post #361 of 789 Old 05-30-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Yeah I'm not a fan of the new paddock guy at all. Peter Windsor was so good at it.

+2

BTW, what ever happened to the US based F1 team that he went to work for? I haven't heard anything in a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 789 Old 05-30-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

BTW, what ever happened to the US based F1 team that he went to work for? I haven't heard anything in a while.

Seriously, you must be living under a rock. The USF1 team went nowhere, and that's being terribly polite about it. It stands as the epic fail and the laughing stock of the entire motorsports industry. The jabs about it were relentless for months.

Peter Windsor can be found on Twitter and doing his own blog. He's pretty active in that regard.
post #363 of 789 Old 05-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

+2

I had such high hopes!
LL

Rodney
post #364 of 789 Old 05-30-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

Seriously, you must be living under a rock. The USF1 team went nowhere, and that's being terribly polite about it. It stands as the epic fail and the laughing stock of the entire motorsports industry. The jabs about it were relentless for months.

Peter Windsor can be found on Twitter and doing his own blog. He's pretty active in that regard.

Thanks for the info. I'm not admitting to living under a rock, maybe an Oppo!
post #365 of 789 Old 05-30-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I'm not admitting to living under a rock, maybe an Oppo!

The Wikipedia article can -- more or less -- bring you up to date, although it probability doesn't say enough about what a epic failure this effort was. It was reported that most of the engineers who were dismissed when USF1 shut down didn't get paid for the last couple months of work. Reportedly, Ken Anderson micromanaged with great incompetence until it died.
post #366 of 789 Old 05-30-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcase13 View Post

I had such high hopes!

Rodney,
Is that you in front of the sign? Where they near the Nascar teams in the area?

While it was a failure, it would have been interesting if it had come to fruition. One thing I have always disliked about some in the F1 community is their superior attitude with regards to Europe vs US teams and technology. I always thought it was funny that Mclaren had Hercules build their tubs for about two decades.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #367 of 789 Old 05-31-2012, 12:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

We have talked about going sometime, but not this year. As it is we may cancel plans for Austin's USGP this year and see how the event unfolds. We're still waiting on ticket pricing to make a decision. If COTA gets greedy about it we won't go.

I would like to go to Austin....but the ticket prices and, what probably will be the ultimate nightmare of getting thru the traffic to your seat, I am just not too keen to give it a GO (at the moment).
This is the "inaugural" event....it CAN'T go off smoothly!

Quote:

Anderson tried to do all the designing "in the computer."
It didn't work.

The idea was to do it on the cheap (without a Wind Tunnel and all the rest).
Like I said....IT DIDN'T WORK.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #368 of 789 Old 05-31-2012, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

Rodney,
Is that you in front of the sign? Where they near the Nascar teams in the area?

While it was a failure, it would have been interesting if it had come to fruition. One thing I have always disliked about some in the F1 community is their superior attitude with regards to Europe vs US teams and technology. I always thought it was funny that Mclaren had Hercules build their tubs for about two decades.

Yeah it's me and my son. We live nearby. The location is right near the Concord NC airport. The area hosts several of the NASCAR teams and also is near the Windshear wind tunnel. It was a great location. We were proud to have them in our town.

Too bad it ended so badly.

Rodney
post #369 of 789 Old 05-31-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I think I read somewhere that F1 fined them a decent amount of money for not fielding a team too.

The laughable part was Windsor actually thought he could talk Kyle Busch into driving for them.
post #370 of 789 Old 05-31-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I read somewhere that F1 fined them a decent amount of money for not fielding a team too.

They weren't left with any money to pay a fine. Hell, the haulers they bought from Braun GP were liquidated on eBay by court order to settle debts.
post #371 of 789 Old 05-31-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:

While it [USF1] was a failure, it would have been interesting if it had come to fruition. One thing I have always disliked about some in the F1 community is their superior attitude with regards to Europe vs US teams and technology. I always thought it was funny that Mclaren had Hercules build their tubs for about two decades.

