Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #451 of 1139 Old 03-03-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Am I a bad person because I'm just here as a parasite waiting for others to spend their time and watch this execrable show so I don't waste another season waiting to find out who killed Rosie Larson?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1139 Old 03-03-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Seriously, how many more red herrings can they come up with? By the time they're done, Kurt cobain, bill gates, and the space needle will have been suspected.

I'm going to watch it just to see if any of those end up as suspects ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #453 of 1139 Old 03-04-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Still wish the original would get released on NF. Probably not a really big audience for it on disc in the US so VOD would be the way to go.
post #454 of 1139 Old 03-04-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Still wish the original would get released on NF. Probably not a really big audience for it on disc in the US so VOD would be the way to go.

If I had to guess, I'd say that either MHz Networks or Music Box Films would be the outfits that would release it on disc. In the UK both seasons have been released on disc by Entertainment One. It does seem like a natural for Netflix given their extensive foreign catalog.
post #455 of 1139 Old 03-04-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 45
O/T but Joe Kinneman has been cast as Robocop in the remake.

I don't know why they're remaking it as the first one is perfect.
post #456 of 1139 Old 03-05-2012, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

O/T but Joe Kinneman has been cast as Robocop in the remake.

I don't know why they're remaking it as the first one is perfect.

You aleady knew the answer. $$$

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #457 of 1139 Old 03-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It comes back on April 1st? Fool me once.....
post #458 of 1139 Old 03-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto17 View Post

It comes back on April 1st? Fool me once.....

2-hr premiere
post #459 of 1139 Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 85
the premiere is only a few weeks away and still no promos or any major advertising for this?...I've never heard of anything like this before...I know they released the Season 2 promo art a few weeks back but no trailers for the new season?
post #460 of 1139 Old 03-08-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

the premiere is only a few weeks away and still no promos or any major advertising for this?...I've never heard of anything like this before...I know they released the Season 2 promo art a few weeks back but no trailers for the new season?

Similar: The "Dark Shadows" Movie w/ Johnny Depp & Michelle Phieffer comes out May 7, & there's still no trailer or teaser ....
Internet buzz has been mentioning this for almost a year, since most 'major' movies have some sort of trailer or teaser 8-16 months before release ...
post #461 of 1139 Old 03-08-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

I saw promos for the new season on AMC and FX.
post #462 of 1139 Old 03-08-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I saw promos for the new season on AMC and FX.

any links?...usually they would make the previews available on YouTube or some entertainment website would have them but I've seen zilch
post #463 of 1139 Old 03-09-2012, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:

Maybe they're trying to lay low this year so no expectations will be raised that we'll find out who Rosie's killer is.
post #464 of 1139 Old 03-09-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Maybe they're trying to lay low this year so no expectations will be raised that we'll find out who Rosie's killer is.

probably...although they have stated that the killer will definitely be revealed this season...in the final episode I believe
post #465 of 1139 Old 03-09-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, that was sarcasm.
post #466 of 1139 Old 03-09-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Yep, that was sarcasm.

but it has some truth to it...I think they are purposely trying to fly under the radar so as to not get people all riled up again...plus the fact that they won't be revealing the killer until the final episode of Season 2 is sure to get on people's nerves as well
post #467 of 1139 Old 03-09-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:

probably...although they have stated that the killer will definitely be revealed this season...in the final episode I believe

We all thought that they implied that last year when they actually had no intention of revealing who the killer was. Why should we believe them now?

It *WILL* be interesting to see how the ratings of the first episode of season two comapre with season one's ratings. A lot of very angry viewers after last season's finale.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #468 of 1139 Old 03-14-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I finally saw a promo for the new season...looks good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbkKwCBZpqI
post #469 of 1139 Old 03-14-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I finally saw a promo for the new season...looks good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbkKwCBZpqI

post #470 of 1139 Old 03-15-2012, 10:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 158
TV Notes
Can ‘The Killing’ Make a Comeback?
By Adam Sternbergh, The New York Times Sunday Magazine - Mar. 18, 2012

In an ideal world — or, at least, in Veena Sud’s ideal world — we would be talking about her history as a Hemingway-loving women’s-studies major at Columbia, or the time she took a master class with Spike Lee at N.Y.U. film school, or her years as a gloomy loner growing up in Cincinnati, reading “Helter Skelter” and wearing a Jennifer Beals perm — anything, basically, other than the ending of the first season of the show she created for AMC, “The Killing,” and why so many people hated it so much.

When “The Killing” had its premiere last spring, it seemed, at first glance, like a slick and intriguing spin on the cop procedural: a moody murder mystery set in rainy Seattle, based on “Forbrydelsen,” a moody murder mystery set in Denmark. The show’s tagline, in a self-conscious echo of “Twin Peaks,” was “Who Killed Rosie Larsen?” And most of the show’s loyal viewers, after sticking it out through an up-and-down first season, assumed the season finale would answer that question.

It didn’t. Instead, the finale offered a last-second switcheroo that was intended to prod viewers toward Season 2, but that instead prodded them toward their computers, where they howled in rage.

