The Killing on AMC HD - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
nlk10010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

Actually, you can consider the show as having been completed as I do. The councilman is the killer and he is killed in the end by that "family man" Belko.

The wannabe detective from "county" was just another insider paid off by the Mayor to make sure that Darren "goes down" to insure the Mayor's reelection. The only thing the bad cop did was to supply the altered pictures as the "final nail" in the coffin of Darren's campaign.

I now leave this series satisfied with my above explanation rather than giving a damn about some feeble attempt (via a last second invitation to go to the AMC web site) to get me to watch next year. This reminds me of the awful PERSONS UNKNOWN series of last season that attempted to start over the next year on a ship. Even NBC didn't fall for that. It appears AMC is not so picky.

Well, what you've described as an ending is consistent with what went before, which is a far cry from being what the writers intend. I could come up with any number of alternative scenarios that are as well consistent, it's just that they couldn't all be the correct ending (whatever "correct" means, of course, this whole series could be an attempt at presenting a DIY crime show).

I agree with you about PU, BTW, liked the series but p****d at the ending.
nlk10010 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
grittree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 2,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Mo Ryan is beyond upset over the ending. Her final words are "I do know one thing. 'The Killing' has killed off any interest I had in ever watching the show again. That is one fact I can state conclusively."
http://www.aoltv.com/2011/06/19/the-...-finale-recap/
grittree is online now  
post #273 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
markmathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From the sounds of it, I'm glad I haven't seen the danish version. Apparently that's quite a bit better than the u.s. version but I really liked it. I thought the characters and acting were cool and don't mind the cliff hanger ending. Just sucks we have to wait so long til next season...
markmathers is offline  
post #274 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Randy Bessinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

Mo Ryan is beyond upset over the ending. Her final words are "I do know one thing. 'The Killing' has killed off any interest I had in ever watching the show again. That is one fact I can state conclusively."
http://www.aoltv.com/2011/06/19/the-...-finale-recap/

I won't be watching it next year either. Who gives a sh*t who killed her now since it is obvious there won't ever be any satisfaction. For some dumb reason, I thought we would get closure on this and a new murder and investigation next year. Oh well, another one bites the dust. Wait, maybe the writers could be killed next year. I might tune in for that.
Randy Bessinger is offline  
post #275 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,351
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 273
I am still trying to avoid who the killer is in the original in case they said it wasn't the same, but it turns out that it is. I don't have a problem with how the finale was handled. We knew there would be a cliffhanger, so I was expecting that Rosie's killer would come out next season. I'll be back next year (if that's when it airs) as this is a good spring series and right now I don't see much else that's new that could replace it.
Ph8te is online now  
post #276 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bruce73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

Mo Ryan is beyond upset over the ending. Her final words are "I do know one thing. 'The Killing' has killed off any interest I had in ever watching the show again. That is one fact I can state conclusively."
http://www.aoltv.com/2011/06/19/the-...-finale-recap/

Damn. I wonder what she really thought.

Since my emotional investment in the show had waned considerably in the last few weeks, I didn't have quite the same visceral reaction, but totally agree with her assessment. I was waiting to finish the US version before watching the Danish one, figuring it would be interesting to contrast them (even though I would know who dunnit). My interest in the original has now just doubled.
bruce73 is offline  
post #277 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

Mo Ryan is beyond upset over the ending. Her final words are "I do know one thing. 'The Killing' has killed off any interest I had in ever watching the show again. That is one fact I can state conclusively."
http://www.aoltv.com/2011/06/19/the-...-finale-recap/

I agree with the Mo Ryan piece. The finale of Season 1 of The Killing was poorly constructed and entirely unsatisfactory. It turned the show into a shaggy dog story for the ages. I am canceling my season pass. Fool me once, and all that.
gwsat is online now  
post #278 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

Since my emotional investment in the show had waned considerably in the last few weeks, I didn't have quite the same visceral reaction, but totally agree with her assessment. I was waiting to finish the US version before watching the Danish one, figuring it would be interesting to contrast them (even though I would know who dunnit). My interest in the original has now just doubled.

