'Terra Nova' on FOX HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1423 Old 02-07-2011, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
From executive producers Steven Spielberg, Peter Chernin, Brannon Braga, René Echevarria and Aaron Kaplan comes an epic family adventure 85 million years in the making.

TERRA NOVA follows an ordinary family on an incredible journey back in time to prehistoric Earth as a small part of a daring experiment to save the human race. In the year 2149, the world is dying. The planet is overdeveloped and overcrowded, with the majority of plant and animal life extinct. The future of mankind is in doubt, and its only hope for survival is in the distant past.

When scientists at the FERMI Particle Accelerator unexpectedly discovered a fracture in time that made it possible to construct a portal into primeval history, the bold notion was born to resettle humanity in the past – a second chance to rebuild civilization and get it right this time.

http://www.fox.com/terranova/

Saw the teaser on a commercial break from the Super Bowl last night. Looks promising so far and I'm hoping it doesn't suck (I'm looking at you, Seaquest!)

edit: Aww, frak! I totally didn't notice that Braga was involved...could be worse, I guess; he didn't drag over Rick Berman with him..

2-night special event on 5/23 & 5/24 and features Stephen Lang (Avatar) and Jason O'Mara (Life on Mars).

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1423 Old 02-08-2011, 01:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I think it looks interesting, but I don't know if I'll bother watching it right away, I'll just DVR it. I've been burned by Fox too many times by them cancelling shows like this after I get hooked.
post #3 of 1423 Old 02-08-2011, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Dumb. Why go back to dinosaur times? Seems like going back to AFTER they became extinct would be better.
post #4 of 1423 Old 02-08-2011, 08:00 AM

Liked: 10
Jurrasic Park Quote:

"Their is reason why man and dinosaurs aren't in the same timeline"

It should be good since Steven is involved.
post #5 of 1423 Old 02-08-2011, 08:13 AM

Liked: 12
BCF68 is right. So when did that asteroid hit?
post #6 of 1423 Old 02-08-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Two words.

Brannon Braga.

He is the showrunner because someone hasn't figured out yet that this guy shouldn't be getting work anymore.

There really is no hope that this is going to do anything but suck. They already fired most of the writing staff once as a cost cutting measure since this thing has be delayed so much. Even if there is some semblance of good writing in these first 13 episodes, the chances that the same writing team would be able to return to do more work is slim to nil because they likely moved on to new projects.

This pilot is going to be the most expensive pilot Fox has ever done, so they already ordered a full 13 episode season to try to defray costs. They really have gone too far down the rabbit hole at this point to turn back. So, this could quite possibly be the most expensive bad TV ever to hit the airwaves.

This is quite likely going to be the biggest epic trainwreck we have seen on network TV. That, at least, makes it worth tuning in.
post #7 of 1423 Old 02-08-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post

Two words.

Brannon Braga.

He is the showrunner because someone hasn't figured out yet that this guy shouldn't be getting work anymore.

There really is no hope that this is going to do anything but suck. They already fired most of the writing staff once as a cost cutting measure since this thing has be delayed so much. Even if there is some semblance of good writing in these first 13 episodes, the chances that the same writing team would be able to return to do more work is slim to nil because they likely moved on to new projects.

This pilot is going to be the most expensive pilot Fox has ever done, so they already ordered a full 13 episode season to try to defray costs. They really have gone too far down the rabbit hole at this point to turn back. So, this could quite possibly be the most expensive bad TV ever to hit the airwaves.

This is quite likely going to be the biggest epic trainwreck we have seen on network TV. That, at least, makes it worth tuning in.

Or...it could be good!

Rocky
post #8 of 1423 Old 02-08-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyF View Post

Or...it could be good!

I wish I could be optimistic, but we're talking about the man who ran the Star Trek franchise into the ground with Voyager, Enterprise, and the Next Generation movies. This is the man who was responsible for the terrible short lived TV series Threshold. He was exec-producer on the last two seasons of 24 which weren't really well received. He was also exec-producer on FlashForward and we all know how that went.

So, maybe it will be great. The show runner fills me with zero confidence whatsoever though and this production has been plagued with problems from inception.

They are at least committed to 13 episodes though.

The pilot may be decent though. That's the only thing Spielberg (and most of the other headlining producers they have there) will really be involved at all with. When the show finally goes to series 4 months later, it could go downhill quickly.
post #9 of 1423 Old 02-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
The concept and cast of this show reminds me of turdtastic early 90's sci fi shows like Seaquest and Earth 2.
post #10 of 1423 Old 02-08-2011, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

They are at least committed to 13 episodes though.

No guarantee they'll all air (or in the correct order even) - this is FOX after-all!

Knew I'd see the words "Terra Nova" together before- Star Trek Enterprise; Season 1, Episode 6 "Terra Nova".... written by- Brannon Braga!

