The Killing on AMC HD - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 1139 Old 04-18-2011, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 405
I continue to enjoy The Killing. It reminds me of the first season of Damages, complex, dark, and very smart. The writers have not exactly fed the plot to us on a cracker, so close attention is required to penetrate it or, at least, I have to pay close attention.

I didn't have any trouble making the connection between the trophy case the guy at the Seattle All Stars Program HQ pointed out to Holder and the teacher, Bennett Ahmed, because Ahmed's photo was in the case. Admittedly, though, I had thought that Ahmed would be the reason for Rosie's mysterious disappearances. I believe the Seattle All Stars is the program run by the guy who gave Richmond the $50,000 campaign contribution.

I was surprised by the revelation that the girl in the video in the cage was Rosie's friend, Sterling, and not Rosie. Then it occurred to me that Jasper's tweaker friend had told Holder that the video gave the police nothing. The later revelation that Rosie wasn't in it made it all make sense.
gwsat is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 1139 Old 04-18-2011, 10:33 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Maybe a stupid question, but where did the blood come from that was on the wall in the cage, the one that looked like a hand print?
Keenan is online now  
post #63 of 1139 Old 04-18-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Maybe a stupid question, but where did the blood come from that was on the wall in the cage, the one that looked like a hand print?

Sterling explained the blood to the cops by telling them that she has chronic nosebleeds.
gwsat is online now  
post #64 of 1139 Old 04-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Member
 
akcorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This is my favorite show right now!
akcorr is offline  
post #65 of 1139 Old 04-18-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Sterling explained the blood to the cops by telling them that she has chronic nosebleeds.

Okay, thanks, I must have been distracted during that sequence - that will teach me to try and text message with my niece during a show that requires your attention at all times!
Keenan is online now  
post #66 of 1139 Old 04-18-2011, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Okay, thanks, I must have been distracted during that sequence - that will teach me to try and text message with my niece during a show that requires your attention at all times!

Yeah, sometimes I feel like I am hanging on by my fingernails while trying to keep up. I had to go back and watch the sequence where Holder made the Ahmed-Rosie connection a second time before I realized it happened in the Seattle All Stars Program's HQ.
gwsat is online now  
post #67 of 1139 Old 04-18-2011, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bruce73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat
Sterling explained the blood to the cops by telling them that she has chronic nosebleeds.
I remember her saying this, but from I recall concerning the amount of blood at the crime scene, it would have to have been one major nosebleed. So I dismissed what she said as just a feeble excuse.
bruce73 is offline  
post #68 of 1139 Old 04-18-2011, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bruce73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat
I continue to enjoy The Killing. It reminds me of the first season of Damages, complex, dark, and very smart.
While I understand this comparison (more so than the Twin Peaks one), IMO, it doesn't come close to the complexity, originality, acting quality of Damages.
bruce73 is offline  
post #69 of 1139 Old 04-19-2011, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 43
"The Killing" is a remake of the first series of the Danish "Forbrydelsen" which just finished running on BBC Four over here in the UK.

If you can cope with subtitles (or speak Danish), give it a watch. The acting is simply amazing, and the show was a bit of a sleeper hit here (getting nearly double the ratings average for its slot) It's 16:9 SD over here - and I've only seen DVD releases. (DR - the Danish equivalent of the BBC - made it, and I'm not sure how much domestic HD production they have)

The BBC have already announced they are going to show the second series (which has already aired in Denmark) later this year.

(There is effectively now a Saturday night, European detective fiction slot on BB C Four, as they're showing the French police series Engrenages III - aka Spiral III - in the same slot)
sneals2000 is offline  
post #70 of 1139 Old 04-19-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 3,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Having lived in Seattle for many years I am always amused watching this show of how they try to pass off parts of Vancouver for Seattle. But then when I watched some of the films over the years that were shot in Seattle I would get a great laugh out of how someone could get from one side of town "just like that."
Brian Conrad is online now  
post #71 of 1139 Old 04-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
 
djbrown13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Norton, MA
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm surprised no one mentioned remebering Michelle Forbes from her role as ME on Homicide.

We've been watching on demand from Comcast, and I haven't noticed any significant pq/aq issues, but I admit we haven't been watching in our primary viewing room where they would likely be more noticible.

I also liked how Linden knew Rosie wasn't in the video but left Holder to find out for himself after he got mad for her interruption of his interview.

