Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post

Well, I do not have high hopes for this:
http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268756/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=z8sEwVpK
Tweets from Matchett, Hobbs, and Buxton do not make it sound like they are going to be on the NBC Broadcast team. I hope that will change.
I will not be happy if NBC goes to tape delay for the races.
I expect the worst, but hope for the best.
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

S.O.B.!mad.gif
This is a very sad day.....eek.giffrown.giffrown.gif

Yes it is a sad day. The probability that NBC will air F1 races that start at Zero Dark Thirty in the US ranges between slim and none. Tape delay, here we come. Too bad, too bad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 789 Old 10-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Maybe they will air live on NBC Sports network? They can certainly use some good live content.
post #543 of 789 Old 10-12-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Buxton has been Tweeting up a storm on this. He is bumming out big time.

Brian
post #544 of 789 Old 10-12-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought this was pretty cool..

Brian
post #545 of 789 Old 10-12-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post

Maybe they will air live on NBC Sports network? They can certainly use some good live content.

Hadn't thought of that but it's a real possibility. I hope it happens. The NBC Sports Network is so obscure, I had to check Cox OKC's channel lineup to confirm that I even get it. I do get it and now remember that I watched some live programming from the London Olympics this summer. It would be neat if they showed the F1 races live, even if they did plan to present them at a later time on the big network. Guess we just have to wait and see what happens.
post #546 of 789 Old 10-12-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
When I read it, I assumed Comcast wants some branding for NBC Sports, and wants it now smile.gif I just hope they have they sense not to hire some carnival barker for main announcer (pretty traditional for U.S. racing) and that they at least show qualifying as a separate show. Be like the old days probably, with Monaco on the broadcast network, but now we'll be able to see the rest of the races as well.

Wonder how long the contract will be for, and how strong it is. Might just peter out and no F1 at all.

In a (close to) perfect world, this could turn out to be a good thing. Here's hoping ...

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #547 of 789 Old 10-12-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I'm concerned for the practices and qualifying. I'll miss F1 Debrief and the out-take reel from Buxton as well as Pit Pass.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #548 of 789 Old 10-12-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Well, I do not have high hopes for this:
http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268756/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=z8sEwVpK
Tweets from Matchett, Hobbs, and Buxton do not make it sound like they are going to be on the NBC Broadcast team. I hope that will change.
I will not be happy if NBC goes to tape delay for the races.
I expect the worst, but hope for the best.
Brian

You guys don't realize it, but live races on Speed were going to be in jeopardy anyway. Speed is going to be history soon, as per the article. I was curious what would happen to the bulk of F1 programming when Speed turned into Fox Sports 1 or whatever they wind up calling it. Either way, practices and qualifying would be on shaky ground due to lack of programming slots and live races would be slotted into whatever was available. F1 Debrief would almost certainly disappear soon.

Like you, I hope the existing team makes the transfer over to NBC, even the soothing voice of Bob Varsha. They have good chemistry and know their stuff.

One thing is for sure. Expect the wretched obtrusive graphics and scroll that NBC does for Indycar to show up on F1 broadcasts. I've been watching NBC Sports/Versus for too long to expect anything that approaches quality. For some reason the dopes over there think the more crap they put on the screen, the better.
post #549 of 789 Old 10-12-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

I'm concerned for the practices and qualifying. I'll miss F1 Debrief and the out-take reel from Buxton as well as Pit Pass.
Me too.

Speed's F1 racing broadcast team is the BEST in the business.
In fact, in all of sports....up there with Summerall/Madden.

I sincerely doubt we fans will get a better product with NBC.frown.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #550 of 789 Old 10-12-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Total bummer, i have been so happy with the SPEED coverage of F1, boy i hope it doesnt go downhill. :-(

never take life seriously
post #551 of 789 Old 10-15-2012, 02:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The most boring race of the year IMO.

