Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Ripped from HOTP, courtesy of dad1153:

TV Review
The Killing' breaks from the mold
Crime drama is the latest AMC standout
By Matthew Gilbert, Boston Globe

Law & Order'' RIP, my longtime friend was a meat-and-potatoes procedural that zipped you from the murder scene to the courtroom in one handy hour. It was TV comfort food familiar, predictable, not awfully challenging.

But on AMC, home of Mad Men'' and Breaking Bad,'' the phrase meat and potatoes'' has more gourmet connotations. Essentially, AMC's moody, riveting new series The Killing'' is your basic Law & Order'' murder mystery the step-by-step investigation, the list of perps that expands with each new piece of evidence, the aha!'' and really?'' twists. But the Seattle-set drama, which premieres Sunday at 9 p.m., lifts those fundamentals to a higher level of intimacy. It's an episode of Law & Order'' under a microscope. You get close to each party the cops, the suspects, the mourning parents of the dead teen rather than merely watching them spout clues between a pair of chung-chungs.''

Like Damages,'' Glenn Close's legal drama, The Killing'' will spend the full 13-episode season exploring a single case, the murder of high school student Rosie Larsen, whose body is found in the trunk of a car owned by the mayoral campaign of Darren Richmond (Billy Campbell). The lead detectives are Sarah Linden (Mireille Enos) and Stephen Holder (Joel Kinnaman), who are a tense study in opposites. Sarah, ginger haired and forlorn, is an observer who questions all assumptions. She's a single mother addicted to her job, and the Larsen murder is giving her an excuse to put off plans to move to California with her son and fiancé. The revved-up Stephen has just been promoted to homicide from narcotics, and his gonzo methods include smoking pot with teens to pry out info. She's a lost mother, he's a wayward kid.

The story line of Rosie's working class parents is the most emotionally charged, as Mitch (Michelle Forbes) and Stanley (Brent Sexton) are mowed down by grief. In one devastating scene, Mitch and Stanley are on the phone and she overhears the cops telling Stanley that their daughter is dead. We don't see relatives and friends rushing over to the Larsens to console them and their two younger children; they lapse into tense, preverbal shock alone at home as the gray Seattle rain falls outside, Mitch obsessively listening to Rosie's voice on their phone machine. Forbes, from In Treatment,'' True Blood,'' and Homicide,'' continues to amaze, as she layers Mitch's visceral sorrow with confusion and secrecy.

I was particularly drawn into Enos's low-key leading performance, though. Enos, who played twins Kathy and JoDean on Big Love,'' completely avoids any vestiges of glamour, turning Sarah into a brooding figure with nothing obviously telegenic about her. You want to romanticize Sarah, make her into the all-knowing detective of so many network crime series, but Enos won't let you. Sarah is all too human and flawed, unable to admit to herself what is so obvious to us she has no intention of leaving Seattle, no matter what it means for her fiancé or her son.

The characters in the Richmond campaign leg of the plot are, initially, the show's least interesting. The story seems to be veering in a Chandra Levy kind of direction, with Campbell as the pretty-faced politician who may be harboring secrets. But there's enough that's extraordinary on The Killing'' to give me hope that the political material will evolve into something more unexpected.

With The Killing,'' AMC further solidifies its position among cable's original series elite, the position it first earned with Matthew Weiner's Mad Men.'' The channel selects material that asks for and then rewards viewer's patience. The reason the difficult Rubicon'' didn't fly was because the rewards were too few and very far between. Not so with The Killing,'' which quickly hooks you with its steadily unfolding story line. Created by Veena Sud, based on a Danish TV hit named Forbrydelsen,'' the show draws you into the tragedy of the crime, and then makes you crave its solution.

AMC also chooses shows that have some kind of rich visual drama. The Killing'' is less obviously designed than Mad Men'' and Breaking Bad,'' which is one of the most cinematographic shows ever on the small screen. But it is a thoroughly distinctive looking series that gives Seattle a grim, raw feel. It's as if the city, too, is grieving a loss.

THE KILLING
On: AMC
Time: Sunday night, 9-11

http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/articles...from_the_mold/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1189 Old 04-03-2011, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I enjoyed the show...serious and gritty. I thought the music complimented the show well. It kept my attention & I'll keep watching. Sucks the DirecTV doesn't have AMC in HD yet.
post #3 of 1189 Old 04-04-2011, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My wife and I enjoyed the pilot and first episode last night. It's nice watching a series that has the time to explore the many characters and aspects of a murder - detectives, family, suspects, etc. The writers did a good job of keeping the pace and plot moving (along with the good characterizations), even though it's going to take thirteen episodes (I assume) before any big reveals.