But like everyone else, really enjoying it. I just wish I had held out longer so I could have watched it over a shorter time frame. Waiting week to week will be tough.
djbrown13 is offline  
post #72 of 1139 Old 04-19-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garrett Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Stockton, CA USA
Posts: 1,565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrown13 View Post

I'm surprised no one mentioned remebering Michelle Forbes from her role as ME on Homicide.

I best remember her as Admiral Helena Cain on BSG.
Garrett Adams is offline  
post #73 of 1139 Old 04-20-2011, 05:56 AM
Senior Member
 
rkhopkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

I best remember her as Admiral Helena Cain on BSG.

Maryann on True Blood for me. She is doing a great job on The Killing as is all of the cast. Already a "can't miss" show for me.
rkhopkins is offline  
post #74 of 1139 Old 04-20-2011, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
barth2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

While I understand this comparison (more so than the Twin Peaks one), IMO, it doesn't come close to the complexity, originality, acting quality of Damages.

Funny, because while I enjoy Damages, I think it's often very contrived. Way too many instances of people killing people when they should just sue them into ruin/bankruptcy. (it's a flaw with a lot of legal thrillers. Why are you hiring hitmen when you got all these lawyers around?) Also, the flashback/forward gimmick forces them to set up a lot of bogus red herrings that when revealed at the end are just totally anti climatic.
barth2k is offline  
post #75 of 1139 Old 04-20-2011, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Funny, because while I enjoy Damages, I think it's often very contrived. Way too many instances of people killing people when they should just sue them into ruin/bankruptcy. (it's a flaw with a lot of legal thrillers. Why are you hiring hitmen when you got all these lawyers around?) Also, the flashback/forward gimmick forces them to set up a lot of bogus red herrings that when revealed at the end are just totally anti climatic.

I agree that the quality of The Killing is at least equal to that of Damages, especially since Damages started to show its age. I loved the first season of Damages and thought it was innovative, brilliantly written, and well acted but, it seems to me, The Event is every bit as good as even the first season of Damages was.
gwsat is online now  
post #76 of 1139 Old 04-20-2011, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bruce73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

The Event is every bit as good as even the first season of Damages was.

There ya go again!

I'm enjoying The Killing, don't get me wrong, but I loved the non-linear form of Damages and am a huge Glenn Close fan. But, I agree, the "gimmick" (as good as it was, IMO), wouldn't have been sustainable over a long run.
bruce73 is offline  
post #77 of 1139 Old 04-21-2011, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

There ya go again!

I'm enjoying The Killing, don't get me wrong, but I loved the non-linear form of Damages and am a huge Glenn Close fan. But, I agree, the "gimmick" (as good as it was, IMO), wouldn't have been sustainable over a long run.

I'm glad you responded to my post so I could emphasize my high opinion of Damages. Although I have been enjoying The Event as much as I liked Damages' first season, I loved Damages. Glenn Close has long been one of my favorite actresses, too. Close is also a Broadway star and has won multiple Tony Awards. In 1980 my wife and I saw her on Broadway in Barnum, opposite the wonderful Jim Dale. My wife always said that performance of Barnum was her all time favorite Broadway experience.
gwsat is online now  
post #78 of 1139 Old 04-21-2011, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bruce73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Glenn Close has long been one of my favorite actresses, too. Close is also a Broadway star and has won multiple Tony Awards.

(OT) I saw her in "Sunset Boulevard" back in '92 here in LA. The show was not great, IMO, but she really shined.
bruce73 is offline  
post #79 of 1139 Old 04-21-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cinema13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

I best remember her as Admiral Helena Cain on BSG.

Don't forget Ensign Ro!

cinema13 is offline  
post #80 of 1139 Old 04-21-2011, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

(OT) I saw her in "Sunset Boulevard" back in '92 here in LA. The show was not great, IMO, but she really shined.

I'm sorry to say that I missed Close in Sunset Boulevard. She won the Best Musical Actress Tony for her performance as Norma Desmond on Broadway. Close is that rare musical theater commodity who can both sing and is a consumate actress, too. There aren't too many of them. Angela Lansbury and Donna Murphy come to mind but after that it's slim pickings.