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #11 of 1423 Old 02-08-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

No guarantee they'll all air (or in the correct order even) - this is FOX after-all!

Knew I'd see the words "Terra Nova" together before- Star Trek Enterprise; Season 1, Episode 6 "Terra Nova".... written by- Brannon Braga!

He did the same thing for his series Threshold. There was a Voyager episode named Threshold that he wrote and it is, without a doubt, the worse Star Trek episode ever made going all the way back to TOS. Yes, even worse than Spock's Brain. He actually apologizes for it on the DVD extras.

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com..._threshold.php
post #12 of 1423 Old 02-08-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I remember Seaquest all too well unfortunately! I couldn't even finish the 1st season.

It was so bad that Roy Scheider wanted out of the series, IIRC.

Spielberg & TV series has not been a match made in heaven, so to speak:
Seaquest, Taken (OK but certainly not what it was hyped to be)

With Fox's tendency to yank SF shows at the 1st sign of trouble, the odds are definitely not in this show's favor for success

We'll see.....(cautiously hopeful)

Steve
post #13 of 1423 Old 02-08-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Looking forward to it..

Jurassic Park meets Lost? hehehe

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #14 of 1423 Old 02-08-2011, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Dumb. Why go back to dinosaur times? Seems like going back to AFTER they became extinct would be better.

Good catch. I'm guessing time-traveling humans will be the undoing of the Jurrasic/Triassic/Whateverassic creatures..

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #15 of 1423 Old 02-09-2011, 01:32 AM

hopefully it will be better than Outcasts on bbc.

ran

setton sansui lo-d kensonic esprit nikko concept aurex a&d optonica otto
I love my dead av brands!
post #16 of 1423 Old 02-09-2011, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

we all know Fox will end up canceling it....why they even bother to keep dipping their toes in SF waters is a mystery. They've had good opportunities before & blown them.

I'll watch the pilot & go from there. Saving mankind by going back to dinosaur ages so we can be extinguished along with them by the asteroid strike! There's a good idea

Candidly, Falling Skies on TNT sounds more promising & better chance of success.

Steve
post #17 of 1423 Old 02-09-2011, 03:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Good catch. I'm guessing time-traveling humans will be the undoing of the Jurrasic/Triassic/Whateverassic creatures..

They have a couple of ways out of their idiocy. The portal may only go to one place out of their control or it may not be sending them to the correct time.

Even if they only have a thousand years before an extinction event it might still be preferable to sitting in the future. They might be able to build a doorway to jump around the extinction too.

This is being put together by Brannon Braga and the writers of 24. I'm not expecting this to be any better than V.

post #18 of 1423 Old 02-09-2011, 03:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

He did the same thing for his series Threshold. There was a Voyager episode named Threshold that he wrote and it is, without a doubt, the worse Star Trek episode ever made going all the way back to TOS. Yes, even worse than Spock's Brain. He actually apologizes for it on the DVD extras.

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com..._threshold.php

Braga is infamous for his shoddy Trek episodes. If you need a way out and nobody else can find it, Braga can write some mumbo-jumbo and explain it with a tachyon shift in the quantum subspace nacelle phase interaction.

Braga is the King of Nonsense Plots.

post #19 of 1423 Old 02-09-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Braga can write some mumbo-jumbo and explain it with a tachyon shift in the quantum subspace nacelle phase interaction.

And I always hated when Data or Gyordi came up with those lines. Now I know who to thank for the nonsense. And one reason I stopped watching all Star Treks after 2/3 thru DS9 and 2 seasons of Voyager.

IMO, none of the later Treks hold a candle to Babylon 5 & BSG.

Steve
post #20 of 1423 Old 02-09-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
I'm not expecting this to be any better than V.
Me neither.

A remake of Time Tunnel

They either have to die with the dino's, fix it so only dino's die, change dino DNA so they evolve to house pets, or develop an asteroid killer 65+million yrs ago so everything lives but then they'd doom mankind to a life of avoiding getting eaten.

Again, one has to wonder why Fox would even consider sinking a bundle of money on a show that has 99% chance of not making it past the 13 eps.

Steve
post #21 of 1423 Old 02-09-2011, 11:59 AM

Liked: 12
Come on! Surly us Ancient Americans will realize that they are remaking a very bad comedy from the 60's called "It's About Time". The only difference is that they dumped the cavemen (I can't recall who played them. Was it Joe E. Ross and Imogene Coco?), and the astronaut angle. No....wait! It could be "Fantastic Journey" from the 70's, or worse yet:"Otherworld"!!!
post #22 of 1423 Old 02-09-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastar View Post

Come on! Surly us Ancient Americans will realize that they are remaking a very bad comedy from the 60's called "It's About Time". The only difference is that they dumped the cavemen (I can't recall who played them. Was it Joe E. Ross and Imogene Coco?), and the astronaut angle. No....wait! It could be "Fantastic Journey" from the 70's, or worse yet:"Otherworld"!!!

yep --- Joe E. Ross and Imogene Coca. loved it when i was 12!
post #23 of 1423 Old 02-09-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26

Finally!!! It's time for an original sci-fi show for FOX to...cancel.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #24 of 1423 Old 02-09-2011, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Me neither.

