'Terra Nova' on FOX HD - Page 48 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1411 of 1423 Old 03-27-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 601
I find it surprising that Fox apparently is unwilling to offer a deal to Netflix on a series Fox does not want ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1423 Old 03-27-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I find it surprising that Fox apparently is unwilling to offer a deal to Netflix on a series Fox does not want ..

Well 20th Century Fox-the studio, has different needs than Fox-the broadcast network.
If the license fee 20th C needed from Netflix to cover the majority of the show's budget was too high, then that's it for the show. The studio isn't going to cough up any more than they have to, they want the network/distribution entity, to pay for as much of the production as they can negotiate.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1413 of 1423 Old 03-27-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Well 20th Century Fox-the studio, has different needs than Fox-the broadcast network.
If the license fee 20th C needed from Netflix to cover the majority of the show's budget was too high, then that's it for the show. The studio isn't going to cough up any more than they have to, they want the network/distribution entity, to pay for as much of the production as they can negotiate.

The original series that are available on/headed to Netflix - the current mafia-flavored comedy Lillyhammer, the Kevin Spacey-attached original series (that I cannot recall the name of...House of Cards, I think?) & of course next years planned revival of FOX's Arrested Development combined probably cost less than what a new season of TN would set the powers that be back.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #1414 of 1423 Old 03-27-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

I know how it works .. I just can't believe they could not reach a deal .. pre-production costs / talent under contract / sets built / etc ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1415 of 1423 Old 03-27-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I know how it works .. I just can't believe they could not reach a deal .. pre-production costs / talent under contract / sets built / etc ..

I assume the issue was the costs going forward contrasted with the potential audience/demand/profits.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #1416 of 1423 Old 03-27-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I'd guess the negotiations broke down over US vs overseas distribution rights, the duration of exclusivity, etc. Netflix being Netflix peobably wanted to own everything forever. Fox probably wanted limits.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #1417 of 1423 Old 03-28-2012, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Well was hoping that somehow TN would get picked up. While the scripts and sfx were variable...the strength lied in the family dynamic. It was a difficult balance with the adult scifi audience and the less critical family audience. Bravo for them attempting a 'Lost in Space' for the 21st century.
Now what happens to that huge $$$ Austrailian city set piece? Maybe we'll see it in JPark 4

Derek
post #1418 of 1423 Old 03-28-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I hoped that the relationship Fox and Netflix had based on the 'Arrested Development' revival might have helped get TN back in production .. oh, well ..

It does seem NF is actively going for it's own programing lineup .. reminds me of HBO doing the same back in the day ..

Uncle Willie

post #1419 of 1423 Old 03-30-2012, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Arrested Development had a small, but very devoted, following. Like Friday Night Lights, if fans didn't have the service carrying the new shows, there was a reasonable expectation that the service may pick up some subscribers.

Terra Nova had a following that continually hoped it would get better - but it never did live up to the hype or potential. That's not the kind of viewer that is going to subscribe to a service in order to get the new shows. Why make the investment?
post #1420 of 1423 Old 03-30-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Terra Nova had a following that continually hoped it would get better - but it never did live up to the hype or potential. That's not the kind of viewer that is going to subscribe to a service in order to get the new shows. Why make the investment?

Because someone saw potential that could be developed .. ?? A lengthy list of shows could be compiled that were given a chance to grow viewers .. and I'm sure NF execs felt that an exclusive would do something for them, otherwise why would they have bothered .. ??

Uncle Willie

post #1421 of 1423 Old 05-25-2012, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Finished 26th for the season but that wasn't enough to save it.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...family/135747/

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #1422 of 1423 Old 05-25-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Arrested Development had a small, but very devoted, following. Like Friday Night Lights, if fans didn't have the service carrying the new shows, there was a reasonable expectation that the service may pick up some subscribers.

AD also saw it's fanbase increase, some would say near exponentially, after FOX canned it. Apparently became a major hit among college students via DVD & has seen lots of repeat play & picked up new fans via streaming and/or cable reruns (G4TV & IFC have both run AD in syndication).

I know I can think of at least a dozen folks I know who I turned into major AD fanatics post-cancellation via the DVDs alone.

post #1423 of 1423 Old 05-25-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Finished 26th for the season but that wasn't enough to save it.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...family/135747/

Had already forgot about it....

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page