Did anyone catch what Hobbs and Buxton said that Hulkenberg should have gotten the McLaren seat?
I could hardly believe my ears....eek.gifrolleyes.gif

post #552 of 789 Old 10-15-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, it certainly was NOT the most excititng race of the year, thats for sure.

I missed the Hulkenberg comment. I did hear them talk a little about losing the races next year, they were diplomatic but it was obvious they gonna miss doing them. I really hope NBC doesnt tape delay them, but i bet they will. Its hard for me to get on the computer on a Sunday morning and not find out what happened in the race overnight, right now its so nice to eat breakfast and watch the DVR'ed race early as if its live before i get on the computer.

Whats with Massa doing better? Some say its because he has signed for next year with Ferrari and is relaxed (even tho they havent announced a signing), others say he is trying so hard to keep his seat. I think its also possible that as Ferrari is changing the car and its definetely getting faster, it suits him and he is more comfortable and at one with the new chassis. I was sure for the last two years he was going to be gone, now i think he is going to stay.

Cant wait to see the F1 race in Austin, its not that far away. Anybody hear anything new on the New Jersey track? I heard there are various problems and there is a chance that it might not happen, i was really looking forward to that race, a race along the water with the New York skyline in the background, i hope they pull it off.

Dull weather (or was that smog?), and it made for a not so nice picture on the tv, the colors were muted from the lack of sunshine.

post #553 of 789 Old 10-15-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/49410415/ns/sports-motor_sports/
Quote:
The deal that begins next season will air four races on NBC. The remaining 16 races, and all practices and qualifying sessions will be on cable NBC Sports Network in what's expected to total more than 100 hours of annual programming.

All 20 races will be live streamed on NBC Sports Live Extra, the NBC Sports Group’s live-stream platform that is available online at NBCSports.com as well as on mobile and tablet apps.

Hopefully the crew jumps ship to NBC, and Varsha does the IndyCar PBP (He used to do CART back in the day).

http://www.racer.com/f1-finds-new-us-tv-home-on-nbc-for-four-years/article/263645/
Quote:
The plan is for all races to be live on air, with live streaming also planned for the 20-race schedule. More than 100 hours of programming are expected.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #554 of 789 Old 10-15-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I get NBCSP right now, but not on Hi-Def. My cable company says they are adding more Hi-Def stations next year, i gotta find out if this is one of them.

post #555 of 789 Old 10-15-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

https://twitter.com/NBCSportsPR/status/257855292279230464
Quote:
Originally Posted by @NBCSportsPR 
NBC Sports Group 2 televise all 20 #F1 races (4 on NBC & 16 on NBC Sports Network) plus qualifying practice sessions studio shows & re-airs

First I've heard of "studio shows". I wonder if that means they'll have something like F1 Debrief as well. Could it be NBC actually surprising me here?

And the official press release:
http://www.nbcuniversal.presscentre.com/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=13047
yankeeman likes this.

post #556 of 789 Old 10-15-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

I did hear them talk a little about losing the races next year, they were diplomatic but it was obvious they gonna miss doing them. I really hope NBC doesnt tape delay them, but i bet they will.

NBCSN shows all the IndyCar races live (including Japan), I doubt F1 will be any different. It's a niche channel to begin with, just like Speed.

I'm much more concerned with how Fox is butchering Speed than I am where F1 ends up, because there's a lot of other good racing on Speed that might not find a home now.
post #557 of 789 Old 10-15-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

https://twitter.com/NBCSportsPR/status/257855292279230464
First I've heard of "studio shows". I wonder if that means they'll have something like F1 Debrief as well. Could it be NBC actually surprising me here?
And the official press release:
http://www.nbcuniversal.presscentre.com/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=13047

This sounds bad. Other than the mention of live streaming, is there any mention ANYWHERE that practice, quali, and the races will be broadcast live??????

Wouldn't you think that if they were going to be live, they would say it?

And surely the 4 races on NBC proper will be tape delayed as they are now on Fox.

I sure hope I am wrong, but this looks very bad to me.

