post #1171 of 1189 Old 08-02-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
pics of Lake Sonoma and Mendocino and the shorelines looked like alien worlds they were so low, both of which are huge components of our city water system. Santa Rosa Creek runs through my backyard and in the 15 years I've been here I have never seen it as low as it is now.
I've been up north visiting friends in Healdsburg for the week. Reduced water levels all around, disappeared swimming beaches, etc., are frightening.

Quote:
I'm going to try and squeeze in a few eps of the show tonight, good to hear they might be better than the network versions.
We watched the six episodes last night and tonight. I haven't been in since the end of S1.

But I must admit, maybe it's the creative freedoms allowed by Netflix or simply the complete wrapup of all the loose ends, but for me the final episode was the absolutely most satisfying series finale since the one for "Sports Night" back in 2000. Thoroughly enjoyed these six, although it clearly was a different writing group than before, producing the dialog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1189 Old 08-03-2014, 01:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 506
It was definitely high quality stuff. I really binged, re-watching Season 3 over the past few days and then watching Season 4; I'm glad that I did it that way. The season, as a whole, was the most intensely depressing thing I've seen since House of Sand and Fog. I did like the ending, though there was a bit of deus ex machina.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1173 of 1189 Old 08-03-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I binged all 6 too. It was good. I wouldn't call it great, because they were attempting to squeeze too much stuff into too few episodes and I thought it all wrapped up too neatly. Was great having Holder and Linden back, but I hated how depressed they were the entire 6 eps.
post #1174 of 1189 Old 08-03-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I watched episode 3 last night and again started right out in SuperHD and was all the way though. I wonder how much NF had to pay the ATT mafia for that to happen?
post #1175 of 1189 Old 08-03-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Everyone's up in arms about Netflix paying the ISPs for direct connections into their networks when it's just SOP. Google and other companies have had similar paid agreements for years and just never advertised it.

post #1176 of 1189 Old 08-03-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I watched episode 3 last night and again started right out in SuperHD and was all the way through.
Are you talking about 4k? I heard they were going to be streaming some content that way, 'House of Cards' in particular. What does that mean if you've just got an "ordinary" 1080p set? Will the picture look a little bit better than basic HDTV? How does that work?
post #1177 of 1189 Old 08-03-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Are you talking about 4k? I heard they were going to be streaming some content that way, 'House of Cards' in particular. What does that mean if you've just got an "ordinary" 1080p set? Will the picture look a little bit better than basic HDTV? How does that work?
No, I don't have a 4K set so it would be a waste of bandwidth. The PQ was pretty much on par with VUDU though so it might have been even a higher bitrate and just 5.8 mbps.
post #1178 of 1189 Old 08-04-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Finished all episodes last night. Great season and far above the AMC version. And Jonathan Demme directing the last episode! This is what US TV should be but try to sell that to the network dunderheads.
Ph8te and FOPA like this.
post #1179 of 1189 Old 08-05-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I binged them all on Sunday ....
I was pleasantly surprised at the decent "pace" of the episodes, a 'general' complaint of this series was always slow moving..
This final 6 moved well...
post #1180 of 1189 Old 08-06-2014, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I binge-watched the 2nd/3rd/4th seasons over the last two days.

Decent series, won't make my top ten, but I liked the extra character development over a typical police procedural. The short 4th season was very different in tone from the others.

The wife and I vacationed last year on San Juan Island. Going back to the area, will pick another island this year.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #1181 of 1189 Old 08-06-2014, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I have a couple of comments about season 4, but several posts the last few days have made me worried about mentioning any content. My opinion is, if you come here to read what people are saying about this show, you should have watched it.

But I don't want to get attacked by the spoiler police (I don't have any wheel chair friends). What does everyone think?
post #1182 of 1189 Old 08-07-2014, 12:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
I have a couple of comments about season 4, but several posts the last few days have made me worried about mentioning any content. My opinion is, if you come here to read what people are saying about this show, you should have watched it.

But I don't want to get attacked by the spoiler police (I don't have any wheel chair friends). What does everyone think?

You can always wrap any specific comments that you have in [SPOILER] tags (though I agree that anyone visiting this thread without having finished the series does so at his or her own risk).

post #1183 of 1189 Old 08-07-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 378
I haven't finished all 6 yet, can't seem to find the time, but I am definitely going to miss the character of Holder!

"I think Boo Radley over there is one sunny day from cutting his own ear off"

post #1184 of 1189 Old 08-07-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I haven't finished all 6 yet, can't seem to find the time, but I am definitely going to miss the character of Holder!

"I think Boo Radley over there is one sunny day from cutting his own ear off"
Yeah, he has some good one-liners.

He and Sarah can both be supreme a$$holes. About halfway through this last series I didn't care if they put the whole damn lot of them away.

post #1185 of 1189 Old 08-08-2014, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
At the end - Holder in the cemetery - who was the girl that he placed the necklace on the tombstone? Was it Rachel something? He called her "little B" - the name didn't jog my memory - what was her significance in the story?
post #1186 of 1189 Old 08-08-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post
At the end - Holder in the cemetery - who was the girl that he placed the necklace on the tombstone? Was it Rachel something? He called her "little B" - the name didn't jog my memory - what was her significance in the story?
Bullet from season 3. The significance being that he caught/killed her killer.
Ph8te likes this.
post #1187 of 1189 Old 08-08-2014, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks.....now I remember!
post #1188 of 1189 Old 08-14-2014, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I've been up north visiting friends in Healdsburg for the week. Reduced water levels all around, disappeared swimming beaches, etc., are frightening.

We watched the six episodes last night and tonight. I haven't been in since the end of S1.

But I must admit, maybe it's the creative freedoms allowed by Netflix or simply the complete wrapup of all the loose ends, but for me the final episode was the absolutely most satisfying series finale since the one for "Sports Night" back in 2000. Thoroughly enjoyed these six, although it clearly was a different writing group than before, producing the dialog.

Of course. I noticed it was directed by Jonathan Demme. He is fantastic. I meant to go back to see if he directed any of the other episodes. I thought this season, abbreviated as it was, was terrific!
post #1189 of 1189 Old 08-14-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Watching the final 6 episodes reminded me of the reason I really like this show. The interaction between Enos and Kinnaman was excellent. This season showed us what this show could have been if given free reign and had a "tight" story to follow. One of the most satisfying final seasons I can remember in a while.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page