Here is Maureen Ryan, TV critic for The Huffington Post: “YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.” Here is Alan Sepinwall, influential critic for Hitfix.com: “This will be the last review I write of ‘The Killing,’ because this will be the last time I watch ‘The Killing.’ ” Here is James Poniewozik, TV critic at Time: “I no longer counsel patience with ‘The Killing’! You may unlock the toolshed and get the pitchforks!”

And those are the professionals. The amateurs were somewhat less kind.

So that’s how we found ourselves, Veena Sud and I, having dinner on Valentine’s Day in a hotel in Vancouver, where she was working on an episode for “The Killing,” Season 2. A publicist from AMC was also seated at our table, giving the proceedings the air of a slightly hostile Senate subcommittee hearing. And, sure enough, Sud reacted to questions about the finale of “The Killing” with the defensive mien of a politician hoping to weather a stubborn scandal. “We set out from the very beginning to do something different,” she said. “Sometimes that worked. Sometimes things about it didn’t work.”

This is a variation on the response that Sud and AMC have stuck to since last season, when AMC found itself in the awkward position of having to mollify furious fans while not explicitly admitting to any wrongdoing. As Charlie Collier, the president of AMC, said in a kind of pseudo-apology to angry viewers a week after the finale: “If I could do anything differently, it would be to manage expectations.”

As Joel Stillerman, head of original programming for AMC, told the Television Critics Association gathering in Los Angeles in July: “If we had to do anything differently, I think we would certainly have taken a different approach with respect to managing the expectations of what was going to happen within that season.”

As Sud said to me in Vancouver: “I was definitely surprised by the level of expectation of closure. I didn’t expect the expectation.”

The real problem for AMC, though, is not that it angered its audience. Audience-angering has happened before. (The finales of “Seinfeld,” “Lost” and “The Sopranos” were all met with degrees of bewilderment and displeasure — no doubt there was some furious faction somewhere when “Bewitched” swapped out Dick York for Dick Sargent.) The real problem for AMC is that “The Killing” has aggrieved exactly the kind of viewers that it most wants to entice.

Not long ago, TV was a relatively simple three-legged stool: you had creators, you had critics and you had viewers, i.e. the passive, Nielsen-monitored masses. But the Internet, and specifically social media sites, has served as a kind of electrocharged amniotic fluid for the gestation of a powerful fourth entity: what I’ll call the superviewer. These people are engaged, passionate and vocal, an online jumble of professional critics and opinionated amateurs who gather together to watch and discuss and dissect their favorite shows. Early fan forums like Television Without Pity gave these viewers a voice; now sites like Twitter have given them a megaphone.

Superviewers can’t make or break a show — if they could, “Community” would be the highest-rated TV show in the history of ever. But they do influence programming, particularly on cable, where intangibles like buzz can be as crucial as overall viewer numbers. HBO, for example, recently canceled several series — “Bored to Death,” “How to Make It in America” and “Hung” — while sparing another one, “Enlightened,” despite it’s being the lowest-rated of the bunch. This was in part because those other shows had not generated the kind of significant fan engagement or critical support that can lead to award consideration. They had not, in short, earned the passion of the superviewers.

For AMC, the calculus is slightly altered — unlike HBO, AMC sells ads against its shows, so it values ratings in a different way. Still, its hits, like “Mad Men,” “Breaking Bad” and “The Walking Dead,” are among the most superviewer-friendly on TV. Thanks to the communal nature of social media and “its ability to metastasize, you have to take that stuff seriously,” Stillerman told me. “You want those early responses to be positive — and help guide the rest of the responses.” At first, “The Killing” offered that kind of viral potential, sparking a mini-phenomenon of live-tweeting and parlor-game guessing. Then the superviewers turned on the show. It didn’t help that, in interviews after the finale, Sud suggested that her show was a “holistic journey” and that disgruntled fans might be happier watching something not quite so sophisticated. “The irony is that these are exactly the kind of viewers networks are trying to engage,” Maureen Ryan told me. “And that’s great. Go after them. Just know that, if you disappoint them, that’s the worst thing that can happen to your show.”

In advance of the second season, AMC has tried to court back these fans, or at least placate them. “We had an interesting case study on ‘The Killing,’ ” Stillerman said, “where we had a very vocal group of people telling us something that, frankly, we listened to. We’ve even gone so far, in one of the more surreal moments in television programming history, as to literally let our audience know when they’re going to find out who the killer is.” (NONSPOILER ALERT: The final episode of Season 2.)

But will the superviewers come back? “I’ll take a look at a couple of episodes,” says Sepinwall, who publicly swore off the show. “Sometimes shows learn, and sometimes they don’t.” The premiere, on April 1, should reveal whether “The Killing” can stagger back to life after being gang-stomped by the Internet. Either way, though, the moral for TV creators is clear. Expect the expectation.

Adam Sternbergh is the culture editor of the magazine.
Editor: Greg Veis

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/ma...ref=television
post #471 of 1139 Old 03-16-2012, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

TV Notes
Can ‘The Killing’ Make a Comeback?