I expected good portrayals of the family grief (the parents are played by good, experienced actors I've seen many times before), but the acting by and the interplay between the two detectives was excellent and surprisingly good (some wonderful silent communication between them when talking with various people, for example).

I thought they captured the grey and wet skies well (having lived in the Seattle area for twenty years now), setting a general dark mood. The show designers also captured the "Seattle working woman look" with the lead detective (played by Enos) - Scandanavian (or Celtic) heritage (lots of Norwegians / Swedes / Danes in this area), no (or minimal) makeup, etc.

As with most portrayals of Seattle rain in TV or movies, it was sometimes heavier than normal (98% of the rain here is pretty light, it just happens a lot), but that's probably due to whatever ways they are generating the rainfall while filming. Even though it's filmed in Vancouver BC, the "placement" shots showed a lot of different views of Seattle and various neighborhoods, including a lot that are not the usual "tourist" shots. (This probably fits in with the "living and working in" aspect of the show.)

Cliff
post #4 of 1189 Old 04-04-2011, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Watched the 1st episodes as well today. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would and will continue to watch. They may have another underrated winner on thier hands if things keep going as well as the 1st two epiosdes.

I have a feeling though that this may be another slow mover ala Rubicon which may draw a lot from people away from it. From me Rubicon was a sore spot as I really liked that show .
post #5 of 1189 Old 04-04-2011, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Watched the 1st episodes as well today. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would and will continue to watch. They may have another underrated winner on thier hands if things keep going as well as the 1st two epiosdes.

I have a feeling though that this may be another slow mover ala Rubicon which may draw a lot from people away from it. From me Rubicon was a sore spot as I really liked that show .

If it's anything like the Danish version(and so far, I'm about an hour in and watching right now and it's almost identical to it), it's one of the most engrossing shows I've ever watched. I could not stop and if you like the first two hours I don't think they'll lose many along the way, next weeks numbers may very well hold up. Of course this is all my personal opinion, but there is no way I would/could have stopped watching after three episodes.

I feel like the viewers that come back next week will more than likely be there for the long haul.
post #6 of 1189 Old 04-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Great show so far.
post #7 of 1189 Old 04-04-2011, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
It's hooked me after the first episode. Michelle Forbes is awesome, as usual, and, as stated above, the interaction between the two detectives is great ( wasn't so sure about the guy at first, but I've quickly warmed up to him). Also think the score works really well. I'm in.
post #8 of 1189 Old 04-04-2011, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

It's hooked me after the first episode. Michelle Forbes is awesome, as usual, and, as stated above, the interaction between the two detectives is great ( wasn't so sure about the guy at first, but I've quickly warmed up to him). Also think the score works really well. I'm in.

Too bad the video is low quality for HD. It averaged only about a 11.6 Mbps bitrate for the two hours. Sigh...

Nice to see Ro Laren, though.
post #9 of 1189 Old 04-05-2011, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
This.
This is how crime drama is done!
post #10 of 1189 Old 04-05-2011, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I agree with everyone. I know I like a show when I realize that the episode has ended and I still want more.

Very good show.

I think RUbicon lost it's way, and was trying to be too clever for it's own good. You've got to give the viewers some nuggets to chew on, and Rubicon left most people scratching their heads and impatient. This show seems to have the right balance of mood and balanced plotline to keep the viewers interested and wanting more.

BTW, bitrate aside, I think the show is shot very well.
post #11 of 1189 Old 04-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
I too enjoyed the first show and will continue watching. Very gritty and realistic.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #12 of 1189 Old 04-05-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The shadow of "Twin Peaks" is long. Most important series in television history.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #13 of 1189 Old 04-05-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

The shadow of "Twin Peaks" is long. Most important series in television history.

Definitely! The wife and I did some comparisons after watching "The Killing". We both loved Twin Peaks (watching every episode), visiting North Bend, WA, pretty much the first weekend we moved to Washington (just after the series was cancelled), where many of the outdoor scenes were filmed. (This included stopping at the Mar T diner for some "damn fine coffee and cherry pie", although I don't drink coffee and unfortunately the cherry pie was "grocery store frozen" quality - the diner's owners were cashing in on the series popularity by using cheap pie.)