Brian
post #558 of 789 Old 10-15-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

NBCSN shows all the IndyCar races live, I doubt F1 will be any different. It's a niche channel to begin with, just like Speed.
I'm much more concerned with how Fox is butchering Speed than I am where F1 ends up, because there's a lot of other good racing on Speed that might not find a home now.

Those Indycar races are in Time Zones that make sense for live broadcast in North America. F1 races usually do not.

Brian
post #559 of 789 Old 10-15-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 271
As I edited, Japan was shown live. F1 will be live as well, I'd bet, with a taped copy run later in the day just as Speed does with F1.
post #560 of 789 Old 10-15-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This sounds bad. Other than the mention of live streaming, is there any mention ANYWHERE that practice, quali, and the races will be broadcast live??????

Uh....
Quote:

http://www.racer.com/f1-finds-new-us-tv-home-on-nbc-for-four-years/article/263645/
Quote:
The plan is for all races to be live on air, with live streaming also planned for the 20-race schedule. More than 100 hours of programming are expected.

Quote:

Those Indycar races are in Time Zones that make sense for live broadcast in North America. F1 races usually do not.
Brian

The 4 races shown on NBC will be Canada, Abu Dhabi, US, and Brazil. Other than Abu Dhabi, they are all in western hemisphere timezones. Abu Dhabi this year starts at 8am, a bit early, but not as early as some of the races. The rest of the races will be on NBC Sports Network, and they will be shown live. I'd agree with the speculation by slowbiscuit that they'll also be replayed at a more reasonable timeslot on NBSCN as well.

post #561 of 789 Old 10-15-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is the source of the article from the Racer site:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/nbc-sports-group-gets-us-rights-formula-one

And here is what they actually say, with a direct quote from NBC:

NBC Sports Group signed a four-year deal with Formula One for the exclusive U.S. media rights to the world's most popular global motorsports series.

The deal, which begins next season, will provide over 100 hours of programming across NBC and cable channel NBC Sports Network.

Jon Miller, president of programming for NBC Sports and NBC Sports Network, told The Associated Press on Sunday night it gives the network content to grow its motorsports presence. NBC Sports Network owns the rights to the bulk of the IndyCar Series schedule.

"This is an opportunity for us to get further engaged in open wheel racing and really acquire some great live first run content," Miller told The Associated Press on Sunday night.

"This gives us quality events to put on our air, and this is a sport with a huge following around the world that we feel we can grow in this country."

The agreement between NBC Sports Group and Formula One Management brings an end to the 17-year run cable channel Speed had as the U.S. rights holder to F1. A spokesman for parent company Fox Sports told The AP on Friday that Speed had been outbid by another network during contract negotiations.

Miller said only that NBC Sports Group had made "a significant financial commitment" and that a dialogue that began several months ago with FOM rapidly came together in this four-year agreement.

"NBC and its various media assets have a huge profile throughout the United States and I am obviously delighted to have concluded this agreement," Bernie Ecclestone, Formula One Group CEO, said in a statement.

"I feel that they will promote Formula One to a level not seen before in the United States."

NBC will air four races — the Canadian Grand Prix in June, and the final three races of the season in November — while the remaining 16 races will air on NBC Sports Network. All practice and qualifying sessions will also be on the cable station.

Miller said the intent is to broadcast everything live, but the network is working through a small number of scheduling conflicts. All 20 races will be live streamed on NBC Sports Group's live-stream platform.

The addition of F1 could also help NBC Sports Network with its IndyCar coverage, Miller said. There are four 2013 dates in which the F1 race be televised before the IndyCar race on the network.

"We think there's real upside for IndyCar and this super-serves the open wheel racing fan," Miller said. "There will be days we have a Formula One race at 9 a.m. and an IndyCar race at 1 p.m. — we walked the IndyCar people through that on Friday and they are excited about the opportunity."

