CBS O&O stations to add subchannels... - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 91 Old 04-04-2011, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It should play with VLC. I believe you can try renaming the file to .ts and it will play on some other video players.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 91 Old 04-04-2011, 07:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Plays perfectly on Media Player Classic.
post #63 of 91 Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

It should play with VLC. I believe you can try renaming the file to .ts and it will play on some other video players.

Even though Windows didn't give me the choice of VLC I was able to tell my PC to use VLC and it played fine(figuratively speaking)
Not sure if it's just my setup but I did see bad jaggies and what looks like interlace problems. Stationary things including the audience looked quite good, just motion didn't look so good.
I only have a VGA cable going to my 1080 HDTV and use 1360 x768 for the resolution, not the best setup for PC watching so I'm not sure I'd trust my opinion as to the actual picture quality.
post #64 of 91 Old 04-05-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

But then it would record all of the PIDs including all of the subchannels. I don't know of any recording software that has this bug.

That is not a bug. far from it. When doing a capture with the MyHD-130a tuner card and software, the complete mux is captured.

That actually is a plus, as you can run TSR against the capture and see what your local OTA is doing.

If you edit the file, programs like VideoReDo allow you to select which stream to edit.

Definitely not a bug.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #65 of 91 Old 04-05-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

That is not a bug. far from it. When doing a capture with the MyHD-130a tuner card and software, the complete mux is captured.

It is a bug if you're telling it to record a single channel and it's wasting space by recording everything in the transport stream.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #66 of 91 Old 04-06-2011, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Not sure if it's just my setup but I did see bad jaggies and what looks like interlace problems. Stationary things including the audience looked quite good, just motion didn't look so good.

Try turning on the de-interlacer in VLC. However, be aware that the de-interlacer requires more CPU.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #67 of 91 Old 04-06-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post

Try turning on the de-interlacer in VLC. However, be aware that the de-interlacer requires more CPU.

Ron

Wow, thanks! that made a big difference. What is generally the best setting to use? I have a choice of: Discard, Blend, Mean, Bob, Linear, X, Yadif, Yadif (2x) I tried Linear which looked much better than disable but have no idea what these settings mean Any idea what a standard DVD player uses? Lastly is their a way to default the player to this setting? Everytime I exit VLC when I come back it seems to default to disable for deinterlace
post #68 of 91 Old 04-06-2011, 06:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

It is a bug if you're telling it to record a single channel and it's wasting space by recording everything in the transport stream.

One man's bug could be another man's feature.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

post #69 of 91 Old 04-06-2011, 07:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Any idea what a standard DVD player uses?

It doesn't DVD players put out NTSC interlaced video over the composite output.

Quote:

Lastly is their a way to default the player to this setting?

Not that I know of, but I haven't bug deep into the options to look.

Mr. Video

post #70 of 91 Old 04-06-2011, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The MyHD has options to record either a single program or the entire stream. I believe the single program option still keeps enough nullpackets in the recording to make it CBR for the handful of ancient programs that can't seek correctly with VBR files.
post #71 of 91 Old 04-06-2011, 10:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

I think I remember seeing that somewhere. I prefer to let it get the whole stream. Compared to other stuff that I capture, the size of an hour of full mux OTA is a drop in the bucket.

Mr. Video

post #72 of 91 Old 04-07-2011, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Wow, thanks! that made a big difference. What is generally the best setting to use? I have a choice of: Discard, Blend, Mean, Bob, Linear, X, Yadif, Yadif (2x) I tried Linear which looked much better than disable but have no idea what these settings mean ....

Unfortunately, there's no single setting that is "best". What looks best is highly dependant on the source material.

Bob just throws away half the frames and thus half the resolution so try to avoid Bob unless you just don't have enough CPU to do anything else. Or if the source material is causing problems for all the other deinterlacing schemes.

Blend, Mean and Linear all use various filters that will soften the picture a bit but should retain more detail than Bob. Depending on the source material, one might look better than the others.

I can't recall what "X" does.

YADIF and YADIF 2x use extremely complicated prediction algorithms. If you have enough CPU, YADIF will usually give the best results with the most detail. However, on some material, YADIF causes ghosting (double images). YADIF 2x is an attempt to eliminate the ghosting but takes even more CPU and doesn't always succeed in eliminating the ghosting.

If you have enough CPU, I'd suggest defaulting to YADIF and switch to something else only on material where you see ghosting or other artifacts.

