Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Originally Posted by dad1153
TV Review
'Breakout Kings' (A&E)
Another escapist show from 'Prison Break' guys
By Ellen Gray, Philadelphia Daily Newsl - March 3rd, 2011

In four seasons on Fox, you'd think "Prison Break" had exhausted the possibilities of escapist entertainment.

I don't care how gorgeous Wentworth Miller is: How many times can the same characters break out (or into) well-fortified facilities using only items found around your average Big House before viewers' eyes start to roll back in their heads?

Turns out, though, that there are still stories to be told about too-early paroles - and former "Break" writers Matt Olmstead and Nick Santora figured out a way to tell them. All they needed was to be a little less original.

Like "It Takes a Thief" and USA's "White Collar," "Breakout Kings," which premieres Sunday on A&E, is about convicts who work with law enforcement in exchange for a break on their sentences.

The hook? At some point, all have demonstrated enough ability as escape artists that the U.S. marshals have decided they might be useful in tracking fugitives.

If you can make that leap, then you may not be bothered by the disappearance of one of the convicts after the pilot. (Originally made for Fox, which passed on the project, it was ordered to series by A&E.)

Serinda Swan joins the "Kings" in later episodes, and though she and Nicole Steinwedell, the actress in the pilot, look a lot alike, they're playing different characters with entirely different back stories.

Which is too bad, because Steinwedell's character was nicknamed Philly.

A&E assures me all will be explained in the March 13 episode, which wasn't ready in time for screening.

Staying on after tonight: Jimmi Simpson ("It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia") as an imprisoned behavioral expert with a gambling problem and Malcolm Goodwin as Shea Daniels, a high-level gang-banger.

On the supposedly law-abiding side, we have the odd-couple pairing of veteran U.S. marshals Charles Duchamp (Laz Alonso) and Ray Zancanelli ("The Wire's" Domenick Lombardozzi), who are meant to be keeping a close eye on their new partners, lest they, too, escape.

Rounding out the cast: Julianne Simms (Brooke Nevin), who fills the now practically mandatory role of Girl Who Knows How to Work the Laptop.

Your tax dollars at work, folks.

Little of this stands up to close scrutiny, but there's a nice twist at the end of the pilot, and it looks as if every episode will begin with a fiendishly clever prison break by someone viewers might actually hope to see caught.

"You have to have really bad, bad guys or there's just not stakes from the beginning of the episode. At the same time, each week it can't be, you know, the Son of Sam who is breaking out of prison. It will get repetitive," Santora told reporters in January.

After four years of trying to keep Michael Scofield and his not-so-merry band on the run, Olmstead said he'd been attracted to a format that allowed for closed-ended episodes.

Plus, he and Santora "love law-breaking. So we just wanted to kind of have fun on the show and keep on working together."

Prison breaks offer something most traditional procedurals don't, he said, starting with "the momentum of storytelling that you get when you have a fugitive on the run, as opposed to a dead body where there's a little bit more time to find that person because that dead body is not going anywhere."

In "Breakout Kings," "everybody is running from something," he said.

Best reason for "Prison Break" fans to stick with "Kings" for a few weeks, at least?

T-Bag.

Robert Knepper, who played the most terrifyingly twisted of Michael Scofield's accomplices (and who recently popped up on Showtime's "Shameless"), will reprise the role of Theodore "T-Bag" Bagwell in the March 20 episode.

"T-Bag breaks out of Fox River Prison, and our guys chase him," Santora said.

Now that makes sense.

BREAKOUT KINGS
10 p.m. Sunday, A&E.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's kinda ridiculous in so many ways. Yet I've watched the first 3 episodes.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-23-2011, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 333
I like it. It takes things a bit more seriously than say White Collar or Leverage. There is a nice dynamic between the team, and so far the cases have been interesting. And having T-Bag on the show was awesome.
post #4 of 15 Old 03-23-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Another fan here. The T-Bag episode was a wild ride.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-24-2011, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've been keeping up on this one, and I'm liking it.

Dumb question - I never watched an episode of 'Prison Break,' although I've seen Knepper in other stuff. What is T-Bag's back story? I assume he was that psychotic on 'Prison break' too? When 'Prison Break' ended, was T-Bag locked up in the Fox River Prison? Were any other of T-Bags 'associates' in this last episide also on Prison Break?Anything else I need to know?
post #6 of 15 Old 03-24-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have been watching this show and find it a guilty pleasure. I thought the T-bag episode was better than the first two. I never watched Prison Break, so I didn't know his back story. It was still compelling on its own. I really like Robert Knepper. He made the final season of Heroes almost watchable.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #7 of 15 Old 05-31-2011, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

The season finale was excellent last night. I hope this show gets picked up for a second season.

post #8 of 15 Old 05-31-2011, 07:21 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

The season finale was excellent last night. I hope this show gets picked up for a second season.

-Same here!

best line - Lloyd: "Bring the ballgame to HER? -That's reeeeally, really, really vague."
post #9 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought last's night episode was good as well. It is nice to see them tackle what would happen if some one found out who was helping the Marshals hunt down criminals.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 11:26 AM

Liked: 12
With watching the first 6 episodes or so I have to say, I am not a fan. I'm a HUGE Prison Break fan. But this just bored me. From what I saw, there really isn't much of a story. It just seems that every episode, they bring another fugitive back to prision. It got old for me. There just isn't much to it.
post #11 of 15 Old 05-17-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 164
TV Notes
'Breakout Kings' Canceled After 2 Seasons
By Tim Kenneally, TheWrap.com - May 17, 2012

"Breakout Kings" has been given the ax by A&E.

The series, from former "Prison Break" team Nick Santora and Matt Olmstead, has been canceled after two seasons, the second of which wrapped up April 29.

The series revolved around a group of U.S. marshals who enlist prisoners to help them catch escaped convicts, with time taken off of their sentences for each fugitive captured.

Malcolm Goodwin, who played former gang leader Shea Daniels on the series, acknowledged the cancellation on his Twitter account Thursday, writing, "So Breakout Kings is canceled. Thx to all 4 the luv & support over the last 2 seasons! It's been a fun experience! Much luv! On to the next."

Speaking of "the next," Olmstead seems to have that ground covered; he's moving on become showrunner of Dick Wolf's new drama "Chicago Fire," which was recently ordered to series by NBC.

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/br...-seasons-40541
post #12 of 15 Old 05-18-2012, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I really enjoyed the show. I am sorry to see it did not make it to a third season.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-18-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The writing was on the wall after only getting 10 episodes this season down from 13.

I thought it was better this year but unfortunately it got the ax.
post #14 of 15 Old 05-18-2012, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I am glad I didn't start this show. Doesn't seem like anyone was watching this.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-18-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I loved this show. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page