There's obvious influences in Killing from Twin Peaks (including the tag line), but I don't think Killing will be as quirky. Specifically, I don't expect any dancing dwarves, killler BOBs, dream sequences with giants, log ladies or unusual deductive techniques (didn't Agent Cooper throw rocks at bottles at one point to figure out suspects?) But I do expect many character perversities and dark undertones to surface, and would not be surprised to see a hidden or mysterious side to the murdered teen (as in TP). (I haven't seen the Danish version of Killing, so I'm just guessing.)

Cliff
post #14 of 1189 Old 04-05-2011, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I click on the thread thinking that American Movie Classics would be showing Kubrick's classic film ,"The Killing" in HD. Instead its a TV show, on American Movie Classics????
post #15 of 1189 Old 04-05-2011, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylab View Post

Instead its a TV show, on American Movie Classics????

AMC has a few original series. All are meritorious thus far.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #16 of 1189 Old 04-05-2011, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

I click on the thread thinking that American Movie Classics would be showing Kubrick's classic film ,"The Killing" in HD. Instead its a TV show, on American Movie Classics????

Title changed to reflect that it is indeed a TV series.

Enjoyed the first ep and like others though of Twin Peaks
post #17 of 1189 Old 04-05-2011, 07:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Too bad the video is low quality for HD. It averaged only about a 11.6 Mbps bitrate for the two hours. Sigh...

Nice to see Ro Laren, though.

Ran at 13.6 Mbps here via Comcast, that's minus commercials, bumpers and previews, 12.9 with them included.
post #18 of 1189 Old 04-05-2011, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

Is it even called "American Movie Classics" anymore? I thought that name had been trashed by this outfit years ago. TCM took that aspect over.

post #19 of 1189 Old 04-06-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Was on MGM HD a couple months back for the first time in HD, got it archived. As for the TV show, impressive stuff.
post #20 of 1189 Old 04-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

No AMC-HD on DirecTv just keeps getting more and more painful...
post #21 of 1189 Old 04-06-2011, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Didn't AMC start going downhill in the 80's when that woman (I forget her name) took over the helm and decided that what movie classics needed were commercial interruptions?
post #22 of 1189 Old 04-06-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I guess it must just be me but other than some inch-deep similarities (dead teenage girl and pacific northwest) I can hardly think of a show that has less in common with Twin Peaks.

The Killing is brutally real while Twin Peaks never was -- it always inhabited a slightly off-kilter world that you could never quite picture a real person walking into. It was rural while The Killing is urban, and the tone and character types couldn't be less similar. As was said upthread, there will be no pies, no dancing dwarves, no lady trying to perfect silent drapery runners. The Killing is in the real world where Twin Peaks never was.
post #23 of 1189 Old 04-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

It certainly made a splash and I loved it at the time, but - especially in retrospect - it was hardly "important." In fact, Twin Peaks might be one of the most overrated important shows ever.
post #24 of 1189 Old 04-06-2011, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Amazon has the first two episodes in 720p HD for free currently. Never watched an amazon HD video download before so I don't know about the quality.
post #25 of 1189 Old 04-06-2011, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoon View Post
Amazon has the first two episodes in 720p HD for free currently. Never watched an amazon HD video download before so I don't know about the quality.
Given the fact that Rainbow is piping two of its HD channels on what used to be the bandwidth of one, I can't possibly imagine how it could be worse.

The first two episodes are also free for download on iTunes.
post #26 of 1189 Old 04-07-2011, 01:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post
Given the fact that Rainbow is piping two of its HD channels on what used to be the bandwidth of one, I can't possibly imagine how it could be worse.

The first two episodes are also free for download on iTunes.
Did Rainbow Media switch to MPEG4 distribution, or did they just further compress their MPEG2 feeds?
post #27 of 1189 Old 04-07-2011, 02:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 34
This just didn't work for me. And I'm glad I don't live in the Seattle area.
post #28 of 1189 Old 04-07-2011, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Agree about the Seattle area. Even just watching the rain was depressing. The show isn't bad. I'll probably continue to watch. The young whipper snapper detective is somewhat intriguing. It will be interesting to see how they develop him. So far, I could take or leave the Big Love alum.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #29 of 1189 Old 04-07-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post

No AMC-HD on DirecTv just keeps getting more and more painful...

Yeah, I subscribed to the full season of this show on iTunes in order to get it in HD. Wish I could deduct that $32 from my DirecTV bill ...
post #30 of 1189 Old 04-07-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoon View Post

I've downloaded a few episodes of "Modern Family" from Amazon -- compared it to the OTA broadcast and Amazon looked better! (both playing through TiVo Premiere).
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page