In the attached thumbnail, you can see the controls for changing the default deinterlacing settings.
LL
post #73 of 91 Old 04-07-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Mac, I found the screen in your thumbnail and changed the Video Deinterlace to Linear(looked best to me, some settings looked washed out, others had noticeable loss in resolution and neither YADIF settings worked for me even though I've got a fairly recent Quad Core processor) but not a gaming PC by any means. Even after changing the preferences when I play the file again or relaunch VLC it still defaults to OFF oh well, not that big a deal to just click Linear each time I guess.
post #74 of 91 Old 04-08-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Discard throws away half the fields and is the fastest and lowest quality option. Bob converts each field into a frame, preserving 60Hz motion at the expense of loss of detail in non-moving areas. YADIF 2x preserves the 60Hz motion but uses information from adjacent fields to help reconstruct the missing data, resulting in the best looking picture but using a lot of CPU to do it.
post #75 of 91 Old 10-23-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
As previously announced, CBS O&O stations will add a locally oriented subchannel. LA & NYC were originally announced for the 3rd quarter. At at minimum, NYC will be delayed to sometime between now and the end of the year. Other O&O's are to follow.

One piece of info that is more defined than the original announcement, is I believe this will only happen for CBS O&O's with local news. Hopefully for viewers in Detroit, which is probably the only CBS O&O without local news, they may dodge the bullet.

Here is a news item last Tuesday from The New York Post.com:

Quote:

WCBS tries to bridge news and information-gathering power of local channels and sports media

BY RICHARD HUFF
DAILY NEWS TV EDITOR
Tuesday, October 18, 2011

WCBS/CH. 2 is working on final details for a digital channel to launch before the year's end that will rival WNBC/Ch. 4's Nonstop and the local cable news channels.

CBS New York Plus will combine the news- and information-gathering power of CBS' locally owned operations such as Ch. 2, NewsRadio 880 AM, 1010 WINS and sports radio WFAN 660 AM.

CBS TV Stations president Peter Dunn, also general manager of Ch. 2, says the new channel will be programmed in a "wheel" format with hourly updates.

"We have all of this content," says Dunn. "It really is a reflection of our CBS local media."

Word of the new channel first surfaced over the summer in Broadcasting & Cable magazine. The concept was pitched as a way to leverage the multimedia reach of CBS properties and give advertisers a way to buy all of them. Similar channels are to be rolled out eventually in other markets where CBS owns stations.

"This helps us to compete in a new business area," Dunn says.

It gives viewers yet another option locally for news and information. It also can provide another outlet for Ch. 2 during times of big breaking news.

Before that happens, though, Ch. 2 will unveil a new studio Thursday at noon.

The facility features banks of video monitors and multiple spots for anchors and correspondents to deliver news.

"We felt it was time for a new set, because of all the various changes in technology as well as [the need for] a fresh look. The old set was installed 10 years ago and it was time," Dunn says.

Talk about the new set began in January; design plans were approved in July.

"The lighting actually makes me look like I'm back in my 40s," weathercaster John Elliott joked on yesterday's early newscast. Both he and Rob Morrison raved about the high-tech facility.

During the past few weeks, newscasts have emanated from a small room in Ch. 2's W. 57th St. studios.

Ch. 2's studio is the second to debut in recent weeks. WABC/ Ch. 7's moved into a window-front studio on W. 66th St. three weeks ago. (Ch. 2, at one point, delivered some reports from a window-front facility in the GM building that was home to "The Early Show," before moving back to W. 57th.)

WPIX/Ch. 11 also is expected to reveal a new studio, trimmed with pastel greens and blues, on Oct. 28. And Ch. 4 has a new studio in the works, too.

Dunn said the new set isn't being launched just to get ratings.

"Our viewers expect more from the stations in this market," he says. It's still up to anchors, reporters, video and graphics staff, he adds, to work together and keep people watching night after night.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #76 of 91 Old 10-23-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well I learned something new today, I find it very surprising that a market of that size combined with the fact that a network O & O station doesn't have a local newscast.

And the FOUL!
post #77 of 91 Old 10-23-2011, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post

Well I learned something new today, I find it very surprising that a market of that size combined with the fact that a network O & O station doesn't have a local newscast.

Yes, it's very unusual, and there is an interesting story behind it. WJBK had been the CBS Detroit affiliate since 1948. In 1994, WJBK's owner New World Communications signed a deal to affiliate all it's stations with FOX (and in 1997 was purchased by FOX parent company News Corporation). CBS had very few options, and ended up buying a small religious UHF station (WGRP ch 62) with minimal local origination capabilities, certainly not on the level of a major market network affiliate. CBS did try to ramp up local news a couple of times, but was unsuccessful.