I now want to see the original Danish series even more, too. I can't imagine that a show which was so popular and garnered as much critical acclaim as the original version of The Killing could end on a note as jarringly unsatisfactory as the US version of The Killing. As an earlier poster noted, I feel as if I were a kid who has been victimized by a mail order scam.
gwsat is online now  
post #279 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bruce73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I now want to see the original Danish series even more, too. I can't imagine that a show which was so popular and garnered as much critical acclaim as the original version of The Killing did could end on a note as jarringly unsatisfactory as the US version of The Killing. As an earlier poster noted, I feel as if I were a kid who has been victimized by a mail order scam.

Generally speaking, it seems WTF cliffhangers are the American norm. Whether it's pandering to American tastes or arrogantly dismissing the audience's intelligence, networks are after the bottom line: continued viewership (read: money). Sadly, there's more that will tune in next season to see exactly what the hell just happened, than those so turned off who won't.

Mo Ryan believes that the AMC execs should have stepped in to quash the direction of the finale, but I'm not so sure they didn't play an active part in shaping it.
bruce73 is offline  
post #280 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Randy Bessinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

Generally speaking, it seems WTF cliffhangers are the American norm. .

Cliffhangers are fine. I like them. Falsely building up expectations of an "answer" is just basically a middle finger to the people who watched the series. I mean really a poll as to who did it on the website....what a bunch of crap. I looked at this show somewhat as a game of clue that has an endgame rather than the writers taking the board and throwing it out the window. Who dit it? Answer nobody did it and nobody died in the making of this farce. Next series please. And to think they took off Rubicon and gave us this sh#t.
Randy Bessinger is offline  
post #281 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 43
BTW - a heads up for anyone considering watching the Danish series. So far the only HD release I've found is the German Blu-ray - but this appears to just have a German dubbed soundtrack rather than the Danish original.

The UK DVD release has English subtitles (but is 50Hz and I think Region 2) - not sure if it there has been a North America release.
sneals2000 is offline  
post #282 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

BTW - a heads up for anyone considering watching the Danish series. So far the only HD release I've found is the German Blu-ray - but this appears to just have a German dubbed soundtrack rather than the Danish original.

The UK DVD release has English subtitles (but is 50Hz and I think Region 2) - not sure if it there has been a North America release.

Although I would like to see the Danish version of The Killing, unless I can get it on Region 1 BDs, I'll pass on it.
gwsat is online now  
post #283 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
barth2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 52
By my count, AMC was batting 1000. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead (not on same level as other two, but as good as you can expect a zombie series to be). Wow did they screw this one up.

I was expecting them to pull another twist, but they left it all hanging, and worse, screwed up the most sympathetic character on the show! How stupid is that by Holder. It'll be so easy for any decent defense counsel to figure out the photo is fake and there go the case and his and his partner's career.

Irony: I had Rubicon recorded and decided not to watch because AMC cancelled it. I should've waited with Killing.

The thing that really sticks in my craw is this show just did not earn this ending. It has some very fine acting, but basically after 5 eps or so it became clear that Killing is a long drawn out procedural and not a character or sociological study. It's not freaking Mad Men or The Wire. As I said the best drawn character is Holder, and they screwed him up. I think everybody was just watching to see how it would end, and it didn't!

They need to either forget the whole thing and start fresh with new characters, or just wrap this up in one episode and do a new case. But Holder is ruined so it seems hardly worth it. Epic Fail.
barth2k is online now  
post #284 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Randy Bessinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

By my count, AMC was batting 1000. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead (not on same level as other two, but as good as you can expect a zombie series to be). Wow did they screw this one up.

I was expecting them to pull another twist, but they left it all hanging, and worse, screwed up the most sympathetic character on the show! How stupid is that by Holder. It'll be so easy for any decent defense counsel to figure out the photo is fake and there go the case and his and his partner's career.

Irony: I had Rubicon recorded and decided not to watch because AMC cancelled it. I should've waited with Killing.

The thing that really sticks in my craw is this show just did not earn this ending. It has some very fine acting, but basically after 5 eps or so it became clear that Killing is a long drawn out procedural and not a character or sociological study. It's not freaking Mad Men or The Wire. As I said the best drawn character is Holder, and they screwed him up. I think everybody was just watching to see how it would end, and it didn't!

They need to either forget the whole thing and start fresh with new characters, or just wrap this up in one episode and do a new case. But Holder is ruined so it seems hardly worth it. Epic Fail.

