post #61 of 82 Old 04-13-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Is this the same series that was available on Netflix? We started watching it but it was a bit too graphic for my wife (she won't watch GoT either). I'd like to finish it but if it's different......

I doubt it's ever been streamed on Netflix. And, while I haven't seen the other show you mention, THE BORGIAS is a Showtime series and is probably even more graphic than the program you've seen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 82 Old 04-13-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

I doubt it's ever been streamed on Netflix. And, while I haven't seen the other show you mention, THE BORGIAS is a Showtime series and is probably even more graphic than the program you've seen

I don't know. GoT (Game of Thrones) is pretty graphic as was the Borgias we started watching. Which, I remember now, was a European "tv" series. Lots of sex and violence.
post #63 of 82 Old 04-13-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know. GoT (Game of Thrones) is pretty graphic as was the Borgias we started watching. Which, I remember now, was a European "tv" series. Lots of sex and violence.

Anything like a cannon-fired bolo, in which the cord wraps around the victim, splitting the body apart?

post #64 of 82 Old 04-13-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I find The Borgia's entertaining...lots of swarmy characters, palace intrigue, etc. Some episodes were excellent, some just didn't make the cut, but all in all, the first 2 seasons were entertaining. As far as the violence, there were a few battle scenes that were extreme, but it never reached GOTs consistent level of mayhem. Mostly poisonings, duels and stabbings were featured. Sexually, GOT is much more graphic. Seems like sex during the Renaissance was done in nightshirts mostly:D:D

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #65 of 82 Old 04-13-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Anything like a cannon-fired bolo, in which the cord wraps around the victim, splitting the body apart?

I can confirm that the GoT IS more graphic then the Borgias....From beheadings to cutting off of mens nipples,,,,If you havent watched GoT well then I fell sorry for you wink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #66 of 82 Old 04-13-2013, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Is this the same series that was available on Netflix? We started watching it but it was a bit too graphic for my wife (she won't watch GoT either). I'd like to finish it but if it's different......
I believe the one on Netflix is a different series. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1736341/?ref_=sr_2

Loren
post #67 of 82 Old 04-13-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I can confirm that the GoT IS more graphic then the Borgias....From beheadings to cutting off of mens nipples,,,,If you havent watched GoT well then I fell sorry for you wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Been there from the start

post #68 of 82 Old 04-14-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsollee View Post

I believe the one on Netflix is a different series. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1736341/?ref_=sr_2

Yes. That's the one. There seems to be a couple of different ones. The Borgias, with Jeremy Irons, the one from Showtime coming up (don't know if that's the Jeremy Irons one or not), and then this one, Borgia.
post #69 of 82 Old 04-14-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes. That's the one. There seems to be a couple of different ones. The Borgias, with Jeremy Irons, the one from Showtime coming up (don't know if that's the Jeremy Irons one or not), and then this one, Borgia.

The Showtime series is the one with Jeremy Irons. Starts tonight.

post #70 of 82 Old 04-15-2013, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've watched every episode since the beginning and this was a great episode. Best show on TV.

These are just my opinions.
post #71 of 82 Old 05-14-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 453
I have really been enjoying The Borgias this season. It tells an exciting and complex story and has a top of the line ensemble cast. The Borgia family are certainly criminals but but they are appealing criminals. In this week's episode, I thought the way Cesare arranged to finish off King Ferdinand by having Michelotto push him into a pond filled with flesh eating eels was particularly satisfying. The King should have understood that there would be a price to be paid for making Cesare's sister have sex in front of an audience. I think it's a tossup whether Cesare or his lethal henchman, Michelotto, is the more dangerous. Anyway, King Ferdinand was a classic example of somebody who "needed killin'."
post #72 of 82 Old 05-15-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I have really been enjoying The Borgias this season. It tells an exciting and complex story and has a top of the line ensemble cast. The Borgia family are certainly criminals but but they are appealing criminals. In this week's episode, I thought the way Cesare arranged to finish off King Ferdinand by having Michelotto push him into a pond filled with flesh eating eels was particularly satisfying. The King should have understood that there would be a price to be paid for making Cesare's sister have sex in front of an audience. I think it's a tossup whether Cesare or his lethal henchman, Michelotto, is the more dangerous. Anyway, King Ferdinand was a classic example of somebody who "needed killin'."
Yes, I agree. During the first 2 seasons I had issues with both the Juan and Lucretia characters when on screen. Not about the acting, but how they either subverted the story or slowed it down. Obviously, the Pooper and Ceasare where the two most compelling characters...along with Micheletto. Now, Lucretia has come into her own as a true Borgia, Pooper can scheme and undervalue his No.1 son, but Ceasare is the gem, smart, caring and totally ruthless...a wonderful character. The actor, a French Canadian, whose name I can't recall, eats the screen and steals every scene. He's one to watch. The most mysterious and compelling character, other than Ceasare, is Micheletto. He seems a totally loyal (and I tend to believe it) guard dog assassin who must have a very complex moral compass, because he's totally ruthless and awesomely violent...yet he calls Ceasare "Master". Great stuff.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #73 of 82 Old 05-15-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Yes, I agree. During the first 2 seasons I had issues with both the Juan and Lucretia characters when on screen. Not about the acting, but how they either subverted the story or slowed it down. Obviously, the Pooper and Ceasare where the two most compelling characters...along with Micheletto. Now, Lucretia has come into her own as a true Borgia, Pooper can scheme and undervalue his No.1 son, but Ceasare is the gem, smart, caring and totally ruthless...a wonderful character. The actor, a French Canadian, whose name I can't recall, eats the screen and steals every scene. He's one to watch. The most mysterious and compelling character, other than Ceasare, is Micheletto. He seems a totally loyal (and I tend to believe it) guard dog assassin who must have a very complex moral compass, because he's totally ruthless and awesomely violent...yet he calls Ceasare "Master". Great stuff.