My apologies for contributing to thread drift. I suspect we won't hear much singing in The Killing.
gwsat is online now  
post #81 of 1139 Old 04-26-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 87
nobody talking about the latest episode?...quite a few interesting developments involving Bennett, Holder, the Richmond campaign mole and Rosie's father...the show is usually a slow burn but things actually seemed to pick up a bit this week

most likely most of what we are seeing now are red herrings though...no way Bennett or any of the main suspects are the real killer...it's too early in the series

I do wonder how Rosie got that chemical on her body...my first thought was that it had something to do with Rosie's father's past as a mob hitman/enforcer
TitusTroy is offline  
post #82 of 1139 Old 04-26-2011, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garrett Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Stockton, CA USA
Posts: 1,565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

...my first thought was that it had something to do with Rosie's father's past as a mob hitman/enforcer

Was that little gem revealed in the this AMC production, or is it from another source such as the Danish production?
Garrett Adams is offline  
post #83 of 1139 Old 04-26-2011, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
barth2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

Was that little gem revealed in the this AMC production, or is it from another source such as the Danish production?

Yeah wait a sec when was this revealed?

I'm not being sarcastic. I know I've missed details. This show requires close attention.
barth2k is offline  
post #84 of 1139 Old 04-26-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

Was that little gem revealed in the this AMC production, or is it from another source such as the Danish production?

that was sort of implied in the previous episode...when Rosie's father went to that mobster (who gave him some $$)...in the conversation they had it was revealed that Rosie's father shared a shady past with that guy which probably involved killing people or at the very least hurting people...plus the mobster seemed related to hm somehow which he is probably trying to keep from his family as well

Rosie's father's friend Belko also knows about this past and hence was the reason he asked him about looking into killing the guy responsible for Rosie's death
TitusTroy is offline  
post #85 of 1139 Old 04-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Member
 
-Sandro-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pianella (Italy) / Wildwood, NJ
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The quality of the AMC HD feed is more the awful that seriously destroys the show, when it'll be released on BD it'll be like watching a new show.
Let's not talk about the audio quality, bad bad 5.1 mixing (same thing happens on some CW affiliates) . Of course all network/feed's fault not of the production's!
-Sandro- is offline  
post #86 of 1139 Old 04-27-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

that was sort of implied in the previous episode...when Rosie's father went to that mobster (who gave him some $$)...in the conversation they had it was revealed that Rosie's father shared a shady past with that guy which probably involved killing people or at the very least hurting people...plus the mobster seemed related to hm somehow which he is probably trying to keep from his family as well

Rosie's father's friend Belko also knows about this past and hence was the reason he asked him about looking into killing the guy responsible for Rosie's death

That's all true. Also, I think Belko is still involved in whatever underworld enterprise it was that Stan apparently withdrew from 17 years earlier. Belko once asked Stan if he wanted the nasty rich kid, Jasper, taken care of. Stan declined but in the last episode asked Belko to contact a source at the school and find out what was going on. It's pretty clear to me that Stan has not given up on the idea of exacting personal vengeance on Rosie's killer.
gwsat is online now  
post #87 of 1139 Old 04-27-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bruce73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sandro- View Post

The quality of the AMC HD feed is more the awful that seriously destroys the show, when it'll be released on BD it'll be like watching a new show.
Let's not talk about the audio quality, bad bad 5.1 mixing (same thing happens on some CW affiliates) . Of course all network/feed's fault not of the production's!

I can live with the audio, but the PQ! Good god, I've got DivX encodes that look better than this. In fact, I'm pretty sure Rosie's Super 8 looks better than this.

I bailed on The Walking Dead after 3 eps because it looked so bad and waited for the BRs ( which look a gadzillion times better ). I'm tempted to do the same here, but I'm hooked on the story, so it prolly won't happen.

Re: the dad. His breakdown was so wrenching, I thought maybe some guilt was laced into it, which would have been a major turn. But, given the implied mob history, it's more likely setting the stage for a little homespun vigilante justice.
bruce73 is offline  
post #88 of 1139 Old 04-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Member
 
-Sandro-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pianella (Italy) / Wildwood, NJ
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wonder why a non-broadcasting network would allow this crap to happen, I would except these things from a free network not from AMC!

PS: yes same thing for TWD but I kept watching
-Sandro- is offline  
post #89 of 1139 Old 04-27-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mikeewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ewing Twp, NJ
Posts: 1,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
This show is positively gut-wrenching at times. When the father broke down in the bathroom I felt his pain.

The time flies when I watch it. Great TV.
mikeewing is online now  
post #90 of 1139 Old 04-27-2011, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

Re: the dad. His breakdown was so wrenching, I thought maybe some guilt was laced into it, which would have been a major turn

I thought that might be the case as well...I'm hoping that they don't try and pull a 'Twin Peaks' with the resolution to this murder...
TitusTroy is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off