A remake of Time Tunnel

Fox actually comissioned a pilot for a "Time Tunnel" remake about ten years ago, but never picked up the series.

That pilot was included as bonus material on the second DVD set for the original series, and was actually pretty good. It's a shame it wasn't picked up.
post #25 of 1423 Old 02-09-2011, 08:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

They either have to die with the dino's, fix it so only dino's die, change dino DNA so they evolve to house pets, or develop an asteroid killer 65+million yrs ago so everything lives but then they'd doom mankind to a life of avoiding getting eaten.

That reminded me of something else. An old strip in 2000AD comic called Flesh, in which people from the future are sent back in time to hunt dinosaurs because their own food supplies have been exhausted.

And of course that becomes the reason dinosaurs went extinct.

post #26 of 1423 Old 04-13-2011, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 163
TV Notes
What Led Fox to Delay 'Terra Nova'
By Kim Masters, The Hollywood Reporter - April 13th, 2011

In January, Fox executives gave TV critics gathered for their winter meeting an upbeat appraisal of the network's costly and ambitious sci-fi series Terra Nova. With Steven Spielberg lending the project his dinosaur cred, Terra Nova had already attracted lots of interest on the Internet, with fans panting to get a look at a two-hour preview set for May.

But even then, key players on the project suspected that the chances of delivering that preview were not good. And though Fox promoted the series during the Super Bowl in February, the network acknowledged weeks later that it would not launch until fall because its visual effects "require more time to be realized."

But sources involved with the project say the situation was more complicated than that. With more than a dozen executive producers credited on the pilot and an array of writers coming and going, the series returned from its shoot in Australia in December without enough footage to create the promised two-hour opener. "There was a massive underestimation of what they had and how it would cut together," says a source with firsthand knowledge.

PHOTOS: Behind the scenes of Fox's Terra Nova

A Fox spokesman acknowledges that the production returned without sufficient footage, but he says this sort of problem is not unusual on a show with extensive action sequences. The bigger issue was that the dinosaur effects would not have been finished until a day or two before the scheduled broadcast. Sending out incomplete press screeners "was not the way to build excitement for this show in which we all have a significant investment," he tells THR.

Accounting on the project makes it tricky to calculate the cost of the pilot, but various reports have pinned it anywhere between $10 million and $20 million, which could make Terra Nova the most expensive broadcast pilot to date (rivaling or even passing the Lost pilot, which cost more than $10 million in 2004). Fox denies that and says the bulk of the cost was for building sets, which, amortized over 13 episodes, reduces the amount attributable to the pilot.

Terra Nova follows a family that travels from the 22nd century to the prehistoric era as part of an attempt to save the human race. It's what network executives call "a big swing," and despite the many challenges of making it, sources involved say it has the potential to be a big hit.

But the launch has been pushed back twice. Fox initially set the series as a midseason replacement in 2010. In August, the network instead announced a preview in May 2011 and a fall launch -- a tactic Fox used with Glee.

Terra Nova started as a three-page treatment from British writer Kelly Marcel. Former William Morris agent Aaron Kaplan brought the material to WME, which took it to Fox. Craig Silverstein (Bones) was then brought in to develop a script. Based on that version, Fox asked Spielberg and former News Corp. president and COO Peter Chernin to come aboard as executive producers, with the promise that Terra Nova would be greenlighted straight to series if they said yes. As Fox network chief Peter Rice later explained, building a new world just for a traditional pilot would have been "prohibitively expensive," but amortizing the cost over 13 episodes was feasible.

But Silverstein had developed the series Nikita for the CW, and when that project was picked up last spring, he departed, leaving Terra Nova without a writer. Fox brought in 24 veteran Brannon Braga, who hired fellow 24 alums David Fury and Jon Cassar (though by September, Fury was out because of creative differences). Screenwriter Allan Loeb was then brought in to do a rewrite.

Just about all of these individuals -- Kaplan, Marcel, Silverstein, Braga and Cassar -- had been given credit as executive producers, plus Chernin, Spielberg and a clutch of their associates: Katherine Pope, Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank. The tally was 10 and counting.

As production drew near, Fox was still weighing how long the pilot should be. The initial script had been too lengthy to fit into an hour, so the question was whether to cut it down or build it up. Sources say no decision had been made even a month before filming started in November. But two episodes could be sold overseas as a movie -- a Spielberg fantasy, no less -- and TV veterans say that would command big dollars. (A top executive at a rival network says such a movie might sell for as much as $8 million.)

