post #91 of 1189 Old 04-27-2011, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

I thought that might be the case as well...I'm hoping that they don't try and pull a 'Twin Peaks' with the resolution to this murder...

I don't think they're going the surreal route, but they do seem to enjoy the occasional reference, like the music and the LODGE! I'm waiting for discourse on coffee and shots of the owl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1189 Old 04-28-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 167
And cherry pie.
post #93 of 1189 Old 05-09-2011, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
does anybody know if any online streaming provider offers the show for HD streaming? I saw that amctv.com used to offer the show till episode 4 and if I knew it I would have watched it there! Video and audio are WAY better!
post #94 of 1189 Old 05-09-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Liked the show but its constant PC emphasis is getting in the way of the story.
I also find it increasingly difficult to believe the recurrent behavior of the two cops. The bride-to-be's consistent last minute screwups regarding the wedding are not credible. Especially her subsequent frantic calls to the potential groom. And one minute her kid is checked out of the Seattle school system off to CA, hours later he's back in school. Right.

And her partner's appearance and interaction with his boss as a rookie detective is way out of line. He'd be back doing traffic work in any squad.
post #95 of 1189 Old 05-09-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

At least they had her booking a flight to Oakland (she said flight to Sonoma last week). There is no airline service into Sonoma as there is nothing but a small airfield around there. They also made the mistake in the first episode of mentioning the beach at Sonoma which is landlocked and the ocean about 30 or more miles away. Lots of vineyards though.
post #96 of 1189 Old 05-09-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

At least they had her booking a flight to Oakland (she said flight to Sonoma last week). There is no airline service into Sonoma as there is nothing but a small airfield around there. They also made the mistake in the first episode of mentioning the beach at Sonoma which is landlocked and the ocean about 30 or more miles away. Lots of vineyards though.

Not to Sonoma, but she could have flown Seattle to Santa Rosa(Charles M. Schulz - Sonoma County Airport), they have at least 2 flights per day between the 2 cities via Horizon Air(Alaska Airlines), and the drive time to Sonoma is about 30-40 mins, airport to the Plaza. Much prettier drive than from Oakland for sure.
post #97 of 1189 Old 05-09-2011, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

...And her partner's appearance and interaction with his boss as a rookie detective is way out of line. He'd be back doing traffic work in any squad.

He transferred to homicide from vice, where he was working undercover cop. I assume he held detective rank in vice so while new to homicide he might not be a rookie in the strictest sense.
post #98 of 1189 Old 05-10-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I started to watch the episode but stopped when it felt as if I had missed something. Was this episode 6? If so, I somehow missed episode 5 and on demand only has 1-4. Specifically, it looked like Dad was confronting the teacher, when episode 4 ended with the politician making the video with the teacher front and center in the group.
post #99 of 1189 Old 05-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yes, you missed an episode.
post #100 of 1189 Old 05-10-2011, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post

I started to watch the episode but stopped when it felt as if I had missed something. Was this episode 6? If so, I somehow missed episode 5 and on demand only has 1-4. Specifically, it looked like Dad was confronting the teacher, when episode 4 ended with the politician making the video with the teacher front and center in the group.

it was ep 7
post #101 of 1189 Old 05-10-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Not to Sonoma, but she could have flown Seattle to Santa Rosa(Charles M. Schulz - Sonoma County Airport), they have at least 2 flights per day between the 2 cities via Horizon Air(Alaska Airlines), and the drive time to Sonoma is about 30-40 mins, airport to the Plaza. Much prettier drive than from Oakland for sure.

Keenan, I have a feeling the writers really didn't do much homework especially when they mentioned the beach. Are those direct flights? A lot of people would take a direct flight from Seattle (via Alaska since last I checked United's flights weren't direct to Oakland) over non-directs.
post #102 of 1189 Old 05-10-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Keenan, I have a feeling the writers really didn't do much homework especially when they mentioned the beach. Are those direct flights? A lot of people would take a direct flight from Seattle (via Alaska since last I checked United's flights weren't direct to Oakland) over non-directs.

Yes, they started the service a few years ago, there's direct flights to Las Vegas as well, not sure where else, possibly Reno and Portland. Normally you would go to SFO or Oakland and take a puddle jumper, but these are in fact non-stop direct. Horizon is an Alaska "brand", I think United's version may have been named "Sunrise"(?), can't remember, but they used to run, and may still, the puddle jumping(connecting) from the two airports in the bay.

And I agree the writers probably didn't do a lot of research, not that they really needed to given that part of the story is really, at this point, inconsequential as we all now she's not going anywhere until the case is solved.
post #103 of 1189 Old 05-10-2011, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I find it sad that U.S. networks can't do better than copying European series. Sometimes the results are poor: Life on Mars; sometimes passable: Being Human and The Office. In this case, while the plot, characters and even camera angles are being duplicated, the American "The Killing" features a very talented cast, quite capable of matching the Danish Forbrydelsen (The Crime) originals.

I am not watching every episode of the remake because I already know the ending, but I like what I've seen. I may even stick around in case they change the ending. I have noticed the faster clip of the remake (13 episodes vs. the original 20). This takes away some of the intense, brooding quality of the original, which, in a way, mirrors the pace of Scandinavian life. Also, most of the action in Forbrydelsen happens at night -it gets dark (and quiet) very early in Copenhagen during the fall / winter period, which sets the story's atmosphere. Sure, Seattle can be gloomy, but it is a more "optimistic" kind of gloom!

Looking forward to the second season from Amazon UK, after it airs in England with subtitles (only Blu Ray edition is German dubbed).
post #104 of 1189 Old 05-10-2011, 05:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1115 View Post

I find it sad that U.S. networks can't do better than copying European series. Sometimes the results are poor: Life on Mars; sometimes passable: Being Human and The Office. In this case, while the plot, characters and even camera angles are being duplicated, the American "The Killing" features a very talented cast, quite capable of matching the Danish Forbrydelsen (The Crime) originals.