Amen. IMO, they didn't develop any empathy for any of the characters so I watched just for the storyline. Heck, it could have been Linden's kid that did it (or linden herself for all I cared) and then they make everyone a subject and then end it and then end it again starting over with eveyone a subject.
Randy Bessinger is offline  
post #285 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree with the Mo Ryan piece. The finale of Season 1 of The Killing was poorly constructed and entirely unsatisfactory. It turned the show into a shaggy dog story for the ages. I am canceling my season pass. Fool me once, and all that.

I agree with her as well, she nailed just about every issue I had with it. The unsolved mystery(it's American, we need to have a cliffhanger!), and the ridiculous and shoddy plot contrivances to create that cliffhanger ending. What a waste of 13 hrs of TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I now want to see the original Danish series even more, too. I can't imagine that a show which was so popular and garnered as much critical acclaim as the original version of The Killing did could end on a note as jarringly unsatisfactory as the US version of The Killing. As an earlier poster noted, I feel as if I were a kid who has been victimized by a mail order scam.

You will love the Danish version, as I've noted before, it's in a completely different quality universe than the AMC version, superior in every aspect. The creators/owners of Forbrydelsen(The Killing) should strip AMC of any licensing deal they may have had simply for embarrassing the brand with this garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Although I would like to see the Danish version of The Killing, unless I can get it on Region 1 BDs, I'll pass on it.

While I love the quality of BD as much as the next person, my viewing of the BBC DVD release didn't leave me wanting for better audio/video at all, it's simply not that sort of show. Sure, there were probably some scenes and moments where that BD quality would have been nice, but if you have access to a region free DVD player, I highly, highly recommend you give it a try instead of waiting until who knows when for a BD release.
Keenan is online now  
post #286 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 3,918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I was a little disappointed too. I would like to see the Danish version and perhaps it was kept off market in the US due to the AMC version. Maybe now it will be released and hopefully streaming.
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #287 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
moob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
A little list of plot inconsistencies/absurdities: http://www.avclub.com/articles/orphe...on_tv_calendar

This one made me lol: Between the school dance and her shift at the casino, Rosie felt the need to schlep out to Bennet’s house to return a book, even though she would have seen him Monday morning at school. And they forgot about the chemicals on her person.

Like many of you, I'm out. I can't believe they had the balls to create an ad campaign with the tagline, "Who killed Rosie Larson?" Turns out, everyone did apparently...or could have anyway.

Hopefully it gets better for those of you sticking around for next season.
moob is offline  
post #288 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dm145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 4,815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post
Hopefully it gets better for those of you sticking around for next season.
I won't be sticking around for another over hyped season !

found it very boring
ending was weak
hd pq on my cable system was absoulutely pitiful
oh yeah, did i mention it was very boring

two thumbs down
wanted to bail a few weeks ago but thought it would get better
well, it never did
dm145 is offline  
post #289 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 04:51 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
mikey mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 2,384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post
Cliffhangers are fine. I like them. Falsely building up expectations of an "answer" is just basically a middle finger to the people who watched the series. I mean really a poll as to who did it on the website....what a bunch of crap. I looked at this show somewhat as a game of clue that has an endgame rather than the writers taking the board and throwing it out the window. Who dit it? Answer nobody did it and nobody died in the making of this farce. Next series please. And to think they took off Rubicon and gave us this sh#t.
I've posted the same thing. You just said it better.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

mikey mo is offline  
post #290 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post
A little list of plot inconsistencies/absurdities: http://www.avclub.com/articles/orphe...on_tv_calendar

This one made me lol: Between the school dance and her shift at the casino, Rosie felt the need to schlep out to Bennet’s house to return a book, even though she would have seen him Monday morning at school.
Bizarre. The book return is the same storyline as the Danish version, but in the Danish version it made total sense and was completely explained (for reasons I won't go into here to avoid spoiling it for anyone who wants to see the original - and by the sound of it much better - version).

Sounds like the US version has retained some of the Danish plot, but changed other elements, but in doing so it has meant that some of the element retained simply don't make sense?

There were some messy unanswered questions in the Danish version - but that was part of it's charm throughout. Not every question has an answer, and if it wasn't relevant to the investigation you didn't get a conclusion.