I think most, if not all of the people that watched Season 1 will be back for Season 2...yes the ending was a bit frustrating but it's easy to rant when the season is over and you have an 8 month gap before new episodes air...but now that it's almost back those same people will watch again because they are invested in the show and a resolution to the Rosie Larsen mystery...at best people will stop watching after Season 2 but it's pretty much a lock that people's anger will have subsided by now and they are just happy to have the show back (especially since it has been confirmed that they will 100% give us the identity of the killer(s) this season)

people forget that the Danish show that 'The Killing' was based on also extended the murder mystery over 2 seasons, so all the US version is doing is following the template set by the original series
post #472 of 1139 Old 03-16-2012, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

...but that was not what most people expected, as the article clearly states. The last ep of S1 was a disaster, and Sud trying to imply that we just didn't get the big picture was insulting to say the least.
post #473 of 1139 Old 03-16-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:

I think most, if not all of the people that watched Season 1 will be back for Season 2.

Review the posts on this page alone, and then we can talk. It seems to me that most posters, including yours truly, were so put off by the bait-and-switch ending to Season 1, we won't be back under any circumstances. Fool us once and all that. As noted in an earlier post, the only reason I am still subscribed to this thread is in order to learn from other posters how the mystery plays out, while avoiding having to spend any more time on this profoundly disappointing series. In short, you guys are much more interesting than The Killing ever was.
post #474 of 1139 Old 03-16-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Review the posts on this page alone, and then we can talk. It seems to me that most posters, including yours truly, were so put off by the bait-and-switch ending to Season 1, we won't be back under any circumstances. Fool us once and all that. As noted in an earlier post, the only reason I am still subscribed to this thread is in order to learn from other posters how the mystery plays out, while avoiding having to spend any more time on this profoundly disappointing series. In short, you guys are much more interesting than The Killing ever was.

+1

Viewers of "The Killing" Season 2 thank you in advance for wasting your lives on this show and posting the answer here so we can read it.
post #475 of 1139 Old 03-16-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

people forget that the Danish show that 'The Killing' was based on also extended the murder mystery over 2 seasons, so all the US version is doing is following the template set by the original series

Actually, Series 1 aired 10 eps from Jan to Mar, then the final 10 from Sept to Nov, all within the same year so there was only a little over a 5 month break. Series 2 was only 10 eps and ran from Sept to Nov. Both series concluded with resolutions to the crime by their final episodes. Series 3 is due to air in Denmark this Sept, most likely to be 10 episodes as well.
post #476 of 1139 Old 03-16-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

+1

Viewers of "The Killing" Season 2 thank you in advance for wasting your lives on this show and posting the answer here so we can read it.

Sure, no prob. I always viewed the show as more about the journey than the destination anyway. I tend to like this serialized sort of thing.

I liked the slow unraveling of the intricate plot, the twists & red-herrings, the atmosphere & mood, Joel Kinnaman's twitch-perfect performance, the way Mireille Enos fills out a bulky wool sweater, and even the glacial pacing and all. that. rain. (God is in the details ~ Mies)

I'd "set my DVR right now", as many here like to say, if only TWC would let me do it more than a week in advance. Looking forward to it, and will be happy to discuss the plot intricacies on these very pages with the other 3 members who didn't get their panties all wadded up by the non-resolution and who also plan to watch S-2. Fill free to bogart our knowledge. When we finally find out....um, what was the big mystery again?....oh yeah, who killed Rosie, ya'll will be the 700,000th to know.
post #477 of 1139 Old 03-16-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I hope the show dies a slow painful death.
post #478 of 1139 Old 03-16-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

if you enjoyed the series except for the last episode then there's no reason not to watch Season 2 because they have guaranteed everyone that the killer will 100% be revealed (in the final episode of S2 I believe)...if the bait-and-switch ending was all that bothered most people then they should be happy to know that it will not be the case this season

I wasn't a fan of the ending of S1 but I'm definitely going to watch Season 2 because I want to know who killed Rosie Larsen and why
post #479 of 1139 Old 03-16-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:

I think most, if not all of the people that watched Season 1 will be back for Season 2...

Really? The angry cries after the end of last season were seismic! I expect that people's memories of the outrage are better than you apparently do. It will be interestng to see, but I expect that they really killed their audience. Their response to the anger was as bad as what they did to create it.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #480 of 1139 Old 03-16-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Really? The angry cries after the end of last season were seismic! I expect that people's memories of the outrage are better than you apparently do. It will be interesting to see, but I expect that they really killed their audience. Their response to the anger was as bad as what they did to create it.

I wouldn't count on people complaining on Internet message boards as an accurate representation of how the audience in general felt about the show. If I were a "normal" person (i.e. not a TV nut who sees/hears/reads lots of industry chitchat), and I had started watching the series without ever hearing what Ms. Sud said about a Rosie resolution, I wouldn't have cared a whit (in fact, I still don't - see above post). I suspect the vast majority of people who watched the first season fall into that category.

Most serialized mystery/conspiracy shows carry their primary story arc forward into the following season(s). I didn't feel betrayed or outraged with the cliffhanger ending. I just moved on to the next show cluttering up my DVR and filed the Rosie Larson mystery under "stuff I'll watch later". If that makes me wrong, I don't wanna' be right.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page