got hooked on it only to find out they switched nights it was on and would also be canceled.

I'm going back to my previous game plan. We almost never watched Star Trek Voyager, but saw a few reruns on TV. So, when the entire box set was on Ebay I bid and somehow got it for $57. So we now watch it, along with several other programs we never/rarely watched.. . . like Monk (terrific widescreen!) and of course Fire Fly. And the HTPC fills in a lot of other TV time with HuLu and other program sources. I suppose this is what we have to expect given the pressure on broadcast TV and threat of bandwidth/regulations/license fees.

I can't help think that the networks are actually run by a bunch of over caffeinated, knee jerk, snorting, ADHD (no offense meant) corporate climbers trying to out do each other in making the next program scoop.

Oh. . .. wait, that's exactly how they are run.
post #1376 of 1423 Old 03-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I really wanted to like it, and I stayed with it quite a while, but after a while it's mediocrity just wore me down. I found I wasn't looking forward to watching it, and I'm a sci-fi fan. I think it comes down to the characters--you can do a great show without special effects, but you CAN'T do a great show without great characters. These characters were 2 dimensional cliches, poorly cast, acted, and written.
post #1377 of 1423 Old 03-07-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

** sigh ** . . . First Terra Nova may be canceled (or not), and now Alkatraz?

And then "Fringe". . . which was working for me for awhile. I refused to watch the first 2 seasons of Chuck, thinking it would be canceled. Then, when it didn't, we got hooked on it only to find out they switched nights it was on and would also be canceled.

Chuck had four and a half seasons. What's the problem there?

post #1378 of 1423 Old 03-07-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron View Post

I really wanted to like it, and I stayed with it quite a while, but after a while it's mediocrity just wore me down. I found I wasn't looking forward to watching it, and I'm a sci-fi fan. I think it comes down to the characters--you can do a great show without special effects, but you CAN'T do a great show without great characters. These characters were 2 dimensional cliches, poorly cast, acted, and written.

It was very uneven. Parts of it, and some ideas put forth, were excellent, and made me think creatively, but then they would squander the brilliance (if I can use that word) with a mundane followup that would all but infuriate me. As you said the characters were pretty flat. I think they were uneven too, sometimes pretty good, then sometimes awful.

I was hoping it would be renewed, but I am not very upset that it hasn't been.

Quote:

If it was between this and Falling Skies, then I would have rather seen this renewed. FS has some of the worst acting and writing around. Is there anyone worse than Noah Wylie? Moon Bloodgood isn't to great either.

Um, it wasn't her acting that was the big attraction.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #1379 of 1423 Old 03-07-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Um, it wasn't her acting that was the big attraction.

Well said.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #1380 of 1423 Old 03-07-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 169
TV/Business Notes
Netflix in Talks to Continue 'Terra Nova'
By Lesley Goldberg, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - Mar. 7, 2012

Just two days after Fox lowered the ax on Terra Nova, studio 20th Television could have found a new home for the dinosaur drama.

Streaming service Netflix has expressed interest in reviving the time-traveling series from executive producer Steven Spielberg, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Fox late Monday opted not to move forward with the pricey Australia-shot drama -- whose two-hour premiere was pegged at a price tag between $10 million and $20 million. Noting the Jason O'Mara-Stephen Lang starrer's international appeal, studio 20th Television announced it would shop the big-budget series to other networks.

While discussions are early, the move could make sense for Netflix as it continues its push into original scripted programming with fare including 20th Television's Arrested Development, which the company resurrected in November.

While Terra Nova averaged 7.5 million total viewers and 2.6 million in the advertiser-coveted adults 18-49 demo in its 11-episode first season, it failed to catch on the way the network had hoped. Its two-hour finale matched a series low in the demo, drawing a 2.1 rating among adults 18-49 and an audience of 7.2 million.

Fox Entertainment president Kevin Reilly told reporters in January at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour that the network was waiting to make big decisions as the fate of the Spielberg series until they had a better sense for midseason and development projects. "I do feel fortunate that we have some high-class problems," he said at the time. "[Terra Nova] was an exciting bet to take and it's proven that it was worthwhile."

Meanwhile, 20th Television still holds an option on cast members including Lang and O'Mara. Co-star Christine Adams, meanwhile, has already found her next potential gig, joining ABC's fashion drama pilot Americana.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ra-nova-297585
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page