Having read the recent posts in this thread, I'm not sure I'm that interested in the US remake. Think I'll just wait for "Forbrydelsen II" when it starts here later this year.
sneals2000 is offline  
post #291 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post
You will love the Danish version, as I've noted before, it's in a completely different quality universe than the AMC version, superior in every aspect. The creators/owners of Forbrydelsen(The Killing) should strip AMC of any licensing deal they may have had simply for embarrassing the brand with this garbage.
Yep - I suspect I'll watch an episode of the AMC remake when it starts airing over here on Channel Four (if it hasn't already) - just to confirm my fears.

The acting in the Danish version, is really fantastic, and the way they manage to have great production values without it feeling too "glossy" is a textbook example in how to deliver quality without detracting from the telling of the story.

Seldom have I been so drawn in to a show, and counted the days to the next episodes.

The BBC got audiences of over 0.5million with the Danish original, and it aired on "BBC Four" which is a pretty low-budget, low-rating channel (with some very good programmes on it though) and I think they were amazed that it did so well. BBC Four also aired the Swedish SVT and TV4 "Wallander" series to a very good response, and have bought another Danish series from DR. (Scandinavia produces some excellent TV crime drama)

Quote:
While I love the quality of BD as much as the next person, my viewing of the BBC DVD release didn't leave me wanting for better audio/video at all, it's simply not that sort of show. Sure, there were probably some scenes and moments where that BD quality would have been nice, but if you have access to a region free DVD player, I highly, highly recommend you give it a try instead of waiting until who knows when for a BD release.
Me too. I'm desperate to watch Blu-ray wherever possible. However it looks as if DR shot "Forbrydelsen" on electronic HD cameras, and the downconversion to DVD still looks pretty good.

Whilst I try and watch HD content as much as I can - I'd still chose to watch this on DVD than a Blu-ray of an inferior show.

The thing I find most annoying about DVDs these days is the lack of nice anti-aliased subtitles...
sneals2000 is offline  
post #292 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 05:10 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
mikey mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 2,384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I don't know why I continue to torture myself. But I had to (and did) read the TELEVISION column in USA TODAY (6/20/11). It's entitled "Danish-based series looks to Season2".

Basically, the column author spoke with the executive producer. The EP is quite proud of her work. The EP says she can't worry about fans impatience. The only paradigm the EP has right now is how they felt as writers, and there was a lot of excitement with tons of on-the-edge-of-your-seat moments. The EP promises loose ends eventually will be tied. "The Rosie Larsen case in Season 2 will eventually be solved, and there will be a new case".

AMC officials say they won't make us wait until next spring to find out what happens. They're planning to bring the show back early next year. AMC offically renewed the series just last week.

I can't recall ever having read so much Bull S....

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

mikey mo is offline  
post #293 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 06:40 PM
KOA
Advanced Member
 
KOA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The idea that I'm thinking "I hope they don't bring back Rosie as a vampire" is not a good sign.
KOA is offline  
post #294 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 4,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
By my count, AMC was batting 1000. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead (not on same level as other two, but as good as you can expect a zombie series to be). Wow did they screw this one up.

The thing that really sticks in my craw is this show just did not earn this ending. It has some very fine acting, but basically after 5 eps or so it became clear that Killing is a long drawn out procedural and not a character or sociological study. It's not freaking Mad Men or The Wire. As I said the best drawn character is Holder, and they screwed him up. I think everybody was just watching to see how it would end, and it didn't!

They need to either forget the whole thing and start fresh with new characters, or just wrap this up in one episode and do a new case. But Holder is ruined so it seems hardly worth it. Epic Fail.
This, +1000. We just watched it and can't believe that they trashed Holder in the end, right when you thought that he and Linden were making a good team together. ESPECIALLY after that bottle ep where he stood by her all day as she looked for her son.

What a waste, this show was very nicely done up until the last ep, then they blew it. Kind of like Lost in microcosm. I don't even care who really did it or why at this point, but was highly looking forward to the finish beforehand.

Ugh.
slowbiscuit is offline  
post #295 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,351
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

This, +1000. We just watched it and can't believe that they trashed Holder in the end, right when you thought that he and Linden were making a good team together. ESPECIALLY after that bottle ep where he stood by her all day as she looked for her son.

What a waste, this show was very nicely done up until the last ep, then they blew it. Kind of like Lost in microcosm. I don't even care who really did it or why at this point, but was highly looking forward to the finish beforehand.

Ugh.