Effete snobbery does indeed permeate F1. The arrogance of too many people involved in the sport seems to know no bounds. On the bright side, though, they are really easy to make fun of, as Will Ferrell and Sacha Baron Cohen proved in Talladega Nights. Baron Cohen's portrayal of an F1 driver who moves to NASCAR was a comic masterpiece.
post #372 of 789 Old 05-31-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
F-1 has always been the pinnacle of open wheeled racing. Yes I agree there is some snobbery in F-1 but not to the degree it's accused of being. I need more coffee and read the posts again? I don't think that Senna, Lauda, Fittipaldi, Hunt, etc were considered snobs.

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #373 of 789 Old 05-31-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Just to add I am sure a few of you watched the Indy 500 finish? Takuma Sato an ex F-1 driver here in the states battling for the win. Rubens Barichello has even joined the circus. Past F-1 drivers include Nigel Mansell, Jacques Villeneuve, Emerson Fittipaldi, and others.

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #374 of 789 Old 05-31-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The laughable part was Windsor actually thought he could talk Kyle Busch into driving for them.

OK, now that thar is funny...I don't care who you ar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

Just to add I am sure a few of you watched the Indy 500 finish? Takuma Sato an ex F-1 driver here in the states battling for the win. Rubens Barichello has even joined the circus. Past F-1 drivers include Nigel Mansell, Jacques Villeneuve, Emerson Fittipaldi, and others.

It isn't surprising former F1 drivers do well at Indy.

I don't watch Indy cars (the going-around-in-a-circle thing doesn't appeal to me), but I do read about it from time to time.

post #375 of 789 Old 05-31-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Effete snobbery does indeed permeate F1. The arrogance of too many people involved in the sport seems to know no bounds. On the bright side, though, they are really easy to make fun of, as Will Ferrell and Sacha Baron Cohen proved in Talladega Nights. Baron Cohen's portrayal of an F1 driver who moves to NASCAR was a comic masterpiece.

Quote:

F-1 has always been the pinnacle of open wheeled racing. Yes I agree there is some snobbery in F-1 but not to the degree it's accused of being. I need more coffee and read the posts again? I don't think that Senna, Lauda, Fittipaldi, Hunt, etc were considered snobs.

It isn't always the drivers, although I think Montoya thought he was going to light Nascar on fire. Having said that, the drivers that you mentioned did have a little arrogance about them especially Senna.

Quote:

Like I said in the Indy thread, Sato is another mid pack also ran from F1. The fact is if one came up with a list of the 20 best drivers in the world regardless of series then you would not find an Indy driver on the list. Heck, even if it was reduced to the big three (Nascar, F1 and Indy) then you still wouldn't find an Indy driver on the list.

post #376 of 789 Old 05-31-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:

The fact is if one came up with a list of the 20 best drivers in the world regardless of series then you would not find an Indy driver on the list.

LL

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #377 of 789 Old 05-31-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, that dude.^

post #378 of 789 Old 05-31-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Which is why I included the second sentence. While it is difficult to compare differing series like that, one could make a case for rally and drag racers being on the list. You could probably put Rossi from motorcycles on the list. What you can't do is say Franchitti or Power is one of the top 20.

post #379 of 789 Old 05-31-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought you were taking nominations F1 v. rally is an old discussion as to the best drivers. In that discussion, it's assumed those are the only two categories from which to choose. Rules are simple - it has to be a car, and it has to accelerate, decelerate and turn in both directions during the course of its duties.

What people don't think about seems to me, is that while the best drivers are at the top of F1 and rally, the backmarkers in F1 are just as bad as any backmarker.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #380 of 789 Old 05-31-2012, 11:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You could probably put Rossi from motorcycles on the list. .

I don't agree, because:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

Rules are simple - it has to be a car, and it has to accelerate, decelerate and turn in both directions during the course of its duties.