I agree on all points. When Juan was still alive and Lucretia was still hooked up with the kid who fathered her child they did indeed hurt the show. At first, I didn't know what to make of Cesare either but later events have clearly established that he is a star, even if his father won't admit it. As you say, Lucretia has turned out to be a formidable lady, just as tough and just as smart as her father and brother. The name of the tall young actor who plays Cesare is François Arnaud. He has been given a great role and has been up to it. Michelotto isn't just a loyal soldier, he is a loyal super soldier. Talk about a scary fellow!
post #74 of 82 Old 05-15-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:

Michelotto isn't just a loyal soldier, he is a loyal super soldier. Talk about a scary fellow!

He [Sean Harris] was one of the incredibly stupid astronauts in Prometheus last year as well.
post #75 of 82 Old 05-15-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

He [Sean Harris] was one of the incredibly stupid astronauts in Prometheus last year as well.

Prometheus made my eyes glaze over when I saw it in the theater and I liked it only marginally better when I watched it again in my home theater. Thus, it will come as no surprise to you that despite my high regard for Sean Harris' performances as Michelotto, I hadn't realized that he was in Prometheus. Thanks for the heads up.
post #76 of 82 Old 05-15-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Prometheus made my eyes glaze over when I saw it in the theater and I liked it only marginally better when I watched it again in my home theater. Thus, it will come as no surprise to you that despite my high regard for Sean Harris' performances as Michelotto, I hadn't realized that he was in Prometheus. Thanks for the heads up.
It just came to me why Micheletto is so loyal to Ceasare. The episode where he is revealed to be gay. It was kind of a one off. However, since their first interatctions (C/M), they've fought, trained and gone on to do viscious deeds. It's obvious, the reason M is so loyal is that he loves C. Hadn't put that together...great stuff.

post #77 of 82 Old 06-11-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Have now seen this week's episode of The Borgias, The Gunpowder Plot, and was blown away. As riveting as the scene in which Cesare took fiery revenge on his lieutenant who had betrayed him, the final scene was better. It made me believe that the Pope and Cesare really had finally made their peace. It was brilliantly written, no surprise there, though. The brilliant Neil Jordan both wrote and directed it. I thought the performances of Jeremy Irons as the Pope and François Arnaud as Cesare were equally brilliant.

The episode was so wonderful, it made me fear that the show had been cancelled and Jordan was determined to see it off in a blaze of gory. Sure enough, The Borgias has been cancelled. I can hardly wait for June 23 to see the series finale. I shall mourn its passing.
post #78 of 82 Old 06-12-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27

The preview for the finale had a "grand finale" tag on it, but the show was filmed long before cancellation was known.  I don't know if they re-edited the finale or are just making calling it one, but I hope it has a sense of "finale" to it, with no dangling threads.  It's been pretty well done and enjoyable so I'd like to see a nice finish.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #79 of 82 Old 06-12-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Jordan has stated that he's in negotiations with Showtime to do a true finale...a 2 hour movie. Sounds like hopes and dreams to me, ala Deadwood.

post #80 of 82 Old 06-12-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Jordan has stated that he's in negotiations with Showtime to do a true finale...a 2 hour movie. Sounds like hopes and dreams to me, ala Deadwood.

Yeah, we know how that goes. frown.gif After a show is cancelled, the Network is typically loath to spend any more money on it. If it were popular enough for fans to clamor for a proper ending they probably wouldn't have cancelled it to begin with. I've really enjoyed 'The Borgias' and all that delicious scandal, betrayal, deceit, and debauchery. The "original crime family", indeed.
post #81 of 82 Old 06-12-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Yeah, we know how that goes. frown.gif After a show is cancelled, the Network is typically loath to spend any more money on it. If it were popular enough for fans to clamor for a proper ending they probably wouldn't have cancelled it to begin with. I've really enjoyed 'The Borgias' and all that delicious scandal, betrayal, deceit, and debauchery. The "original crime family", indeed.
Yeah, it was inconsistent, ep to ep, but there was some fine storytelling, excellent acting and overall a ripping yarn. I'd really like to see more of Arnaud. The guy eats the screen.

post #82 of 82 Old 07-19-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Finished off a marathon watch last night of Season 3 .. I have to say with a few episodes as the exception, this season was the most bland of the 3 and I can certainly see why it's been cancelled ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page