How did they ruin Holder? Let's be honest we didn't know much about him to begin with and his entrance and backstory were questionable at best. He played his role very well you and others upset because you got duped into thinking he was a "good guy"? Linden was so wrapped up in this case she let her self be duped and we saw this more than once throughout the season. Once he knew how easy it would be to influence her Holder didn't have to do much. Remember he was the one who guided her throughout the final episode and planted all the little tidbits of information in her head knowing what she would do. If anything it made me like him more (I tend to like the bad guys anyways). Go back and watch the season and now we know what all or at least some of) those meetings with the man in the town car were for. We saw and people commented on his questionable tactics during the season, but everyone brushed it off since he HAS to be good.

I'm looking forward to the next season, I wasn't bothered at all by what happened. I do understand that people are upset about AMC promotion, but really this is their 1st foray into the social interweb (that I can recall). Maybe if they had promoted it differently and used it as am tie in without the hoopla maybe people wouldn't be so upset.
Ph8te is online now  
post #296 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 07:35 PM
KOA
Advanced Member
 
KOA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

How did they ruin Holder? Let's be honest we didn't know much about him to begin with and his entrance and backstory were questionable at best. He played his role very well you and others upset because you got duped into thinking he was a "good guy"? Linden was so wrapped up in this case she let her self be duped and we saw this more than once throughout the season. Once he knew how easy it would be to influence her Holder didn't have to do much. Remember he was the one who guided her throughout the final episode and planted all the little tidbits of information in her head knowing what she would do. If anything it made me like him more (I tend to like the bad guys anyways). Go back and watch the season and now we know what all or at least some of) those meetings with the man in the town car were for. We saw and people commented on his questionable tactics during the season, but everyone brushed it off since he HAS to be good.

I'm looking forward to the next season, I wasn't bothered at all by what happened. I do understand that people are upset about AMC promotion, but really this is their 1st foray into the social interweb (that I can recall). Maybe if they had promoted it differently and used it as am tie in without the hoopla maybe people wouldn't be so upset.

He was a good guy trying to help Linden search for her son. He even cancelled his date which seemed important. Also he volunteered to be a male role model for her son if the the real Dad didn't work out.

I have to go back and replay the ending but is it possible Holder was also "duped" by the photo thought it real?
KOA is offline  
post #297 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 07:51 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOA View Post

He was a good guy trying to help Linden search for her son. He even cancelled his date which seemed important. Also he volunteered to be a male role model for her son if the the real Dad didn't work out.

I have to go back and replay the ending but is it possible Holder was also "duped" by the photo thought it real?

But that would mean yet another potential "bad guy", the one who provided/created/supplied the photo, being introduced into the story, it's just cheap, lazy story writing, it would be like a game of Tetris where you pick the pieces that fit at any given moment - multiple choice screenwriting.
Keenan is online now  
post #298 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,351
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOA View Post


He was a good guy trying to help Linden search for her son. He even cancelled his date which seemed important. Also he volunteered to be a male role model for her son if the the real Dad didn't work out.

I have to go back and replay the ending but is it possible Holder was also "duped" by the photo thought it real?

No he was part of it. At the very end he said "the photo worked" or something to that effect and then got into the town car. As far as your examples those would all be good places to get in close with Linden. While he was going through his own battle for his kids, he had a job to do and knew one of the ways into Lindens circle of trust was through her kid. As I look back he just played his part so that when it came time he would be able to do almost anything and get her to jump on it. We also have to remember that it was a "special request" or something like that which kept her here.
Ph8te is online now  
post #299 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Senior Member
 
rkhopkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Count me as disappointed too. I thought the early episodes with the family dealing with the aftermath of Rosie's death were great, gut wrenching and well done. It kind of fell apart from there, but I watched every episode, including the final one, which was well, bizarre at the end. I'm on the fence at this point on watching the first episode of season two - we'll see. I do want to watch the original Danish version, and I don't care if it is on DVD since my Oppo BDP-83 (soon to be 93) does a good job of upconverting.
rkhopkins is offline  
post #300 of 1139 Old 06-20-2011, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Posts: 1,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I loved all of Season 1 and thought the cliffhanger ending was well done. Way too many times people find that they need to wrap up the end of a season with a finale that solves and answers everything. For me, if anything, the ending has me anticipating Season 2. I feel sad for those who are ditching the series due to the season finale not going by the book and coming to the conclusion they had hoped for.
DMan is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off