The 2 wheel boys vs. the 4 wheels boys have skill-sets too different to make any worthwhile comparison IMO.
I have had very fast cars and very fast bikes and I can't find much of a correlation between the 2 when taking the machines to the edge.

post #381 of 789 Old 05-31-2012, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Having said that, the drivers that you mentioned did have a little arrogance about them especially Senna.

If you're a three-time world champion, you're entitled to a little arrogance.

Think of how much more he could have achieved if Frank Williams and Patrick Head hadn't killed him and then, along with Charlie Whiting, conspired to destroy the black box evidence.
post #382 of 789 Old 06-01-2012, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I don't watch Indy cars (the going-around-in-a-circle thing doesn't appeal to me), but I do read about it from time to time.

You've missed a lot then, because there's not a lot of going around in a circle happening in IndyCar - it's mostly street and track racing now.
post #383 of 789 Old 06-01-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

I thought you were taking nominations F1 v. rally is an old discussion as to the best drivers. In that discussion, it's assumed those are the only two categories from which to choose. Rules are simple - it has to be a car, and it has to accelerate, decelerate and turn in both directions during the course of its duties.

What people don't think about seems to me, is that while the best drivers are at the top of F1 and rally, the backmarkers in F1 are just as bad as any backmarker.

I wasn't trying to come up with a list, but a list with your rules would have to include Nascar as well. Either way, the top Indy driver would be about 40th on the list. DOH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

If you're a three-time world champion, you're entitled to a little arrogance.

Think of how much more he could have achieved if Frank Williams and Patrick Head hadn't killed him and then, along with Charlie Whiting, conspired to destroy the black box evidence.

WOW, you believe they killed him. If you are going to blame those three, then what about F1 changing the rules for the '94 season. Senna would have been fine in an active suspension '93 car that didn't bottom out.

Also, I think Senna may have raced only one or two more seasons. If he had won another championship, then there was a good possiblity he would have retired. His respect and admiration of Fangio meant that he didn't want to surpass his five championships.

post #384 of 789 Old 06-01-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

Good point.
Although I don't think they murdered him, but there is no question in my mind there was a cover up into what exactly was the reason for his crash.
And I don't think it was "driver error."

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

it's mostly street and track racing now.

Hmmm...maybe I need to check it out.

post #385 of 789 Old 06-01-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

You've missed a lot then, because there's not a lot of going around in a circle happening in IndyCar - it's mostly street and track racing now.

Agreed. I've been getting into IndyCar a bit more in the last few years. It's not F1- nothing compares- but the racing isn't bad, the courses are interesting and I love the design of the cars this year. Compare that to F1, where the design of the cars has gotten a bit homely recently.
post #386 of 789 Old 06-01-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Sunday's IndyCar race:

http://www.indycar.com/en/Schedule

(Formerly IRL...err...C.A.R.T. what?)

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
post #387 of 789 Old 06-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

What a disappointment. Regular tickets went on sale today for the Austin race. There are no main grandstand tickets available.

This is a huge issue with me. I think we will skip Austin and hit Montreal next year. If I am going to spend $4k in airfare, tickets, hotel and food I at least want to see the cars cross the finish line.

Rodney
post #388 of 789 Old 06-06-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcase13 View Post

What a disappointment. Regular tickets went on sale today for the Austin race. There are no main grandstand tickets available.
This is a huge issu e with me. I think we will skip Austin and hit Montreal next year. If I am going to spend $4k in airfare, tickets, hotel and food I at least want to see the cars cross the finish line.
I'll bet dollars to donuts Austin will be a frickin' mess with its first GP.
Something tells me the word "organized" will never be used when talking about this fall's race....wink.gif

post #389 of 789 Old 06-06-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Something tells me the word "organized" will never be used when talking about this fall's race....wink.gif
You never know - I went to the inaugural Long Beach GP and it was heaven. Nobody there Friday and Saturday, had the run of the place. No internet then though ...

post #390 of 789 Old 06-07-2012, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

We just decided not to go and canceled our hotel. We'll see how things go before deciding to attend anything next year.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page