Miller said NBC Sports Group will use F1's world feed, but is still ironing out its production details. The network will likely use a reporter on site at every event with a booth based in the U.S. — the same way Speed covered its races — but Miller indicated there was possibility of having an expanded on-site crew at certain events.
post #562 of 789 Old 10-15-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Whats with Massa doing better? Some say its because he has signed for next year with Ferrari and is relaxed (even tho they havent announced a signing), others say he is trying so hard to keep his seat. I think its also possible that as Ferrari is changing the car and its definetely getting faster, it suits him and he is more comfortable and at one with the new chassis. I was sure for the last two years he was going to be gone, now i think he is going to stay.
Funny how drivers up their performance when their jobs are definitely on the line.
It's a pattern we have seen before....wink.gif

Quote:
Cant wait to see the F1 race in Austin, its not that far away. Anybody hear anything new on the New Jersey track? I heard there are various problems and there is a chance that it might not happen, i was really looking forward to that race, a race along the water with the New York skyline in the background, i hope they pull it off.
Unfortunately, it looks like I can't go to Austin this year, but WILL be going to NJ in June.

post #563 of 789 Old 10-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Unfortunately, it looks like I can't go to Austin this year, but WILL be going to NJ in June.[/quote]

Same here. I have not heard anything about NJ ticket availability. Have you?
post #564 of 789 Old 10-15-2012, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm surprised NBC didn't list NJ as one of the 4 live races instead of Abu Dhabi, perhaps because it isn't 100% finalized. Definitely concerned about some races or qualifying sessions being delayed for other programming, and also concerned about losing the Three Amigos + Buxton. Also, NBC Sports picture quality is definitely worse than Speed on Comcast here...
post #565 of 789 Old 10-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Definitely some conflicts in June/July when the Tour de France is on at the same time on NBC Sports. The British and German Grand Prix clash with the live Tour coverage.
post #566 of 789 Old 10-15-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post

Unfortunately, it looks like I can't go to Austin this year, but WILL be going to NJ in June.
Quote:
Same here. I have not heard anything about NJ ticket availability. Have you?
No, I haven't.
I think it's just too early for tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore_dude View Post

I'm surprised NBC didn't list NJ as one of the 4 live races instead of Abu Dhabi, perhaps because it isn't 100% finalized.
Yeah, the Abu Dhabi race has me scratching my head....
Who in America cares about the Abu Dhabi race?
Sheesh....much MUCH more interest in the British GP.

Quote:
Definitely concerned about some races or qualifying sessions being delayed for other programming, and also concerned about losing the Three Amigos + Buxton.
My sentiments exactly.
If NBC screws up F1 broadcasting, like ABC DID with ALMS....mad.gif
Hell, they managed to essentially kill ALMS and forced it to merge with Grand Am.mad.gif

post #567 of 789 Old 10-15-2012, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

No, I haven't.
I think it's just too early for tickets.:

Interesting, because I already have my tickets for Canada. Maybe because the deal is not confirmed yet. I hope NJ works out.
post #568 of 789 Old 10-15-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore_dude View Post

I'm surprised NBC didn't list NJ as one of the 4 live races instead of Abu Dhabi, perhaps because it isn't 100% finalized. Definitely concerned about some races or qualifying sessions being delayed for other programming, and also concerned about losing the Three Amigos + Buxton. Also, NBC Sports picture quality is definitely worse than Speed on Comcast here...

Best explanation I've heard is that on NBC that day is some Golf tournament. Plus, I've heard that Bernie requires 4 races be on broadcast, and the NJ race still has some doubts, so them airing the NJ, then it not happening, they'd need to change the TV schedule later, and add another race to NBC.

post #569 of 789 Old 10-19-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 70
The race in New Jersey is a no go. They can't find investors.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/8178445/-New-Jersey-won-t-take-place-
post #570 of 789 Old 10-19-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I had read somewhere that the Jersey race would go on in 2014, damn, i was so looking forward to that race. I hope that maybe in 2014 it will go on, but i wanted it next year.

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page