Once the network decided to go for it, much of the regular writing staff was laid off because series production would have to wait until the two hours were in the can. With production getting under way in November, Fox brought in yet another executive producer, veteran showrunner Rene Echevarria.

At this point, the series was starting to sound almost biblical in terms of begetting exec producers. Final tally: 11, but only if you don't count director Alex Graves and Fury, both credited on the pilot.

Then another seemingly biblical problem arose in Australia: rain. "It never stopped," Graves recalled this month at Wonder-Con. "There were days where we would have to not go to location."

Graves and his team returned from Australia in mid-December. In January, Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly told TV critics that the Terra Nova footage looked "fantastic" and praised Graves for braving rough conditions to create the two-hour pilot for May.

But when it turned out there wasn't enough material to make two strong hours, some involved faulted Graves. "Creatively, he bumped heads with everybody," says one talent representative with ties to the production. "He shot what he wanted to shoot."

Fox, citing the difficulty of timing action sequences, splits the blame between Graves and Braga. "Brannon misjudged it at the script stage, and Alex and his script supervisor misjudged it as it was being shot," a spokesman says. (The spokesman acknowledges that Echevarria was actually the showrunner and says it's impossible to parse responsibility between him and Braga.)

Braga and Echevarria declined comment. Graves and his representatives also declined comment, but several industry insiders say his reputation is impeccable and reject the idea that he could be at fault. "Usually the director is the last one to make those kinds of mistakes," says a high-level executive at a rival network. "Maybe the problem is that there are so many cooks in the kitchen -- all the producers on the project, along with the network and the studio."

In fact, several sources say the scramble to expand the script was a source of trouble. "To say that this was a challenging situation would be a gross understatement," one says. Another individual concludes that three elements combined into a recipe for trouble: the many voices on the project, story issues that had not been completely worked out and efforts to contain costs that might have gone too far.

"You start trimming here and there, and you have no margin for error," this person says. When sequences turned out short, there was no extra material to use. "This is really a feature idea," this observer adds. "You should have $100 million to make the thing, and they're making it for a fraction of that. There is no one person who is to blame -- it's a combination of circumstances with a really complex production."

Fox has brought in editor Ken Horton (The X-Files) to help pull the pilot together. Sources say the first hour looks much improved, but Horton had to fill it out with material borrowed from the second episode, which was already short.

And all the focus on the pilot raises questions about the rest of the series, which has yet to be created. "These two hours could be great," an insider says, "and then they have to deliver every week."

At this point, the regular series is set to go into production in June; the scripts for those episodes have yet to be finished.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...y-terra-177867
post #27 of 1423 Old 04-13-2011, 10:03 PM

Liked: 15
I sure hope this doesn't get the Seaquest treatment. A couple of things don't bode well already.

I looked at it's entry on Wikipedia where it lists a stable full of Executive Producers. I can't see this as good. Too many cooks and so forth.

The title logo also utilizes an image that looks like the Pangea supercontinent. Wrong. The modern continents were already well separate by 90 million years ago. India was in the middle of an ocean, and Australia and Antarctica were just splitting away from each other.

I hope science isn't ignored for the sake of "Who cares, it looks better this way; and who's really sure what Earth looked like 85 million years ago anyway!"
post #28 of 1423 Old 04-14-2011, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Been following this show for a long time, really looking forward to it but the scenes in the preview with the dinnos really looks bad. Not sure how mcuh "Action" there can be when all there are to worry about is the occassional dino attack/fight. Hmmmm.

post #29 of 1423 Old 04-14-2011, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarg7883 View Post

I sure hope this doesn't get the Seaquest treatment. A couple of things don't bode well already.

Yes to that. Seaquest was a disaster; I couldn't finish 1st season it was so bad.
When the suits get involved.....be afraid, be very afraid

Steve
post #30 of 1423 Old 04-14-2011, 05:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Been following this show for a long time, really looking forward to it but the scenes in the preview with the dinnos really looks bad. Not sure how mcuh "Action" there can be when all there are to worry about is the occassional dino attack/fight. Hmmmm.

I suspect dino attacks will just be the seasoning - there to provide flavor. The meat in the broth will probably be the usual human suspects scheming and plotting and betraying and, of course, smooching. Got to be something there to draw the chick demographic.

All those executive producers also drain the budget extensively. Unlike the CGI dinos, all those dudes gotta' get paid. Even if they never actually contribute anything beyond a name on a letterhead.

The thing that worries me the most is Braga's involvement. He's demonstrated a remarkable lack of talent and vision WRT science fiction shows. Yet he keeps getting hired.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page