From Wiki:

Quote:

WWJ-TV is the only CBS-owned station not to produce local news. It is also the largest major-network affiliate, and the only owned-and-operated station of the four major American broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC), without a news department.

This Wiki page has the details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWJ-TV

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #78 of 91 Old 10-24-2011, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Even though I'm OTA only and even though I absolutely refuse to own a "smartphone", if the OTA broadcasters can't find anything better than this sh*t to fill their valuable spectrum then I'm leaning to having it taken away from them and sold to broadband carriers even though I'm in the minority group that would be most harmed by that decision.
post #79 of 91 Old 02-13-2014, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Clicking through my OTA channels and KCBS is still running 2.2 as an SD version of it's main channel. Then I found this thread and realized nearly two years have passed.

Are any CBS stations out there running a sub-channel that's not a duplicate SD?

bumpity bump so please update if you're enjoying (or just acknowledging) CBS's sub-channel.
post #80 of 91 Old 02-14-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22

My markets CBS station is not O&O but they run the CW network on the .2 subchannel.

Scott
post #81 of 91 Old 02-14-2014, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdawg View Post

Are any CBS stations out there running a sub-channel that's not a duplicate SD?

You'd be better off asking which (non-O&O) CBS stations DON'T run subchannels; the majority of them most likely DO; couple examples:

- KHQA 7 CBS Hannibal-Quincy also runs an ABC affiliate on .2...& BOTH are in HD

- in our market WCIA-3 CBS runs WCIX-49 MNTV on their .2 sub - however, on WCIX-49 .2, they run WCIA-3 in HD. (MNTV is SD in both cases)
This is done to get CBS HD out to our entire DMA (it physically covers a large area)
post #82 of 91 Old 02-14-2014, 08:25 AM

Liked: 14
CBS KTVT 11 in Dallas-Ft. Worth does not operate a sub-channel. And they usually have the best PQ.
post #83 of 91 Old 02-14-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 119
KPIX 5, San Francisco does not have a sub-channel....

Bobby 

post #84 of 91 Old 02-14-2014, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael252 View Post

CBS KTVT 11 in Dallas-Ft. Worth does not operate a sub-channel. And they usually have the best PQ.
They sure do in the DFW area. In the early days of HD, WFAA Channel 8 ran subchannels but would turn them off for 'event programming' like the NBA All Star game, Oscar telecast, etc. Of course, the picture quality was noticeably better. I no longer get my locals from an antenna, thanks D*, so I don't know if that's the case anymore.

Bill
post #85 of 91 Old 02-14-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 96
So if the local CBS affiliate already has a sub-channel will they add another sub-channel to that?

I know El Paso is not on that list but with only one sub, the PQ is just bad, specially sports, but adding another one I guess it'll be worse

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #86 of 91 Old 02-14-2014, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
In the Indianapolis area, WISH, channel 8 (virtual), is running a local weather channel on .2 and 24 hour radar on .3. I really enjoy being able to see weather forecasts and live radar anytime of the day from this CBS local station.
post #87 of 91 Old 02-17-2014, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

In Boston WBZ (4,the CBS OnO) and WSBK (38, a My Network TV affiliate owned by CBS) are still subchannel free
post #88 of 91 Old 02-24-2014, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If the station is owned by CBS, it will not have sub-channels... company policy. CBS affiliate stations, owned by others, are not included in this company policy. There are no sub-channels on any CBS owned stations today, despite all of the comments from 2011 in this thread.

Larry
SF

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists:

Lots of Broadcasting links and information:

Check out photos and info on my antennas:

post #89 of 91 Old 02-24-2014, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post

If the station is owned by CBS, it will not have sub-channels... company policy. CBS affiliate stations, owned by others, are not included in this company policy. There are no sub-channels on any CBS owned stations today, despite all of the comments from 2011 in this thread.

Larry
SF

actually this is outdated policy as KTXA added MeTV to 21.2 when the original local affiliate in DFW dropped MeTV in favor of independent programming. KTVT and KTXA are CBS O&O and there isn't much sports programming on KTXA except weekly Dallas Stars, Dallas Mavericks, and Texas Rangers games during their respective season along with college games during the fall and winter.
post #90 of 91 Old 02-27-2014, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What bitrate mbps for ota channels will result in picture quality being great,the way it used to be when there were no sub-channels? Also what is the bitrate for blue-ray ? Thanks for any info.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page