I am not watching every episode of the remake because I already know the ending, but I like what I've seen. I may even stick around in case they change the ending. I have noticed the faster clip of the remake (13 episodes vs. the original 20). This takes away some of the intense, brooding quality of the original, which, in a way, mirrors the pace of Scandinavian life. Also, most of the action in Forbrydelsen happens at night -it gets dark (and quiet) very early in Copenhagen during the fall / winter period, which sets the story's atmosphere. Sure, Seattle can be gloomy, but it is a more "optimistic" kind of gloom!

Looking forward to the second season from Amazon UK, after it airs in England with subtitles (only Blu Ray edition is German dubbed).

The US version is even more compressed than a simple 13 versus 20, the US version is probably 42-44 mins long, while each episode of the Danish version runs around 57 mins per episode which works out to just about double the total runtime. And I agree with your comments, it does take away a bit of the feel of the original moving at the faster pace.
post #105 of 1189 Old 05-11-2011, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1115 View Post

I don't know what the original ending was, but I do know that the producers have said that this version will end differently.
post #106 of 1189 Old 05-11-2011, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

The bride-to-be's consistent last minute screwups regarding the wedding are not credible. Especially her subsequent frantic calls to the potential groom.

They are if she doesn't really want to marry the guy (or at least quit her job to marry him, which I think is at the heart of the matter, storywise). There are no "accidents". In fact they are already hinting at that with a reference to Sarah's similar actions on a previous case.
post #107 of 1189 Old 05-11-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonesCat View Post

I don't know what the original ending was, but I do know that the producers have said that this version will end differently.

Different killer, or a different way to the same killer? I'm curious because I started to watch the Danish version but held up because the different pacing was causing overlaps in event timing, "spoiling" one over the other as it were. But if it's a different outcome altogether I'll just continue with the Danish version.
post #108 of 1189 Old 05-11-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 551
I have been exasperated by what Holder calls Linden's "commitment issues." The Killing is a good show but I am tired of Linden, accidentally on purpose, continuing to miss planes to Sonoma, where she is supposed to be married. Also, it appears that the writers would have us believe that it rains in Seattle 24/7. I know it rains there a lot but all day, every day? Not likely. With those quibbles out of the way, let me say that I continue to enjoy the show and think a good job is being done with it.
post #109 of 1189 Old 05-11-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I put the original series in my Netflix queue though they don't have it yet. I suspect that arrangements were made to keep it off the market until the AMC version finishes.
post #110 of 1189 Old 05-11-2011, 01:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I put the original series in my Netflix queue though they don't have it yet. I suspect that arrangements were made to keep it off the market until the AMC version finishes.
If you have a region-free disc player the UK version is available at Amazon.uk, a little on the expensive side though, best to have a friend over there who can send you their copy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Killing-DVD-...5141785&sr=8-1
post #111 of 1189 Old 05-11-2011, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post
Different killer, or a different way to the same killer? I'm curious because I started to watch the Danish version but held up because the different pacing was causing overlaps in event timing, "spoiling" one over the other as it were. But if it's a different outcome altogether I'll just continue with the Danish version.
Different killer.
post #112 of 1189 Old 05-11-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonesCat View Post
Different killer.
Excellent, thanks!
post #113 of 1189 Old 05-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Just caught up on this series. Super intense, very emotional drama. Such realistic, layered, complex characters as well. Seems like another AMC hit for me. Very impressive.
post #114 of 1189 Old 05-16-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Re: last night's episode -- Holder acted as if tapping Bennett's phone was being clever. Seems to me the FBI would have have already done that and would raise holy hell.

Besides how does a homicide detective go about getting an "emergency" wire tap?
post #115 of 1189 Old 05-17-2011, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

Re: last night's episode -- Holder acted as if tapping Bennett's phone was being clever. Seems to me the FBI would have have already done that and would raise holy hell.

Besides how does a homicide detective go about getting an "emergency" wire tap?

Plus, can you wire tap a cell phone? I would think he would use a cell phone for most of his terrorist-related calls.....
post #116 of 1189 Old 05-21-2011, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Like the story but the image is hampered by ridiculous amounts of grain and rain. And the idea that the primary investigator is about to leave each day is tiresome.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #117 of 1189 Old 05-22-2011, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by danc8379 View Post

Plus, can you wire tap a cell phone? I would think he would use a cell phone for most of his terrorist-related calls.....

If there wasn't a way to "tap" a cell phone call we wouldn't be using them because they wouldn't exist for the general public. The guy is just plain stupid to be using his own cell instead of a pre-paid throw away phone.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #118 of 1189 Old 05-22-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc8379 View Post

Legality aside, it's easier to listen in on cell phone calls than it is wireline, they're just radio signals after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

If there wasn't a way to "tap" a cell phone call we wouldn't be using them because they wouldn't exist for the general public. The guy is just plain stupid to be using his own cell instead of a pre-paid throw away phone.

larry

Which probably means what ever the call was about, it's probably not as bad as it appears, this show uses a lot of misdirection in it's storytelling.
post #119 of 1189 Old 05-23-2011, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

You would think that Bennett, being targeted by both the police and by Rosie's dad, would have just come clean about the other girl they were trying to protect so that he could clear his name in the murder. I guess the big question is whether or not he survived that brutal beating last night...my guess is no.
post #120 of 1189 Old 05-23-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Man, what a scene. The sight of the friend slamming his fist against the boulder while the father beat up Bennett was really chilling.

And, most shockingly, there was actually some sunshine (unfortunately it lit up swastikas ...).
Reply HDTV Programming